Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DizzyBum posted:

I've been reading about the GTX 970 VRAM split issue. Pretty sure I still want to go with this card as it's right in my budget, but I want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot.

This is going into a gaming system built with Steam in-home streaming as a consideration. I don't play any overly-taxing games, mostly Final Fantasy XIV and TF2, and some PS3/360-era games like Dark Souls. I don't know if the streaming adds any extra overhead onto the GPU, or if the CPU takes the brunt of that.

When could I expect to run into issues? I've heard that it really only happens on some newer games with maxed-out settings. I'm seeing quite a few people online going apeshit over it, but I feel like the problem is really overblown for what seems like an otherwise great GPU.

Also, does anyone have recommendations for graphics features I can lower/disable to avoid the bottleneck on the card? No idea if there's any recommended practice like "try lowering this feature first" or if it's just trial and error based on each game/application.

I use a 970 and play FFXIV primarily just like you and the only place I see low frame rates is when standing around Limsa with like a hundred other players on screen. Any actual situation where you would care about your frame rate like CT or coil runs just fine. It's paired with an i7 2600k overclocked to 4.5Ghz and 16GB of system ram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

HalloKitty posted:

Hah, no, I was referring to the possibility of Titan X SLI - lightly teasing him because of his history of buying a lot of high end cards. I'd love a Titan X myself, though...

It's not, I replaced 980 SLI so that I don't have to deal with that crap anymore. 1 card from here on out unless someone hands me a 2nd card for free.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks for the 970 info!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I use a 970 and play FFXIV primarily just like you and the only place I see low frame rates is when standing around Limsa with like a hundred other players on screen. Any actual situation where you would care about your frame rate like CT or coil runs just fine. It's paired with an i7 2600k overclocked to 4.5Ghz and 16GB of system ram.

This is nice and specific, I appreciate it. :) Are your settings maxed out?

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.

veedubfreak posted:

So I was on vacation lat week. Finally got the Titan X in. It's running stable on water with modded bios at 1499/8000 :) Temps top out at 39C. This thing is a monster. No regrets.

Nice, that's a hell of an overclock from stock. How far past the normal BIOS limits on power and voltage have you pushed with your modded one, out of curiosity?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Daviclond posted:

Nice, that's a hell of an overclock from stock. How far past the normal BIOS limits on power and voltage have you pushed with your modded one, out of curiosity?

Stock bios only allows 110% power target. This bios allows 150% power target. There appears to be a hard lock to something like 1.285v. The bios I have is supposed to allow higher but most people using it that had put a multimeter to it show that it still only allows 1.285v or so. Before the new bios I was only able to push it to around 1400mhz. The problem with getting proper benchmarks is that I can't seem to pin down anything that will run at 7880x1440. About the best comparisons I can do are to run Heaven at ultra. The one thing I have found is that I no longer get the dips into the 30s that I was getting with SLI 980. It might not be as much pure muscle as 2 980s, but it's a LOT more consistent.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

DizzyBum posted:

I've been reading about the GTX 970 VRAM split issue. Pretty sure I still want to go with this card as it's right in my budget, but I want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot.

This is going into a gaming system built with Steam in-home streaming as a consideration. I don't play any overly-taxing games, mostly Final Fantasy XIV and TF2, and some PS3/360-era games like Dark Souls. I don't know if the streaming adds any extra overhead onto the GPU, or if the CPU takes the brunt of that.

When could I expect to run into issues? I've heard that it really only happens on some newer games with maxed-out settings. I'm seeing quite a few people online going apeshit over it, but I feel like the problem is really overblown for what seems like an otherwise great GPU.

Also, does anyone have recommendations for graphics features I can lower/disable to avoid the bottleneck on the card? No idea if there's any recommended practice like "try lowering this feature first" or if it's just trial and error based on each game/application.

I run Dark Souls at 3840 x 2160 very smoothly. Far Cry 4 runs at or near 60 FPS at top detail. You'll be fine.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DizzyBum posted:

Thanks for the 970 info!

This is nice and specific, I appreciate it. :) Are your settings maxed out?

Yeah, using max settings at 1080p.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
So the GTA V drivers for Nvidia cards are supposedly doing bad things to some people's computers. Anyone updated to them yet with a 970 and windows 7 64bit? Don't want to frag my PC just a few hours from GTA V

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Skwee posted:

So the GTA V drivers for Nvidia cards are supposedly doing bad things to some people's computers. Anyone updated to them yet with a 970 and windows 7 64bit? Don't want to frag my PC just a few hours from GTA V

The game isn't even out yet (unless you're counting pirate releases?) for a couple more hours.

edit: ah, just saw the driver popup on Geforce Experience when I opened it up.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Party Plane Jones posted:

The game isn't even out yet (unless you're counting pirate releases?) for a couple more hours.

edit: ah, just saw the driver popup on Geforce Experience when I opened it up.

I'm talking about graphics driver releases, not game releases. Drivers are still gonna be installed by some people who aren't even going to play the game. (Not me though, ima play the poo poo out of that game)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Skwee posted:

What sort of issues? I installed the new driver a few hours ago but I haven't played any games yet.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Installed them as well and haven't had any problems so far in the games I've been playing.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Skwee posted:

I played FFXIV for a few hours today with the drivers with no issues. Maybe my computer will explode when I start GTA tonight.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Well there were reports of flickering screens and someone apparently got stuck in a restart loop, but then someone else mentioned that it wouldn't have been driver related, so idk what to believe.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Welp 2GB ain't gonna cut it for GTAV

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Khagan posted:

Welp 2GB ain't gonna cut it for GTAV

Eh you can go over the limit a little bit and be fine, if I turned up things any more I'd break 60.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Doesn't your graphics menu settings show a bar for your VRAM which goes up if you start increasing settings?

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Hace posted:

Eh you can go over the limit a little bit and be fine, if I turned up things any more I'd break 60.

I have 1.3GB and if I go over even a little bit, or someone tries to watch my Steam stream with the settings on the cusp, my computer will crash with an out-of-memory error. I should probably order a 970.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I didn't see the new driver update last night and kept running into crashes and loops in GTA 5 until I installed it. Running off an EVGA 780ti SC and an SSD at 3440x1440, I was able to keep things really smooth with 2 x MXAA on (TXAA/FXAA off) and everything else pretty much pushed to max. I had the game for PS4 and on a nice 70" but to my eyes it just looks and plays way better on PC so far. The full 3440 x 1440 is supported and it has been a very cinematic experience so far (probably helps that it is an IPS panel and shoved up in my face). Driving and shooting are both much, much better with a mouse and keyboard and afford you a level of control that makes for constant awesome action. As for weird stuff since the new drivers...twice now windows explorer has sort of crashed while I was playing a game (not necessarily GTA 5). I could alt+tab but all options lead to a blank screen. Restarting explorer would fix the issue.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 14, 2015

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Man I just get constant display driver crashes with my GTX 770, it's not even overclocked either. Should I try to increase to voltage on it to see if it stops?

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
A few months after building this pc ~2 years ago, Catalyst Control Center stopped working. For a long time, it would crash every time the computer started, so I just installed the drivers and nothing else. I reinstalled it at some point and feel I may have changed a setting in order to not get it to crash at startup..but I don't recall. In any case, I've uninstalled/reinstalled since then.

Other than just uninstalling/reinstalling which I've tried about 6 times, is there anything else I can try? It runs in my system tray, but I can't load up the control center itself. I'm using Windows 8.1 and the card is a Radeon HD 7900.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

A few months after building this pc ~2 years ago, Catalyst Control Center stopped working. For a long time, it would crash every time the computer started, so I just installed the drivers and nothing else. I reinstalled it at some point and feel I may have changed a setting in order to not get it to crash at startup..but I don't recall. In any case, I've uninstalled/reinstalled since then.

Other than just uninstalling/reinstalling which I've tried about 6 times, is there anything else I can try? It runs in my system tray, but I can't load up the control center itself. I'm using Windows 8.1 and the card is a Radeon HD 7900.

Could try reinstalling the latest .net framework 4.5

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I don't think anyone has even found ways to hit it really, let alone work around it. I certainly haven't, and I'm running 2x970 with things maxed all over the place.
Assuming that the video memory usage thing in GTA V is correct we may finally have a game which can test this, since it's possible to push it well over 3.5GB by maxing out everything at 1920x1200.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

g0del posted:

Assuming that the video memory usage thing in GTA V is correct we may finally have a game which can test this, since it's possible to push it well over 3.5GB by maxing out everything at 1920x1200.

I think the access pattern matters too; I wouldn't be surprised if some of the work for the "GTA V version" of the NVIDIA drivers are to tune for exactly that.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

teh_Broseph posted:

Could try reinstalling the latest .net framework 4.5

It won't let me install the same version (which appears to be 4.5.1) and 4.5.2 gives me an error: HRESULT 0x80240017. The world does not want me to use CCC apparently.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Grand Theft Auto has put me in a buying mood.
Currently I run an AMD HD7800 but it's not beefy enough for a 1920x1080 resolution. Most games I cap at 50 FPS at best. I've been looking at the 970 and, while I can afford it, I'm hoping that the 960 can save me $150 without too much of a hit.
Should I bite the bullet or go for the cheap option?

Sorry for the vague question but I haven't kept up with the nuances of computer hardware in a few years.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I think the access pattern matters too; I wouldn't be surprised if some of the work for the "GTA V version" of the NVIDIA drivers are to tune for exactly that.

GTA is probably the worst case scenario for the drivers to work with, on most games they can track which assets get used the most and keep them in the 3.5GB section but GTA is streaming poo poo in and out constantly so it wont know what the gently caress.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Currently I run an AMD HD7800 but it's not beefy enough for a 1920x1080 resolution. Most games I cap at 50 FPS at best. I've been looking at the 970 and, while I can afford it, I'm hoping that the 960 can save me $150 without too much of a hit.

Sorry for the vague question but I haven't kept up with the nuances of computer hardware in a few years.

970 all the way, the 960 will not give you the performance you are looking for in GTA5, mostly because the memory bus is pretty badly neutered compared to the 970.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I know Gigabyte's the 'honorable mention' after MSI and ASUS' respective first and second place for 970s, but this is the cheapest I've seen the Gigabyte G1 thus far: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125684 (after rebate, unfortunately)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I know Gigabyte's the 'honorable mention' after MSI and ASUS' respective first and second place for 970s, but this is the cheapest I've seen the Gigabyte G1 thus far: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125684 (after rebate, unfortunately)

A 970 is still a 970. When they are all clustered together with only a few dollars separating them, you obviously go for the MSI, but if one brand is substantially cheaper then it makes sense to snap it up, especially since the G1 is still pretty good in its own right.

Just as long as people remember that the G1 is longer than the MSI and the Asus, which could be an issue in teeny cases.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Chalets the Baka posted:

I have 1.3GB and if I go over even a little bit, or someone tries to watch my Steam stream with the settings on the cusp, my computer will crash with an out-of-memory error. I should probably order a 970.

Yeah I dunno, I can go a good 300MB over without any breaking.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
currently using a 970 on a 2560x1600 monitor and a 1920x1200 side monitor that I use for web-browsing and multitasking.

If I wanted more graphics power, am I better off getting another 970 for sli or selling it and upgrading to a 980 considering the price will be very similar with either option. Is there another option at this price point im missing?

Is SA-mart a good price to sell graphics cards that havent been ruined by bitcoin mining?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

I don't have the game, but according to this benchmark the 960 is perfect for 1080p 'high' and gets 40-50 fps in 1080p 'ultra'
http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1905-gta-v-pc-fps-benchmark-graphics-cards
Of course they left MSAA off in all tests. But if you play in the little leagues you use FXAA anyway, maybe 2xMSAA plus Maxwell MFAA.

It's a decent card for what it is, but not enough of an upgrade if you have a 7870 (aka R9 270x) already.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 15, 2015

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thanks for the input.
Looks like I'm going to try and cannibalize my old MOBO and RAM because this micro ATX business is for the birds (when it comes to high-end games) and stick the new GPU and maybe my most recent CPU into it.
Let's see if I can find the specs for the old hardware and pray they are compatible!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Inzombiac posted:

A 960 isn't close to a 970 in performance, and while it will give you some boost over your current card (you didn't specify whether it was a 7850 or 7870), it isn't enormous, and the 2GB of RAM (same as your card) means it will run out of puff incredibly quickly. Don't even think of wasting money on a 4GB 960. There's no way around it, the 970 is the only worthwhile choice of the two.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 15, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

My friend isn't happy that he can't run GTA V Max at 1080p with his GTX 780. I don't know anything about recent cards so can't offer any advice, so I thought I'd ask here. Should he get a second 780 or try and sell for a 980 (assuming sale of the card covers half the cost). Looking at second hand prices of the 780 the price ends up similar, maybe slightly cheaper to buy a used card.

IIRC he has 8GB of DDR3 and a 4570k.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

So, anyone had any luck with flashing a Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 to get 0 RPM fan at idle? Seems really stupid of Gigabyte not to have it that way, otherwise I love the card.

Also, currently running 1080P, but I know nothing about monitors, how would this card perform at the next step up in screen resolution? Guessing that's 2k? And would getting another card for sli help if I want later with higher resolutions? Or is it more that the VRAM would need to be higher?

Basically not sure if I should stay at 1080 and enjoy maxing poo poo or going higher.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Fauxtool posted:

currently using a 970 on a 2560x1600 monitor and a 1920x1200 side monitor that I use for web-browsing and multitasking.

If I wanted more graphics power, am I better off getting another 970 for sli or selling it and upgrading to a 980 considering the price will be very similar with either option. Is there another option at this price point im missing?

Is SA-mart a good price to sell graphics cards that havent been ruined by bitcoin mining?

I went through a more money than sense stage last year (which has now sadly passed).

Anyway I have 970SLi and can run GTA at 2560x1440 max out at 60fps with no drops. I also have two other monitors for web browsing and chat open. It also runs pretty well at 4K, but is shy of 60fps and I can't tell the difference in res anyway. So I'd recommend SLi if you have the extra money, I think a 980 would only give marginal gains for a significant extra.

I also have a TITAN black brand new for sale that I won in the Elite Dangerous competition that I'll probably sell if it's of any interest :)

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Im assuming this price has changed.

Cheapest I've seen is $315 though, at that price its hard to buy any other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

Sistergodiva posted:

So, anyone had any luck with flashing a Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 to get 0 RPM fan at idle? Seems really stupid of Gigabyte not to have it that way, otherwise I love the card.

Yes, its brain dead easy. Linus Tech Tips has a video that goes through the process step by step. No idea what Gigabyte's policy is with regards to BIOS flashing and modification but the card's loud idle is no longer an issue for me.

In response to the GTX970 chat above, I think G1 Gaming is honestly better than the Asus and MSI if you can physically fit it inside your case and willing to mess around with the BIOS.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 15, 2015