Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
So every channel will have a paid sub option whether the creator currently has ads on their channel or not? Or is it saying "if you currently are partnered or make AdSense money, you have to switch to this or turn off monetisation altogether"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

It's not going to affect people who don't monetise their channels is it?

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
The way I read it is that it's going to be like twitch where each channel would have their own subscription. Which is insane with a min $10 just to see a channels videos. I of course could be wrong and they could be going the Netflix route where you don't get any content unless you have a subscription.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Angrymog posted:

It's not going to affect people who don't monetise their channels is it?

It will force them to have ads on their videos even if they don't want them.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Major_JF posted:

It will force them to have ads on their videos even if they don't want them.

It's a weird sort of compromise, but it makes sense.

Non-monetized videos really just hurt Google. They have to pay for hosting, search indexing, etc. and there's just nothing to offset the cost for those. It's also kinda why YouTube's not keen on fixing copyright issues - if someone wants to claim a non-monetized video, hey, Google's getting 50% as opposed to none.

I haven't really looked into the details of this, though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pewdiepie is starring in his own game

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

A pixel-art platformer. Oh and it's for mobile devices…

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So it's like Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures but starring Pewdiepie.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

It would appear so. Why does every internet famous person need their own game? They're almost always made by a no-name company and it's almost always a really uninteresting concept with the titular people being basically the only draw.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Dinky video games have been a natural extension of merchandising for years now. I guess they figure this has more appeal to that particular demographic than lunchboxes and action figures.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
But I need an ironic PDP poster to go with my ironic Justin Bieber poster.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Make it with pixel graphics and you hook another group of people because it looks "nostalgic".

It also hooks in streamers who hate Pewdiepie to buy it just to mock him.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Remember when the "Yogcast" stole a couple dozen thousand dollars? Good ol' Kickstarter.
EDIT: Oh wait it was actually half a million dollars, ha.

HGH fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 14, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Unless I can get a flamethrower, what's the point?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Well at least some people will be able to kill Pewdiepie without going to jail now.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Dinky video games have been a natural extension of merchandising for years now. I guess they figure this has more appeal to that particular demographic than lunchboxes and action figures.

I would totally buy a PDP action figure with kung-fu grip and says 1 of 5 different phases when you push his fist in.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4PnboqFwiI

Well, it's not wrong.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Correct on the subject of basically everything except for the quality of the Duck Dynasty game, which we on SA learned recently is actually fantastic.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

CJacobs posted:

Correct on the subject of basically everything except for the quality of the Duck Dynasty game, which we on SA learned recently is actually fantastic.

What, you don't think stupid knee-jerk opinions are part of the package?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

I'm kinda disappointed College Humor didn't include a joke about the truck.

Also, I'm currently sitting on thetruckcomesatsix.tumblr.com in case I need to make a Duck Dynasty fan/creepypasta blog.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

Followers of the Java Guys learned it ages ago, in a superior format :ssh:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The guy who made the offical F.A.Q. made a let's play of the game he LFAQed?!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Singh Long posted:

Sorry to bring up DSP, but it looks like he finally tried to deal with the TIHYDP vids by flagging them, then have Machinima flag them on his behalf when that didn't work. So much for Fair Use.

It might as well be noted that Sebastapol Queen's TIHYDP Bloodborne video has been uploaded to another channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoDR3UtDX7Y

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Leaving this here.

Big Scary Owl posted:

I posted about a survey that someone made on Reddit about the let's play subculture some time ago (in the old Sandcastle, if I recall), and the person has posted the results and their study on the data.

I just stumbled upon it now and haven't had a chance to look at it, but this might be interesting so I decided to share here.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Leaving this here.

Lest anyone possibly imagine otherwise, there's no reason to look at this as anything other than an informal survey of the 152 random strangers on Reddit who decided to voluntarily self-select as responders. It's equally as valid (which is to say, pretty limited in scope) as if someone were to post a thread here in LP and end up with about the same number of answers over the course of a few days, although I imagine the SA LP responses would be rather different. It's a nice anecdote, but I'm not sure I'd call it useful data.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

YouTuber, Viner, Student, Rapper, Actor, Celebrity Chef, Wise Guy and Camera Operator

:allears:

The person who described their occupation as this is great. If you describe yourself as a 'wise guy' you are in fact not a wise guy.

edit:

quote:

It's really strange to think about it, isn't it? Why would anyone watch videos of someone playing a video game, when they could just as easily go play it themselves? It's difficult to explain, but I'll try. For me, I think it goes back to something I've always done. You see, when I was a kid, me and my brother would play games together a lot. Sometimes they were multiplayer, but most of the time they were singleplayer. My brother was always a lot better than me at the games (He's also 4 years older), so I would usually just watch him play. I could just wait for him to stop playing to play myself, but I had something else in mind. While I watched my brother play, we could both experience the game together. That's what it's all about. Experiencing something together. With YouTube, it's like I'm my brother, and the entire internet is me, watching and experiencing the game with me. We laugh together, we help each other through rough parts of the game, offer tips, and just enjoy each others company. That, is why I watch Let's Plays, and make them as well.

This dude got philosophical

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 20, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I want to see the vines from celebrity chef cam-op guy. Please send me the vines.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

CJacobs posted:

:allears:

The person who described their occupation as this is great. If you describe yourself as a 'wise guy' you are in fact not a wise guy.

Honestly, I wish I had enough self confidence to describe my occupation(s) like that.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

CJacobs posted:

It works better when you translate "wise guy" to "rear end in a top hat".

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's like the adult version of calling yourself the "Class clown"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Listing 'I make Vine videos' as an occupation is like listing 'I brush my teeth every morning' on your resume. Like yeah good for you but that's like the lowest possible least important good thing about you that you could list.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Danaru posted:

It's like the adult version of calling yourself the "Class clown"

It's more like a stay at home mother listing "personal driver, chef, negotiator, caretaker, accountant..." On her resume, but sadder.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

Please send me the vines.

Here you go:

https://vine.co/v/O9F3YIjzMmn
https://vine.co/v/O9O2YFE1TQd
https://vine.co/v/O0BE0POt0Mw
https://vine.co/v/O20LULI62ZE
https://vine.co/v/O0MahJ7wKuJ
https://vine.co/v/OxDu7DmaEPT

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Game Grumps Animated are typically pretty good but this is just gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ5xHcnTcKI

The original episode is also pretty good.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The Grumps have a very particular style, that is pretty fun from time to time but that can get grating if you overexpose yourself to them, especially when Arin takes center stage.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
so many grumps apologists here you all give money to arin the sellout :allears:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Big Scary Owl posted:

so many grumps apologists here you all give money to arin the sellout :allears:

I don't know poo poo about game grumps or arin or whatever but 99% of the time this is just a really bullshit excuse to hate someone and the person saying it is usually an rear end in a top hat. Just FYI.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I remember when someone posted a video of the Game Grumps drawing out a single poop joke over an entire 11 minute video and in the end no one was sure if it even was a joke anymore and Arin really had pooped his pants. I admire his dedication to the craft. He'd rather poo poo his pants than interrupt a video that just started to go to the restroom. And even if that's not what happened, it means he'd rather risk that the audience thinks he just pooped himself than to not make an 11 minute long poop joke.

Making lovely jokes doesn't mean others shouldn't enjoy them but I sure as hell think the game grumps are lovely. Not only for that reason. I generally don't like their style but the above example is a good one if you wanna get off of the Grumporinos

E: http://gamegrumps.wikia.com/wiki/Arin_Poops_His_Pants
E2: Yeah, linking to the wiki so their videos won't show up in my recommendations again.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 24, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I've said this before, but Game Grumps would be way more watchable if you just cut Arin out of the equation. I get that what I'm saying is wholly unreasonable, but there are so many videos where like, Danny or whoever is talking about what's happening in the game and making relevant jokes while Arin is busy making fart jokes and weird noises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
If Game Grumps was just Danny, Ross, and Barry, I would watch it again. Steam Train was great until Arin had to get involved.

I showed my mom Pewdiepie the other day. I told her about the most popular person on the internet and how he makes millions of dollars doing what he does. I loaded up his page and showed her the first video on there, which was a montage video of his "funniest" moments. She could only make it a minute. All she could do was shake her head and keep repeating "He must be doing something right..."

I asked her what would she think if I was doing videos like he was, screaming like that and behaving like him and making millions of dollars. Her response: "Well, you'd be a millionaire. But at the expense of your dignity, so..."

"He must be doing something right..."

• Locked thread