Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

onefish posted:

Yeah, I think you won't be disappointed. I have pretty low patience with Bendis--don't even really like Powers, which a lot of people do--but he just clicked with this run. You picked up a real epic for, I'm pretty sure, the best price possible (other than reading it from the library or buying used trades or something). edit: also, awesome art, which is important!

I tend to like Bendis' indie stuff. I read the first trade of Powers and liked it and I am currently reading United States of Murder Inc and I like that too. His mainstream stuff has always left me disappointed, though Ive not read much of it. I am currently reading the Jason Aaron Thor series that was on sale for 1 dollar an issue recently and once I wrap that up I will move on to Daredevil. And then I will have a huge backlog of new stuff again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I tend to like Bendis' indie stuff. I read the first trade of Powers and liked it and I am currently reading United States of Murder Inc and I like that too. His mainstream stuff has always left me disappointed, though Ive not read much of it.

if you haven't read Torso, you should get on that. Torso and Daredevil are the two best Bendis comics, imo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if you haven't read Torso, you should get on that. Torso and Daredevil are the two best Bendis comics, imo.

Neither of those are Alias though? :confused:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Neither of those are Alias though? :confused:

Alias is pretty good.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Hmmm, Alias and Torso both look really cool. Never read either of them so I will check them out once I take care of my mammoth backlog.

edit - \/\/\/ nice

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 8, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Hmmm, Alias and Torso both look really cool. Never read either of them so I will check them out once I take care of my mammoth backlog.

Expect Alias to go on sale later this year when the show comes out.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Oh, the Trial of the Century arc got put up. Now I don't have a big glaring gap in the middle of the Bendis run

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I

bobkatt013 posted:

Expect Alias to go on sale later this year when the show comes out.
It's not on Comixology, so unless they decide to add the whole thing, I don't know if that will be the case. The Pulse is there, though, so they might stick with that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I

It's not on Comixology, so unless they decide to add the whole thing, I don't know if that will be the case. The Pulse is there, though, so they might stick with that.

Its not on yet

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Another great DD sale with Waid's first series and a bunch of $5 collections.
The only thing I wouldn't recommend there is the Smith/Quesada collection. I think it's an okayish arc but it's simply a notch below the rest.

While Miller and Bendis have become staples, I must stress that Waid's is great as well. I picked that bundle the last time it went on sale. That's when I realized it was the greatest current book I hadn't been reading. There's a lot of heart in this book.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
So as someone who knows nothing about DD other than "Blind Lawyer who fights crime" what run would be the best intro to the character? Go with the Bendis run or Waid's? Or both seeing as their Vol 1's are $5

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheHeadSage posted:

So as someone who knows nothing about DD other than "Blind Lawyer who fights crime" what run would be the best intro to the character? Go with the Bendis run or Waid's? Or both seeing as their Vol 1's are $5

Bendis is a great run and so is Waids. The Millar stuff is also great what the other runs build off of.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Get all of the discounted trades and see what you like.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Get all of the discounted trades and see what you like.

Do not bother with the Kevin Smith one.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Do not bother with the Kevin Smith one.

This. Everything else is differently awesome.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The Kevin Smith run isn't liked on SA, but a LOT of people do recommend it.
In a way it rehashes a lot of Daredevil ' stories from the 80's. Plus it has great Joe Quessada artwork.
It's also important in that two things happen in that run that are very important for Bendis ' s run.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Frank Miller DD sale.

Gonna pick up the rest after buying the collection.

Kinda annoying having the complete Miller split up between a trade and single issues but it's the cheapest.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Shame that it doesn't have all of Millers run as 191 is one of the best issues but what's up there is worth it.

And yeah the TPB collection's are the best offer. Don't know why you'd get Born Again in single issues when the exact same trade collection is cheaper and on sale.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Thinking about a Marvel subscription. My only wonder is if there's a WinRT app. I'm assuming not so I'm hoping the web reader is good?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Marvel Unlimited app just got updated for Android...and it has a working landscape mode. We may finally have a functional and quality app.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

gfanikf posted:

We may finally have a functional and quality app.
Woah there let's not say things we can't take back

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Syrinxx posted:

Woah there let's not say things we can't take back
:lol:
There are still some dialog cut offs that comes with scanning thousands of titles...but it really works in landscape now in guided and non guided mode. MU just became a hell of a lot better.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Irritated Goat posted:

Thinking about a Marvel subscription. My only wonder is if there's a WinRT app. I'm assuming not so I'm hoping the web reader is good?

I don't have an iPad or an Android tablet so I use the web reader predominantly. It's pretty much fine. It actually just got a handy update that gives you the option of jumping right into the next comic in the series when you finish the current one. Much better than it used to be. For some reason they removed the ability to see two panels at once (except when its a two panel spread, of course), which is weird but whatever.

The worst part of the MU experience is the inability to put a real curated list together. If you're just going through a series consecutively it works fine, if you're bouncing between books its completely useless. I just keep a separate browser window open with a bunch of tabs and its a bit of a mess.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Convergence-Week-2-Sale/page/6176?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Peter David's Aquaman (1994) #0-17
Batman: Shadow of the Bat #1-14
Catwoman (1993) #1-20
Superman: The Man of Steel (1991) #1-30
n' stuff

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Dynamite #1s bundle for free.
https://m.comixology.com/The-Dynamite-Mega-Bundle-Pt-1/bundle/911

141 item bundle for $7.
https://m.comixology.com/The-Dynamite-Mega-Bundle-Pt-2/bundle/914

(sorry for the mobile links)

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Was just going to post this myself, thinking of just grabbing the £5 bundle, anything in there that's either "download immediately " or conversely "don't waste HD space on it"?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I haven't read a lot of it. The one issue of Red Sonja I read was good enough to get me to buy a Red Sonja bundle (which I haven't gotten to). The Warriors comic kinda sucks. Jungle Girl is Frank Cho T&A, but I don't think he draws the interiors. Bob's Burgers is great if you like the show, probably confusing if you don't.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Red Sonja stuff is real good. Vampirella is at least interesting, considering you get Morrison, Millar, Ellis, Waid and Conner, among others working on it. And Django/Zorro's been very enjoyable.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Anime_Otaku posted:

Was just going to post this myself, thinking of just grabbing the £5 bundle, anything in there that's either "download immediately " or conversely "don't waste HD space on it"?

I enjoyed The Mocking Dead—it's not really a Walking Dead parody, but an actual zombie apocalypse mini that's done with some goofiness and humor due to the particular nature of the zombies, and complete in the five issues included. Fred Van Lente's a pretty solid writer, in my experience (thinking here of Archer & Armstrong).

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
That bundle made me remember I had already bought a few Wheel of Time issues on sale for some hardcore braid tugging action but never got around to reading them.

Still, it's a steal. It's like these Submit bundles every now and then where you're bound to discover some good books you wouldn't have read otherwise.

Speaking of which, I'm still hoping for these Humble Bundles to eventually get Comixology codes, like they do for Steam.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

Gaz-L posted:

Vampirella is at least interesting, considering you get Morrison, Millar, Ellis, Waid and Conner, among others working on it.
One of those is not like the others, but :stare: I don't think it ever occurred to me that that would be a writer-oriented title. Don't see it in the bundle, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Faustoan Bargain posted:

One of those is not like the others, but :stare: I don't think it ever occurred to me that that would be a writer-oriented title. Don't see it in the bundle, though.

Whoops! I didn't see the links were to Comixology. I thought we were talking about the BitTorrent bundle they're doing.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Something like 500 Star Wars comics just got added to Marvel Unlimited.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is it the Dark Horse stuff?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Looks like a broad slate, actually. Legacy is up there, the original Marvel run, even The Star Wars (the mini based off one of Lucas' early drafts).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Speaking of, free month of Unlimited with promo code STARWARS

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thank you! I had just quit before the new landscape update and was planning to signup once a coupon appeared.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Can't pass this up, thanks!

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Is there a way to get the free month to add to an existing sub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Casyl posted:

Is there a way to get the free month to add to an existing sub?

Doesn't look like it i'm afraid.