Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Dewgy posted:

i did however buy my spongebob ukulele there, which with new strings sounds surprisingly nice for a cheap piece of plastic

Imagine how much tone it would have if it was made out of nitrocellulose...

E: That reminds me, I was having a conversation with a self-professed 'guitar expert' at a pub last week (he was like a nightmare mix between a blues-dad and high-functioning autism). He was ranting about Gibson using "loving paper mache" fretboards that sucked "all the sweetness from the strings", so I told him that some 60's Italian guitars had plastic fretboards, he said "Really??? Well..... Maybe that would work with nitro."

Later on he tried to sell me a lovely Encore Les Paul that was apparently made in the same factory as the Japanese Fenders in the 80's (it wasn't). He even offered to go and get it for me to look at.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

booshi posted:

Ugh Fender what are these, Ed Hardy guitars?

Fair Hallion posted:

those literally look like something from a "beginner's guitar package" from Toys r us

eg

Fender simply wants to cut in on that sweet 10 year old buying a guitar market.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Ugly guitar thread, please rate this in whatever fashion you choose (it isn't mine so don't count Faustus against it, please):

It's a Warmoth body and finish with a Warmoth neck, Texas Special single-coils and an Andy Timmons humbucker wired series/parallel to a push/pull pot. O, and locking tuners.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 14, 2015

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

Ugly guitar thread, please rate this in whatever fashion you choose (it isn't mine so don't count Faustus against it, please):

It's a Warmoth body and finish with a Warmoth neck, Texas Special single-coils and an Andy Timmons humbucker wired series/parallel to a push/pull pot. O, and locking tuners.

It's terrible, but at worst a misdemeanor against humanity

SeventhSeven
Jun 28, 2009
I like it.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I like how the top on a body costing a couple hundred looks to have been properly book matched, while Gibson and PRS charge several thousands of dollars and don't bother.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dr. Faustus posted:

wood good, hss bad, i like maple necks over rosewood (for looks)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

it's a little garish on its own yet not too bad (that's a lovely shade of orange), but it begs to be played by a guy wearing a tiger stripe tuxedo for maximum loudness

also i'm sure that bridge is nice but it's butt ugly imo

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
My local open mic scene seems to have turned into some hosed-up echo chamber (more than local open mics usually are).

First noticed it a few months ago where there was a trend starting for doing acoustic blues and old americana folk numbers. I went away for a few weeks and when I came back there were dozens of white British middle-class bluesmen in their early twenties, all singing old delta blues poo poo in horrible fake accents. It's loving awful. Blueskids.

They're nice guys mostly but it's turning into a loving minstrel show. I turned up in my old country and western shirt last week just to see how far we are going to take this. Got two people asking where I bought it. There is no bottom. Some dickshuffle used the phrase 'the Yorkshire Delta' with a straight face and I had to walk away.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Dr. Faustus posted:

It looks good.

Chalupa Joe posted:

I like how the top on a body costing a couple hundred looks to have been properly book matched, while Gibson and PRS charge several thousands of dollars and don't bother.

I actually wonder what happens to those guitars. I've seen plenty of the wonky matches in pictures for ads but I've never seen one actually show up in a collection.Do they just hang on a shop wall until the store goes out of business?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

darkwasthenight posted:

My local open mic scene seems to have turned into some hosed-up echo chamber (more than local open mics usually are).

First noticed it a few months ago where there was a trend starting for doing acoustic blues and old americana folk numbers. I went away for a few weeks and when I came back there were dozens of white British middle-class bluesmen in their early twenties, all singing old delta blues poo poo in horrible fake accents. It's loving awful. Blueskids.

They're nice guys mostly but it's turning into a loving minstrel show. I turned up in my old country and western shirt last week just to see how far we are going to take this. Got two people asking where I bought it. There is no bottom. Some dickshuffle used the phrase 'the Yorkshire Delta' with a straight face and I had to walk away.

Take the mic, announce that Robert Johonson was an over-rated hack that ripped off Son House and Leadbelly then enjoy the show. Bonus points if you bring an electric guitar with you and play "My Sharona".

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 14, 2015

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

ZombieParts posted:

I actually wonder what happens to those guitars. I've seen plenty of the wonky matches in pictures for ads but I've never seen one actually show up in a collection.Do they just hang on a shop wall until the store goes out of business?

They sell. PRS and Gibson don't select woods just for how they look, it's all about the tone (this is what people believe and endlessly try and lecture me about when I mention the wonky bookmatching). 80% of them just sit in the corner of a doctor/lawyer/architect's house anyway, so they don't get looked at/used much anyway.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Dewgy posted:

also i'm sure that bridge is nice but it's butt ugly imo

Can confirm that bridge is awesome.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

darkwasthenight posted:

the entirety of british popular music is built around ripping off black artists from america

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

the entirety of british popular music is built around ripping off black artists from america

This. This a million times over. Led Zepplin were amazing at this... I think they even stole the melody of 'Stairway to Heaven'. They made shitloads of money from ripping people off and I don't think they've given anything back to the original artists (although I could be wrong, they might have been sued a few years back).

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Clitch posted:

Can confirm that bridge is awesome.

i mean honestly i could tell by how solid it looks that it's a great bridge, it's just drat is that ever a function over form design, woof

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

White Dog Eggs posted:

They sell. PRS and Gibson don't select woods just for how they look, it's all about the tone (this is what people believe and endlessly try and lecture me about when I mention the wonky bookmatching). 80% of them just sit in the corner of a doctor/lawyer/architect's house anyway, so they don't get looked at/used much anyway.

One does not just hear tone, one has to feel it in the slow and methodical selection of wood. Each piece is lovingly tested with tuning forks double backed by woodpeckers trained in the art of density testing. Then a master tonesmith smells each sample to make sure the tone will be held in properly.

guy at factory randomly shoves two slabs together and throws them on a pallet for glueing/routing

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Dr. Faustus posted:

Looks okay, but I hate push/pull for splitting. I don't get why more people don't do what I do (on-off-on switch for selecting either single coil or full humbucker). Let's you select between in and out of phase and I love switches all over my poo poo.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

booshi posted:

I love switches all over my poo poo.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

I do. My CV Tele went from this:

to now this:

Which is nothing compared to my current project. It has 4 switches, 2 photocells, 5 linear soft pots, 1 rotary soft pot, and a light intensity -> square wave frequency converter.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i know im kind of late but bookmatching isn't necessarily indicative of quality and there's no point in throwing out a nice looking slab of expensive wood just cuz it doesn't line up perfectly

like do people really need to not be able to tell the top of their furniture guitar isn't made of multiple pieces

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

muike posted:

i know im kind of late but bookmatching isn't necessarily indicative of quality and there's no point in throwing out a nice looking slab of expensive wood just cuz it doesn't line up perfectly

like do people really need to not be able to tell the top of their furniture guitar isn't made of multiple pieces

I wouldn't worry about it on something cheaper, but really if you're going to ask the nearest thing to ten grand for a guitar, some work ought to be put into it.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

muike posted:

I agree, it has no affect on tone, it's purely looks and it kind of shows that they've paid attention to detail in the guitar's construction. Both of which do matter if you're dumb rich enough to pay Gibson/PRS prices.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
i just hate that flamey figured wood look no matter how it's matched. If the body has a nice simple wood grain under some kind of clear or tinted finish that's fine, but that super-textured fancy wood looks tacky and dated to me.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I'd love to have the choice of colours and fancy wood but I play left handed, so all of my guitars are black.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Chalupa Joe posted:

I'd love to have the choice of colours and fancy wood but I play left handed, so all of my guitars are black.

Saved from yourself

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

muike posted:

Well, that goes to what this thread tends to make fun of on them. In my opinion, yes, the matching needs to be carefully done and look as nice as possible at the price point premium guitar companies sell flame tops for.

When the major companies started releasing mismatched tops they made grandiose claims about this phenomenon being all about the tone of the wood selected in the process. Spergy players actually attributed the wonky-as-poo poo look as indicating the guitar had been constructed with pure tone in mind. I tend to think they had some kind of supply problem and ended up with cuts of wood that just didn't match at all. "How do we get rid of these?" and they came up with a sales pitch to unload some not so aesthetically pleasing matches. A little off is fine and might even look cool or go unnoticed. I remember one guitar in this thread where you didn't even have to click the thumbnail, it was just all hosed up looking like someone had messed wiith it in photoshop

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

darkwasthenight posted:

'the Yorkshire Delta'

burn it to the loving ground

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Chalupa Joe posted:

With a little bit of spray paint and a total lack of artistic sense you can easily emulate many of todays fine offerings.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Or buy a sticker

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

I think it would look better if it was continuous grain regardless if it was symmetrical or not. Why does it have to be two bookmatched pieces, why can't it just be one piece with a pretty grain pattern?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Not gonna lie, I'd totally get that flame pink one. It's just so disgustingly garish.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 15, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

RevusRangerous posted:

I think it would look better if it was continuous grain regardless if it was symmetrical or not. Why does it have to be two bookmatched pieces, why can't it just be one piece with a pretty grain pattern?

because maple tree trunks typically don't grow that big

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

all the renders except for the "appetite for destruction" one have emg style pickups, as if to say, "yes, we know you're in a terrible numetal band"

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Chalupa Joe posted:

Not gonna lie, I'd totally get that flame pink one. It's just so disgustingly garish.

I want to get some of those Japanese Ambition stickers so I can make a superstrat for my new band Anime Halen

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Lol somehow those stickers have worse book matching than Gibson.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Hollis Brownsound posted:

Lol somehow those stickers have worse book matching than Gibson.

They're just trying to look like a legit Gibson product.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
My biggest lol was how they named one of their series "FastCar" as if to skirt some licensing issue but then the blatant use of official trademarked logos all over the actual designs.

e: And double lol

quote:

The flamed maple decals are derived from one of the BEST flamed maple finishes we've ever seen. After many hours,we were able to recreate the flame pattern and get it as close as possible. In many ways, it's as good as any flamed top you'll see.

crashdome fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 15, 2015

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Dewgy posted:

tRu's entire music section would be at home in this thread

more than once i've been tempted by the Hello Kitty toy grand piano for that wonderful "being slammed on by a three year old" tone, but poo poo's like $80 or something

i did however buy my spongebob ukulele there, which with new strings sounds surprisingly nice for a cheap piece of plastic

I own one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-badtz-maru-bronco-electric-bass-guitar

A friend was getting rid of it since she discovered she wasn't as keen on playing bass as she thought, so I picked it up cheap and the small size makes it good for my small hands. Fun for playing around on at least. Needs a thumb rest, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

stillvisions posted:

Needs a thumb rest, however.

use the pickup (or the part of the neck that sticks up from the body) like everyone else

• Locked thread