Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Special thanks to our local crab squid overlord for the title change.

MohawkSatan posted:

Sorry to break up kink chat, but its official. I'm a machinist. Or a first year apprentice to be more accurate. Got 85% on my final exam.

Congrats! Make me some stuff eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Slung Blade posted:

Special thanks to our local crab squid overlord for the title change.

Congrats! Make me some stuff eh?

I actually have my first TFR related design sent to to the RCMP, so...

.45-70, semi-auto, gas delay pistol. Because here in Canada, we may as well take what we can make with our laws to 11

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

MohawkSatan posted:

.45-70, semi-auto, gas delay pistol. Because here in Canada, we may as well take what we can make with our laws to 11

:stonk:

Unrelated:
When I took a few classes at the Campbell Folk School, they had a post vise set up in their grinding room. Except this one was modified to be on a steel frame with 3 stout legs. I'm looking for a good design to do this myself with one of my post vises. I was also thinking of putting removable wheels on it because I'm a fatass for portability. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or have a good design for building such a thing?

ArtistCeleste
Mar 29, 2004

Do you not?

blunt for century posted:

:stonk:

Unrelated:
When I took a few classes at the Campbell Folk School, they had a post vise set up in their grinding room. Except this one was modified to be on a steel frame with 3 stout legs. I'm looking for a good design to do this myself with one of my post vises. I was also thinking of putting removable wheels on it because I'm a fatass for portability. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or have a good design for building such a thing?

I don't know about the frame with legs, but to solve portability by attaching it to a large round base. You could drill holes and bolt the base into the ground for stability purposes. You could then unbolt it and roll it around your shop. We have one like that at the smithy where I work, although it's not bolted. There are a lot of things you can't use it for when it's not bolted.

Congratulations MohawkSatan! You will be earning far more than any of us blacksmiths in no time.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

MohawkSatan posted:

Now that's an incredible coincidence. I happen to have a marlin 1895 chambered in 45-70, I have been amassing a respectable stash of that ammo for a while now.

Guess I'm getting my r-pal so I can buy your stuff. :v:

What would the first commercial version cost me?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

[quote="blunt for century" post=""443619373"]
Except this one was modified to be on a steel frame with 3 stout legs. I'm looking for a good design to do this myself with one of my post vises. I was also thinking of putting removable wheels on it because I'm a fatass for portability. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or have a good design for building such a thing?
[/quote]

Personally, I would just build a big work bench with the castors you can extend down using some little bottle jacks. Just modify it to also carry a post vise.

I saw some pictures of a bench like that on a garage blog thing the other day, let me see if I can find an image for you.

E: yeah here it is, off garage journal. Timaged because I am phone posting and have no idea how big this picture is.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 4, 2015

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Slung Blade posted:

Now that's an incredible coincidence. I happen to have a marlin 1895 chambered in 45-70, I have been amassing a respectable stash of that ammo for a while now.

Guess I'm getting my r-pal so I can buy your stuff. :v:

What would the first commercial version cost me?

No idea on cost. Machining time and materials are easy to figure out, but the setup times much less so. The serious tooling costs is another matter. Bare minimum equipment would run around six grand, plus carbides, endmills, etc. There's still a long way to being able to legally make and sell them. Making guns for myself is one thing, but making guns to sell other people is a world full of red tape and misery(that I have every intention of pushing through anyways)

Practical isn't something that's of any use in Canada. Our gun laws basically tell us to gently caress off, since we can't carry, have magazines for pistols over 10 rounds, barrels under 4.5" or so, etc. So why not go full retard and make something wildly impractical, but a ton of fun? Massive, heavy, absurd hand cannon? Sounds like fun to me.

Dishman
Jul 2, 2007
Slimy Bastard
this thread fuckin rules

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
I've been looking at making that hydraulic press again and I don't think I'm up to some of the fabrication, like drilling monstro 1-5/16" holes accurately and squarely through 1.25" plate (and/or, buying the bits plural I need and getting them shipped here from the US may very well cost more than just getting someone to drill them). What's the cheapest way to get someone to do that work for me? It's all pretty simple, drilling ~15 big holes through thick plate as per a blueprint and cutting big ol 1-1/4 x 8" flat barstock into sections for the most part. My metal supplier offers limited fabrication, I'd think it'd be them?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Just rough the holes with a plasma cutter and then trim them out with the drill press. :unsmigghh:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Sadly I'm losing access to the plasma cutter, bandsaw, belt sander, drill presses that aren't rickety harbour freight economy jobs, and forges in... a week and change :qq:

I don't have any of the drill bits I need to drill the actual holes, and by the time they'd arrive in the mail I don't think I'd have time to sink hours into working on my press, between coursework and essential tooling for home and such.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Is it a school/class thing? Seems odd that you'd just "lose access."

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Yep. Blacksmith school's wrapping up next week.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
No waterjet shops locally? They'd do accurate holes in 1.25 plate like it was cheese.

EDIT for content:
Finished up the stained glass I was working on with my GFs mum, they've now fitted it up:

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 7, 2015

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Sadly I'm losing access to the plasma cutter, bandsaw, belt sander, drill presses that aren't rickety harbour freight economy jobs, and forges in... a week and change :qq:

I don't have any of the drill bits I need to drill the actual holes, and by the time they'd arrive in the mail I don't think I'd have time to sink hours into working on my press, between coursework and essential tooling for home and such.

Do you have a mill there? If they have an indexable boring head, you could just bore the holes.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Ambrose Burnside posted:

If you have a press you could just broach if you're man/woman enough.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
No and no to both. Waterjet guys are a good idea, though, I'll look into it, thanks

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ambrose Burnside posted:

No and no to both. Waterjet guys are a good idea, though, I'll look into it, thanks

Waterjet is literally magic. I've seen the higher pressure units cutting holes in 6 inch plate steel. Even the most economy versions of the things can handle 2" plate no problem.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

What in the gently caress? Why is everything cutting like poo poo?

Sooooo... who touched the plasma table?

(Boss's son wanted to try and "teach himself CNC" but I think the xbox controller we use to jog is to blame. He's a young kid.)

Also, hello thread. I program and operate a plasma table at a metal shop. I'm somewhat new to it. It is fun. To add to the kink, I have cut out dicks. They've been 2D, but still.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

On Saturday I hit the brakes going around the corner of the block I live on. Guy's out there with a bunch of tools. Turns out he's retiring, a contractor maybe, dude from Costa Rica. He's got 150 kitchen cabinets, he's got a bunch of tools, he's a nice guy.

I got this:

A DeWalt metal-cutting chop saw, a DeWalt wood chop saw, and... a Lincoln welder! This is a 120v MIG welder. You can see it's in rough shape cosmetically, some rust, some dings and bangs, and the cords have been abused. Same with the saws, needs new cords. But they're solid and they've been oiled and maintained, and the price seemed good:

$300 for all three. Did I score, or blow it? I had to make a quick decision, we were late to a BBQ.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I have that exact welder. It's a tank.

Go out an get some fresh flux core - it will make your life a lot easier and less splattery.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Motronic posted:

Go out an get some fresh flux core - it will make your life a lot easier and less splattery.

Most fluxcore is hydrophillic, and will suck water out of the air. Then it makes a huge awful mess when you rapidly heat it to 3000 degrees. That's also the reason you keep sick welder sticks in the sealed metal cans until you're ready to use them!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nice!

I will buy some fresh flux core right before the next time I need to weld something. The ground pole has been cut off of the plug, so I need to replace that before I'm willing to run it anyway.

Without bothering to look at specs, will this thing run (safely) on a 15A circuit, or do I need a 20? Or more?

Also, what do I need to buy, to do proper MIG? I assume a cannister of argon with a regulator, but... any other equipment?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Nice!

I will buy some fresh flux core right before the next time I need to weld something. The ground pole has been cut off of the plug, so I need to replace that before I'm willing to run it anyway.

Without bothering to look at specs, will this thing run (safely) on a 15A circuit, or do I need a 20? Or more?

Yeah, I run mine on a 15A with no problems.

Leperflesh posted:

Also, what do I need to buy, to do proper MIG? I assume a cannister of argon with a regulator, but... any other equipment?

You need lots of stuff to convert it to MIG, but it's all available as a kit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lcn-k610-1?seid=srese1&gclid=CLCZs6-79sQCFQUQ7AodGnsA_A

As far as gas, you can run straight CO2 or an Argon/CO2 mix, but straight Argon is only for nonferrous metals (for MIG). Straight CO2 is cheap, but splattery.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK, well I'll probably play with just fluxcore for a while, but it's good to know it's easy to go to real MIG. We have some possibilities of doing aluminum welding, but probably CO2/Argon mix is the best way to go, for versaility.

I'm already storing oxygen and acetylene. I'm gonna need to build a bottle rack or something.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Bringin' wood into the metal thread, like a scrub :whatup:

I made my bud a wood hammer for his blacksmith shop, meant for use with a wood anvil. He's been giving me free lessons, so it's a way of saying thanks.

Head is Osage Orange and the handle is a broken oak shovel handle

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

I made one of those . . . the easy way.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

OK, well I'll probably play with just fluxcore for a while, but it's good to know it's easy to go to real MIG. We have some possibilities of doing aluminum welding, but probably CO2/Argon mix is the best way to go, for versaility.

I'm already storing oxygen and acetylene. I'm gonna need to build a bottle rack or something.

FYI, you won't do much (as far as thickness) on that machine with MIG, but flux core punches way above it's amperage level, which makes that little thing very useful. Flux core is also awesome for welding outside. The combo of those two plus the fact that it runs on 120v makes it the perfect portable box for doing a quick exhaust repair, welding nuts on stripped fasteners at your idiot friends house who is halfway through a job with an immobile car and stripped bolt, fixing plow frames in the middle of a snow storm, welding fence/railings, etc (all of which I've done with mine in the last year).

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Tamir Lenk posted:

I made one of those . . . the easy way.

Anything involving penetration should be lacquered.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Random Number posted:

Anything involving penetration should be lacquered.

This guy gets that Mormon premarital action. Sweating and banging away on the sheets with no penetration.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
making some fancy shackles for my final project

a second pair are half-done, and i'm gonna connect them with an s-link chain hooked into the leaf loops. or alternately just run a single padlock through both eyes at the same time, the spacing's right for actual use that way but it's less pretty without the chain.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 16, 2015

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Very nice Ambrose. How does the manacle lock?

I myself am getting closer to pouring brass this coming weekend. I have 50lbs of petrobond, a flask, and 3 quarters of a crucible:

My hands aren't steady enough to make pretty welds, but I'm pretty happy with my tig welding progress. I just need to forge a C ring and weld that to the back of the crucible, and I'm good to pour.

edit: I should add the crucible is water tight.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
padlock/s or cotter pins. I have it rigged up with an s-hook linking the two separate cuffs by the Viney curls, it looks good but it sets the cuffs too far apart. a single padlock running through both curled eyes on the opposite end sets the cuffs closer together like normal handcuffs but doesn't look as pretty and is harder to lock.

and I wish I had access to a TIG welder :smith:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Manacles are about done.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Manacles are about done.

drat those look pretty :O

Since there is no glassworking subforums, i might as well post this here since its half and half.

Basically an prototype for this

Sorry about the language, but its supposed to be an dragon themed lamp, a gift for a friend.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

That's really neat! How do you intend to do those dragon and vine details? Are you going to paint them on, or do some fancy inlays?

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
thanks =)

Umm, The vines are going to be 2-3 layers of sheet metal to give it more depth. Like the first set in vines are part of the outmost shell and the next one is welded underneath it.
The dragon, i'm not completely sure yet, its either going to be an sheet metal bended on an arc, basically surrounding the light pulp or just etched on the surface of the glass with acid, or possibly some sort of an combination of both.

an rough model of the idea and the structure i gave to an another friend who promised to design the vines for me, but since he seems to be too lazy to do it, i'll propably just draw them myself.

Just a Fish fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 18, 2015

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

*sigh* If only I still had access to the university workshops, I'd totally try to do something similar :(

If you've got the tools and materials for it, you could make a custom, two-coloured pane of glass. It's a lot of work, and it's more similar to working with mosaics than anything else, but it looks pretty cool. A couple of years ago, I did something similar for a shallow bowl/platter, and whilst the work-in-progress pictures didn't really do it justice, the end result worked out really well.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
Uuuh, drat thats pretty!

Is it sort of an tiffany work, but instead of coppertape and soldering you used glue or some clear sort of clear epoxy to hold the pieces together?
Always wanted to try that actually, have had couple of ideas, but havent got time to try them out yet.

I occasionally do some glass work thingies, but have used soldering tin so far.
you can actually do build them on your apartment just fine as long as you got enough space for an extra table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

From what I know of glasswork, I don't think it's related to any sort of tiffany glass techniques, since AFAIK, tiffany glass isn't heat treated or anything, right? For that particular piece I just cut the glass freehand, placed them on a clear glass background, and had it fused in a kiln - perhaps it was a bit misleading when I referred to it being a bit like mosaics. This would also be why I miss the uni workshops, since an electric kiln takes up quite a bit of room :)