Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

really I'm just glad that I got talisman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Madmarker posted:

Who bought all these avatars anyway? Does Rutibex have an evil alternate personality or something? And when did he become Tom Vasel?

I might be evil, but I don't have the kind of money to throw at internet avatar changes. It's definitely not me. My money is on Ralp, he posts in the boardgame thread some times and he's a admin so he can change avatars for free to amuse himself.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rutibex posted:

I might be evil, but I don't have the kind of money to throw at internet avatar changes. It's definitely not me. My money is on Ralp, he posts in the boardgame thread some times and he's a admin so he can change avatars for free to amuse himself.

That actually makes a surprising amount of sense.

Mods knew :tinfoil:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

My money is on Ralp, he posts in the boardgame thread some times and he's a admin so he can change avatars for free to amuse himself.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Rutibex posted:

Power corrupts!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Fungah! posted:

Also quick EmDom question, if I'm playing 3p is the standard or the long variant better? I played the standard variant and it seemed like it ended way too quickly, but I'm not sure if the long variant would make the game shittier or something. Also how's the 5p play in the expac?

I prefer long variant. It doesn't feel too long in a "win more" way and strategies that race to the game end will still work. The short variant makes the game have too much of a population dependent strategy problem, where if everyone drafts from the same stacks the game might end before some strategies even had a chance, and it can feel like it's out of your control. This is especially important when playing with the scenarios, because you are less flexible so even if you predict people depleting your piles, you might not be able to avoid it

5p seems like it would be bad because all roles would be called, kind of like Race/Rome, but I haven't tried it.

also, you guys are just now figuring out it's ralp? jeesh

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

All my AV changes can't be attributed to Ralp alone.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I prefer long variant. It doesn't feel too long in a "win more" way and strategies that race to the game end will still work. The short variant makes the game have too much of a population dependent strategy problem, where if everyone drafts from the same stacks the game might end before some strategies even had a chance, and it can feel like it's out of your control. This is especially important when playing with the scenarios, because you are less flexible so even if you predict people depleting your piles, you might not be able to avoid it

5p seems like it would be bad because all roles would be called, kind of like Race/Rome, but I haven't tried it.

also, you guys are just now figuring out it's ralp? jeesh

Yeah, that was the issue I had, everyone pushed colonization so the game ended very quickly and I was going for a strategy that took a little longer to get rolling so I ended up losing. Still really enjoyed it though, EmDom's about the best non-Dominion deckbuilder I've played. I can definitely see the issues people were talking about where it felt like half a game, but it looks like the expac should fix that.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Fungah! posted:

Also quick EmDom question, if I'm playing 3p is the standard or the long variant better? I played the standard variant and it seemed like it ended way too quickly, but I'm not sure if the long variant would make the game shittier or something. Also how's the 5p play in the expac?

Either of the 3p modes are fine, I usually play the long one, though. If you aren't playing with the expac you are only playing like half a game, it really makes everything better. 5p is nice and I haven't had the problems above of people all going for colonize any more than they do in 3 or 4 players. Newish players always really hammer on colonize not realizing that there are better ways to get points and do things. At the same time, with requiring two decks to be depleted, if people just spam colonize all the time it isn't that bad because you still have to get through another deck before the game ends so I feel the length is still pretty solid.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I find this isn't really the case because it's harder to meaningfully follow all the roles if you don't have the cards in your hand that you need. Usually several people in a row do the same role because they didn't have the cards they needed at the time or they needed the leader bonus so it doesn't end up like Race/Rome where you could feasibly do all or most of the roles in a given cycle before it gets back to you.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

EvilChameleon posted:

I find this isn't really the case because it's harder to meaningfully follow all the roles if you don't have the cards in your hand that you need. Usually several people in a row do the same role because they didn't have the cards they needed at the time or they needed the leader bonus so it doesn't end up like Race/Rome where you could feasibly do all or most of the roles in a given cycle before it gets back to you.

I was less concerned about being able to dribble out one of every role a cycle and more concerned about 2 role hands becoming much less risky. For example, in a 3 player game, I might hang onto a couple survey cards if I feel like there is a good chance of someone calling tha , but it's a calculated risk and the opponents might even anticipate that based on what planets I have. If I hang onto 1-2 survey cards with no plan to choose that role for myself, and I can't follow someone, then I may have burnt myself out of going all in on a discard to pad out the other cards in my hand for the specific role I'm going to call. It's a pretty neat decision to have to make.

In a 5 player game, I guess I would be worried about that decision becoming less important because you would be more likely to guess a survey from the other 4 players without fail.

But again, I haven't played 5p yet so if you say it's still fun then I'll have to try it!

And yeah, the expansion owns! I bought the planet promos off of the boardgamegeek store, too. Can't wait for the next expansion, I believe it will have asteroids or something

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I bought Mage Knight at Megacon this weekend. I mostly got it to play solo, but holy poo poo this game is complicated. I also got Star Realms and it's a blast. Great deckbuilder.

I kinda want to get Marvel Dice Masters but I'm not sure about it. Is it worth getting into, or is it a big money sink to really enjoy?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bottom Liner posted:

I bought Mage Knight at Megacon this weekend. I mostly got it to play solo, but holy poo poo this game is complicated. I also got Star Realms and it's a blast. Great deckbuilder.

I kinda want to get Marvel Dice Masters but I'm not sure about it. Is it worth getting into, or is it a big money sink to really enjoy?

Most of us would say no, but we also think Star Realms is pretty bleh as well. As a rule, blind-box anything is a bad deal, as there are tons of other games out there that are fantastic without needing to go down that path.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 14, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
To be fair, I think Ascension is better than Star Realms, but it's paper edition is expensive as hell and Star Realms was only $10 for the full set, can't beat that. It's also a bit simpler and has co-op and solo challenges, which is ideal for us.

As for Marvel, yeah I don't want to get into boosters and crap, just wanted to get the starter sets and was wondering if they're worth it?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Bottom Liner posted:

To be fair, I think Ascension is better than Star Realms, but it's paper edition is expensive as hell and Star Realms was only $10 for the full set, can't beat that. It's also a bit simpler and has co-op and solo challenges, which is ideal for us.

As for Marvel, yeah I don't want to get into boosters and crap, just wanted to get the starter sets and was wondering if they're worth it?

You don't get quite enough in the base set to have a 'real' game of Marvel Dice Masters, you just kind of get this halfway house 'starter' game, I think you might need to get a few of the dice packs to get enough out of the game to warrant playing it.

It's pretty much Quarriors where each player chooses their dice pools though, so I don't know if it warrants really getting stuck into.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Bottom Liner posted:

That's pretty much damning with faint praise.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Bottom Liner posted:

I can think of at least four ways to go infinite in Ascension, depending on which expansions you have thrown in. If that's better than Star Realms, I'm not sure what to tell you.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
So my wife likes card games, like Rummy 500, Gin, King's Corner, etc. She also likes Cards Against Humanity (I know, I know), which has been our go-to party game for a while... but the last few times we've tried playing it with people who are not funny or try to hard to 'win' each round by picking a literal answer or some poo poo instead of just loving picking a funny sounding card has kind of turned us off from the game.

I'm trying to find a good new card game for her. I'm thinking maybe Dominion? Anyone know any other 'card games' that are not too CCG/LCG for her, as I think anything that faintly smells of MTG she'll mostly instantly think is way too nerdy for her.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

OmegaGoo posted:

I can think of at least four ways to go infinite in Ascension, depending on which expansions you have thrown in. If that's better than Star Realms, I'm not sure what to tell you.

At least going infinite is fun, unlike basically anything you do in Star Realms.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

jeeves posted:

So my wife likes card games, like Rummy 500, Gin, King's Corner, etc. She also likes Cards Against Humanity (I know, I know), which has been our go-to party game for a while... but the last few times we've tried playing it with people who are not funny or try to hard to 'win' each round by picking a literal answer or some poo poo instead of just loving picking a funny sounding card has kind of turned us off from the game.

I'm trying to find a good new card game for her. I'm thinking maybe Dominion? Anyone know any other 'card games' that are not too CCG/LCG for her, as I think anything that faintly smells of MTG she'll mostly instantly think is way too nerdy for her.

7 Wonders? It's not strictly a card game, but there are parallels with King's Corner in terms of placing cards on the table in an arrangement, and the theme is neutral enough that it should be appealing.

Alternately, Race for the Galaxy, but that might be a bit heavy.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

jeeves posted:

What about something lighter, like Love Letter, Red7 or No Thanks? For 2-players, maybe the Lost Cities card game.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

jeeves posted:

Battle Line is good for two players. If you like trick-taking games there are some good ones out there like Sticheln, Texas 42 (partnership game played with double six dominoes) and various Tarot/Tarock games. None of them are two player, though. Haggis and Tichu are fairly popular as well.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jeeves posted:

Echoing Lost Cities and seconding your suggestion of Dominion. Dominion is a cool game for cool people.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Alternatively, go full nerd with the co-op Lord of the Rings LCG. Steer into the skid.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

jeeves posted:

Jaipur. Dominion is also a good choice.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Thanks guys, going to look over those choices.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jeeves posted:

Thanks guys, going to look over those choices.

If it's just the two of you Fluxx is a good choice as well, just don't play it with more than 2.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

biblios is pretty tight as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jeeves posted:

Any trick taking or set collection game except Tichu. I favour Dodekka because it plays best with 4 or 5, so you can play in groups as well as two-handed (if you play two-handed count your two best sets, or you'll always score negative). From there you can step up to card driven point generation games or tile laying games - I like Maharani for this because it's faster and simpler than Carcassonne and also has more strategy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

jeeves posted:

people who try to hard to 'win' each round by picking a literal answer or some poo poo instead of just loving picking a funny sounding card has kind of turned us off from the game.

These people unironically own

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I realize this is probably a dumb question, but can someone summarize the substantive differences between Star Wars Imperial Assault and Star Wars Armada?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jeeves posted:

She also likes Cards Against Humanity (I know, I know), which has been our go-to party game for a while... but the last few times we've tried playing it with people who are not funny or try to hard to 'win' each round by picking a literal answer or some poo poo instead of just loving picking a funny sounding card has kind of turned us off from the game.

lol how did I miss this part before?

"This game is about saying random vulgar nonsense, we don't appreciate people trying to make sense out of it!"

Lmao yeah they're the assholes because they're trying to make some sense out of the game instead of making ~random~ jokes that a 6th grader would find tired. At least if they turned you off the game then they've done a good deed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lorini posted:

I realize this is probably a dumb question, but can someone summarize the substantive differences between Star Wars Imperial Assault and Star Wars Armada?

Put really really simply, Armada is x-Wing with capital ships, ImpAss is Descent, Star Wars edition

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Chomp8645 posted:

lol how did I miss this part before?

"This game is about saying random vulgar nonsense, we don't appreciate people trying to make sense out of it!"

Lmao yeah they're the assholes because they're trying to make some sense out of the game instead of making ~random~ jokes that a 6th grader would find tired. At least if they turned you off the game then they've done a good deed.

Cards Against Humanity isn't really a game. It's a way to sit back, say vulgar stuff, and laugh with friends. I prefer to just sit back and talk, personally, but some people really like CAH for some strange reason that I'll never quite inderstand. Playing CAH to win is missing the point by miles.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Variety in CaH makes it less tedious. So people doing something other than being as obscene as possible helps.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

admanb posted:

At least going infinite is fun, unlike basically anything you do in Star Realms.

Crashing an app by overflowing the arrays because you've played more cards than the developers expected is kinda fun, I guess.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Put really really simply, Armada is x-Wing with capital ships, ImpAss is Descent, Star Wars edition

It sounds like you should get both and create some rules to bridge the two systems into a mega-campaign. It would be the Star Wars Online of boardgames.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

jivjov posted:

I know nothing about X Wings though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dirk the Average posted:

Cards Against Humanity isn't really a game. It's a way to sit back, say vulgar stuff, and laugh with friends. I prefer to just sit back and talk, personally, but some people really like CAH for some strange reason that I'll never quite inderstand. Playing CAH to win is missing the point by miles.

I agree that trying hard to win is pointless and dumb, but this jagoff was complaining about people trying to use cards that make sense. What the gently caress is that poo poo?

"Nah bro. See the lead was 'stuff white people say' and you chose a card that actually features a spoken sentence and therefore logically follows. gently caress you you're a try hard and turning me off the game, I'm giving the point to the dude who chose 'Sonic the Hedgehog in lingerie', he knows how to be funny!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lorini posted:

Tabletop minis game; maneuver ships around a battlefield, gaining abilities and actions from equipped cards, get superior positioning, shoot mans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Lorini posted:

Well aside from the obvious thematic difference (space ships vs. infantry units), a game of xwing/Armada are played in mostly large open game space, 3'x3' or bigger, as opposed to ImpAss's gridded tiles that make up a defined board. Players secretly assign movements/actions to all their ships, and then simultaneously reveal them before resolving them in an order determined by some stats each model has. Both ship games are primarily designed to be head-to-head skirmish games where your key objective is to eliminate all the opposing models, though there are some objective-based modes of play as well. ImpAss is designed to be a multi-player campaign, has co-operative gameplay for a majority of the players (ala Descent as mentioned previously), and mechanically there isn't really all the hidden information.

I own ImpAss, but I haven't played it or Armada first-hand yet so someone else might be able to do a better job of explaining some of the mechanical differences. They really aren't very similar, but I'm having a hard time parsing out exactly how to explain it.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 15, 2015