Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

RZA Encryption posted:

Why would you get anything buy the Nexus 6? Official support from google.

My Galaxy Nexus had official support from Google, and it was a piss-poor phone after the first six months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Couple reviews out there for the Zenfone 2 as of today. Reviews are positive for the most part, some knocks on battery life but looking pretty solid for the price. Phone posting so I don't have links, but GSM Arena and I believe Android Authority have full reviews up now.

Edit: Still no US release date

This is the first one I've seen that's not just some goofy youtube user:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_vttBfgt04

Overall pretty good with some of the same issues that people who've imported have mentioned, namely that the power button is hard to reach and also to press and that the battery life is poor due to some software issues.

Asus apparently has delayed sending out their review units to the 30 people that were chosen by Android Central. Next week at the earliest :(

Edit: Here's another one: http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_2_ze551ml-review-1240.php

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 14, 2015

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've been having a weird problem with Hangouts since switching to a Moto X.

Sometimes, when I click on the notification for a new message, it takes me to that conversation, but WAY back in time...like, two weeks ago, and I have to scroll way the gently caress down to the actual new message.

Anyone else have this problem?

It's not every time, maybe half the time...and only when going to the conversation via the notification. If I click on the Hangouts icon, it will always load up the last message in the conversation.

Just back out to the conversation list and then tap the conversation again; it'll take you to the bottom.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

RZA Encryption posted:

Why would you get anything buy the Nexus 6? Official support from google.

I would have bought a Nexus 6 but Google won't upgrade the software to match the Xperia Z3's battery life or camera or SD card support or waterproofing, no matter how many angry emails I send.

Maybe XDA can fix these Nexus 6 shortcomings.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I've been using the Nexus 6 that I bought for my husband to see if I could get used to such a big phone before I decide if I want one for myself. I'm short and have hands that are even smaller than average for a girl, so I thought the Nexus 6 would definitely be way too big for me. Surprisingly, it's been mostly manageable so far. I kinda laugh every time I get a new phone, because I always think back to how all my friends used to make fun of how HUGE my first phone (Palm Treo 650) was.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 14, 2015

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Inspect Your Gadgets › The Android Thread - You Look Like You're Holding a Cookie Sheet Against Your Face

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Some of us don't want huge phones sticking out of our pants pockets, rubbing against our studded belts.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Didn't see a better thread to ask this in.

When I'm playing music, it will stop a minute or two after my screen locks. I googled the hell out of this, and the consensus seems to be excluding both the music player and the gallery app from your task killer. I did so, and it didn't help. In frustration, I excluded every app from the task killer, and it still didn't help. I'd just uninstall the task killer, but it's a system app and my phone isn't rooted (yet, waiting on bootloader unlock code). The only other advice out there is to turn off screen lock, but that kills my battery pretty quick so it's a no-go. This is really frustrating, it basically ruins half the reasons I bought this phone (make phone calls and listen to music at work).

My phone is an AT&T Go Phone, a Huawei Y536A1. Does anyone have any advice?

e. Music is located on my SD card. Maybe the phone is putting the SD card into some kind of standby mode on screen lock? If it is, is there a way to disable that?

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 15, 2015

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Zom Aur posted:

Looks like it counts system storage as "misc". Your apps combined with "system memory" is about 12GB. Everything else should be able to be moved to the SD-card regardless.

A quick google says the Audible folder can be moved to the SD-card manually and the app will still see it just fine, but apparently you can't do it through the app itself. Moving stuff around manually seems just tedious though.

Cool, thanks, I'll try that.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The width. The width of the Nexus 6 was the most awkward thing to me. The height was fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rndmnmbr posted:

When I'm playing music, it will stop a minute or two after my screen locks. I googled the hell out of this, and the consensus seems to be excluding both the music player and the gallery app from your task killer. I did so, and it didn't help. In frustration, I excluded every app from the task killer, and it still didn't help. I'd just uninstall the task killer, but it's a system app and my phone isn't rooted (yet, waiting on bootloader unlock code). The only other advice out there is to turn off screen lock, but that kills my battery pretty quick so it's a no-go. This is really frustrating, it basically ruins half the reasons I bought this phone (make phone calls and listen to music at work).

e. Music is located on my SD card. Maybe the phone is putting the SD card into some kind of standby mode on screen lock? If it is, is there a way to disable that?
Can't you disable the task killer, at least?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I have a Droid Turbo, and recently every time I make or receive a phone call, I'm getting an error of contacts has stopped. I can just hit OK and continue on just fine, but what the hell? Anyone else having that? I read that clearing the contact app cache and data fixes it, but it sure didn't.

edit: and just tried making a call and it didn't happen. Maybe online on incoming calls?

fake edit 2: nope. Apparently just happens at random. Android'd.

OMGMYSPLEEN fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 15, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

nmfree posted:

Inspect Your Gadgets › The Android Thread - You Look Like You're Holding a Cookie Sheet Against Your Face

I release the copyright on my post for this usage.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Just copped a stainless steel Moto 360 watch for $130 brand new at Best Buy using their promotion. Basically, bought a $30 Net10 prepaid phone with Android on it and they should knock $100 off the sale price of any 360 watch.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712664

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Can't you disable the task killer, at least?

Nope. Multiple "app freezer" apps demand root to touch it. In app management, I can force stop, but it will wind up restarting itself. Disable is grayed out.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

rndmnmbr posted:

Android really likes to kick poo poo out of memory. The less memory you have, the worse it gets. Uninstalling everything else with a running process that eats ram would mitigate the problem, but still wouldn't completely eliminate it, and is a bit of a drastic solution. When you get root, try installing an xposed addition called App Settings, and click the box that says "keep resident" for your media player app. Down side to doing that is, if the system runs out of RAM, it'll just crash and reboot.

So, your options suck. Get a new phone, or get the best dedicated media player you can afford. A Sansa Clip will run you about $40 on Ebay. You can also see what Swappa has in the way of super cheap phones.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

rndmnmbr posted:

What does a 2013 Moto G or Moto E cost you, and what did that phone cost? If it isn't much difference, you'll have fewer headaches with either Moto. Even a Lumia 520 would probably give you fewer headaches, and those are dirt cheap.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't know that I would recommend the E. I gave up on a 2013 G because it kept kicking things out of memory. 1 gig may not be enough anymore.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

I don't know that I would recommend the E. I gave up on a 2013 G because it kept kicking things out of memory.

Did it have a task killer you couldn't uninstall that would kick music out of memory when it was simply playing music with the screen off? Seems like even the E would be a much better option than that Huawei (1 GB ram, 1.6 GB internal storage available to user out of the box, 4.5" 854x480 display, not stock software, etc).

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

RVProfootballer posted:

Did it have a task killer you couldn't uninstall that would kick music out of memory when it was simply playing music with the screen off? Seems like even the E would be a much better option than that Huawei (1 GB ram, 1.6 GB internal storage available to user out of the box, 4.5" 854x480 display, not stock software, etc).

I'm actually a fan Huawei and I agree 100% here. We don't get many of their good brands and if you aren't getting an Ascend Mate 2, I'd stick with Moto

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
This maybe a question for the Verizon thread, but I've been seriously looking at the Droid Turbo and Z3V. I know some people like one over the other but what is the phone with the best battery life and best onboard speakers? Finally ditching Sprint next week so looking for something to best fit my needs. Camera isn't much of a issue and anything that can run on 5.1 (once they get it sorted out)

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

ninmeister posted:

I have a Droid Turbo, and recently every time I make or receive a phone call, I'm getting an error of contacts has stopped. I can just hit OK and continue on just fine, but what the hell? Anyone else having that? I read that clearing the contact app cache and data fixes it, but it sure didn't.

edit: and just tried making a call and it didn't happen. Maybe online on incoming calls?

I've gotten this multiple times before on my Turbo as well but it doesn't seem to really affect anything very much. I guess the process just restarts itself.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

GopherFlats posted:

This maybe a question for the Verizon thread, but I've been seriously looking at the Droid Turbo and Z3V. I know some people like one over the other but what is the phone with the best battery life and best onboard speakers? Finally ditching Sprint next week so looking for something to best fit my needs. Camera isn't much of a issue and anything that can run on 5.1 (once they get it sorted out)

Turbo for sure. The Z3v is actually a Z2 variant, not a Z3 variant like you'd expect.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

ninmeister posted:

This was happening on my wife's galaxy s5 and a random Google result had some people saying to disable google+ app. Since disabling it, it hasn't happened to her again. This was about a month ago. Worth a try?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

rotaryfun posted:

This was happening on my wife's galaxy s5 and a random Google result had some people saying to disable google+ app. Since disabling it, it hasn't happened to her again. This was about a month ago. Worth a try?

Oooh could be, maybe it has to do with contact photos synced to it? I use Google + though, so if that's it I'll just deal with it. Thanks!

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Droid Turbo question #2: battery meter seems semi hosed. It beeped at me saying it was at 12%. At 8%, it just said said powering down like it was totally dead. When put on charge with it off, it was still at 8%. What the gently caress phone.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ninmeister posted:

Droid Turbo question #2: battery meter seems semi hosed. It beeped at me saying it was at 12%. At 8%, it just said said powering down like it was totally dead. When put on charge with it off, it was still at 8%. What the gently caress phone.

Mine usually goes dead around 5-8% too

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

What does a 2013 Moto G or Moto E cost you, and what did that phone cost? If it isn't much difference, you'll have fewer headaches with either Moto. Even a Lumia 520 would probably give you fewer headaches, and those are dirt cheap.

It was, unfortunately, the right phone at the right time at the right price - my old-assed LG blackberry knockoff picked the exact wrong time to die, and there this phone was, promising to do everything I needed it to do for basically all the money I had to spare. I'm a perpetually broke gently caress, and it's way too late to return it, so I'm pretty much stuck for it.

drat.

I dug out my ancient 2gb MP3 player (PlaysForSure ahahaha holy poo poo this thing is old), and I guess I'll just make do. It's hardly the first time I got screwed on features because I needed a phone nownownow and my choices for retailers was whoever stood between me and my eventual destination.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

G3 finally got the 5.0.1 update on T-Mobile today, I like basically everything about the update except that the Google music app is now slow. Music plays at the right speed, but there is lag when scrolling around while music is playing. Anything I could do to reset that?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For those who care, the 5.1 Nexus 4 image is up on the developers site.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hooah posted:

For those who care, the 5.1 Nexus 4 image is up on the developers site.

So is the Nexus 7 2013 (even the LTE version!.)

All the Nexi have their 5.1 updates, except the N9.

The build for the 4 and the 7 is LMY47O, so it's possible the others could get updated to a newer 5.1 build sometime soon.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

this_is_hard posted:

Mine usually goes dead around 5-8% too

Do you use Qi charging at all? I've been reading that some people seem to see a problem with their battery meter while using it. I do occasionally.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ninmeister posted:

Do you use Qi charging at all? I've been reading that some people seem to see a problem with their battery meter while using it. I do occasionally.

occasionally, I usually use turbo charging much more frequently though. i've heard from a bunch of people that their turbo dies at 5-10% though

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

KS posted:

CEO wants an android phone. I don't know what to recommend. It would be on either AT&T or Verizon. My last two phones have been the 2013 Moto X, which I loved, and the 2014 Moto X, which has been a buggy piece of poo poo on Lollipop. The voice activation activates randomly 1-2x/day and it reboots in my pocket at least once a week.

He's barely ever around and it needs to be trouble free. Do I get him a Droid Maxx or is there something newer and better?

Get him Note 4 with Montblanc cover and pen.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

MikusR posted:

Get him Note 4 with Montblanc cover and pen.

This would be my recommendation as well. It is the most "executive" Android phone.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The USC Note 4 finally got the Lollipop update last night. It's... not that different. Aside from lockscreen notifications and the color-changing notification shade, I haven't found much of anything that changed. I guess ART is there now. It seems like Samsung's implementation of 4.4 already did most of what they added in AOSP lollipop.

Any other Note 4 owners have cool tips on stuff I'm missing?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The USC Note 4 finally got the Lollipop update last night. It's... not that different. Aside from lockscreen notifications and the color-changing notification shade, I haven't found much of anything that changed. I guess ART is there now. It seems like Samsung's implementation of 4.4 already did most of what they added in AOSP lollipop.

Any other Note 4 owners have cool tips on stuff I'm missing?

Check for Smart Lock.

ART used to be pretty horrible on Touchwiz KitKat because it would recompile 30-40 apps every single time you boot up the phone.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
I've got an extra Moto X discount code if anyone wants it: SELFIE-EZUV-HKQU-SRUQ-3ZU4. My friend was gonna use it but he decided he wants an S6 instead.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Any in here used a Huawei phone before? I'm wondering how bad their software customizations are. Been slowly searching for a replacement for my beat up N5 and the P8 they just announced looks really interesting. Love the size and the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ruby idiot railed posted:

Check for Smart Lock.

ART used to be pretty horrible on Touchwiz KitKat because it would recompile 30-40 apps every single time you boot up the phone.

Smart lock is actually not useful to me because all my trusted wifi credentials are wiped automatically if the pin is disabled.