Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MononcQc posted:

Well l'Académie is in France (and has 1 Quebecer on its board),

do they have any idea what he's saying?

because no one else does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

univbee posted:

the language police: ensuring that JUMBO DELI is always going to be half the size of DELI JUMBO.

One of my local friends has told me they're getting a fine because their linux servers are configured in English rather than French, which is really hosed up.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
can someone make a gif of this crying?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

MononcQc posted:

One of my local friends has told me they're getting a fine because their linux servers are configured in English rather than French, which is really hosed up.

should have installed linux beret

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kenny Logins posted:

anyone who believes in an internal locus of control actuated through and only through untreated orthorexia is a god drat middle class white lady aged 20-60

haha wow did i post the wrong thing. i meant anybody who believes in the internal locus of control is blind. woops

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

french or french-canadian ?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

infernal machines posted:

can someone make a gif of this crying?

should be a jos louis cake

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MononcQc posted:

every server we support has a dummy user with the french mui configured if the language police come snooping around

iirc it's not an outright fine, it's more you get tax benefits if your it infrastructure is completely in french (or can prove some specific piece of software you need has no french equivalent).

unfortunately this means that some amazingly garbage software does quite well commercially simply because they're the only game in town with a french version

i still remember that vendor that called us wanting to know how we got their own piece of software working :psyduck:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar posted:

french or french-canadian ?

There is such a thing as a French international standard. The locale difference between FR and FR-CA is mostly for keyboard layouts and dollar signs, but you also have Canadian Multilingual Standard and others.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

MononcQc posted:

There is such a thing as a French international standard. The locale difference between FR and FR-CA is mostly for keyboard layouts and dollar signs, but you also have Canadian Multilingual Standard and others.

there is however, no accounting for pronunciation

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

there is however, no accounting for pronunciation
There is such a thing as International French pronounciation.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

MononcQc posted:

There is such a thing as International French pronounciation.

no poo poo. i'm just loving that the wiki you pointed to also takes great pains to state that that's still not what they speak in quebec

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

hmm

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm an anglo so i give no fucks either way. i'm just saying, if you're going to claim to speak french at least enunciate a little

you don't have to chew all your syllables up and gargle them

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

remove the tomato soup and add some ground pork and allspice and it's pretty close to traditional Swedish kåldolmar.

deliciuos and fartastic!

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

no poo poo. i'm just loving that the wiki you pointed to also takes great pains to state that that's still not what they speak in quebec

It's what they speak on newscasts and in movie translations and on many TV shows and on most radio shows, theatre, or in public speeches even. It's not what people talk day to day, but it's like a formal version of the language everyone can understand and most people can speak with minor or no amounts of training. It's like a "clean French" that matches what you write, rather than the usual inflexions you speak every day.

It's the pronunciation I switch to when I speak to people from France who are unfamiliar with the Quebec accent and it's pretty much effortless.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

haha wow did i post the wrong thing. i meant anybody who believes in the internal locus of control is blind. woops
yeah it's not really cut and dried but i think we can agree that anyone who thinks absolute radical self-determination/"the secret" law of attraction type internal locus of control is at least as deluded if not moreso than an absolute fatalist

then again the whole psych concept is only really describing how different personalities approach decisions and consequences, it's not even trying to describe actual causality so w/e

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

axolotl farmer posted:

remove the tomato soup and add some ground pork and allspice and it's pretty close to traditional Swedish kåldolmar.

deliciuos and fartastic!
reminds me that grape leaf dolma is v. pro and i should go out to the local place and have it again sometime soon

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

you don't have to chew all your syllables up and gargle them

EDIT awww dangit embedding not allowed

http://youtu.be/AWjmJwmLltY?t=291

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

space bitch ate mi jizz

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

ladies :smug:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

axolotl farmer posted:

deliciuos and fartastic!

ah yeah looks delicious. ill drink it w/ some fermented milk and poisonous fish soaked in lye :sweden:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

why do they wear dog-tags in space? like anyone's gonna find anything if they suddenly de-orbit and re-enter the atmosphere

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

pram posted:

ah yeah looks delicious. ill drink it w/ some fermented milk and poisonous fish soaked in lye :sweden:

quote:

Health
The Wisconsin Employees' Right to Know Law specifically exempts lutefisk in defining "toxic substances".[8]

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

univbee posted:

That's a fan dub. Here's an actual dub example: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2bwvph_henri-pis-sa-gang-alias-led-rois-du-texas-un-noel-d-enfer_shortfilms

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

reminds me that grape leaf dolma is v. pro and i should go out to the local place and have it again sometime soon

that's the origin according to legend. King Karl XII spent six years in Turkey after a failed war against Russia in the 1700s, and the earliest recipes call for grape leaves instead of cabbage.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

univbee posted:

that's far more comprehensible than your average qubecer

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cheese-cube posted:

why do they wear dog-tags in space? like anyone's gonna find anything if they suddenly de-orbit and re-enter the atmosphere

counter point, why is she drinking space jizz???

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ahh, i knew it was unofficial but didn't know dm had the official dubs, thanks! (you can tell it's the official hank/henri hill because it's the same voice as quebec ned flanders :stonk:)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

pram posted:

fermented milk owns, sorry about the bland dead stuff you call yoghurt in the US.

we have lots of varieties of fermented milk with actual live cultures in them. tasty and good for you too.

otoh lutfisk is terrible. about as much flavor as a boiled kitchen tissue roll. :geno:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Valeyard posted:

yeah i did notice that but..poo poo this is a big ask valeyard...if you cld just drag your mind away from thinking about jizz for 1 minute then poo poo....maybe you'd be able to make a good post

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

univbee posted:

ahh, i knew it was unofficial but didn't know dm had the official dubs, thanks! (you can tell it's the official hank/henri hill because it's the same voice as quebec ned flanders :stonk:)

Yeah, there's a group of ~10 people that do most of the voiceovers for translations, most of which have worked on the Simpsons sooner or later. Hubert Gagnon does Homer Simpson, Bernard Fortin does Ned/Hank, Marc Labrèche does Krusty, Joel Legendre (before he got caught masturbating in a park) does Jimbo, etc.

It becomes weird because they always use the same people to do the same actors (e.g. Legendre does DiCaprio, Hubert Gagnon does Mel Gibson) so whenever actors or voices meet, the same guy does many of them. This happens when Homer meets Mel Gibson and the same guy does half the dialogue of the show on his own. So

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MononcQc posted:

Yeah, there's a group of ~10 people that do most of the voiceovers for translations, most of which have worked on the Simpsons sooner or later. Hubert Gagnon does Homer Simpson, Bernard Fortin does Ned/Hank, Marc Labrèche does Krusty, Joel Legendre (before he got caught masturbating in a park) does Jimbo, etc.

It becomes weird because they always use the same people to do the same actors (e.g. Legendre does DiCaprio, Hubert Gagnon does Mel Gibson) so whenever actors or voices meet, the same guy does many of them. This happens when Homer meets Mel Gibson and the same guy does half the dialogue of the show on his own. So

lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MononcQc posted:

also isn't emperor palpatine in episodes 1-3 voiced by the guy who reads out the winning lotto numbers?

Skarp
Sep 27, 2013

qui est le garcon au milieu?

oui, c'est guy ma cousin!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Valeyard posted:

for protein

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
kintetsu semi-express to nagoya:

hikari shinkansen towards hiroshima:

trains.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Phone posted:

kintetsu semi-express to nagoya:

hikari shinkansen towards hiroshima: