Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

THC posted:

Cell phone salesmen have one job: to sell cell phones. Shooting the poo poo about smartphone operating system customization and apocrypha is not part of that unless it helps them to sell a cell phone. And it doesn't because 99.9% of people walking in there just want A Phone.

Put this in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I agree with all that, but having some knowledge of the devices you're selling would be a good start. Why wouldn't you show off the features that define the S6 edge to someone on the fence about getting one? Granted they're limited, but not knowing about how they work at all, even when you have the drat phone is pretty dumb. I could be wrong since I don't work in a sales position any more, but being knowledgeable about the devices/services you're selling is the #1 requirement of being a good salesman. I do however understand that most people coming in to the store just want a phone and will believe whatever bullshit is spewed their direction. On the plus side, the guy knew an awful lot about U-Verse and their automated home security stuff, even if he couldn't get the deadbolt demo to work.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thebushcommander posted:

I could be wrong since I don't work in a sales position any more, but being knowledgeable about the devices/services you're selling is the #1 requirement of being a good salesman. I

Yeah, this is one of those "that's not how it works in the world" ideas. Specifically, all my goals are about growing my sales outside of phones, so Knowledge on phones outside base stuff tends to be the least of my worries.

And in general, most great sales people tend to not be tech savvy. People savvy is way more important.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

99% of the time when I buy anything where I have to interact with a sales person, I know more about the product than the sales person does...and I'm OK with that. I don't want a sales person bothering me anyway!

Duckman2008 posted:

People savvy is way more important.
Well...to the sales person's bottom line anyway.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

99% of the time when I buy anything where I have to interact with a sales person, I know more about the product than the sales person does...and I'm OK with that. I don't want a sales person bothering me anyway!
That comes across pretty smarmy. Do us all a favor then:
Buy it online. You just stepping foot into a store just to get bothered is justifying the overhead a company has to budget for, which factors into the cost of goods/services.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

obeyasia posted:

Buy it online. You just stepping foot into a store just to get bothered is justifying the overhead a company has to budget for, which factors into the cost of goods/services.
His point is valid, most sales people don't give a poo poo about knowing anything more than the bare minimum to maximize their sales. It doesn't bother me, that's their job and I appreciate their min-maxing. It doesn't make his statement less true, and it doesn't change the fact that someone can walk into a local store and walk out with a phone the same day, which is not true for an online order.

The mistake made earlier in this thread was to suggest that the sales people needed to know more about the phones than anyone else. They just need to know enough to sell the right phone to the customer.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

obeyasia posted:

I almost always buy online, it's usually more efficient for all parties. If I do have to deal with a salesperson I try to politely make it clear to not bother me unless I have a question. Why would I waste salespeople's time and my time?

It's not a bad thing unless you feel like its your job as a salesperson to be intimately knowledgeable about your products (this is almost never the salespersons job). It's just a statement of fact. Don't take it personally.

The incentive isn't there for salespeople to become intimately knowledgeable about the products they sell. They have better things to do with their time.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Beefstorm posted:

Honestly, it's day two and we haven't sold a single galaxy so far. I have no idea how.

Are the 128gb models really not available in store? When I go through the upgrade process on wireless.att.com it marks them as "Web Only" and that's pretty much the only reason I haven't gone in store and pulled the trigger on one yet.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Poz posted:

Are the 128gb models really not available in store? When I go through the upgrade process on wireless.att.com it marks them as "Web Only" and that's pretty much the only reason I haven't gone in store and pulled the trigger on one yet.

Yep, only online.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I left AT&T (3 lines) this past weekend for T-Mobile. I have an old Lumia 1020 that I bought (probably third-hand) that I'm trying to unlock. After submitting the request online, AT&T instantly auto-responds with:

Unfortunately, your unlock request was denied because: You have not completed all the payments for your device according to your AT&T Next service agreement.

This is not the case. This phone isn't on a NEXT program nor is it financed in any way. The IMEI is free and clear. Of course there is no web portal to confirm this, but Swappa's reports it's free and clear, but I'm not sure how robust their database is.

Can an AT&T goon PM me to confirm it's not part of a NEXT program (IMEI)? I'd be super shocked if it is. I just feel like AT&T are being dicks about unlocking it for some reason.

Thanks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

I left AT&T (3 lines) this past weekend for T-Mobile. I have an old Lumia 1020 that I bought (probably third-hand) that I'm trying to unlock. After submitting the request online, AT&T instantly auto-responds with:

Unfortunately, your unlock request was denied because: You have not completed all the payments for your device according to your AT&T Next service agreement.

This is not the case. This phone isn't on a NEXT program nor is it financed in any way. The IMEI is free and clear. Of course there is no web portal to confirm this, but Swappa's reports it's free and clear, but I'm not sure how robust their database is.

Can an AT&T goon PM me to confirm it's not part of a NEXT program (IMEI)? I'd be super shocked if it is. I just feel like AT&T are being dicks about unlocking it for some reason.

Thanks.

I can't see that system (it's a care system) so you are going to want customer care. Unfortunately they are much nicer to you when you have ATT service, so I would have recommended unlocking before switching.

That being said, just because you bought it used doesn't mean that the person who sold it paid off the installments. What's going to be tough is it might need to be that person requesting the unlock.

Def go through care, stores just don't work with this day to day.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I've been having issues with my LG G3. Since two days ago I haven't been able to keep signal. I always have poor signal in my home and I just attributed it to that, but when I was at work that same day the issue persisted. At work I had 3-4 bars, but no 4G, just bars. Randomly it would switch to 3g with 0 bars, but its pretty much unable to send text or receive calls. I took it to my AT&T store and they said it was an antenna issue, and I would have to call tech support. I did that and the lady assured me, "It is a network issue your phone is having, I submitted a ticket to tech support" Today I received word that my issue has been resolved via a text message, however nothing has changed. So should I call them back and tell them no dice, since I need to be able to receive text messages/phone calls for my job and this is not cutting it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fat_Cow posted:

So I've been having issues with my LG G3. Since two days ago I haven't been able to keep signal. I always have poor signal in my home and I just attributed it to that, but when I was at work that same day the issue persisted. At work I had 3-4 bars, but no 4G, just bars. Randomly it would switch to 3g with 0 bars, but its pretty much unable to send text or receive calls. I took it to my AT&T store and they said it was an antenna issue, and I would have to call tech support. I did that and the lady assured me, "It is a network issue your phone is having, I submitted a ticket to tech support" Today I received word that my issue has been resolved via a text message, however nothing has changed. So should I call them back and tell them no dice, since I need to be able to receive text messages/phone calls for my job and this is not cutting it.

Are you near a device support center at all? AT&T has centers that will do warranty troubleshooting and swap outs, that would be a good bet.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Duckman2008 posted:

Are you near a device support center at all? AT&T has centers that will do warranty troubleshooting and swap outs, that would be a good bet.

The AT&T store near me said "Oh no we don't do swap outs, you gotta go through AT&T for that"

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fat_Cow posted:

The AT&T store near me said "Oh no we don't do swap outs, you gotta go through AT&T for that"

Correct, it's through either the phone number they gave you, or AT&T has local device support centers. The support centers are separate from company stores and only do warranty work.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Correct, it's through either the phone number they gave you, or AT&T has local device support centers. The support centers are separate from company stores and only do warranty work.

Well guess I'll be going through AT&T, closest one is an hour an a half away.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Ok. So I have officially quit AT&T again. And there is zero chance I am looking back. If someone else wants to take over the OP, feel free. I will try and update it one more time to have the relevant information of today. Then I am DONE!

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Ok. So I have officially quit AT&T again. And there is zero chance I am looking back. If someone else wants to take over the OP, feel free. I will try and update it one more time to have the relevant information of today. Then I am DONE!

What caused you to wash out?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Beefstorm posted:

Story time please. What happened?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

obeyasia posted:

What caused you to wash out?

Michael Scott posted:

Story time please. What happened?

Tired of lying to customers for a living. Tired of trying to pedal a security system to people who CLEARLY don't want it. That and crippling anxiety and depression all mixes into a bad work environment.

There was no climatic point of leaving. However I timed my quitting to when my VPGM of north east was in town so I could quit directly to his face and tell him everything wrong with his company. So I guess that's kind of climatic...

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011
Hey, so my family is ready for upgrades on our phones. I was looking at getting the HTC One M8, and It is only a dollar on contract on Amazon, and $200 on contract at AT&T. My parents aren't too worried about upgrading their phones, but I would like to upgrade now. So has anyone else gone through Amazon for their phone upgrade? Is there any dangers or anything I should be aware of, other than the ETF charge? Can the rest of my family still go through an AT&T store? And would it mess up my family's plan to upgrade separately from them?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gotenks0053 posted:

Hey, so my family is ready for upgrades on our phones. I was looking at getting the HTC One M8, and It is only a dollar on contract on Amazon, and $200 on contract at AT&T. My parents aren't too worried about upgrading their phones, but I would like to upgrade now. So has anyone else gone through Amazon for their phone upgrade? Is there any dangers or anything I should be aware of, other than the ETF charge? Can the rest of my family still go through an AT&T store? And would it mess up my family's plan to upgrade separately from them?

Every line is individual for upgrades, you just pool together to save money, so it won't mess up the other lines.

If you are on an old plus it won't change it your plan. If you are on a new mobile share plan it will raise your rate to sign a contract. Let us know what your plan is and we can make a full recommendation.

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Every line is individual for upgrades, you just pool together to save money, so it won't mess up the other lines.

If you are on an old plus it won't change it your plan. If you are on a new mobile share plan it will raise your rate to sign a contract. Let us know what your plan is and we can make a full recommendation.

It looks like we have a Mobile Share Value 10gb plan. So would it make more sense to go with the AT&T Next program at that point?

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gotenks0053 posted:

It looks like we have a Mobile Share Value 10gb plan. So would it make more sense to go with the AT&T Next program at that point?

Yes.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Work will buy me a att blackberry classic which the internet tells me uses a nano sim. Could I take the sim out and use it on an iPhone 5s/6+?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Haggins posted:

Work will buy me a att blackberry classic which the internet tells me uses a nano sim. Could I take the sim out and use it on an iPhone 5s/6+?

Should be able to, just make sure it doesn't upset your work.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I have an AT&T branded Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.0 that is still on Jellybean. There is a Kit Kat update available for it but I can't get my device to acknowledge this and when I went in to the AT&T store they couldn't find the device in their tool to manually flash it. Any ideas how to get this thing updated? There are available files for the wifi version but this is the AT&T one and this specific model doesn't have anything available for manual update. The model number is SGH-i467.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Fat_Cow posted:

This might be entirely anecdotal, but my AT&T G3 has had slightly shittier signal since the Lollipop update it seems to me. I don't even know if it's possible for that to be a software thing or not, but I used to never lose signal in my basement office and now I occasionally do.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Two questions: going to Iceland next month for my honeymoon, and I want to get my fiance's XT1058 Moto X 2013 unlocked. ATT won't do it, because it's still on Next. I don't want to pay it off because she wants to replace it, and the payoff vs trade in is greater than we can expect to get selling it. Are there any reputable unlock sites? Do they actually work? And will that screw up our ability to trade in the phone?

Second question: my cousin is on my MobileShare plan. Her portion (line + installment) is $25. I've set her up as an authorized user. Can she make partial payments of $25 direct to ATT rather than mailing me checks?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

Two questions: going to Iceland next month for my honeymoon, and I want to get my fiance's XT1058 Moto X 2013 unlocked. ATT won't do it, because it's still on Next. I don't want to pay it off because she wants to replace it, and the payoff vs trade in is greater than we can expect to get selling it. Are there any reputable unlock sites? Do they actually work? And will that screw up our ability to trade in the phone?

Second question: my cousin is on my MobileShare plan. Her portion (line + installment) is $25. I've set her up as an authorized user. Can she make partial payments of $25 direct to ATT rather than mailing me checks?

I don't have an answer for unlocking.

Yes, you can create a secondary My ATT app and she can login and pay a partial amount.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't have an answer for unlocking.

Yes, you can create a secondary My ATT app and she can login and pay a partial amount.

Would someone in store be able to help me with that? And would she needs to be present?

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

Would someone in store be able to help me with that? And would she needs to be present?

You can do it on your own at home, don't be a turd.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
is a new sim card required for 3g to 4g LTE? I have a standard sim currently and I know i'll need a micro/nano but is there a tech difference between the two?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Casual Yogurt posted:

is a new sim card required for 3g to 4g LTE? I have a standard sim currently and I know i'll need a micro/nano but is there a tech difference between the two?

You'll need a new SIM, any new SIMs are LTE compatible so bring in new phone, swap to micro or nano, and you'll be fine.

Micro and nano are just different SIM card sizes, it just depends on the phone which size it takes. Bring it into a store and the rep will figure it out.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

You'll need a new SIM, any new SIMs are LTE compatible so bring in new phone, swap to micro or nano, and you'll be fine.

Micro and nano are just different SIM card sizes, it just depends on the phone which size it takes. Bring it into a store and the rep will figure it out.

I have an old plan that I don't want to loose, so I'm too scared to go into the store but it sounds like if I want LTE I might not have a choice.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Casual Yogurt posted:

I have an old plan that I don't want to loose, so I'm too scared to go into the store but it sounds like if I want LTE I might not have a choice.

You would get pressured to switch plans, but end of day the reps will follow policy and take care of you unless they want to risk their jobs.

If it's just a SIM swap and you already own the phone then it's easier, it doesn't "hurt" a persons sales then so they won't be as pushy.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

You would get pressured to switch plans, but end of day the reps will follow policy and take care of you unless they want to risk their jobs.

If it's just a SIM swap and you already own the phone then it's easier, it doesn't "hurt" a persons sales then so they won't be as pushy.

Yea so here is my situation, I have an unlimited data plan that I've been using for a very long time. I want to get a new phone with LTE, which I will assume will require some change to my plan. What I want to do is just buy a new unlocked phone and cut my SIM card to nano size and use LTE but that probably won't work. I don't want to loose my unlimited data and I want as little change to my plan(& $$) as possible. I don't want to get "upgraded" into a shittier plan for more money. And if that is the only way to get a new phone with LTE than I'll probably stick with 3G until it becomes unbearable.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Casual Yogurt posted:

Yea so here is my situation, I have an unlimited data plan that I've been using for a very long time. I want to get a new phone with LTE, which I will assume will require some change to my plan. What I want to do is just buy a new unlocked phone and cut my SIM card to nano size and use LTE but that probably won't work. I don't want to loose my unlimited data and I want as little change to my plan(& $$) as possible. I don't want to get "upgraded" into a shittier plan for more money. And if that is the only way to get a new phone with LTE than I'll probably stick with 3G until it becomes unbearable.

Yeah just go in and get a new SIM.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Then go in and ask for a new SIM. That's literally all you have to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Casual Yogurt posted:

Right. I get it. So as mentioned:

Duckman2008 posted:

Sales people can be douchebags, but they won't be evil, especially with no incentive to be evil.

You will probably hear all about our new home security product though. Remember if you don't want something, you do have the ability to say "no thank you" :)

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 20, 2015