Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Better to ignore them if at all possible and hope there aren't enough water throne s to be relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Point of said mod though is to avoid that.

So people can't just go "ah gently caress it, aquatic affairs".

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

Magil Zeal posted:

Comparing mages to troops isn't quite fair, those things require research and you only get 1 per fort per turn, but I think tiger riders get a bad rap really. They have 3 attacks (6 attacks per square!), can be up to 18 HP with a N9 bless, and have a shield.

I wouldn't recruit them in huge numbers past the early game, but they do the expansion job quite well and are reasonably effective against people who might rush you. They're not so vulnerable to arrows due to having a shield and a reasonable parry score, and they don't rout at the drop of a hat like elephants. They are on the expensive side, but you get a good unit out of the deal if you've invested in bless, which can also be useful for communions and Gandharvas (and possibly blood monkey summons if you somehow acquire those).

@turn 44 I have 3 Dakini as Bandar Log. I only had a E3B4 pretender (The man eater) as an awake expander. He died and I got him back. I think you can get them out faster, but I decided to get staple spells first, like stellar cascades, which were quite crucial. All you need is a Kinnara (conjuration 6) and 130 slaves (2 empowers + 50 for the Dakini) to start a blood economy. I lucked out and got loremasters, with 2-3 having some blood, but I would still be able to get Dakini in a reasonable time.

I think bandar archers are a better investment. I went production, so I can spam them a bit more. Armored, good morale, longbows. If something comes into melee they have enough armour to take it and with their gorilla strength hurt a lot in melee. They also have above average HP. I however regret not having a bless for the gandharvas, but on the other hand I am really enjoying the scales.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

M_Bison posted:

@turn 44 I have 3 Dakini as Bandar Log. I only had a E3B4 pretender (The man eater) as an awake expander. He died and I got him back. I think you can get them out faster, but I decided to get staple spells first, like stellar cascades, which were quite crucial. All you need is a Kinnara (conjuration 6) and 130 slaves (2 empowers + 50 for the Dakini) to start a blood economy. I lucked out and got loremasters, with 2-3 having some blood, but I would still be able to get Dakini in a reasonable time.

I think bandar archers are a better investment. I went production, so I can spam them a bit more. Armored, good morale, longbows. If something comes into melee they have enough armour to take it and with their gorilla strength hurt a lot in melee. They also have above average HP. I however regret not having a bless for the gandharvas, but on the other hand I am really enjoying the scales.

Thing is, Dakinis also require blood 6, so you're looking at blood6/conj6 minimum to get those out. And monkeys do have other research priorities, like alteration and evocation, to keep up in the midgame. I'm not denying it's possible, and certainly, dakinis are awesome, but they're not easy to get rolling.

I just can't see spending 18g on a longbow. For that price you can get two atavi shortbows and take sloth since they're 3r each, plus forest-recruits. 60 longbows vs 120 shortbows? I think the 120 short bows will be better most of the time.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

Magil Zeal posted:

Thing is, Dakinis also require blood 6, so you're looking at blood6/conj6 minimum to get those out. And monkeys do have other research priorities, like alteration and evocation, to keep up in the midgame. I'm not denying it's possible, and certainly, dakinis are awesome, but they're not easy to get rolling.

I just can't see spending 18g on a longbow. For that price you can get two atavi shortbows and take sloth since they're 3r each, plus forest-recruits. 60 longbows vs 120 shortbows? I think the 120 short bows will be better most of the time.

The thing is I wanted also something semi-decent between my mages and the enemy. The high res longbows are decent melee combatants too. Atavis are cannon fodder on the other hand. However if I wanted to maximize the amount of arrows in the air, I would go for Atavis. I don't have flaming arrows so I opted for the longbows. I am also fighting Marignon, so shortbows are useless against his high protection units, longbows at least have a decent chance to damage him. I only recruited archers because of him spamming F9D9 flagellants. I used stellar cascades/mind burn to kill his knights of the chalice, so it's going a bit downhill from now. Once I got Dakinis up I can use them to raid with spamming Air Elementals. In battle I'll probably set them on Tstrike spam duty.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

M_Bison posted:

The thing is I wanted also something semi-decent between my mages and the enemy. The high res longbows are decent melee combatants too. Atavis are cannon fodder on the other hand. However if I wanted to maximize the amount of arrows in the air, I would go for Atavis. I don't have flaming arrows so I opted for the longbows. I am also fighting Marignon, so shortbows are useless against his high protection units, longbows at least have a decent chance to damage him. I only recruited archers because of him spamming F9D9 flagellants. I used stellar cascades/mind burn to kill his knights of the chalice, so it's going a bit downhill from now. Once I got Dakinis up I can use them to raid with spamming Air Elementals. In battle I'll probably set them on Tstrike spam duty.

I'm guessing you weren't using Destruction then? I've been told in IRC that Destruction is pretty much mandatory for the monkeys, and Yakshas are tailor-made for that purpose. For a kinda dual-use thing it seems to me that light bandar warriors would be a better investment for their sticks and stones (10 less res), though that would assume you have access to Destruction.

Though against F9D9 Flags in particular, I'd definitely prefer shortbow mass over longbows, since they have no protection whatsoever.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

M_Bison posted:

The thing is I wanted also something semi-decent between my mages and the enemy.

200 markata with 120 atavi infantry in a double line behind them (to keep the routing markata from escaping). Your archers will be quite safe as will your mages and if you mess with the ratios you can get it so your double line of atavi routing generates an HP route for you to save your stuff.

Routing markata that are unable to get away are great for occupying melee for a long time. It's an expensive chaff screen when you total it all up but with proper mage support it is frustratingly difficult to deal with while being extremely replaceable. Spam destruction a little and the markata will even be dangerous in their own right.

EDIT: And your atavi are stealthy so no one can see how many atavi you have to support the babby monkeys until you wish them to.

If people pull out AOE evocations, be very sure to bring high HP decoy squads because holy god you do not want markatas getting hit by AOE.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 13, 2015

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Density posted:

Am I crazy in thinking that land nations should be given a similar aptitude in the water? How is it fair for uw ones to have heartland provinces that can't be contested until late game?

i think that's the ideal solution to the water nation problem, but it can't happen unless illwinter changes item costs or does something to let commanders share mobility items (or both). so water nations are going to be stuck in the trap of "well, if we make them playable, they'll be too strong because nobody can counterattack them" forever

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, there's really no simple solution to water nations without reworking substantial amounts of code.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Or having a select-all function on one of those quick and dirty Dominions mod-making text editors to make everything amphibious.

I don't know if that exists at the current time. I'm not even sure it's a particularly good solution, but it is A Solution.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was thinking on deploying Earthquake raid against a group of N9 Jaguar Warriors. Given their second shape, I suppose it won't kill them, just transform them into jaguars and then recover for the next battle. I need more than 1 earthquake.

So, how many Earthquakes in the same turn do I need to kill them?
In fact, how does it works exactly? Do they throw a defense roll to avoid the damage like normal?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

I was thinking on deploying Earthquake raid against a group of N9 Jaguar Warriors. Given their second shape, I suppose it won't kill them, just transform them into jaguars and then recover for the next battle. I need more than 1 earthquake.

In fact, how does it works exactly? Do they throw a defense roll to avoid the damage like normal?

It hits 50% of all units on the field at random, for 8+RNG armor-piercing damage. You'll need a lot of earthquakes to take them out.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I got in the mood of actually trying it. I did a test game. 5 earthquakes, 4 of them in the same turn, killed 0 of 30 jaguars (and 1/3 with afflictions after battle), and against enemy Eagle Warriors did almost 40% of casualties. It also killed 2-3 enemy mages.
I did more against my own troops, of course.

edit: 6 earthquakes at the same time and I still didn't get to kill any Jaguar. Yeah, I think this is a case closed.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 14, 2015

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.

fool_of_sound posted:

It hits 50% of all units on the field at random, for 8+RNG armor-piercing damage. You'll need a lot of earthquakes to take them out.

Its not 8+RNG, thats kinda misleading because armor also gets +RNG, after its halfed by AP

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Diabl0658 posted:

armor also gets +RNG

I had no idea about this.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
Even if its an armor negating attack the armor still gets the dice roll

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

You're going to need like 5 earthquakes to semi-reliably break their first shape.

Which nation are you playing?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Can you do it before they bless? That will clear the eagles and the blessers. Then you just have to deal with a bunch of hosed up unblessed jags assuming they don't just route immediately.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

So the goal is to have E and then A and also S and then B and D probably and of course N.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

So the goal is to have E and then A and also S and then B and D probably and of course N.

Also F and W

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Can you do it before they bless? That will clear the eagles and the blessers. Then you just have to deal with a bunch of hosed up unblessed jags assuming they don't just route immediately.

Hard to. Even mediocre players will bless their Jaguars in the first turn, and I plan to attack. I mean, I can try to bait him and stuff, but we both are playing the same game (he went off in my territory taking provinces, then retreated to his closest fort, baiting me to attack). And to do a multiple Earthquake I need to summon Earthpower before.

Earthquake is just a bad counter against him, I just have to use something else. It's just he has a really big blob of Jaguars at this point so a BF offensive spell was tempting. My actual plan is using Curse of Stones, and a first layer of Agharta summons in a very forward position to tie him out there and fatigue him (Earth and Mercury elementals and wights should take him a good while), and then finish him with my nationals troops put well in the back. Also some skellis, some Destruction, some Earth Meld.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I think Earth Meld, Blade Wind, and Maws of the Earth if you can get it will do a lot more good than Earthquakes.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

How are u posted:

I think Earth Meld, Blade Wind, and Maws of the Earth if you can get it will do a lot more good than Earthquakes.

Yeah if there's no b9 just go hog wild with evocations until they are all dead.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Jaguars without blood vengeance are sad jaguars.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Blade Wind does pretty good damage against Jags, and if you've got Agarthan summons to form your frontline you should be able to take them.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yup bladewind does nice damage against unarmoured/light armoured things.

the loincloth will not protect you from a blade, but chainmail will!

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I bet magma children would do pretty well for cost

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Boing posted:

I bet magma children would do pretty well for cost

Mictlan player can and should be flame warding if magma kids are around.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Magma kids are a bit fragile compared to your monstrously tanky earth elementals so make sure you position them carefully.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Piggypoopballs has ended. This was the first badnations game samog hosted.

Graphs: http://imgur.com/a/qlPj0

I was MA Abysia, the middle child of the Abysia family. It's a pretty lovely nation by in large except for a few specific things. Ok just one thing really.

Since the rest of my nation is mostly poo poo and fire magic, I opted to simply ignore them. For my god, I took :smaug::smaug::smaug: an awake Azi with d3f1 dom9 turmoil 3, sloth 3, growth 3, heat 3, luck 3, magic 3. Obviously sloth 3 abysia isn't going to be doing jack poo poo in the way of making my extremely res intensive infantry, so it's probably good that I don't plan on making them beyond turn 4. The plan is to:

1) Get 15+ provinces and slam out my dom ASAP (prophet will blood sac starting around turn 3). I will be double blind expanding, a thing that very few nations can do.
2) Find some troops that aren't garbage with ranged attacks. My dream troop is the mighty ~jaguar tribe slinger~
3) Find at least one serviceable indie mage without inept researcher. If I don't I'm probably hosed. Hopefully this mage will have S. Also find an N mage. If I don't I am hosed though these are common so I'm not worried.
4) Bluff a lot and present myself as too annoying to attack. My first research goal is alt 1 (skeletal body for my dargon) blood 2 (so I can hellpower bomb and self destruct effectively if rushed)
5) Blood. If the bluff works I will begin to obliterate my neighbors starting late y2ish.

So for starters, the double blind expansion worked with almost no losses, and I immediately see lizard shamans in the swamp to my northeast. Put a checkmark by "find a serviceable indie mage, find nature". My first goal is not a fort but a lab and a temple on that province to provide an rp boost and communion slaves to go into any hellpower defense. The rest of Y1 goes uneventfully and I swing my big dicked Azi around and remind people that in friendly dominion he will destroy an enemy awake god in about 2-3 rounds and can produce range 15 fire breath that can melt fire elementals. Basically, he's a fucker until you deploy some kind of magic counter as in a badnations game no one will have troops that can touch him. Also, he is completely harmless in their order dom and I have literally no troops aside from my starting armies. I am harmless honest! This works and I secure peace with Arco to my south, Ur to my west, Pythium to my north and some random idiot fish in the ocean to my east along with a small peaceful border with LA Marignon. About turn 6, a site searching warlock finds the crystal citadel, which allows me to make slow to recruit e2s2 mages which are very nice. Hell loving yes. Two provinces above that is a jaguar tribe province. Everything is coming up Abysia basically. My neighbors all fall upon eachother while I sit there peacefully researching. LA Marignon, the only other nation that can easily fight me and do my blood thing better than me is also not dogpiled and in fact proceeds to kill off MA Marignon who AId at some point. Everyone is making the mistake of letting blood nations live.

I spent the next 15ish turns dicking around making wolves, blood hunting and researching. My only investment in defense is building a bunch of slayers with lifelong protections in the lab to be thrown on at a moment's notice. Around turn 12, I search out a magus/high magus site which is solid gold so I am now up to 3 good indie mages. I get const4, thau3, alt1, some conjuration and blood 5. Upon hitting blood 5, I horror bomb Ur with a wave of lesser horrors followed by scout sneak attacks to clear the now empty provinces. On this same turn, Ur staled which allowed me to eat about 2/3 of his territory before he could respond resulting in an AI. I then spend a long time failing to finish him off with my terribad "armies" of slingers and cave grubs since provinces are easy to clear while fort walls confound horrors. Meanwhile I get const6 for lanterns and then start climbing all the way up blood. Since I had barely spent any fires I made the worlds largest pile of lanterns upon getting to const6, which ended up winning me the game due to creating a huge research advantage (though I didn't realize how large this advantage became at the time). After much disease demon spamming and dom pushing, I manage to start taking forts. I also start up vampire production by empowering my god in blood and having him poop out the first one while holding a skull staff. Hooray a new source of blood besides my cap. Naturally, being MA Abysia, my vampires are mostly tasked with blood hunting :negative:. I have way more hunt-able provinces than hunters and I desperately need more income to close the gap with Mari.

By this time LA Marignon has gotten to a monstrous size and I was pretty sure that we were all hosed in the ensuing bloodpocalpse. Ironically, his superior ability to blood actually let me stay afloat. He was spending a lot of time making diabolists to hunt up a truly insane blood economy while my own nation only produces blood from my cap. As such, I was researching a ton and though my blood economy was smaller than his, Abysia doesn't have to spend much of anything at all to turn their mages into horror sending/disease demon sending engines of death while Mari has to spend a ton on empowers and boosters which actually made our blooding abilities more similar than the respective economy sizes would indicate. I didn't realize this at the time though and had basically resigned myself to second place.

Around now there was a horrible horrible 300 hour hellfucker pause which generated no less than 4 successive quick AIs afterwards. Bandar Log, Arcosephale, Pythium, and Bogarus all essentially lost interest and AId out. What followed was a mad rush for free land as myself, Marignon, Atlantis and Rlyeh gobbled up as much as we could as fast as we could from the AIs. Naturally, as horror senders Marignon and myself got the bulk of the benefit. At this point, I am pretty certain that we are all going to die to Marignon so in order to accelerate the process, I attack him. Atlantis, who is actually pretty big and not too terrible vs horrors due to magic weapon brave guys also attacks him which I am pretty sure was instrumental in my eventual win. Though he was utterly destroyed by Marignon in short order partially due to a clutch vengeful waters which also exterminates the scout component of my scout/horror dynamic duo. He did manage to grab a fort and even attempted a storm on his cap before being thrown off and his armies scattered while costing Mari a lot of valuable resources. During this entire time I was also applying pressure with continuous horror spam. He did have all of his hunters leech scripted though so I couldn't really hit his hunting provinces very well unless I was willing to spend a good 60 slaves in horrors which is a waste to kill a couple mages he will instantly replace. The bulk of the world's population is wolves and black hawks at this point and they die in droves while patrolling to fuel the horror war that kills them. Even I have hawks thanks to this super cool dude, warlock of the year all years.

Why yes, that is a warlock empowered four times in air.

Once I hit blood 9, the game immediately changed though as anyone familiar with how Abysia plays would know. I go from poo poo fiery slinger based armies that only remain alive due to incinerate/leech horror point defense to swarms of demons provided by the L9 mass summons Forces of Darkness and Infernal Tempest (thanks Airlock you're a bro). Now that blood 9 is mine, my new priority is providing the battlefield buffs required to turn them into horrible army slaying monsters. Fiends of Darkness are cool, but they are even cooler under Blood Lust, Blood Rain, Darkness, Fog Warriors, Will of the Fates, Army of Gold, Firestorm, and Mass Regeneration. So I set about getting those starting with darkness/fog warriors/will of the fates.

add 4 damage to his attacks I took this before blood lust went off apparently.

At this point, I started to notice that I really did have a big research advantage based on the spells each side is throwing around so I endeavor to go for a throne victory as soon as possible. If he catches up in research I'm hosed. His blood income is probably twice mine and I don't have the ability to match it ever due to my lack of recruit anywhere blood. So I build a few demon armies with flying buffers and H3s following them around to go get thrones, starting with the low hanging AI controlled ones. Once those are done we start slamming our real armies into eachother over his thrones, and the battles are brutal as gently caress. I also quickly discover he has an ever growing stack of 36 vampire lords and 216 vampires that he can just throw at me every couple turns. If not for my research lead and superior buffs I would be extremely dead from this. Here's how poo poo looked:

The average turn:

And the last battle on the turn I got the throne win.

You can see the tide basically turned here and I was about to start losing as I couldn't afford to be losing my Elemental Royalty like this. In a few turns, the vampires would have retaken those two forward thrones and I would have started getting pushed back. In the end it was extremely close and probably the most hotly contested dom4 game I've played so far.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 18, 2015

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
piggypoop taught me that that arcane strings or w/e should be evoc 7 or such instead of 9 because it's neat but it's not level 9 neat. :saddowns:

also ma ryleh is pretty fun

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Piggypoopballs
Even though I lost after dozens of intense turns, this was one of the better games I've played and been in. It really showed how the lategame of Dom4 is supposed to play out, and how two blood economies of similar size war at the end of the game.

Every turn was a barrage of horror and stealth attacks, remote assassinations and massive economies pouring blood into temples, powerful summons and incremental advantage.

The score graphs are all very close except in one category, which was research. The resulting battle reports show exactly how important that gap was. My armies were under-supported and couldn't hold up against endgame summons with Will of the Fates, Fog Warriors, Army of Gold, Anti Magic and other fun spells. Most of my combat paths were in the 5-7 range rather than 8+ in the important ones that were needed. I didn't even hit Blood 9 until about a few turns before the game ended.

I think I turned on the blood machine a little too soon (which hurt research), and the war with Atlantis resulted in mobilizing a ton of mages that should have been in labs.

I also never really threatened Aby's blood machine - my remote attacks just kept it from expanding too much further. On the flipside, the attacks from Atlantis and constant horror barrage kept me having to replace hunters on a regular basis... meaning more mages that weren't in labs researching.

Lessons others can take away from this game:
  • Non blood nations must work together to minimize them in the early game when they're weakest. Otherwise you're just playing for runner-up.
  • "Nerfed" Burden of Time is still the most important global in the game.
  • You can survive in the horrorpocalypse if you're big enough and plan for it... but you'll be at a huge disadvantage.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Snakesgame please submit your memes

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 17, 2015

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

meme is incorrect goku should be sleeping

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I just got an email from Shrapnel Games letting me know that 5 1/2 years ago I added a copy of Dominions3 to my shopping cart.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Decrepus posted:

Snakesgame please submit your memes

Bats need not use their eyes to see. Only to cry

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

I just got an email from Shrapnel Games letting me know that 5 1/2 years ago I added a copy of Dominions3 to my shopping cart.
I also got one from them.

Thought I'd been hacked or something, but no, instead they're wondering why I didn't complete a transaction the best part of 4 years ago at Gamersfront.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

I also got one from them.

Thought I'd been hacked or something, but no, instead they're wondering why I didn't complete a transaction the best part of 4 years ago at Gamersfront.

Well, why didn't you?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Indignation at getting stung for THAT MUCH??? again by Shrapnel Games, I'm guessing, I was a student at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Are the messages automated?

• Locked thread