Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Wow, my mom could've added to our collection of our family featured in Ripley's* if only we'd known it was incredibly unbelievable that sometimes teeth come in oddly. (One of her canines went the wrong way and grew up instead of down, requiring surgery --- Believe it or Not!)

*This vintage Ripley's is actually my great grandpa: OMG a dude had a eight kids! Can you believe it?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Deep Dark Fears

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Anyone else starting to get the impression that Marciuliano wants to write Apartment 3-G instead?\

I wish he could. And with Keefe doing the art. That would be the best.

Luann

Bernice is nothing if not adept at pooping parties.

The Amazing Spider-Man

MJ, you don't have to keep up with anybody. You just have to tell Black Widow to go gently caress herself. Go on. You know you want to. It'll feel so good. I'm sure getting menaced by Hobgoblin would be heaven next to spending however many days with her.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Saw this courtroom sketch from the Boston marathon bombing trial:

Pretty sure that's Ted Forth there on the left.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

SOME

GIZMO

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

So, how do you get your hair to look like marijuana?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

For some reason, Jill seems way too tall here.

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban's Cats

9 Chickweed Lane 4/14/2004

Zits

:stonk: Ok, time to beat the poo poo out of the kid.

Kevin & Kell

:ughh:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane's World

Her waist is about the same level as the black-haired girl next to her but she's over a head taller. Her torso looks really long.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Presto posted:

Saw this courtroom sketch from the Boston marathon bombing trial:

Pretty sure that's Ted Forth there on the left.

Ted Forth is his attorney? He might as well hang himself in his cell right now.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac that explains the picture from yesterday.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Darthemed posted:

Just a heads-up, the comic strip documentary Stripped and all of its bonus materials are half-price this week.

Argh I want the super version but as I'm packing for a move the last thing I need is more stuff. Ugh.

EDIT: Oh, it's digital. Sweet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Oh, a new chapter's starting, is it?

Could someone explain to me what the hell was happening in the last one :psyduck:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane's World

And I thought Jane was meant to be short.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set plans ahead.

Working Daze tries its had at political humor again.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Okay, now the Society Editor is talking in the pink boxes and dialogue balloons at the same time. Who does she think she is, Deadpool? Dog Comix?

Pooch Café

The dogs are evolving. They have almost figured out campers, thank god they haven't discovered wheeled propulsion.

Ballard Street

WE'RE DEAD MEN.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Why would you tell him that robot!!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

RandomFerret posted:

Okay, now the Society Editor is talking in the pink boxes and dialogue balloons at the same time. Who does she think she is, Deadpool? Dog Comix?

Pooch Café

The dogs are evolving. They have almost figured out campers, thank god they haven't discovered wheeled propulsion.

Ballard Street

WE'RE DEAD MEN.

I'm always amazed at how well you segue these into each other. Every day. :allears:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I tried posting Mutts too one time, but I dropped it after a week. Trying to tie in three unrelated comix and give them a catchy title every day was just too much work.

And Mutts is about dogs and old people. That's, like, best case scenario for tying Pooch Café and Ballard Street together.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Mutts is bad though. There's nothing there to work with.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RandomFerret posted:

And Mutts is about dogs and old people.

You forgot animal shelters

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy is ripped from today's headlines. And every other day, too! (February 14, 1928)

Peanuts (April 16, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean Sticks It To The Man. And by "the man", I mean us, the hatereaders. :smug:

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 31, 1926-January 1, 1927)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Green Intern posted:

I can think of a few more words I'd like to ban.

What was the Bad Word, anyway?
If I remember right, there was no bad word and this is utter horseshit. He shut down the comments because people were coming on and telling him he sucks, and it wasn't all us comic strip megathread goons, I don't think. There were plenty of his "Honorable Master" people too who were there for him, but that wasn't good enough for his thin skin.

In rewriting history, he neglected to change or delete his original blog post, which I am not going to read in its entirety because I don't hate myself that much, but that I am pretty sure makes no mention of a complaint about a bad word or a request from a commenter to stop using such a word. Now that I think about it, even that's still a weak reason to completely shut down comments on his comic.

Honorable Master posted:

THE COMICS.COM "COMMENTS" OPTION, BOARDED UP
Many thanks to Skulker for alerting me to the spreading stench at the comics.com comments for Chickweed. A reader wrote to ask why the space suddenly closed up. This, with a few revisions, was my answer to him, which I then posted at the Pibgorn page on Gocomics. Members of the Order of The Couch there suggested I post the note here as well, and I take their advice.

“The comments section was walled up because I instructed my syndicate to do so. I began talking to my syndicate about closing it a few weeks back because of the few posts that kept creeping, on a daily basis, into the general discussion – comments that were, one way or the other, hateful, ugly, misogynistic, somewhat abusive or even threatening. Add to that, links to images that not only infringe upon my copyright but libel me into the bargain. My syndicate tried to dissuade me from closing up the commentary option; but I have to admit, every time I became aware of yet another flight of ugly fancy within its precincts, I became less convinced of the virtue of reserving it. I would seem to be punishing the many because of the actions of a few; however, I look upon commentary areas as watering holes where people can gather to talk and opine. When the water becomes polluted, I really think everybody should move to some nicer spot.

“I know some readers will feel that closing this avenue of expression smacks of censorship. However, my cartoons are always subject to detailed editorial review and censorship. I believe that misogynistic tirades and the general broadcast of hateful ugliness certainly deserve the same review. In my view, despite so many well-wishers, the comics.com watering hole is being repeatedly poisoned, and I don’t believe it should be an accompaniment to my work.”

I can only add to the above that I never object to criticism or dispute of my work. On the whole, I stay out of those issues, because I am going to do things the way I do them. I owe that to my readers, who can then argue the finer points.
He owes it to his readers to do what he does and then they can argue the finer points of his work, just not, you know, in the comments where people do that sort of thing.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Bugsy's pretty calm for a guy with a gun pointed at him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's probably been shot at by real policemen.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Since I apparently never actually clicked 'Post' yesterday, double-dose today.

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Bugsy's pretty calm for a guy with a gun pointed at him.

Yeah, here's how that's going to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS6kAKj8R9o

Seriously, I've been hearing Bugsy's dialogue in Mike Ehrmantraut's voice for this whole story arc.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

Large cats actually can purr, but for some reason it's affected by their ability to roar. Nobody really knows why, but if they can't roar, like the cheetah or mountain lion, then they'll purr like a normal house cat. If they can roar, like most big cats can, then they'll only be able to purr on exhalation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drq_ww7Ytzw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPMi136tURg

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That fleecy pig :swoon:

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

RandomFerret posted:

Ballard Street

WE'RE DEAD MEN.

Great Scott - a happy Ballard Dog :3:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wanamingo posted:

Large cats actually can purr, but for some reason it's affected by their ability to roar. Nobody really knows why, but if they can't roar, like the cheetah or mountain lion, then they'll purr like a normal house cat. If they can roar, like most big cats can, then they'll only be able to purr on exhalation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drq_ww7Ytzw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPMi136tURg

My cat can only purr on exhalation, but can't roar. He might be broken. :(

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

That's pretty rich, McEldowney complaining that somebody posted something misogynistic on the Internet.

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Who gives a poo poo what her parents have to say? She's an adult.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alterian posted:

I agree in principle, but she does live at home, has no job, and is otherwise entirely dependent on them. There's an important weighing of options she may have to go through.

None of this will come up in the comic, of course.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Alterian posted:

Presumably they're still financially supporting her. I haven't really seen her doing any work that would even pay for her community college tuition.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Andorra posted:

I don't know how you guys manage to read those big blocks of text Brooke spits out. My eyes always start glazing over whenever I try to read anything of his.

Every time I try to start reading Brooke's writing, this happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ8Com2fJfY

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (April 15-16, 1957)

America didn't recognize the PRC government until 1979. Yet another thing that Carter did that nobody ever talks about...probably because part of the deal was to stop recognizing the Taiwanese government as the legit China.

Peanuts: Year Two (June 23-25, 1952)

Super-Fun-Pak Comix

• Locked thread