Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CrashCat posted:

i hear they also took out the keytar? hosed up, that was my jam

granted i still can't manage anything harder than medium but at least I have my pick of almost everything with that

Rock band had the key tar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Rock band had the key tar.
Oh the post you replied to said Rock Band and ah whatever

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CrashCat posted:

Oh the post you replied to said Rock Band and ah whatever

He meant that he hopes the new rock band won't suck hard like the new gh. And rock band isn't changing up its gameplay/controllers.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

A Spider Covets posted:

what did the bad nerds say to you

They really wanted everyone out of the store. Moment I walked in there was a dude in a Naruto shirt saying Call of duty is right over there hands me the game and tells me to head to the register. I say I don't want call of Duty he then grabs assassins creed, I say I don't want this either. And Fat rear end there is blocking the way. Fat rear end number 2 is walking around wearing a mario cap while I see fat rear end 3 and 4 obscuring a wall of amiibos and what turned out to be a center rack of amiibos. Arms crossed with a dead pan serious look on their faces. Anyways Fat Guy in a mario cap is scrolling through his phone and fat guy in the naruto shirt starts making these faux SWAT hand gestures because I apparently breached their perimeter. Another guy is yelling on the phone yelling at his mother to come down here because he doesn't have enough money for the amiibos and that's when I put everything together that a bunch of spergs commandeered a Funcoland for their plastic toys somehow.

Mario cap fat dude was not chill at all. He thought I was some sort of spy for scalpers because I did not look like the gamer type at all according to his expert opinion among all his other opinions.

But 11 games made the trainwreck of humanity was just a cherry on top. Because the store selling Castlevania SOTN for 5 bucks with 2 other games was too good a deal to pass up, and Contra is in there too.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 14, 2015

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Taint Reaper posted:

They really wanted everyone out of the store. Moment I walked in there was a dude in a Naruto shirt saying Call of duty is right over there hands me the game and tells me to head to the register. I say I don't want call of Duty he then grabs assassins creed, I say I don't want this either. And Fat rear end there is blocking the way. Fat rear end number 2 is walking around wearing a mario cap while I see fat rear end 3 and 4 obscuring a wall of amiibos and what turned out to be a center rack of amiibos. Arms crossed with a dead pan serious look on their faces. Anyways Fat Guy in a mario cap is scrolling through his phone and fat guy in the naruto shirt starts making these faux SWAT hand gestures because I apparently breached their perimeter. Another guy is yelling on the phone yelling at his mother to come down here because he doesn't have enough money for the amiibos and that's when I put everything together that a bunch of spergs commandeered a Funcoland for their plastic toys somehow.

Mario cap fat dude was not chill at all. He thought I was some sort of spy for scalpers because I did not look like the gamer type at all according to his expert opinion among all his other opinions.

But 11 games made the trainwreck of humanity was just a cherry on top. Because the store selling Castlevania SOTN for 5 bucks with 2 other games was too good a deal to pass up, and Contra is in there too.

Please sketch out their movements like a football coach would on a white board. I want to see it. Bonus if you animate and narrate it too.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

but how fat were they. taint reaper, how fat were they. reap what you sew.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

A Spider Covets posted:

but how fat were they. taint reaper, how fat were they. reap what you sew.

Husky enough to be a sled team.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Can we crosspost it into stdh.txt when you're done

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

CrashCat posted:

Can we crosspost it into stdh.txt when you're done
I was expecting the whole thing to end like the phantom tollbooth, but no I got to my car and I indeed did purchase two videogames from a store full of nutcases.

Not as bad as that one Transformer collector who runs his own store just to showcase his collection and marks up everything 500% though. His dad is there like 80% of the time and they never seem to sell anything.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Really enjoying gtav pc version

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Accordion Man posted:

Man IF would totally be up my alley because I honestly do think games can have good storytelling and enjoy the hell out of the ones that strive for it, but I just despise text parsers.

Good news, a lot of modern IF completely does away with text input. Check out Emily Short's "Bee":

http://varytale.com/books/book/short-bee/

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

The Taint Reaper posted:

I was expecting the whole thing to end like the phantom tollbooth, but no I got to my car and I indeed did purchase two videogames from a store full of nutcases.

Not as bad as that one Transformer collector who runs his own store just to showcase his collection and marks up everything 500% though. His dad is there like 80% of the time and they never seem to sell anything.

There was this used game store that I had been going to since I was 5, I don't know if it switched hands or what but it was pretty much exactly the same about 20 years later, including an incredible collection of NES and Atari games and poo poo. I asked the dude how much the top-loading NES in a display case with a bunch of other stuff for sale was and he gave me a disgusted look and said "That's part of my personal collection, it's not for sale" and then when I asked for a copy of Duck Tales for the NES he said "That game costs $25" and didn't bother reaching for it, as if he didn't expect anyone would actually pay $25 for an NES game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

there's apparently a new age of empires ii expansion coming out
Postal 2 is getting one too after more than a decade. I bought it yesterday because its a buck on Steam and I had card money. It's good and its funny because I'm playing a pacifist run so its a normal guy trying to live a normal life while crazy poo poo's going on around him.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Adam Bowen posted:

There was this used game store that I had been going to since I was 5, I don't know if it switched hands or what but it was pretty much exactly the same about 20 years later, including an incredible collection of NES and Atari games and poo poo. I asked the dude how much the top-loading NES in a display case with a bunch of other stuff for sale was and he gave me a disgusted look and said "That's part of my personal collection, it's not for sale" and then when I asked for a copy of Duck Tales for the NES he said "That game costs $25" and didn't bother reaching for it, as if he didn't expect anyone would actually pay $25 for an NES game.

Most retro stores I know of have lists or some poo poo where they call preferred customers on a list first since they have a list of what these people want and what they will pay for. So all the good stuff never really hits the floor.

I really can't say that I have found a retro store that I have actually liked because yeah everything is over priced. They only seem good for deals on last generations games before they become too rare. Like I found Primal for 2 bucks.

But I'm always looking for spare game cases but none of these places keep those either. So again I have to get stuff online like if I want some blank genesis cases, gamecube cases, DS cases, or PS2 cases. Also none of them will take just instruction booklets or anything so if you're missing a booklet they won't even let you purchase a booklet out of an already open game or parcel stuff out.

Hell one store I know of takes disc only/cart only games and prints up perfect replica covers and sells them as complete. I squezzed their register girl for information on what they use because she was printing up a whole slew of cases and booklets.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 14, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

A Spider Covets posted:

following the angry birds theme, i think there should be a thread about birds in games, comparing their AI and textures and stuff to see which one is the best.

My favorite gaming birds were the ones in Rogue Squadron Episode One: Battle for Naboo because due to fuckery with the game's engine they counted as enemy units so you could pad out your score by shooting them down and when you did they would burst into flames and explode.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Adam Bowen posted:

Holy poo poo, it's the real life version of the Comic Book guy from the Simpsons.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

The Taint Reaper posted:

lol at actually handing u call of duty

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Wamdoodle posted:

Holy poo poo, it's the real life version of the Comic Book guy from the Simpsons.
What made the simpsons originally charming and endearing was that they were based off of real people.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

precision posted:

I was gonna make another Interactive Fiction thread when the annual competition ended last year but still haven't done it :effort:

lets mae a gamebook thread

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
has anyone mentioned how loving douchy that new guitar hero teaser was??

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Wamdoodle posted:

If you think about it, GameStop is a microcosm of the entire games industry: a place that's terrible to work at and requires a lot more stress and personal involvement than most comparable jobs in the same field, so the people it attracts are uniformly awful because any sane and competent person can get better pay for less work elsewhere.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I worked at a Gamestop in highschool, it was incredibly boring because the store didn't get much business so I'd just spend a bunch of time organizing shelves and trying to look busy, and about half the customers were way grosser and more annoying than anybody who worked there, except me, of course, because I'm disgusting

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
All I know is Gamestop was created in 1999 and they started to suck after they discontinued carrying the 16 bit systems and it really became bad once they stopped carrying the PS1 and N64.

then they merged Babbages, EB and Funco all into a single thing. The Stores have way less variety to them since all they carry are the most current systems with some backlog.

But even now they're clearing out the xbox 360 section because Microsoft has become a toxic thing to carry and nobody is buying it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

corn in the bible posted:

lets mae a gamebook thread

gamebooks own and i'm glad they're making a comeback

reminder that Sorcery! 3 comes out on Android in less than a week

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i want a physical store that sells old pc games and used poo poo that isnt amazon because its marked up garbage from users or stores that apparently dont want to sell anything... thanks

the epic store GameCraze does not sell pc games despite stocking every other system and game in existence... and im pissed!!!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Good story taint reaper, I could smell the sweat on fat Mario, very vivid.

I'll go into the small retro shops to look at their collections and reminisce about old games but since I don't collect, there isn't much to buy there. A one near me even has some Atari/2600 stuff at a not-terrible price, it's neat to thumb through. The clientele is grodier than the 30 year old games however.

EBgames on the other hand is a loving wasteland. They don't carry much of anything useful new or old on the average day and just bank on selling out new releases in the loving age of Amazon and digital distribution.

A Spider Covets posted:

i dont like the shades in pillars of eternity, they are gay.

Yes, gently caress them. I just got through the lighthouse and it was unfun poo poo. I feel like there has to be some trick to killing them quicker than just going after the summoners, because that is already a pain.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 15, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i want a physical store that sells old pc games and used poo poo that isnt amazon because its marked up garbage from users or stores that apparently dont want to sell anything... thanks

This, no way in poo poo am I paying 90 dollars for a copy of Maniac Mansion.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

men when I was dozing off last night I remembered how good the SP campaign of Timesplitters 2 was.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

This, no way in poo poo am I paying 90 dollars for a copy of Maniac Mansion.

You can supposedly just play that in a browser now, although every time I've tried, the mouse is too broken to work.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

You can always :filez: the thing and run it in SCUMM.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Taint Reaper posted:

naruto is good

video games, though, yeah those aren't good

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You can also wait until it comes out on GOG.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there a thread on Stardrive out there? I was watching some videos on it, and wanted thoughts on how it is.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there a thread on Stardrive out there? I was watching some videos on it, and wanted thoughts on how it is.

don't think i've seen one but this is like the general video game chat thread so it's a perfectly fine place to ask about a game you're interested in

unfortunately i've never heard of it though, what is it?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

A Spider Covets posted:

don't think i've seen one but this is like the general video game chat thread so it's a perfectly fine place to ask about a game you're interested in

unfortunately i've never heard of it though, what is it?

Cross posting from the Steam thread

The dev is an rear end in a top hat who abandoned his first game and left it in a terrible unfinished and buggy state whIle trying to stifle all criticism and play the victim.

The sequel is getting decent reviews though. It still lacks MP that was initially promised as a post release feature for the first game and then a launch feature for the sequel

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
there was a thread during stardrive 1's release, it's in archives. i remember it getting pretty vitriolic when people realized the game was hot garbage. if he actually managed to get done in 2 what he set out to do in 1, it could be good.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

stardrive 1 was a really good cad program and poo poo at everything else

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Gamestop is going to be selling all the old as poo poo consoles and games again online.

Expect Gray market stuff according to the retro store guys I talked to, this apparently has them concerned because while it's all online gamestop has the biggest pockets so they can swoop in and purchase the motherload.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I've only put a couple hours in. Ship customization is really complex. Especially given that the real time combat seems kinda hard to actually influence. The ships have their own AI and such. Race customization and the tech system/tech is ripped directly from MOO2. I mean directly, one-to-one analogue, borderline legally actionable ripped.

I'd definitely be curious on other people's thoughts or a thread to talk about it in (found this by searching 'stardrive' to see if there was one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

Gamestop is going to be selling all the old as poo poo consoles and games again online.

Expect Gray market stuff according to the retro store guys I talked to, this apparently has them concerned because while it's all online gamestop has the biggest pockets so they can swoop in and purchase the motherload.
OTOH i can finally get wild arms 3 for 2 bucks or whatever, Gamestop's PS2 game prices went crazy low before they were liquidated

• Locked thread