Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

When I close the Firefox window and open it the next day, it opens to the home page instead of my windows and tabs from last time, I can't seem to access the menu button on the side of the bookmarks button or the tab groups button, also when I click the tab groups button and open a new tab, all the other tabs disappear. I would close out the new tab and enter the tab groups window and have no way of exiting. I would click on a tab I want to go to and it would shrink back down instead of giving me access to the window and also I am unable to close out the browser, I would have to enter task manager to close Firefox. Can anyone help me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Thunderfinger posted:

When I close the Firefox window and open it the next day, it opens to the home page instead of my windows and tabs from last time, I can't seem to access the menu button on the side of the bookmarks button or the tab groups button, also when I click the tab groups button and open a new tab, all the other tabs disappear. I would close out the new tab and enter the tab groups window and have no way of exiting. I would click on a tab I want to go to and it would shrink back down instead of giving me access to the window and also I am unable to close out the browser, I would have to enter task manager to close Firefox. Can anyone help me?

It sounds like something is messed up with your profile, have you tried refreshing it? (about :support -> Refresh Firefox) This will reset your settings, remove your add-ons, etc, but will leave your cookies, browsing history and other data alone. (You can see the full details here.)

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Mr.Radar posted:

It sounds like something is messed up with your profile, have you tried refreshing it? (about :support -> Refresh Firefox) This will reset your settings, remove your add-ons, etc, but will leave your cookies, browsing history and other data alone. (You can see the full details here.)

Yes, this helped out a lot. Thank you very much.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
I think I accidentally got permanently rid of the reload/back/forward buttons on the context menu while tinkering with Menu Editor. Its "reset all" option doesn't bring them back. Is there some tweak I can do or extension I can install to get back a simple "reload" option in my context menu?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Maha posted:

I think I accidentally got permanently rid of the reload/back/forward buttons on the context menu while tinkering with Menu Editor. Its "reset all" option doesn't bring them back. Is there some tweak I can do or extension I can install to get back a simple "reload" option in my context menu?
Do they come back if you uninstall Menu Editor?

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

Knormal posted:

Do they come back if you uninstall Menu Editor?

They do (as text instead of images), but they're gone again if I reinstall.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Have you tried installing a different menu editor :haw:

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

I've recently noticed the unexpected behavior of View Page Source. I'm on 37.0.1 right now, I'm logged in to SA, and when I do right-click - View Page Source, what I'm seeing is a source of the page you see when you're not logged in, complete with "Special Message From Senor Lowtax" and that bullshit boogeyman.mp4 video on autoplay. Is this a new normal? Is this how it's always been? Am I seeing things?

I'm in Safe Mode right now, everything is disabled (hello ads).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Maha posted:

They do (as text instead of images), but they're gone again if I reinstall.
I'm using this but I'm guessing that's not really what you mean.

Or hell, maybe installing and removing it will reset the default options?

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
I installed Menu Wizard and it's better anyway. Thanks, guys.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Even on a freshly cleaned, reset, installed Firefox with no extensions, I can't get above 30 FPS on Youtube videos that I KNOW to be 60 FPS, either in Flash or HTML5. I know them to be 60 FPS because they run fine in Chrome, in either mode, and in the Stats for Nerds, I get tons of dropped frames. Hardware Acceleration on Flash doesn't seem to affect it. Anyone have any ideas?

(edit) My machine is beefy enough to run GTA V at 60 FPS on high settings, this isn't a clunker. Just to clear that up :v:

Also running Waterfox doesn't seem to help.

Nevermind, Firefox was on 36, HTML5 apparently got fixed on 37. Stupid me for never restarting computer. :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 17, 2015

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm going to have to reinstall. I'm on 38 and HTML5 playback is still completely broken.

Edit 3: I think having media.windows-media-foundation.enabled set to FALSE was the root of things, and I probably had a... reason for setting that way back when. Things are still twitchy, but better than no HTML5 at all.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 18, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bieeardo posted:

I think I'm going to have to reinstall. I'm on 38 and HTML5 playback is still completely broken.

Edit 3: I think having media.windows-media-foundation.enabled set to FALSE was the root of things, and I probably had a... reason for setting that way back when. Things are still twitchy, but better than no HTML5 at all.

Have you been on beta releases for a while? One of the earlier betas months back had a crashing issue with MSE enabled for a while on some computers, so the advice was to disable it then.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That might have been it. I was on Aurora for ages, until they changed that to Developer Edition, and bumped back to Beta from there.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Bieeardo posted:

That might have been it. I was on Aurora for ages, until they changed that to Developer Edition, and bumped back to Beta from there.

How come you stopped using the Developer Edition?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The rebranding, new UI and skins made me step back and realize that I wasn't a developer, didn't need any of the new bits, and that going to the beta version would be easier than making the DE feel like it 'should'. That and I'd probably have fewer addons break from update to update.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Why isn't there a "Share through Firefox Sync" service for desktop Firefox like there is standard on the Android version? It should be as easy to send urls in the other direction as well.

I have no idea how those things are written or I would do it myself.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

More uBlock drama. It seems that we may have to switch version again:

quote:

I have exhausted all assumption of good faith I could give, this is currently what I see about the chrisaljoudi/uBlock repo:
  • uBlock is still the product of a whole lot of work by many different contributors
  • Removing authorship information
  • Misrepresentation: uBlock is "made [...] by Chris"
  • To me it does appear most of the work by @chrisaljoudi since taking over has been to market uBlock.
  • @chrisaljoudi actively seeking donations to "make uBlock happens"[8]
  • On December 13th 2014, @chrisaljoudi wrote me, he was interested to "send over [...] < $1,000 to support the work on the Safari version"[9]
Bluntly said, my opinion from what I have observed, and in hindsight, I now believe @chrisaljoudi's primary motivation is to cash in on uBlock. [...] Given all this, I will just keep developing uBlock Origin as if I was working on the original repo.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Maintainership-transfer-of-uBlock%3A-post-mortem

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

natlampe posted:

More uBlock drama. It seems that we may have to switch version again:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Maintainership-transfer-of-uBlock%3A-post-mortem

Hmm, the Chrome webstore version switched to uBlock Origin, but AMO has the bad maintainer version and I had to install from github: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases

Grim Up North fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 25, 2015

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I never got round to switching in the first place. Do I have to do anything?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I never got round to switching in the first place. Do I have to do anything?

Does the shield icon have "uo" on it, and the pop-up say uBlock Origin? If no you'd have to reinstall.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Grim Up North posted:

Does the shield icon have "uo" on it, and the pop-up say uBlock Origin? If no you'd have to reinstall.

That brings me to the questions: Does it autoupdate from github without needing to be in Firefox beta and how much of a pain is it to transfer my settings and filters?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
There is no auto updating, and what settings, settings consists of like 4 check boxes so just recheck everything and copy/paste your filters to a text file and copy them back into the uBlock0 one.

Also all this drama over an addon is stupid, Gorhill whats his ball back and Chris whats to make some money for his time.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Im_Special posted:

Also all this drama over an addon is stupid, Gorhill whats his ball back and Chris whats to make some money for his time.
Seriously, he's offended the new dev started accepting donations and offered shares to people working on the project.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I read the thing and that's not what it says he's upset about vOv

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I think his point was that the other guy wasn't actually doing anything, just taking changes made by other people and repackaging them so it looks like he wrote it, then collecting all the donation money for his hard work.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Nalin posted:

I think his point was that the other guy wasn't actually doing anything, just taking changes made by other people and repackaging them so it looks like he wrote it, then collecting all the donation money for his hard work.
This is my best interpretation of the events as well.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Read posted:

I read the thing and that's not what it says he's upset about vOv
It really is though. He's upset that the new maintainer is making it "about the money" by collecting donations and handing them out to the people who are working on the project. It's great that gorhill has a good paying job or is independently wealthy or something, but he shouldn't get upset that once he abandoned the project the people who carried on the work thought it would be nice to get paid for it.

Nalin posted:

It seems that gorhill had this fantasy where he could just step away from the project and "the community" would take it over and keep it going in exactly the way he would have. The reality is that he announced he was abandoning the project with no notice and picked this guy to be the new maintainer, and the new guy made some entirely reasonable decisions for the project in that capacity, but because they are different from what gorhill would have done he's getting all pissy about it. As the new maintainer of course he's going to update the attribution statements, and it's entirely normal and common projects to accept donations and pay them to contributors. If gorhill (or anyone) had a problem with any of this they probably should have discussed it with the new maintainer like adults rather than admittedly ignoring his emails and then trying to yank the project back after a few weeks.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Nalin posted:

Here is Chris's Philosophy on uBlock, I'm not seeing where the torches are pitchforks are suppose to come into play here. Even Gorhill said himself that "uBlock is mature, most issues encountered nowadays are with the filter lists", are you expecting Chris to rewrite the entire thing from scratch to make it look like hes doing more" It's basically finished. Besides I like some of the changes Chris has made with the original, like how checking "I'm an advance user" still allows for mouse over tool tips. Like why the gently caress not. He also said he was going to make the element picker easier to use which is really needed because Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus has spoiled me.

Literally a man baby this Gorhill.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Is he distributing the donations to other contributors? Because that's my only real concern here (besides the charge of filing off contributor markings), and I know better than to take one angry nerd's side at face value.

Edit: Wasn't it Gorhill who wanted to hand the project off, but keep the project pages? All I remember is when this stuff first started, I had a really weird feeling, like that tension in your temples when a drama storm is on the horizon.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 25, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Im_Special posted:

like how checking "I'm an advance user" still allows for mouse over tool tips. Like why the gently caress not.
Inspired by this I just checked out what's behind that checkmark and that dynamic filter thing's interface is the most awful, unintuitive thing I've ever seen, interface-wise. Horrifying. The Policeman addon does this right.

Karnivool
May 28, 2009
So which version of uBlock should we be using?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
They both do the same thing, just stick to the one you have so you won't have to migrate your settings, or if when you look at uBlock and say to yourself "I have no clue what any of this stuff means" then maybe, eventually, Chris's version will be best for your needs because he plans to make it more user friendly. None of them auto-update yet either, so you're going to have to update them manually for a while still until AMO's reviews finish, which can take up to 2 months, the downside to Gorhill's version is he pushes out several updates a day/week to his builds, this is great if you like bleeding edge, but also comes with a negative that they might be less stable/bug free then Chris's one who is slower to push out 'stable' builds, but slow means more time for user feedback/fixing.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Well I hope you guys feel bad now (not you guys mostly reddit and their pitchforks), Chris felt like he needed to explain himself what with all this drama so he made a Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D1TpddtVUA

Read
Dec 21, 2010

This video is really long so I'm not going to watch it all but he seems like a nice & reasonable person imo.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
There is a certain level of irony about the drama being "people should be paid for their work" when the point of the add-on is to block ads.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ads are not work

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Sweevo posted:

ads are not work

Isn't it the other "free" content that's showing you ads the work that the ads are paying for?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Merkinman posted:

There is a certain level of irony about the drama being "people should be paid for their work" when the point of the add-on is to block ads.

Honestly I'd be fine with ads if I could rely on the major ad services to always catch malicious ads before they go live, and there weren't sites that cause my browser to hang because all the advertising is just that lovely.

Alternatively, if Firefox provided a way to telepathically induce aneurisms in lovely advertisers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Honestly I'd be fine with ads if I could rely on the major ad services to always catch malicious ads before they go live, and there weren't sites that cause my browser to hang because all the advertising is just that lovely.

Alternatively, if Firefox provided a way to telepathically induce aneurisms in lovely advertisers.

And the advertising companies paid me for all the bandwidth their ads are wasting, delivered me new batteries mid way through the day to make up for the battery impact, and didn't ever have moving or interstitial ads.