Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Lorini posted:

I know nothing about X Wings though.

Armada is a wargame where you build a fleet of ships and throw dice to destroy the other guy's fleet of ships. There's objectives that kind of mix up how you go about destroying the other guy's ships.

Imperial Assault is an adversarial adventure game where a team of rebel soldiers throw dice to complete objectives and the Imperial player throws wave after wave of stormtroopers at them to stop them. You can string multiple adventures together into a campaign.

X-Wing is a wargame where you build a squadron of starfighters and throw dice to blow up the other guy's starfighters. It's the best of the 3 games (objective fact).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Armada is much more similar to tactical/small-scale strategic minis games like Malifaux/Warmachine than it is to X-Wing, to be honest. X-Wing is very much a dogfighting game where ships fly around other and maneuver for volleys, whereas Armada is a slower, more objective-based game where you try to out-maneuver and concentrate firepower. The main twist in Armada -- the secret commands -- is definitely inspired by X-Wing, but the commands themselves are strategic choices rather than X-Wing's precise moves.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Chomp8645 posted:

I agree that trying hard to win is pointless and dumb, but this jagoff was complaining about people trying to use cards that make sense. What the gently caress is that poo poo?

"Nah bro. See the lead was 'stuff white people say' and you chose a card that actually features a spoken sentence and therefore logically follows. gently caress you you're a try hard and turning me off the game, I'm giving the point to the dude who chose 'Sonic the Hedgehog in lingerie', he knows how to be funny!"

Black Card: Stuff Goons do.

White Card: Put words in people's mouths.
White Card: Look down on people for enjoying a very popular game.
White Card: Assume that everyone is as uncreative and unfunny as they are.
White Card: Pooping back and forth. Forever.

Pick one!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Thanks guys, sounds like Armada is the one I'm looking for when I get some bucks to spend.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Re: CAH: Is a game where no one cares who wins still a game????!?

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 15, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jimbozig posted:

evidence: swap.avi

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jimbozig posted:

White Card: Put words in people's mouths.
White Card: Look down on people for enjoying a very popular game.
White Card: Assume that everyone is as uncreative and unfunny as they are.

Pick one!

Also, this.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Hahahaha "Pooping back and forth forever" That's so fuckin zany!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Same, but the opposite.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The point is that CAH is so bad at being a game that legitimately attempting to win can create a lovely, un-fun situation.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
hey hey you you

I don't like your boardgames

no way no way

think you need some new ones

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

How can you even play relevant cards in CAH anyhow? If the prompt is "poo poo white people say", it doesn't really matter whether you play "Pooping back and forth forever", "Hunting accidents", "Abortions", or "making GBS threads dick nipples", it will be just as much of an unfunny lolrandom non-sequitur.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

I really just like drafting mechanics, hence why I love deck builder games. Dominion doesn't really do it for me though, the lack of flavor feels like I'm playing a spreadsheet.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 16, 2018

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Bottom Liner posted:

So what are the best deck builder games if I have terrible taste in games and really like Ascension and Star Realms?

I really just like drafting mechanics, hence why I love deck builder games. Dominion doesn't really do it for me though, the lack of flavor feels like I'm playing a spreadsheet.

Eminent Domain + Escalation is one heck of a deck builder.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Memnaelar posted:

Eminent Domain + Escalation is one heck of a deck builder.

This is not a good game if you have bad taste. I think he wants bad games.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

EvilChameleon posted:

In that case, Thunderstone

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

EvilChameleon posted:

It's good, but it also somehow looks like a really bad one. Like, I can't really vocalize it, but when I looked up the game i thought it looked like hot garbage. But it isn't! Maybe that'll be enough to fool his group.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Durendal posted:

Naw. Get Marvel Legendary or one of it's variations. Not even kidding that I think it's the best of the "bad deckbuilders".

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

So what are the best deck builder games if I have terrible taste in games and really like Ascension and Star Realms?

You are in luck there is a deck builder out there that both has excellent mechanics (because it's just Dominion) and is terrible. Is pedophilia a flavor?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/65282/tanto-cuore

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Bottom Liner posted:

Play Seasons if you like drafting. There's almost no game once the drafting is done.

If you want lovely deckbuilders, go hog wild on anything by Cryptozooic. The Street Fighter Deckbuilder is particularly rubbish.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Bubble-T posted:

hey hey you you

I don't like your boardgames

no way no way

think you need some new ones

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Re: CAH: Is a game where no one cares who wins still a game????!?

Sure, I like Wikipedias first sentence definition of "game" the best: "A game is structured playing".

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Durendal posted:

I deeply regret purchasing Thunderstone.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Mods please change the thread title to "recreational contests typically featuring a board and/or cards as components", thanks!

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I deeply regret purchasing Thunderstone.

Good. :colbert:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Anything from these shelves

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Aww, you don't like Coup? come on, coup is fun.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Bottom Liner posted:

Sounds like you're a good candidate for Legendary.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Bubble-T posted:

DC Deckbuilder is on those shelves. Why is DC Deckbuilder on those shelves?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

I've played a lot of the Penny Arcade game on iOS. Great fun for a buck. I'll try to snag Legendary cheap.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Sometimes you just want to be Batman.

Unfortunately, that game doesn't let you be Batman. It's actually kind of strange how there hasn't really been a game that conveys super hero themes through mechanisms very well. It seems like it would be pretty easy. A super hero themed Arcadia Quest type of game should exist.

Maybe that X-Men Spartacus re-theme will be decent.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

:eyepop:

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Unfortunately, that game doesn't let you be Batman. It's actually kind of strange how there hasn't really been a game that conveys super hero themes through mechanisms very well. It seems like it would be pretty easy. A super hero themed Arcadia Quest type of game should exist.

What about Heroes Wanted? I guess that's more like Mystery Men than real superheroes, though.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Dirk the Average posted:

DC Deckbuilder is on those shelves. Why is DC Deckbuilder on those shelves?

that guy posted:

Who wants to play a game that takes 5-10 plays just to understand it in its entirety? Ridiculous.

Im not spending 3 hours just to begin to grasp a game. Thats awful, thats not the hallmark of a good game.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 15, 2015

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Sometimes you just want to be Batman.

Maybe that X-Men Spartacus re-theme will be decent.

While the jury is still out on it, Spector Ops is like this in theory. Replace 'completing objectives' with 'finding clues' and you are are a ninja detective with gadgets on your utility belt sneaking around the docks. A henchman sees you? Throw the smoke bomb on the ground and sneak back into the shadows. Plus the henchman don't die, but only get stunned. So you are following Batman's 'No killing' rule.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Bottom Liner posted:

Just play 7 Wonders which is actually about drafting.

Dominion gets more flavor in the expansions but you have to earn the privilege to get there. There's more to flavor than text.

Re: Marvel Dice Masters, Coolstuff used to have players of this on the regular every Wednesday but it's died down over the last year or 2.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah I just saw they're having a tourney this month at the Maitland store, I might go check it out.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I agree with the second half of his statement. If a game has failed to convey upon you a sense of its identity after 3 hours, it's doing something terribly wrong. I'll also stand by the statement that Legendary isn't a bad game. If you're going to use orthogonal currencies and a market row, it probably has the best system for it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

I agree with the second half of his statement. If a game has failed to convey upon you a sense of its identity after 3 hours, it's doing something terribly wrong. I'll also stand by the statement that Legendary isn't a bad game. If you're going to use orthogonal currencies and a market row, it probably has the best system for it.

That was just him shifting the goalposts from "understand in its entirety" to "begin to grasp", we were discussing Race for the Galaxy so the two metrics are pretty much equivalent. 2 games of Agricola or Caverna were ok in his book though, somehow.

Basically he's a dummy who wants to feel like a master of a game after the first play and that's why he owns 8 variants of the same shallow deckbuilding system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Anyone here ever play Republic of Rome? I've owned it twice but have never actually played it and was thinking of giving it a try next weekend. The politics and such always seemed potentially fun and interesting to me (my group likes that kind of thing), but it also seems bloated and way overcomplicated.

It.......takes a while to get the hang of it. Watch alot of tutorials/vids of people explaining it, and check out the Living Rulebook cause it's laid out much better. I really enjoy it, but it is a bit bloated and overcomplicated for what it is. It made more sense to me thinking of it as a cardgame with a bigass board of references, cause that's all it is.