Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Startyde posted:

Just go modular and patch your money into a giant bottomless hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

wayfinder posted:

Well all that poo poo has been possible in Plogue Bidule and Buzz for going on 15 years, but they've never been mainstream or user friendly enough for it to matter. :)

I think Plogue Bidule's biggest hurdle is that it's called loving Plogue Bidule.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So Aira modules are going to be a thing I guess. Whatever.
http://www.roland.com/aira/

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The only thing I want out of that line is a cheap, mass produced case.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

net work error posted:

So Aira modules are going to be a thing I guess. Whatever.
http://www.roland.com/aira/

My System 100m is my favorite thing that I own. Nothing else sounds like it and it has the best workflow and interface of any modular ever. I really want to believe that they're going to do something cool, but I'm 100% certain that they've already found a way to louse this up.

It would be neat to see them actually make a filter module that would let you load many of their classic filters up - System 700, 100, 100m, etc.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

My System 100m is my favorite thing that I own. Nothing else sounds like it and it has the best workflow and interface of any modular ever. I really want to believe that they're going to do something cool, but I'm 100% certain that they've already found a way to louse this up.

It would be neat to see them actually make a filter module that would let you load many of their classic filters up - System 700, 100, 100m, etc.

It'll likely just be the AIRA guts with patchable parameters. If it's cheap enough and had midi in for easy polyphony and sequencing I could see it being fun, especially if they make it as a standalone box; no way I'd want to take up that much rack space for it right now. That's also assuming it costs less than the regular AIRA keyboard, which is a stretch.

The Eurorack pool is getting really crowded and we're not even close to Peak Module yet.

Still waiting for the Timbre Wolf module.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
ARIA Module predictions:

1) An oscillator featuring some kind of Plug Out mode so you can change what sound is inside
2) Envelope Gen/Gate/Trigger module cause nothing screams ARIA like ripping off the SH101
3) A Filter
4) Someone already made this for April Fools, but you can expect a Scatter module or something equally as laughable

Also offering a System-1 in Eurorack format, I can't figure out if that's completely genius or asinine.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, my wife's most annoying synth award has been handed to the Grendel Drone Commander. Wait until she hears what I do to the SK1.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

wayfinder posted:

Well all that poo poo has been possible in Plogue Bidule and Buzz for going on 15 years, but they've never been mainstream or user friendly enough for it to matter. :)

Yeah I dunno poo poo about Renoise but I am intimately familiar with FL. Comparing it to Bitwig is like comparing apples to being kicked in the dickhole.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Doepfer posted:

Because of the strong US$ compared to the Euro we have to increase our prices in April 2015 (about 5-10% according to the product). The reason is that many electronic parts are charged in US$ (e.g. potentiometers, switches, rotary knobs, integrated circuits, sockets, cables) and we are no longer able to compensate the exchange loss.

Thanks for the weak Euro heads-up, Goon. I think I owe you a drink of your choice.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

I took my Shared System & a tape recorder away to the country for the bank holiday and did a few things but this was the most coherent bit of the weekend: https://soundcloud.com/scatterfold/fynderne-cascade

Sitting outside in the evening with some whisky, eurocrack and a tape recorder is serious :gizz: territory imho

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Got a patchblock to mess around with. The crosstalk is a bit ridiculous, but it's a great little platform for experimentation. Now to see if I can find the limits of the CPU.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Doublepostin' for babby's most ridiculous flanger.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anybody have an opinion on the Dreadbox Erebus? It was recommended to me by a friend who barely used one. I'm liking the demos, but I've never heard of the company before.

On a related note, the reason he recommended the Erebus is because he was trying to talk me out of getting into Eurorack, which I'm okay with. The reason I wanted Eurorack, though, was I wanted something with tons of routing and modulation options, a physical interface that didn't require me to stare at a screen all the time, and very immediate programming. Is there anything else that kind of ticks those boxes? If it makes a difference, I'll be using it more for creating sound effects for video games or just killing time than I will ever be using it for something resembling music.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Can anyone explain why my ES-4 won't play notes below C2? Should I just be tuning up an extra 2 octaves?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Approx what frequency is it putting out at C2? is it, like, 16hz? Or is it 65hz?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
So the potential specs on the JD-Xa just got leaked.

Looks like 4 analogue voices have been confirmed, 64 digital voices but it's the full supernatural engine and not just the PCM sounds on the Xi and unlike the Xi you can put the digital stuff through the analogue filters.

The price looks to be about $1800 so now I get to have fun choosing this or the Pro 2.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

MockingQuantum posted:

Anybody have an opinion on the Dreadbox Erebus? It was recommended to me by a friend who barely used one. I'm liking the demos, but I've never heard of the company before.

On a related note, the reason he recommended the Erebus is because he was trying to talk me out of getting into Eurorack, which I'm okay with. The reason I wanted Eurorack, though, was I wanted something with tons of routing and modulation options, a physical interface that didn't require me to stare at a screen all the time, and very immediate programming. Is there anything else that kind of ticks those boxes? If it makes a difference, I'll be using it more for creating sound effects for video games or just killing time than I will ever be using it for something resembling music.

I'm really just getting started with all this nonsense, but I played around with an Erebus the other week, and was really impressed. The build quality is solid, the paraphony seems like a neat trick, and the echo especially gives you some really cool sounds. I ended up buying a Microbrute instead, since I don't even have a MIDI controller yet, so I'm probably not quite there yet, but the Erebus was really tempting.

That said, what about the Microbrute? It has a similar degree of patchability and is very knobby.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Need some opinions here. I'm looking to create some late 70's/early 80's style soundtrack work.

I've found an ESQ-1 creates some of the best mid-80's sound. However, I'm looking for something even a little earlier. I'm kinda debating between something Moog or grabbing something from their early Yamaha CS line.

I'm thinking of a Moog Sub 37 because (from what I've heard) it can sound both modern and retro and seems like an all around useful synth. However I know with going straight up vintage, although harder to work with it, it will probably do exactly what I want.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
We gotta start putting quotes around the work "leak" any time it has anything to do with synthesizers.

Anyway, if that JD-XA ends up meeting its current promises at release, it might be the one piece of gear that I'll actually buy new furniture and re-arrange my setup for. I don't have a place to put a keyboard without rearranging so I've been strictly on desktop and rack synths. But that thing...

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Radiapathy posted:

We gotta start putting quotes around the work "leak" any time it has anything to do with synthesizers.

Anyway, if that JD-XA ends up meeting its current promises at release, it might be the one piece of gear that I'll actually buy new furniture and re-arrange my setup for. I don't have a place to put a keyboard without rearranging so I've been strictly on desktop and rack synths. But that thing...

I've already made room for either the XA or Pro2, and the official release next weekend along with user reviews when they're up is now the deciding factor since to me if those specs are real it's an even 50/50 split between the two.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

The Cleaner posted:

Need some opinions here. I'm looking to create some late 70's/early 80's style soundtrack work.

I've found an ESQ-1 creates some of the best mid-80's sound. However, I'm looking for something even a little earlier. I'm kinda debating between something Moog or grabbing something from their early Yamaha CS line.

I'm thinking of a Moog Sub 37 because (from what I've heard) it can sound both modern and retro and seems like an all around useful synth. However I know with going straight up vintage, although harder to work with it, it will probably do exactly what I want.

I'll do this without going TLDR, but that era of synth film soundtrack is actually the culmination of not just the gear but recording onto analog tape, then that tape going through multiple generations as part of film editing, and then finally ending up as the optical track along the film. So that's how you end up with something as digital as Brad Fiedels' Terminator score sounding so analog and gritty and weird even though it was coming out of a Synclavier.

But maybe post some examples of what you're going for and we can help? The Moog Sub 37 does sound great.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

magiccarpet posted:

Can anyone explain why my ES-4 won't play notes below C2? Should I just be tuning up an extra 2 octaves?

All of my gear reacts different to MIDI under C-2. Some goes to 1, some to zero. The MIDI to CV on my modular loops back around after C-2, and starts playing down from C-8 the lower you go.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

toadee posted:

All of my gear reacts different to MIDI under C-2. Some goes to 1, some to zero. The MIDI to CV on my modular loops back around after C-2, and starts playing down from C-8 the lower you go.

Yeah thats what happens when I set the Min/Max to 0/127. Standard its 48/127 I believe.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I'll do this without going TLDR, but that era of synth film soundtrack is actually the culmination of not just the gear but recording onto analog tape, then that tape going through multiple generations as part of film editing, and then finally ending up as the optical track along the film. So that's how you end up with something as digital as Brad Fiedels' Terminator score sounding so analog and gritty and weird even though it was coming out of a Synclavier.

But maybe post some examples of what you're going for and we can help? The Moog Sub 37 does sound great.

Yes I'm aware of the tape (both 2-Inch and also VCR) degradation effects. I've got some Wow & Flutter plug-in effects, along a Zvex Lowfi-Junkie pedal (which can make an Access Virus sound like you bought it at a flea market covered in dust) spliced with some fake tape hiss.

This is the last thing I recorded in that style, using mostly modular gear with some DSI synths and SQ-8l. I posted it here last year and got pretty good response so I think I've got the 80's degraded soundtrack style down....

http://studiobythecemetery.bandcamp.com/

...I'm also aware that most late 70's soundtracks were not just synths but + organs + Mellotron. However when I listen to stuff like Goblin I can really hear what I've been told is a Minimoog at times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpAAQrJ93w8

...and then I see gear demos like this CS-10 and am shocked at how retro it sounds, especially compared to like say a Minibrute:

https://youtu.be/1qjhrAjnhcM

...I also really dug the Beyond The Black Rainbow soundtrack and was told a Moog was used for alot of the bass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLCqXbPOroU

So I'm left here either trying to get my modern synths and plugins to sound like retro old ones (which gets like 70% of the way but usually sounds too perfect) or buy a Sub 37 and see how close it can go... also I just found some guy selling a CS-10 in my city which doesn't help.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

If you have Kontakt, Monark is a cheap way to establish a nice Moog sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVl9EW5uN3A

I love that ZVex pedal. I run an MS-2000 through it for some really interesting pads.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

magiccarpet posted:

If you have Kontakt, Monark is a cheap way to establish a nice Moog sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVl9EW5uN3A

I love that ZVex pedal. I run an MS-2000 through it for some really interesting pads.

You mean Reaktor, right?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

You mean Reaktor, right?

Right right. NI makes a lot of poo poo.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Reaktor's not a cheap or nice way to get any sounds.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Sizone posted:

Reaktor's not a cheap or nice way to get any sounds.

I disagree. For the price you get a metric fuckton of synths and effects from the user library.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Oldstench posted:

I disagree. For the price you get a metric fuckton of synths and effects from the user library.

Yeah, even if you never have any intention of messing around with creating your own synth or effects the amount of user made ones covers so much poo poo it's still worth the price, especially if you can pick it up on a 1/2 off sale.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What's a good drive pedal to pair with synths?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
What ever one you build yourself. You can make a cd4049 distortion for, like, less than 10$ in parts.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
My friend's Boomstar was finally delivered after 4 months while we were working on new music so you can imagine how awesome that was. Except it wouldn't turn on :doh:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Speaking of descents into madness, someone in EU buy this so I don't decide to start looking at freight pricing.
Also FLX is going to messe but we're not cool enough social media to be let in on it, harass him for booth video requests.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

The Cleaner posted:

Yes I'm aware of the tape (both 2-Inch and also VCR) degradation effects. I've got some Wow & Flutter plug-in effects, along a Zvex Lowfi-Junkie pedal (which can make an Access Virus sound like you bought it at a flea market covered in dust) spliced with some fake tape hiss.

This is the last thing I recorded in that style, using mostly modular gear with some DSI synths and SQ-8l. I posted it here last year and got pretty good response so I think I've got the 80's degraded soundtrack style down....

http://studiobythecemetery.bandcamp.com/

...I'm also aware that most late 70's soundtracks were not just synths but + organs + Mellotron. However when I listen to stuff like Goblin I can really hear what I've been told is a Minimoog at times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpAAQrJ93w8

...and then I see gear demos like this CS-10 and am shocked at how retro it sounds, especially compared to like say a Minibrute:

https://youtu.be/1qjhrAjnhcM

...I also really dug the Beyond The Black Rainbow soundtrack and was told a Moog was used for alot of the bass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLCqXbPOroU

So I'm left here either trying to get my modern synths and plugins to sound like retro old ones (which gets like 70% of the way but usually sounds too perfect) or buy a Sub 37 and see how close it can go... also I just found some guy selling a CS-10 in my city which doesn't help.

Oh, gotcha! It sounds like you already know all of that stuff that gives "film synth" such a different vibe. But yeah, if you're looking for that "seventies" sound, DSI stuff and the Minibrute are not really going to do it. They're very clean, modern, precise-sounding synths, and you want something that's way less precise and clean across the board. All Yamaha CS-series will get you there for sure, any Roland prior to '83 or so (check out the SH-09 or SH-2, they're still affordable and have that "brown sound" in spades). The Arp Odyssey reissue. Older Moog stuff (even the Rogue or Prodigy).

The Sub 37 sounds amazing - it's probably the best synth on the market right now. It may be what you're looking for.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I don't have a problem I don't have a problem I don't have a problem I don't have a problem I don't have a problem

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah but you will real soon unless you got renters insurance :captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
Now you have a problem