Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MustardFacial posted:

I told her already if she wanted a minivan I was going to divorce her. I also know nothing about CUV's but I think all she wants is a driving appliance so I'm just going to get whatever unless I can find something even mildly interesting. They still offer the STI engines in the Forester XT right?

It has a wrx engine, which is good because the ej257 sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

GTA:V so far, and yes the dominator has louvers. Screw that crew game Im gonna have fun playing car dress up here.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MustardFacial posted:

The wife is tired of driving my GTI and wants a crossover for her next car. :(

Her criteria is:
- takes 87 octane
- is a crossover
- automatic
- cute

So I'm thinking probably Rav4 or CRV or Forester or something similar. Any recommendations?

RAV4 with the V6 will haul way more balls than something like that ever should.

Juke for comedy option (my wife loves hers and it is remarkably eager to play).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MustardFacial posted:

I told her already if she wanted a minivan I was going to divorce her. I also know nothing about CUV's but I think all she wants is a driving appliance so I'm just going to get whatever unless I can find something even mildly interesting. They still offer the STI engines in the Forester XT right?

No, a castrated WRX motor. Also with soft rear end suspension, a CVT and all the driving enjoyment of loving a dead hooker. The modern XT is just not in any way a mildly interesting car anymore.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Cage posted:

GTA:V so far, and yes the dominator has louvers. Screw that crew game Im gonna have fun playing car dress up here.

As much as it pains me to admit it, yeah, I will probably not touch The Crew again except to make a Raid spec '69 Camaro when that patch drops.

I'm so glad my old garage transferred over properly. Everything there except for the flat black truck with the bright red wheels is from my 360 Online character :3:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

My wife wanted a minivan in the future and I was like lol nooo so we compromised on a Ford Explorer since the new ones look sweet

welp that's my story about wives and automobiles!

She will enjoy her minivan.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only gripe I've ever had about Discount is that their pricing used to be a lot higher than Tirerack, but they've been much more aggressive the past few years. By the time you add in shipping and mounting, the only reason I have to go anywhere but Discount is if I really want a tire they don't carry at all.

There's a reason every single Discount in metro Phoenix has a line at the counter, all day every day.

I love Discount Tire, but I love Tirerack too! Tirerack supports our autocross club (pays us for click-through orders on the forum banner ad), so I buy my autocross tires/wheels from Tirerack, and support my local Discount by giving them all my daily-driver business.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I had never used discount tire before my last purchase, and I probably won't go anywhere else again. They were super cool bros and the price was really good.I also had to remove a couple wheels to do brakes a couple days later, and the lugnuts were torqued correctly !!!!>??

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Cat Terrist posted:

No, a castrated WRX motor. Also with soft rear end suspension, a CVT and all the driving enjoyment of loving a dead hooker. The modern XT is just not in any way a mildly interesting car anymore.

:(

meatpimp posted:

RAV4 with the V6 will haul way more balls than something like that ever should.

Juke for comedy option (my wife loves hers and it is remarkably eager to play).

I will consider this.

on a sidenote, Nissan didn't actually sell that GT-R engined Juke thing did they? I think I read somewhere it was just an engineering project.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

on a sidenote, Nissan didn't actually sell that GT-R engined Juke thing did they? I think I read somewhere it was just an engineering project.

No, it became a very limited production car. As much as the GTR leaves me cold, Nissan doing something that batshit insane shows there is hope left

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MustardFacial posted:

:(

I will consider this.

For what it's worth, my wife loves her Escape. 2.0 with tow package. Until we got to California it averaged 30mpg, and did 23-25 with a ~3.5k trailer behind it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

GTA chat: is there anything I can Boso the hell out of? All I've found so far (in about an hour of playing) is an upturned exhaust

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Some times the wives just like a nice boring car. Because with out them, our driveways would be filled full of broken dreams, tears and oil stains.

The CR-V is a kick rear end vehicle though. Not to crow about the Hyundai Santa Fe, but its worth a look. We test drove one when we were looking for the GFs new ride, and it was a very competent CUV

Edit: The Santa Fe Sport does come with a 2.0 turbocharged 4 banger, its even decent on fuel FWIW.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I bought tires off Tire Rack and took them to Discount Tire to get mounted. The guy asked me why I did that since Discount Tire would have price matched the online price anyway and I felt like an idiot and then we awkwardly held hands and I think we're dating now and that's my story about Discount Tire.

Im so glad im not the only one who did this. I cant say enough good things about discount tire either. Except for the one in countryside. gently caress that one three hours for a tire rotation with easily 7 techs and 3 sales dudes. Every single other one I have gone to has been awesome.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Bummer you can't buy a CR-V without a cvt. I assume a K24 model would be a bulletproof mom car for as long as you wanted to keep it.

e: not that Moms don't like CVTs, but I am still not sold on their long term reliability

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Deeters posted:

GTA chat: is there anything I can Boso the hell out of? All I've found so far (in about an hour of playing) is an upturned exhaust

The Ruiner (3rd gen Camaro look-alike) can get some Boso looking mods. Same with the Warrener, which is like a classic Skyline. And there's some random little car, I think it's the Asea, that can be stickerbombed.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

T1g4h posted:

The Ruiner (3rd gen Camaro look-alike) can get some Boso looking mods. Same with the Warrener, which is like a classic Skyline. And there's some random little car, I think it's the Asea, that can be stickerbombed.

You can boso the hell out of the AE86-alike coupe as well, it's got a hood and body kit and such to go with the exhaust and wing

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

GTA:V is the first game I've paid full retail for twice. Joined the AI Crew, barely played online on the 360 since I had nobody to play with.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

MustardFacial posted:

The wife is tired of driving my GTI and wants a crossover for her next car. :(

Her criteria is:
- takes 87 octane
- is a crossover
- automatic
- cute

So I'm thinking probably Rav4 or CRV or Forester or something similar. Any recommendations?

Mazda CX5?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

SFH1989 posted:

GTA:V is the first game I've paid full retail for twice. Joined the AI Crew, barely played online on the 360 since I had nobody to play with.

It's the first game I ever pre-ordered, and once my gaming rig is finished I am absolutely going to buy it again. Completely worth it, I just wish my internet was decent enough to play online with the cool kids.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Netflix's Daredevil is just stupidly good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

Bummer you can't buy a CR-V without a cvt. I assume a K24 model would be a bulletproof mom car for as long as you wanted to keep it.

e: not that Moms don't like CVTs, but I am still not sold on their long term reliability

Until the 2015, a K24 and a traditional five speed Hondamatic is exactly what the CRV came with. And yes it is a huge part of why I have one. 48k in just under two years and I have yet to get so much as a single hiccup from it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hahahah, I worked for them for about a month once. Shittiest management ever. They charged me for a GPS they never gave me, they charged me for a power cord for the car light they never gave me, refused to schedule around my availability, and loved to send our drivers miles outside the delivery area for "special" customers who would only order like 10 bucks of food and not tip. I finally quit when they put me on a 14 hour open/close shift then, 5 minutes before closing, sent me to the edge of our delivery area to return a tip to an angry customer given to another driver who had left already. I was not going to be reimbursed and would have to convince the other driver to give me 5 dollars later that week. Gave the rear end in a top hat his 5 bucks on my way home and never went back.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 15, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I flew to california for the rest of this week to vacation with the parents. Objective is a road trip to Solvang where we are going to be let into some historical motorcycle museum thats usually closed in the off tourist season but my dad goes yearly and emailed them so someone will be there waiting to unlock it for us. My dad thinks it may be the owner from the emails. Lunch today I went to Google to see my cousin for lunch and im pretty sure I'm not welcome back. Getting swiped into the buildings I got told no photography what so ever and i asked if we were allowed to pretend to take photos of everything instead and for the briefest second I saw a flicker of naked fear in his eyes. I then proceeded to loudly rip massive, splattery rear end directly in front of a google guard standing underneath Virgin Galactic Space Ship One.

Now I'm out to dinner with my family and the have Delirium Tremens in bottles and I'm having another beer called Belzebuth at 13%ABV

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Now I'm out to dinner with my family and the have Delirium Tremens in bottles and I'm having another beer called Belzebuth at 13%ABV

Belzebuth is loving delicious, first high-strength beer I ever had and I'll remember it forever.

E: Yeah the whole Delirium line is tasty as hell, try and get the Noel sometime if you haven't yet, I believe they only offer it around Christmas.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 15, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Well you found it, my favourite beer of all time. DT is the best.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Until the 2015, a K24 and a traditional five speed Hondamatic is exactly what the CRV came with. And yes it is a huge part of why I have one. 48k in just under two years and I have yet to get so much as a single hiccup from it.

Good to know, when my special lady wants to upgrade her accord to an even more mom-like vehicle, I will have her specifically look at the 2014 model to avoid the stupid cvt.

Her 04 accord, with fresh honda atf in it, shifts so loving smooth its basically a cvt anyways!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I left my fuckin card on my cart at work and my plan to get drunk got thwarted.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

some texas redneck posted:

I'm just stupid angry right now.

So I put in my 2 weeks notice at Jet's. They also have my school schedule and availability.

Availability is 30 hours a week, but at max, 4 days a week. Since I put in my 2 weeks, I've been hit with 45 hours a week, 6 days a week.

I'm only doing the 2 weeks out of courtesy - I don't plan to list them on my resume anyway.

The GM has been incredibly passive aggressive since I put in my 2 weeks notice. Demanding I clean out the grease trap (you need a license for that), actually yelled at me for washing produce before slicing it, constantly having drivers skip me, that kind of poo poo. The produce bit may or may not earn him a visit from the health department.

The asst mgr is the only one I trust, and the only one I talk to outside of work. I have a few days left in my final 2 weeks, just informed asst mgr that I don't plan to finish the 2 weeks, but I respect him too much to walk out on his shift. I already have shifts at Pizza Hut this week anyway, and my GM there has already been bugging me to come in if I'm not working, since he's been swamped. He took 30 deliveries himself during dinner rush last night, where I might take 21 on an open to close at Jet's. I'm already supposed to have shifts at the two (the GM at Jet's would fire my rear end so quick if he knew), with an hour between them.

I'm not going to finish the 2 weeks. I think my last day will be Wednesday, at best.

gently caress that noise, just walk out dude. None of that matters or is worth getting hosed over like that for. Burn that bridge and never look back.
Though I am curious about the grease trap bit, cause I've had to clean one before. :argh:

In other news, I sent an email with my two weeks notice to the franchise owner I had been doing maintenance work for, and still have yet to hear from him. Lol.
Oh well, I've quit, and he can deal with it. Right now I'm sitting at home watching King of the Hill, prepping for my big job interview, and it Feels So Good.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

gently caress that noise, just walk out dude. None of that matters or is worth getting hosed over like that for. Burn that bridge and never look back.
Though I am curious about the grease trap bit, cause I've had to clean one before. :argh:

In other news, I sent an email with my two weeks notice to the franchise owner I had been doing maintenance work for, and still have yet to hear from him. Lol.
Oh well, I've quit, and he can deal with it. Right now I'm sitting at home watching King of the Hill, prepping for my big job interview, and it Feels So Good.

This is all I can think of when people mention Donkey Kong now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTj7NSHVwSk

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Rhyno posted:

My friends took their car to WM for an oil change and after waiting for two hours they were told the car had a cracked oil pack and they couldn't change the oil. They brought it to my place and I crawled underneath to find the pan crunched and scraped. They'd owned this car for 4 years and had never been told the pan was damaged so we assume the WM techs did something.

I lost a 91 New Yorker to them back in high school. Took it in to WM for an oil change because I didn't know any better at the time, slack-rear end tech hosed up the filter somehow. Soon as I took it on the freeway, the filter blew off and threw hot oil all over the exhaust manifold... cue engine fire.

I liked that car, too.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Cat Terrist posted:

The new Forester appeals to my inner lesbian AND my inner soccer mom, but CT is right. It's a poo poo-tier enthusiast car and a shadow of its former self.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Great Beer posted:

Hahahah, I worked for them for about a month once. Shittiest management ever. They charged me for a GPS they never gave me, they charged me for a power cord for the car light they never gave me, refused to schedule around my availability, and loved to send our drivers miles outside the delivery area for "special" customers who would only order like 10 bucks of food and not tip. I finally quit when they put me on a 14 hour open/close shift then, 5 minutes before closing, sent me to the edge of our delivery area to return a tip to an angry customer given to another driver who had left already. I was not going to be reimbursed and would have to convince the other driver to give me 5 dollars later that week. Gave the rear end in a top hat his 5 bucks on my way home and never went back.

Thankfully the store I'm at isn't THAT bad, but we're forbidden from using our phones while inside the store - even to look up addresses that aren't in the point of sale (the maps have never been updated, and when the store was opened 4 or 5 years ago, there wasn't much around it - it even has major roads wrong in some cases). Of course, that's only when the owner is around. I don't think my GM would ever force someone to take a tip back - the worst we've done is when someone called after we'd shut everything down and said they got the wrong order, and they wanted it fixed that night. Told them it would be about 30 minutes since we had to turn the ovens back on, but the guy's house was on my way home - they just added 10 minutes to my clock-out time. Guy still tipped me $8 too.

Keep in mind they're all franchised, and in the case of my store, the owners have absolutely no loving clue how a restaurant works, they just want to see it fill their bank account. They made a fortune in the real estate boom in the 1990s, and have never actually touched anything in a restaurant.

I'm decent friends with the assistant manager, he knows how pissed I am and that I probably won't be returning after tomorrow (I wanted to make sure I walk out on the GM's shift, not the asst mgr's shift). They may make that decision for me tomorrow anyway, since I'm opening at Pizza Hut, then rushing over to Jet's (and probably won't change before I get to the parking lot). Basically working 10-4 tomorrow at the Hut, then 5-10 at Jet's, then I'm expected to open at Jet's the following day. The GM at Jet's told me not to start at PH until after my last day with Jet's. And the DM of PH told me not to start at PH until after my last day with Jet's. v:v:v

Fart Pipe posted:

Thats weird, what kind of license do you need to clean out a grease trap? I do it every week at my restaurant and always figured its easy but nasty bitch work for the dishwasher, haha.

I'm not talking about a cute itty bitty one inside the building, I'm talking about the kind in the ground that gets pumped out by a grease truck (and all of the waste water from the store runs through it). They have to leave paperwork behind for you to show to the health department showing you're having it done regularly.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Cards Against Humanity really is great for that as well as being a great game. I think I'll be doing a drinks, CAH and movie night later this week. Only downside is playing CAH with only two people doesn't really work well.

gently caress Jets. Seriously don't let them pull that poo poo to you. At most work your 30 hours then tell them to gently caress off. You turned in your two week and they're seeing what they can get away with, gently caress them.

There's a pretty neat online clone of Cards Against Humanity. The local Alamo Drafthouse Cinema also hosts CAH in their bar once a week.

And yeah, I'm probably going to tell them to gently caress off tomorrow. I'm opening at Pizza Hut tomorrow, closing at Jet's tomorrow. Need to try and get a couple of phone numbers for :420: hookups before I go.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I mentioned Monday that I felt like I'd been run over? Turns out it may not have been spending all day outside, or maybe it was. I felt nauseous after lunch Monday, as well as every damned joint hurting and lots of fatigue, and headed home early from work. Went to bed when I got home. Stomach hurts, like lots of gas, and, well, I have to be careful of farts. Spent all day Tuesday at home, trying to find a way to be somewhat comfortable with an aching stomach. I have no idea what the hell happened. Now it's after midnight, and I cant sleep. Either my tummy hurts, or my back aches. I am such a baby when I'm sick.
I either caught a bug from my brother-in-law or his kids (we were over there for a birthday party on Saturday, and they had been sic earlier in the week), managed to get heat stroke on Sunday, in 70-degree weather, or ate some bad chicken for lunch on Monday. Or any combination of the three.
Send help, the Pepto Bismol does nothing.

STR: yeah, tell 'em to gently caress off. That's just spiteful bullshit.

Mom car chat: my wife bought a 2000 Astro van when we had our daughter in 2001. That lasted until 2008, when she decided she wanted something smaller, with a manual. We ended up with a Kia Spectra5, and I have few complaints about the car. The only major work done so far has been the transmission (second-gear synchro went out), and the expansion valve in the AC, both covered under warranty. I've replaced the clutch once myself.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

I mentioned Monday that I felt like I'd been run over? Turns out it may not have been spending all day outside, or maybe it was. I felt nauseous after lunch Monday, as well as every damned joint hurting and lots of fatigue, and headed home early from work. Went to bed when I got home. Stomach hurts, like lots of gas, and, well, I have to be careful of farts.

I finally returned to the attic in an attempt to resume the network wiring last night.

When the drill died, I started trying to climb out of the cramped position I was in, and as soon as I lifted a leg to move onto a portion of the attic with a floor..... no warning, just "..... why does my leg feel wet? OH gently caress". There's a bit of insulation that's brown now.. :smith: I had the briefest sensation of a tiny fart.

Thank gently caress the shower is immediately next to the attic opening.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 15, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamnit, I just realized I'm going to have to start shaving again. Pizza Hut only allows a goatee, and I've been shaving "when the itching becomes unbearable" (so every 3 weeks) for several months.

How many ingrowns do you think I'll wind up with in the next week?

(and yes, I am talking about my face)

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

some texas redneck posted:

Goddamnit, I just realized I'm going to have to start shaving again. Pizza Hut only allows a goatee, and I've been shaving "when the itching becomes unbearable" (so every 3 weeks) for several months.

How many ingrowns do you think I'll wind up with in the next week?

(and yes, I am talking about my face)

If you haven't yet, consider a DE razor rather than the awful cartridge/disposable kind. That, combined with some great lathering shave soap is what makes shaving enjoyable for me. I used to break out like crazy with both electrics and disposables. They tear the hair out vs. cutting it cleanly. Plus, after the initial cost, DE blades cost like five cents tops and a bar of shave soap lasts six months.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've actually been using Shavemob.com razors/cartridges for over a year. They're a hell of a lot cheaper (I buy 6 months worth of cartridges for :20bux:, and make them last 9 months), though they do tend to be a little flimsy. Shave quality is close to a Mach 3 - doesn't cut quite as close, but cuts a lot closer than a 2 blade cartridge, and you only notice if it's been several hours.

My hands are too shaky for me to even think about a DE razor - pretty sure it'd look like a murder scene. And electrics laugh at me - I have pretty thick facial hair, the electrics just jam when they get near it.

Unrelated, my blood sugar has been ping ponging like a motherfucker since I've almost eliminated my daily alcohol regimen (there's a couple of drinks a day, but down from well over a dozen). Before I'd eaten anything today, but after taking my meds (except for the one I have to take with a meal), it was 178. An hour and a half later in class, I started feeling really out of it and shaky, so I checked it again.. 52. :stonk: It's now back in the 150s, and the only things I've had since them have been a chicken taco and water, plus the "only take this pill with food". I'm due for blood work this or next month, I think I might actually ask about going on insulin instead of "take this pill only with X amount of food, otherwise your sugar skyrockets or plummets if you don't do it just right". At least insulin is predictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Darchangel posted:

I mentioned Monday that I felt like I'd been run over? Turns out it may not have been spending all day outside, or maybe it was. I felt nauseous after lunch Monday, as well as every damned joint hurting and lots of fatigue, and headed home early from work. Went to bed when I got home. Stomach hurts, like lots of gas, and, well, I have to be careful of farts. Spent all day Tuesday at home, trying to find a way to be somewhat comfortable with an aching stomach. I have no idea what the hell happened. Now it's after midnight, and I cant sleep. Either my tummy hurts, or my back aches. I am such a baby when I'm sick.
I either caught a bug from my brother-in-law or his kids (we were over there for a birthday party on Saturday, and they had been sic earlier in the week), managed to get heat stroke on Sunday, in 70-degree weather, or ate some bad chicken for lunch on Monday. Or any combination of the three.
Send help, the Pepto Bismol does nothing.

Stay hydrated!

• Locked thread