Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Captain Yossarian posted:

If you are serious there are a LOT of people that don't like the Nexus 6.

Only reason I've heard is that it's too big (it's not, anyone would get used to it in a couple days)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

nerve posted:

Only reason I've heard is that it's too big (it's not, anyone would get used to it in a couple days)
I ordered my Nexus 5 on launch day and I'm still unhappy with how huge it is and have difficulty operating it. There have been people in this thread who have gotten the 6 and switched away from it because it's too goddamn big. Big phones are dumb and I'm angry about it!

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

nerve posted:

I've had the N6 since launch and I won't ever get a phone this big again.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I love my nexus 6.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Big phones goddamn own you tiny handed nerds.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

nerve posted:

From second hand experience (I don't own one, but a couple coworkers do) the battery life is pretty poor. Looking at the Anandtech review, it's got worse battery life then the Nexus 5 and the battery life on that phone was laughable. A powerful phone and it looks good, but the battery life killed it for me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

From second hand experience (I don't own one, but a couple coworkers do) the battery life is pretty poor. Looking at the Anandtech review, it's got worse battery life then the Nexus 5 and the battery life on that phone was laughable. A powerful phone and it looks good, but the battery life killed it for me.

Uhh, I upgraded from a Nexus 5 and the battery life is significantly better. I have no idea what you're talking about.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Good news! You can now use wireless charging on any phone with a micro USB port!

:v:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uhh, I upgraded from a Nexus 5 and the battery life is significantly better. I have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm going off reports from coworkers and the Anandtech review. They could be wrong? Like I said, I don't have the phone, just giving reasons why people may not want it.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

It's nice to see that AP treated that device with all of the seriousness that it deserves.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Martello posted:

So this is my Storage screen:

What the hell is Miscellaneous Files and what can I do to get rid of some of them?

This is what shows up when I click on that:

And I have 24 GB give or take free on my SD card. What can I do to get more poo poo on the SD card so it doesn't clog up the internal storage? I know Amazon Music is stupid and doesn't allow you to set it to automatically use SD storage so I've been moving that over manually. I'm trying to figure out what else I can do.
Looks like it counts system storage as "misc". Your apps combined with "system memory" is about 12GB. Everything else should be able to be moved to the SD-card regardless.

A quick google says the Audible folder can be moved to the SD-card manually and the app will still see it just fine, but apparently you can't do it through the app itself. Moving stuff around manually seems just tedious though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RZA Encryption posted:

Why would you get anything buy the Nexus 6? Official support from google.

To irritate you.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

nerve posted:

I returned my 2014 Moto X after a couple of weeks because it was just too big to use effectively.

edit: the word 'high' is different from the word 'big'

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 14, 2015

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

To irritate you.

=)

I guess I'm just not a power user like the rest of y'all. I've never had to worry about battery with my N6. Coming from the '13 X I was really worried about the size, but it was surprising how quickly I adjusted to it.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

RZA Encryption posted:

=)

I guess I'm just not a power user like the rest of y'all. I've never had to worry about battery with my N6. Coming from the '13 X I was really worried about the size, but it was surprising how quickly I adjusted to it.

That was one of thing I REALLY liked about the N6 since the 2013 moto x may be just a little small for my giant hands...

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I just don't want to look like a goofus, holding a tablet up to my head.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mogomra posted:

I just don't want to look like a goofus, holding a tablet up to my head.

You mean like the millions of other people out there with phablets? I think you'll always have people commenting on even a Galaxy saying how big it is (especially when they say "that thing is huge compared to my iphone 4").

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

w00tazn posted:

Why wouldn't you want something like this? :downs:

What do you people do use your devices as skateboards? I've got an original iPod video that I used for years and it looks nothing like that, my HTC One looks nothing like that either. Quit storing your poo poo in your pocket with your keys, or using it to sharpen your cat's claws or whatever caused that. Having said that super polished aluminium wasn't the best choice, mostly because of people like you tho.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Lblitzer posted:

You mean like the millions of other people out there with phablets? I think you'll always have people commenting on even a Galaxy saying how big it is (especially when they say "that thing is huge compared to my iphone 4").

Fine.

I don't want to look like the millions of other goofuses holding tablets up to their heads. :colbert:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

My N5 camera crashes on the latest build all the time. I've tried to replicate it manually but can't figure out what is causing it.

Do you have data turned off? My 5.1 stock N6 camera was crashing and needing a reboot every second photo while in the US in airplane mode (I'm Canadian) then as soon as I got back to Canada it worked fine again. Never had that problem with the Google Camera on my Note 3. It seemed to be trying to back up everything to google+ and making GBS threads itself when it couldn't.

Mogomra posted:

Fine.

I don't want to look like the millions of other goofuses holding tablets up to their heads. :colbert:

Get a bigger head, scrub.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

CLAM DOWN posted:

Can never go back to using anything smaller. Feels like using one of those very first iPhones. Tiny baby screen

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm 6'3" and wear XL gloves. The 6 is too big.

When I had a flip phone I used to be able to text with it still in my pocket. With my 5 I can do most things with a single hand. If I switched to the 6 that would change. A bigger screen adds no additional utility and hinders usability. No one has said why a bigger phone is better, just that it is. I suspect anime is involved but can't you accomplish the same thing by holding the phone closer?

I want a new Nexus 4 :colbert:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Then don't buy an n6. drat son this is a phone not a vote for Obama

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

butt dickus posted:

I'm 6'3" and wear XL gloves. The 6 is too big.

When I had a flip phone I used to be able to text with it still in my pocket. With my 5 I can do most things with a single hand. If I switched to the 6 that would change. A bigger screen adds no additional utility and hinders usability. No one has said why a bigger phone is better, just that it is. I suspect anime is involved but can't you accomplish the same thing by holding the phone closer?

I want a new Nexus 4 :colbert:

What size is your TV? Do you shake your head in disbelief when others have bigger TVs than you?

I can't stand anime but love youtube and youtube looks and sound great on an N6. But I mainly use it for web browsing, which is also better on a big screen. There's basically no reason to not have a big phone as far as I'm concerned. I can do a lot of functions one handed, but if I can't, I don't care.

The thing I don't get is why people who like big phones can accept that others like small phones, but not vice versa. Why is there so much resistance to the idea that different people have different preferences?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

The thing I don't get is why people who like big phones can accept that others like small phones, but not vice versa. Why is there so much resistance to the idea that different people have different preferences?

This is a completely untrue statement and is demonstrated as untrue on this very page. It just feels true to you because you like big phones.

I don't think there's anyone who literally cannot understand that people use phones differently and come in different sizes. People just perceive some slight to their preferred choice in phone sizes and so have to reply with their preference with some small slight to the other choice, and then you get this thread.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

Then don't buy an n6. drat son this is a phone not a vote for Obama

Reverse Centaur posted:

I'm not going to get one and I don't care what idiot phone you guys get. It just seems more and more likely that when it's time for a new phone I'm going to have to choose between a clown-sized phone, a phone with a terrible OEM skin and slow updates or an entirely different ecosystem, and those are all lovely options.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think there's anyone who literally cannot understand that people use phones differently and come in different sizes. People just perceive some slight to their preferred choice in phone sizes and so have to reply with their preference with some small slight to the other choice, and then you get this thread.

Well one side goes on and on about it while the other side makes tongue in cheek retorts (like my "get a bigger head" thing which is obviously not serious) so it seems pretty one sided to me. At least Doctor rear end in a top hat stopped posting.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Reverse Centaur posted:

It's about what's built. That's why.

There are tons of options for high end large phones. If you want a small phone, you can count the number of options on one hand after having an industrial accident that took half your fingers.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bull3964 posted:

There are tons of options for high end large phones. If you want a small phone, you can count the number of options on one hand after having an industrial accident that took half your fingers.

Yeah, this too.

Reverse Centaur posted:

Well one side goes on and on about it while the other side makes tongue in cheek retorts (like my "get a bigger head" thing which is obviously not serious) so it seems pretty one sided to me. At least Doctor rear end in a top hat stopped posting.

Think about how your preference colors your interpretation of the statements of people on both sides of the debate.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

That I can understand. But a lot of things are built for small people, e.g. I can't walk into a store and buy shoes that fit me in my own country, but I don't insult people who happily buy shoes that fit their feet.

"I'm not going to buy shoes and I don't care what idiot shoes you guys get. It just seems more and more likely that when it's time for new shoes I'm going to have to choose between midget sized shoes or ugly shoes that are out of style, and those are all lovely options."

You sound like a petulant baby is the point.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

"I'm not going to buy shoes and I don't care what idiot shoes you guys get. It just seems more and more likely that when it's time for new shoes I'm going to have to choose between midget sized shoes or ugly shoes that are out of style, and those are all lovely options."
But it's true? I wear size 16 shoes and I have this exact problem.

Reverse Centaur posted:

At least Doctor rear end in a top hat stopped posting.
:forkbomb:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thermopyle posted:

Think about how your preference colors your interpretation of the statements of people on both sides of the debate.

You show me the posters complaining about small phones, seriously calling them idiot phones. This isn't going on in my head.

Nooooooo it's not... not... you!?!

I imagine you as this huge guy with little t-rex arms now. Small guys complaining about big phones, sure, but size 16 feet and you can't handle a phablet? C'mooooon

Maybe I thought it was lots of people complaining but it was just Dr rear end in a top hat changing his name.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 14, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Couple reviews out there for the Zenfone 2 as of today. Reviews are positive for the most part, some knocks on battery life but looking pretty solid for the price. Phone posting so I don't have links, but GSM Arena and I believe Android Authority have full reviews up now.

Edit: Still no US release date

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Couple reviews out there for the Zenfone 2 as of today. Reviews are positive for the most part, some knocks on battery life but looking pretty solid for the price. Phone posting so I don't have links, but GSM Arena and I believe Android Authority have full reviews up now.

Edit: Still no US release date

Well that's all well and good, but I don't know if I can take your post seriously until you post your glove and shoe size right here ITT

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've been having a weird problem with Hangouts since switching to a Moto X.

Sometimes, when I click on the notification for a new message, it takes me to that conversation, but WAY back in time...like, two weeks ago, and I have to scroll way the gently caress down to the actual new message.

Anyone else have this problem?

It's not every time, maybe half the time...and only when going to the conversation via the notification. If I click on the Hangouts icon, it will always load up the last message in the conversation.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Well that's all well and good, but I don't know if I can take your post seriously until you post your glove and shoe size right here ITT

You forgot hat size. If you don't have a oversized idiot clown head you look like you're holding a cookie sheet against your face.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

You show me the posters complaining about small phones, seriously calling them idiot phones. This isn't going on in my head.

I don't need to show you this, because I wasn't claiming that.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Glove and shoe size are both "Clown" as I am Ronald McDonald IRL.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've been having a weird problem with Hangouts since switching to a Moto X.

Sometimes, when I click on the notification for a new message, it takes me to that conversation, but WAY back in time...like, two weeks ago, and I have to scroll way the gently caress down to the actual new message.

Anyone else have this problem?

It's not every time, maybe half the time...and only when going to the conversation via the notification. If I click on the Hangouts icon, it will always load up the last message in the conversation.

I've had this issue on Hangouts on multiple devices since forever, I thought it was just a Hangouts bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Every once in a while, hangouts will give a notification of some texts a long time ago. It's always the same five messages.