Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Back on the amazing and great topic of droids that can feel pain, I remember from my early days of reading absolute garbage that there was a short story in one of the many godawful collections, "Tales From Jabba's Palace", that went into the backstory of that loving torture droid. From what has unfortunately stuck in my mind, most droids aren't capable of feeling pain on their own and it's only the ones that are designed to have heavy interaction with organics that are programmed for it. So like if you get mad because your Astromech just hosed up and give it a kick it can register that OW gently caress I GUESS MASTER IS MAD AT ME. And the torture droid had some kind of weird programming or manufacturing flaw that let it sense pleasure, which it got from DROID TORTURE. So it rigged that gonker up with some kind of loving pain sensor just to torture it and get off.

This is obviously the highest level of canon and indisputable, so I hope you all will keep it in mind for future debate on the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

homullus posted:

A New Hope is a much better story when Leia is the only competent character -- it indirectly emphasizes the power of the Force, too. I prefer charming-but-kind-of-sucky Han to masterful, wall-of-Wookiepedia-text Han.

I agree with this. For most of my childhood, A New Hope was the only Star Wars film, since it's the only one we had on VHS. And in that Leia comes off as the only competent character (apart from Ben and Artoo) in the whole Death Star escape scene where Luke, Chewie and Han bumble about making silly mistakes and getting their foot stuck in it (literally in the case of the Dianoga in the trash compactor).

I always thought Leia was super cool. :allears:

I hear the new comics that feature her as a protagonist are pretty good.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

homullus posted:

A New Hope is a much better story when Leia is the only competent character -- it indirectly emphasizes the power of the Force, too. I prefer charming-but-kind-of-sucky Han to masterful, wall-of-Wookiepedia-text Han.

Yeah absolutely, Luke is an inexperienced kid, Obi-Wan goes off and does what he needs to for everyone else to escape. Han is a decent pilot but gets caught in an easy trap and isn't really particular clever or quick witted but hes a pretty dashing rogue. Leia takes charge pretty much immediately and leads everyone out, even gives Luke a proper drive and motivational talk so he can try and move on from Han being a scoundrel and leaving. She picks up on the easy escape pretty much immediately when they only sent 4 TIE fighters after them. She is the one competent character in the group for a New Hope. Shes the best Disney Princess.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Leia is how I imagine people should play the Diplomat class in Age of Rebellion, and it always makes me sad when nobody picks it. :(

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Endman posted:

I agree with this. For most of my childhood, A New Hope was the only Star Wars film, since it's the only one we had on VHS. And in that Leia comes off as the only competent character (apart from Ben and Artoo) in the whole Death Star escape scene where Luke, Chewie and Han bumble about making silly mistakes and getting their foot stuck in it (literally in the case of the Dianoga in the trash compactor).

I always thought Leia was super cool. :allears:

I hear the new comics that feature her as a protagonist are pretty good.

Outside of the Death Star sequence, though, R2 doopdy-doos his way into Jawa hands, and Ben is all "Huh, good job getting your rear end kicked, Luke! Here's a lethal weapon that's more of a threat to you than to anyone else. Now let's go to Alderaan right now!" while Owen and Beru are getting murdered.

And when I put it that way, I wonder whether Obi-Wan knew they were dead already, and was hoping to talk Luke into going without visiting home first. He certainly doesn't seem too surprised.

Endman
May 18, 2010

homullus posted:

Outside of the Death Star sequence, though, R2 doopdy-doos his way into Jawa hands, and Ben is all "Huh, good job getting your rear end kicked, Luke! Here's a lethal weapon that's more of a threat to you than to anyone else. Now let's go to Alderaan right now!" while Owen and Beru are getting murdered.

And when I put it that way, I wonder whether Obi-Wan knew they were dead already, and was hoping to talk Luke into going without visiting home first. He certainly doesn't seem too surprised.

It was the ~will of the force~ that they get horribly and brutally disintegrated by Boba Fett.

Leia is the PC every party needs in this game. The one who knows what the hell is going on and what needs to be done. Otherwise your motley band of rebels will never get their acts together.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Woah, woah, woah, since when did Bobba Fett kill Luke's parents?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Covok posted:

Woah, woah, woah, since when did Bobba Fett kill Luke's parents?

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure there was a deleted scene that indicated that Boba Fett was in/near Mos Eisley at the time, and that it's implied that he torched them and their house with his flamethrower. (although nothing concrete in regards to him killing them, right? ...Also how come we're all spoilering his name?)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Major Isoor posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure there was a deleted scene that indicated that Boba Fett was in/near Mos Eisley at the time, and that it's implied that he torched them and their house with his flamethrower. (although nothing concrete in regards to him killing them, right? ...Also how come we're all spoilering his name?)

This is loving retarded, and yet more of the dumb garbage that the EU inserted into the film storylines to tie random poo poo in.

No.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Fuzz posted:

This is loving retarded, and yet more of the dumb garbage that the EU inserted into the film storylines to tie random poo poo in.

No.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree. Since I mean, for one thing why would they bother hiring a (presumably expensive) bounty hunter to ransack a house and retrieve some droids with information that they want to take all measures to keep secret, when they can quite easily send a detachment of storm troopers to do it for less cost - especially since there'd be a reduced risk of the information being duplicated and sold/given to a third party, if it gets retrieved by the storm troopers, as opposed to if it were retrieved by Boba.

And that's just practical reasoning from the Empire's point of view - I've got no doubt that there are other reasons, such as BF having standards about burning innocent farmers alive, and the like. (although I'm not really sure about that last one, since they don't really go into anything like that in the movies, and well, you know what the EU can be like)

EDIT: vvv Yeah, I remember reading about it somewhere and looking it up, then just thinking :wtc:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 14, 2015

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

If this is true hahahaah omg that is the new dumbest thing. A scene used to show the empire is evil so the audience doesn't like them and view the stormtroopers as dangerous AND to give luke motivation to go fight them is changed to that. The EU is just the worst.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Fuzz posted:

No.

Well we were just talking about the dumb things the prequels shoved in to tie everything together, so I thought I'd add a stupid tie-in courtesy of the fans :v:

For anyone who doesn't know, the idea is that when Vader pointedly tells Boba "No disintegrations!" in Empire Strikes Back, he's referencing the incinerated corpses of the Lars couple.

Personally, I always liked that little theory. And as far as I know it was just a fan theory. I have no idea if it actually features in any published EU material.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
In a setting filled to the brim with silly, silly crap (though fans blowing their lid at how a trio of mediocre at worst movies RUINED THEIR CHILDHOOD GUYS :bahgawd: never gets old), that theory sets a new level of stupidity. Why do nerds need to make references where there isn't? Vader is telling that to Boba Fett to set him up as a dangerous bounty hunter, not as a throwback. That and well, Beru and Owen got incinerated, not disintegrated!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Iceclaw posted:

In a setting filled to the brim with silly, silly crap (though fans blowing their lid at how a trio of mediocre at worst movies RUINED THEIR CHILDHOOD GUYS :bahgawd: never gets old), that theory sets a new level of stupidity. Why do nerds need to make references where there isn't? Vader is telling that to Boba Fett to set him up as a dangerous bounty hunter, not as a throwback. That and well, Beru and Owen got incinerated, not disintegrated!

No, see, Boba Fett's flamethrower was Force-sensitive, and it made Vader say "disintegrations" instead of "incinerations" because it was actually created out of sentient cortosis/Kyber mesh alloy weave cloth, and while Boba Fett loses that flamethrower in one of his many Sarlacc digestions, it later ends up by turns in the hands of every character implied to survive the original trilogy.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
This is dumb.

Star Wars fans are dumb.

(I am a Star Wars fan)

Finnankainen
Oct 14, 2012
Wait, where is this Boba Fett killed Owen and Beru thing coming from? I'm 99.9% sure that's just a fan theory, because Wookipedia has nothing about it. The Lars family get shot by stormtroopers and the homestead torched just like the movie implies. The EU is plenty dumb but this isn't one of it's many sins.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Finnankainen posted:

Wait, where is this Boba Fett killed Owen and Beru thing coming from? I'm 99.9% sure that's just a fan theory, because Wookipedia has nothing about it. The Lars family get shot by stormtroopers and the homestead torched just like the movie implies. The EU is plenty dumb but this isn't one of it's many sins.

The only results I found from google were cracked and movieplot explanations of the theory. This is not EU, it's fan theory.

Also, what is and isn't canon from the EU?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

quote:

• The Star Wars original trilogy films—Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
  • The Star Wars prequel trilogy films—Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
  • The Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film
  • The Star Wars Rebels television series and its supplementary source material
  • Star Wars Insider fiction, beginning with "Blade Squadron" in Star Wars Insider 149
  • Information found in the StarWars.com Databank
  • Information previously found in the now-defunct StarWars.com Encyclopedia
  • All officially-licensed source material released following the September 2, 2014 novel A New Dawn.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah they nuked a ton of stuff with the coming of Episode 7 which is pretty great because there's a lot of crap in there,

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah they nuked a ton of stuff with the coming of Episode 7 which is pretty great because there's a lot of crap in there,

The EU is crap all the way down.

Covok
May 27, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

quote:

*The Star Wars original trilogy films—Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
*The Star Wars prequel trilogy films—Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
*The Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film
*The Star Wars Rebels television series and its supplementary source material
*Star Wars Insider fiction, beginning with "Blade Squadron" in Star Wars Insider 149
*Information found in the StarWars.com Databank
*Information previously found in the now-defunct StarWars.com Encyclopedia
*All officially-licensed source material released following the September 2, 2014 novel A New Dawn.

I...agree with this list. I don't know about Databank, Starwars.com Encylopedia, Insider, or the novels, but everything else makes sense. I'm glad the Clone Wars TV show is still canon...even if that means the Clone Wars Animated Film had to stay canon as well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
While I invested an inordinate amount of time, effort, and money collecting and reading the old EU, I really am glad of the wipe back to ground zero. There's no way a new film trilogy would go over well with general audiences if it was holding true to 30 years of ancillary bullshit.

Edit: alternately, having the sequel trilogy do its own thing without reference to the old eu at all would have angered a shitload of diehard fans who were heavily invested in the old canon. By officially acknowledging the old stuff and explicitly putting it into its own timeline, where it all still counts against itself and whatnot, the best of both worlds is achieved. The new films aren't beholden to three decades worth of novels and comics that the average viewer will never even know existed, the old stuff is still acknowledged and celebrated as its own thing.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 14, 2015

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Isn't it somewhat similar to what keeps happening with superhero movies, where every new movie kinda gets to make up its own canon? I haven't followed the comic book world very closely, but it seems like the Whedon Marvel movies borrow heavily from but aren't particularly faithful to the various comic canon timelines.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Wow there's a lot of new posts in this thread, I wonder what all the hubub is abo :yikes:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mustache Ride posted:

Wow there's a lot of new posts in this thread, I wonder what all the hubub is abo :yikes:

If you put Star Wars in the thread title, this is the eventual result.

Also, I'm listening to Peaches and Hotsauce's podcast Campaign which is all about Edge of the Empire. I've only played in one EotE game that died. The thing I'm finding weird about EotE from this podcast is how bad damage seems to be. Could be the GM, but it just doesn't feel Star-Wars-y.

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 14, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Also, I'm listening to Peaches and Hotsauce's podcast Campaign which is all about Edge of the Empire. I've only played in one EotE game that died. The thing I'm finding weird about EotE from this podcast is how bad damage seems to be. Could be the GM, but it just doesn't feel Star-Wars-y.

This is my main concern with it, also. It's mostly the same system as its parent, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3e, which is about as deadly as you can get. Three main characters get shot (C-3PO, R2-D2, and Leia) in the original films, and it's never more than an inconvenience; Luke loses his hand and it's barely alluded to again.

I also don't find the ship combat exciting unless every player is in his or her own ship (at which point it's fine, because it's essentially the same as regular combat).

On the other hand, Star Wars! In a grittier setting! With great art! I play it almost every week.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Endman posted:

Leia is how I imagine people should play the Diplomat class in Age of Rebellion, and it always makes me sad when nobody picks it. :(

Diplomat: Agitator here :clint:

Every party needs a Face, even big god drat heros.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Diplomat: Agitator here :clint:

Every party needs a Face, even big god drat heros.

You. I like you.

Also I now know the way to make the thread super duper cross is come up with dumb theories about the original trilogy. :v:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Does anyone have any thoughts on using the Dark Heresy wound tables in this game as a replacement for the standard critical hit table? :unsmigghh:

Covok
May 27, 2013

homullus posted:

This is my main concern with it, also. It's mostly the same system as its parent, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3e, which is about as deadly as you can get. Three main characters get shot (C-3PO, R2-D2, and Leia) in the original films, and it's never more than an inconvenience; Luke loses his hand and it's barely alluded to again.

I also don't find the ship combat exciting unless every player is in his or her own ship (at which point it's fine, because it's essentially the same as regular combat).

On the other hand, Star Wars! In a grittier setting! With great art! I play it almost every week.

Does Star Wars need to be "grittier," though? That's just not the concept that comes to mind when I think Star Wars. Ya know what I mean?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Covok posted:

If you put Star Wars in the thread title, this is the eventual result.

Yeah combat can be pretty nasty particularly early on. Thats why its really recommended you dont have individual enemies but have them act in squads. The squads are far weaker and easy to kill than if every enemy is operating independently. Three storm troopers if they hit are going to deal 30 points of damage mimimum while 3 storm troopers working in one group are more likely to hit but only deal 10 damage minimum. Stormtroopers in general a super nasty to players fresh out of the gate, particularly if they havn't taken anything more than their starting 500credits, so thats not the best example. They should be pretty dangerous threats. On the other hand a character with a little bit of xp and money under their belt can comfortably get 5/6 soak and be able to halve the damage a storm trooper does. Generally anyone who has finished off a talent tree and taken some skills can deal with storm troopers while a combat tree completion will let you just massacre them. It starts out pretty lethal certainly though.

EDIT: Also Covok come hang out with us.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 15, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Does Star Wars need to be "grittier," though? That's just not the concept that comes to mind when I think Star Wars. Ya know what I mean?

Empire Strikes Back is darker and grittier than A New Hope. The characters have to make some hard decisions with some consequences, and some bad things happen that move the story forward. I don't need the Star Wars version of Reservoir Dogs, but a Star Wars version of The Godfather sounds pretty great to me (and The Godfather is grittier than Star Wars).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Endman posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on using the Dark Heresy wound tables in this game as a replacement for the standard critical hit table? :unsmigghh:

It would probably be easier to use the critical hit deck from WFRP3e, since the dice systems are somewhat similar.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Endman posted:

The existing crit tables are fine--just treat every weapon as having Vicious in an amount equal to however much damage penetrates defenses.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

homullus posted:

Empire Strikes Back is darker and grittier than A New Hope. The characters have to make some hard decisions with some consequences, and some bad things happen that move the story forward. I don't need the Star Wars version of Reservoir Dogs, but a Star Wars version of The Godfather sounds pretty great to me (and The Godfather is grittier than Star Wars).

Man ESB isn't what I'd call gritty. It's still pretty basic heroic space opera.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Man ESB isn't what I'd call gritty. It's still pretty basic heroic space opera.

I feel some people confuse gritty with drama.

Endman
May 18, 2010

ESB isn't super gritty or anything, but its themes are a lot darker than A New Hope.

The Rebels lose in their fight against the attacking Imperial forces on Hoth.

Luke trains with Yoda, but fails to overcome the darkness within himself (symbolised by the fight with ghost-Vader in the magical cave), then he rushes off to defeat his nemesis, only to lose horribly and get his arm chopped off.

Han overcomes his fear of commitment by expressing his feelings to Leia only to be frozen in carbonite and shipped off to Jabba.

Leia expresses her feelings towards Han only to lose him immediately per the above.

At the end of the film you get a real sense that the Rebels have lost this one. Things are far more desperate and there's very little of the same heroic feeling you get at the end of A New Hope.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Endman posted:

At the end of the film you get a real sense that the Rebels have lost this one. Things are far more desperate and there's very little of the same heroic feeling you get at the end of A New Hope.

Yea sure, this is the 'heroes at their lowest point' stock standard part of every standard story.

Endman
May 18, 2010

kingcom posted:

Yea sure, this is the 'heroes at their lowest point' stock standard part of every standard story.

In that case, what's the issue with EotE being a bit "grittier" than regular Star Wars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Madurai posted:

The existing crit tables are fine--just treat every weapon as having Vicious in an amount equal to however much damage penetrates defenses.

Oh man, the last session I ran was continuing a eote and f&d joint game since we couldn't do the main campaign for that day. So was total improv with the fact the players were going to be Star Wars Rogue Trader. It was spent with the downtime of me setting up encounters with reading from the critical table of Only War in homage. They also love the critical table in this game.

Also combat is legit deadly, which has me constantly tweaking encounters to avoid TPK. Still they like it especially when they use a thermal detonator to clear a room full of enemies with flame throwers or come up with other unique solutions.