Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hockles posted:

You do have it backwards. Arnold arrives first, because it shows the stoic Arnold rising up from a kneel, whereas Reese is just dropped to earth, in pain.

Is the order reversed in T2 though? I thought I remembered that but maybe I just imagined it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Hasn't James Cameron answered this question in the past?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Parachute posted:

Hasn't James Cameron answered this question in the past?
What question?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

What question?

Whether or not the beginning of T2 is purposely ambiguous.

I don't think its much of a question, it seems self evident to me that the entire opening portion of T2 is designed that way.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Even the Cameron-directed teaser trailer for T2 frames Arnold as the bad guy. I don't think that was by accident.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

T2 was definitely directed to subvert expectations. If you were in a bubble and had only seen Terminator 1, you'd assume that the T-1000 was a much better person at blending in than Reese, since he's the opposite of a Terminator - quick, lithe, and emotive. Any "weirdness" in how he emotes (as he does act nice to people, smile, etc., which the Terminator in the first NEVER did) would be taken as him faking fitting in as a HUMAN. It was like he was a more "badass" upgrade to Reese, that knew exactly what he was doing, but was still no nonsense. Notice that he only turns into "completely cold robot" once the reveal is done in the hallway.

If anything, the ridiculous at the time costs for the film probably studio - convinced Cameron to let the cat out of the bag to show the "brand new effects" that would bring the public to the movie and solidify the box office. Knowing there's a shapeshifter automatically puts the onus on the T-1000 on his appearance, so there's no real way to hide that as long as you know that effect is there.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

david_a posted:

As for the T-1000's applicability in the future war, plasma rifles would probably make short work of one once they spot it since it doesn't deal well with high temperatures.
One thing I've always wondered: Would dropping the T-1000 into the molten steel have been enough to kill him if he had not already been frozen/shattered previously? Or was being frozen first necessary to make the molten steel kill him? Especially if you view it in the context of the director's cut where after being frozen/shattered, the T-1000 kept glitching and couldn't stop from morphing into the things that he touched.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I was always under the impression that the T1000 died basically through dilution in a hostile medium. There was a lot more molten metal than there was memetic polyalloy, and its intense heat was destroying it blob by blob, by mass alone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

I was always under the impression that the T1000 died basically through dilution in a hostile medium. There was a lot more molten metal than there was memetic polyalloy, and its intense heat was destroying it blob by blob, by mass alone.

Yea I think its that the alloy has a temperature range, and it can't reform above whatever that is. And if you were to dump that molten metal out and cool it down the alloy's molecules would be locked into place inside it, unable to move around to reform itself.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Basebf555 posted:

Is the order reversed in T2 though? I thought I remembered that but maybe I just imagined it.

Depending what "order" you refer to.

In T2, Arnold again arrives first, does the stoic rise from a kneel, biker bar etc, to get an idea of how the terminator enters our time. The T-1000 scene starts with a cop responding to the "electrical disturbance" and looking at the giant hole in the fence left by the time-bubble. The T-1000 isn't shown on screen until he punches/stabs the cop, so his actual entry isn't shown.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I think its that the alloy has a temperature range, and it can't reform above whatever that is. And if you were to dump that molten metal out and cool it down the alloy's molecules would be locked into place inside it, unable to move around to reform itself.

Or perhaps at certain temperature ranges, the alloy starts to lose code, or worse, simply be destroyed by reaction with the medium. So instead of blobs of memetic polyalloy, there were just various iron alloys that amounted to trace impurities in the molten iron left over.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 14, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Not gonna lie, the first time I saw T2 as a kid I expected the T-1000 to somehow "assimilate" all that molten metal and rise back up as some kind of giant metal monster.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
After all these years I still don't get why the T1000 was even naked. Or well, had a naked form. Also he was not living tissue. This directly contradicted the first movie. :colbert:

Also I have to say, for many years the second one was my favorite and it is still a great movie, but last time I watched the two I came to the conclusion that I like the first one better.

Young people these days only get poo poo movies like Geneyeyisiysis, it's kinda sad.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The T-1000 was naked to throw people off, from a film making standpoint. From a movie standpoint, he had a set template human visage, with programming to assimilate the clothing of that era that would allow him to get the most information on John. He just happened to show up right by a police officer while naked before he could get anything else in the meantime, so.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the t-1000 obviously has some capability to perfectly mimic human flesh with his polyalloy bullshit otherwise he'd be instantly discovered when people touched him

goons~

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Honestly that living tissue is all that can pass the ~time machine~ doesn't really make any sense to begin with but you can also overthink things

E: and yes I engineered lots of time machines what of it

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Our only source for how the machine works is Reese himself, who only has second hand understanding of the machine and none of the theory. Hence any inconsistencies are based on his own flawed understanding.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Milky Moor posted:

the t-1000 obviously has some capability to perfectly mimic human flesh with his polyalloy bullshit otherwise he'd be instantly discovered when people touched him

goons~

Obviously Skynet skinned the real Robert Patrick alive, poured the T-100 into the skinsuit and sent it back. Then the T-1000 just used Robert Patrick as its default look because it was an rear end in a top hat.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The "only living tissue" thing was just a plot device so Kyle and the Terminator couldn't have rayguns and poo poo to instakill each other with.

Funnily enough, one of the early Dark Horse Comics 'Terminator' series has a bunch of bad guy Terminators capture a resistance fighter, cut him open, stick a raygun in his belly and stitch him up, and then take him with them when they go back in time. Not bad for thinking on the fly. v:shobon:v

I always wrote off the T-1000 as being a nanomachine, and would be able to mimic "flesh" on some level that would fool the time machine.

Speaking of the time machine, in the script and novelizations and whatnot it's referred to as "time displacement equipment", and in the original 'Terminator' and T2 scripts, it was literally exactly that - it would create a sphere and then literally swap whatever was in that sphere with the material in the exact same location at the particular destination time you set it for. The T2 novelization has a scripted but un-filmed scene at the very beginning of the movie of John Connor sending Kyle Reese back in time, and John knows the time machine sent Kyle to the right time because the time displacement happens to bring back a newspaper with the date "May 12, 1984".
The way the script/novelization explains Kyle and the Terminator arriving at different locations is that there were two time machines, and each one sent objects back in time to the exact same location in the past - Skynet deployed the Terminator and then locked out the time machine once it realized the Resistance had broken in and compromised it, so John and co. learned there was a backup time machine in an adjacent facility and went over and used that one.

Also originally the Terminator was meant to confirm that he'd killed the correct Sarah Connor by cutting into each Sarah's leg and looking for a pin in her thigh that she'd gotten after an injury.
The "catch" is, the injury she got the pin for was when the Terminator endoskeleton blew in half at the end of the movie and she got the shard of metal in her thigh.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

So this is looking more like it may be a generic action movie, but I'm still holding out optimistic hope. It's not going to be T1/T2 caliber, but if it was up to par to T3, I'd be decently satisfied.

Some thoughts/points on the new trailer:

I'm assuming that there's the Asian dude T-1000 as well as Nano-Connor? (That they're not the same machine?) Given that the T-1000 doesn't appear in all of the scenes, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets killed off midway through the movie.

It doesn't look like John Connor is the bad guy as much as he's "infected" (or "infested") by the nanobots. Kyle mentions undoing what happened to John. So maybe it's a case of trying to separate the man from the machine? (Like removing a virus from an infected person?)

There are "Genisys" billboards in the city. Based on the cloud background it looks like some kind of...I don't know. Medical restoration procedure?

There's a showdown scene (presumably the final scene of the movie) in what looks to be a different Time Displacement room. It has guardrails and ladders and other "human" touches, and you can see the Cyberdyne logo on the monitors.

Sasquatch! fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 15, 2015

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sasquatch! posted:

It doesn't look like John Connor is the bad guy as much as he's "infected" (or "infested") by the nanobots. Kyle mentions undoing what happened to John. So maybe it's a case of trying to separate the man from the machine? (Like removing a virus from an infected person?)

*John gets infected with nanobots.*

"nah, he's still good, we just need to un-infect him and he'll be right as rain."

*Infected Nano bot john gets shot in the chest with a shot gun. Gets hole blown through hans*

"okay this isn't looking great for him, but I'm sure the nano bots will of protected him enough for his body underneath to be fine."

*Infected Nano bot john turns into nano blob and back again. *

":( "

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I'm really loving angry that I bothered to watch that trailer. They spoiled so much poo poo that I'm probably not even going to see it in the theater now. I love being surprised or at least given the opportunity to figure poo poo out.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

You know, I'm really surprised they decided to reveal this whole John Connor thing while still trying to keep Matt Smiths role a secret even though it's leaked that he's playing

Skynet

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shadoer posted:

You know, I'm really surprised they decided to reveal this whole John Connor thing while still trying to keep Matt Smiths role a secret even though it's leaked that he's playing

Skynet

Is he supposed to have more of a role in a sequel? Seems weird to be so secretive about it when it amounts to like two or three scenes at the beginning of the movie. I'm assuming once Skynet takes the form of Connor that's it for Matt Smith.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

I'm really loving angry that I bothered to watch that trailer. They spoiled so much poo poo that I'm probably not even going to see it in the theater now. I love being surprised or at least given the opportunity to figure poo poo out.

Dude, it's an action movie which isn't going to be very good. These aren't exactly earth shattering revelations in a mystery story. I'm betting it takes like 10 minutes of screentime before they bust out the new effects.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Shadoer posted:

Skynet

Is Matt Smith that big of a draw? I don't watch Dr. Who, so the only thing I really have ever seen him in was an episode of Top Gear.

It could just be that they aren't playing up that he's in the movie because outside of Dr. Who fans, who would already know he's in the movie, showing him doesn't sell much.

Jai Courtney and Jason Clarke at least have the "That guy!" thing going. If anything I'm surprised we haven't seen J.K. Simmons more in the promotional material since he's so big because of Whiplash.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 16, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

Is Matt Smith that big of a draw? I don't watch Dr. Who, so the only thing I really have ever seen him in was an episode of Top Gear.

It could just be that they aren't playing up that he's in the movie because outside of Dr. Who fans, who would already know he's in the movie, showing him doesn't sell much.

Jai Courtney and Jason Clarke at least have the "That guy!" thing going. If anything I'm surprised we haven't seen J.K. Simmons more in the promotional material since he's so big because of Whiplash.

No, he's not really that much of a draw but its weird that they seem to be going out of their way to hide his specific role, while they aren't being shy at all about showing us what happens to Connor. I feel like the Connor thing would be the twist they'd want to protect, but they are spoiling that all over the place.

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records
The only thing I really recall about T4 was....Bale Out, the Remix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTihsJQHt48

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I wonder if it falls into the realm of stunt casting or something.

We've got a time travel movie, that guy from that popular time travel show is free and will cost us as much as relatively recognizable US character actor for the role but will get us a lot more buzz than throwing in the guy who played Stabler in SVU.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This is going to offend a whole lot of people, but Jai Courtney, Gerard Butler and Tom Hardy, to me, are just almost interchangeable. I literally get one confused for the other all the time. They could do a movie with all three as Terminators and I'd be completely lost as to who was the bad guy and who was the good guy model.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is going to offend a whole lot of people, but Jai Courtney, Gerard Butler and Tom Hardy, to me, are just almost interchangeable. I literally get one confused for the other all the time. They could do a movie with all three as Terminators and I'd be completely lost as to who was the bad guy and who was the good guy model.

I really thought that Die Hard movie would end Jai Courtney's career. His bland forgettableness is one of the primary reasons the movie was terrible. I was distressed to read rumors that there is another sequel in the works and Courtney will be returning.

Butler and Hardy are a cut above guys like Jai Courtney in my book. They have enough charisma and acting ability to play memorable characters, they've at least proven they're capable of that even if they don't pull it off in every role.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hardy and Butler have more personality in their pinkies than that guy. Thought he was just some random guy and not the spaz from Die Hard whatever that I never watched.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Oh, I want to throw Sam Worthington back in there too, to further confuse me.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

JediTalentAgent posted:

While his movie work hasn't been all that great, Jai Courtney was really good in Spartacus.

Hardy is amazing, if you haven't seen Bronson, Warrior or Locke you should.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 16, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Nicolas Winding Refn has a way of making Generic White Man actors come out of their shells and start doing amazing poo poo. First Tom Hardy with Bronson, then Ryan Gosling with Drive/OGF.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Tom Hardy is a really great actor. Comparing him with Sam Worthington is mean

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Tom Hardy is leaps and bounds better than Gerard Butler, to say nothing of Jai Courtney (a poor man's Sam Worthington) who isn't even capable of being a stand-in for Hardy.

I mean, just look at Courtney and Worthington; They're the same guy. It's like someone went out and 3D printed some replicas of the all too common vaguely angry, stubbled, squared headed video game protagonists.

Sam Worthington can kind of act, or at least emote effectively. Courtney can't even do that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Courtney had crappy movie material. He was good in Spartacus, but NOT as a leading role, which is also important (he's not someone that, to this point, can really carry a film, but was good in playing off of a more charismatic leading man).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I just wish John Connor didn't look like a Colm Meaney knock-off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

david_a posted:

:drat:

As for the T-1000's applicability in the future war, plasma rifles would probably make short work of one once they spot it since it doesn't deal well with high temperatures.

Coincidentally plasma rifles also make short work of regular t-800s, and hunter-killers in general.

Also the t-1000 was killed by being submerged in continously heated molten metal it survived that truck exploding just fine.

• Locked thread