Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqgI2vL6DNI
This sums up the Xeno Directs in like 6 mins. The last 30 seconds shows more of what adversaries were fighting in terms of enemy mechs and aliens.
God drat.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

How much of the online stuff is actual multiplayer? I came away from the doll video with the idea that it was all like dragon's dogma, finding other players out in the world and recruiting them as npcs, but some parts of that trailer have big fat monster hunter hp bars with player names next to them on the side of the screen like you're actually playing with real people. Is that real multiplayer? Just for super hard bosses?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Are those Telethia at ~5:40?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
What the gently caress is that robot at ~6:05.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

What the gently caress is that robot at ~6:05.

loving Awesome. Also big

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Man, I want to see footage from the localized version so bad. Shame we'll probably be waiting on that until fall/winter.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The wait is going to be painful once it launches in Japan later this month.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The wait is going to be painful once it launches in Japan later this month.

At least we'll know if it sucks or not. if it's good the wait'll be painful, if it isn't then at least the disappointment comes quick.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Can't wait for the doomsaying if the amazon.jp rating gets bombed with 1's for some silly reason like it tends to be.

e: Or like when people were getting ready to write off DKTF in the WiiU thread a while back when the first review was "good, not great".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

Can't wait for the doomsaying if the amazon.jp rating gets bombed with 1's for some silly reason like it tends to be.

e: Or like when people were getting ready to write off DKTF in the WiiU thread a while back when the first review was "good, not great".

1 star: I couldn't date my waifu so this game is literally Hitler.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm legitimately expecting people to react like that to FE14 if it doesn't have a marriage system.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Motto posted:

Eh, I don't think the original Xenoblade got bombed in any way. So I think we'll be good. This one has robots now, there's no way they'll complain.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

Eh, I don't think the original Xenoblade got bombed in any way. So I think we'll be good. This one has robots now, there's no way they'll complain.

You underestimate Japanese nerds.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Every recent major game to come out in Japan seems to get flooded with 1 star reviews on Amazon and I can't fathom why aside from people hatin' to be hatin'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

Every recent major game to come out in Japan seems to get flooded with 1 star reviews on Amazon and I can't fathom why aside from people hatin' to be hatin'

Imagine if you can do angry forum ranting but companies actually have to pay attention to it!

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

lets hang out posted:

How much of the online stuff is actual multiplayer? I came away from the doll video with the idea that it was all like dragon's dogma, finding other players out in the world and recruiting them as npcs, but some parts of that trailer have big fat monster hunter hp bars with player names next to them on the side of the screen like you're actually playing with real people. Is that real multiplayer? Just for super hard bosses?

Most of the online features are, as Takahashi put it, "loosely connected", where you don't directly interact with other players, but there are also Squad Quests where up to 4 human players get together and fight against bosses in a more traditional real multiplayer mode.

Ometeotl posted:

Are those Telethia at ~5:40?

Yep, it says "Telethia Plume" right there at the top of the screen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Famitsu Magazine seems to be the goto source for Western gamers who want to know if a Japanese game is good or not before it comes to the states. Once they have their review out, we should know a lot about the quality of Xenoblade X. My feeling though is that this game will be really good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Famitsu has been poo poo for years and a good score from them is zero sign of quality.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Famitsu has been poo poo for years and a good score from them is zero sign of quality.

Oooh. :( Well I don't know then anymore. We have a few goons around here that are fluent in Japanese, so hopefully one of them picks the game up.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh no, you definitely don't need to do all of them! If you do all of them you will end up grossly overlevelled and steamroll everything. Plus you'll get burned out quickly.

Best way to handle sidequests is go through an area, talk to quest givers, and pick up a bunch of quests. Then go wander around and kill things and collect shinies on your way to your next story objective. You'll complete a fair few of the "kill this" or "collect that" quests that way. If you find yourself falling behind in levels, go pick up some more quests. In Xenoblade, one or two levels make a huge difference,, so it's easy to catch up if you fall a bit behind.

On the other hand, following a guide to get/complete all of the quests as they become available isn't as much of a burn-out as people are making out. I think it's perhaps down to how i use the 3DS as i don't really play it for long periods of time, just intermittent bursts which seems to curb the rabbit-hole-esque way that the side quests can become when you're sitting down in a massive 5 hours bender on the Wii.

Hell, i'd actually advise it because i remember saving all of this stuff for the endgame point making it feel like a super chore as simple ways of completing later quests were locked behind affinity which hadn't built up because i left it all to the end.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Were NA players in general bothered about the British accents? I found them charming and would miss them in the sequel.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I've seen a few people complaining about the voice acting, but I loved it, personally.

I doubt the sequel is going to be full of British accents though since it's a United States ship that gets blown up in the beginning.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The British accents only really happened because it was localised by NoE originally, it wasn't even going to get a U.S. release at first.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Doc V posted:

Yep, it says "Telethia Plume" right there at the top of the screen.

Okay are we really sure this isn't a direct sequel? I mean the Nopon are easy to write off as "it's like moogles in Final Fantasy", but throwing in (late game Xenoblade spoilers) the Bionis' immune system and saying it's unrelated seems a little harder to swallow.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ImpAtom posted:

Imagine if you can do angry forum ranting but companies actually have to pay attention to it!

That's only going to work until companies have a hard time remembering the last game that DIDN'T get tanked in the user ratings.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Suaimhneas posted:

Okay are we really sure this isn't a direct sequel? I mean the Nopon are easy to write off as "it's like moogles in Final Fantasy", but throwing in (late game Xenoblade spoilers) the Bionis' immune system and saying it's unrelated seems a little harder to swallow.

Chocobo feathers

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

People keep saying it's not but I don't think anyone actually knows for sure, and it's a bunch of conclusion jumping.

I'm going to keep believing it's a direct sequel (of some variety) until I have proof otherwise.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
I don't know if I want those faces as a direct sequel.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Big Doll update this week!

An overview page on Dolls: http://xenobladex.jp/world/doll.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI69lrGxcks
-You gain access to Dolls when you reach a point in the story when you can apply for a Doll license
-Later in the story, you can develop a flight pack for your Dolls
-Light-type Dolls: less HP, high accuracy and evasion. High mobility in battle. Low fuel capacity, but low fuel consumption when flying. Relatively cheap.
-Middle-type Dolls: balanced and easy to use. All parts are well armored, so it's hard for enemies to break off parts. A bit on the expensive side.
-Heavy-type Dolls: very high HP and defense. High fuel capacity, allowing you to equip a lot of high-power weapons. Low mobility in battles, uses up a lot of fuel in flight. Expensive.

Doll battles and customization: http://xenobladex.jp/battle/battle10.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_8oUJzlJ3c
-Hand weapons: modify how your Doll's autoattack works. Include rods, swords, assault rifles and shotguns
-8 other weapon slots give your Doll access to arts
-Back weapons: railgun, missile, grenade launcher etc. Give you high-powered arts
-Shoulder weapons: missile, chaingun, laser etc. Give you arts that are even more powerful than back weapon arts
-Arm weapons: shield, vulcan etc. Many support arts
-Spare weapons: beam saber, hand grenade etc. Quickly recharging arts
-Each weapon slot has left and right versions
-As usual, you can spend 3000 TP to activate Overclock Gear
-OC Gear lets you use Doll arts without spending any fuel
-When you use arts, there is a chance you'll go into cockpit mode, which recharges all your arts
-After you inflict Break on an enemy, you can Catch it, which prevents it from acting and makes all attacks against it hit automatically and deal extra damage
-Flying and using Doll arts spends Doll Fuel, which recharges when you're not piloting the Doll and can also be bought at NLA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IwMoproWI0
-You can customize your Doll's equipment, color and name

Character pages for Dolls:

Formula posted:

A standard deployment model based on a light frame.
Its lightweight two-wheel form makes it excellent for high-speed battles and its basic structure is the foundation upon which all other Dolls are built.
It's a reasonably priced entry-level machine.
It's equipped with the "JINRAI" (thunderclap) Gear.

Urban posted:

An urban deployment model based on a light frame.
It has high durability and hand-to-hand capabilities, but in exchange for the enhanced armor its mobility and mileage are reduced.
Its vehicle form has excellent handling.
It's equipped with the "OBORO" (haze) Gear.

Wels posted:

A custom machine that sports the firepower of a middle-type Doll despite its light frame.
It has some kinks, but it's very powerful.
The "G-BUSTER" was developed specifically for it and is mounted on its shoulder in the standard configuration.
It's equipped with the "HAGANE" (steel) Gear.

Lailah posted:

A custom machine based on a midweight frame.
It was based around the concept of a machine that, despite the added weight, retains the mobility of a light class Doll thanks to its increased power output.
The "F-Rifle" was developed specifically for it and is mounted on its shoulder in the standard configuration.
It's equipped with the "NAGI" (calm) Gear.

Inferno posted:

A custom machine based on a midweight frame.
It was developed to be a front-line machine and is widely manufactured and deployed.
It has high durability and has a good balance of melee and ranged combat power.
The "B-Gatling" was developed specifically for it and is mounted on its shoulder in the standard configuration.
It's equipped with the "HIBANA" (spark) Gear.

Mastema posted:

A multileg machine based on a heavy frame.
It excels at long-range combat, but its mobility suffers due to its weight.
The "M-sniper" was developed specifically for it and is mounted on its shoulder in the standard configuration.
Its vehicle form has problems with handling.
It's equipped with the "GEKITETU" (firing hammer) Gear.

Amdusias posted:

A tank tread machine based on a midweight frame.
It was designed with an emphasis on close combat, so it excels at melee range and boasts extremely high durability and close combat power. The downside is that it is expensive and hard to acquire.
The "E-scythe" was developed specifically for it and is mounted on its shoulder in the standard configuration.
It's equipped with the "KURENAI" (crimson) Gear.

There's also a new page showing off Dolls customized by the staff: http://xenobladex.jp/character/miracollection_doll.html

New illustration: http://xenobladex.jp/gallery/gallery09.html

This week's Nopon gag page has screens of the Canyon of Forgetfulness: http://xenobladex.jp/special/sp-welcome20150416.html

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It keeps saying that Spare Weapons are "quickly recharging," but the recast times I see on the stat screen are usually 20 to 40 seconds, which is about the same as the other subweapons. They seem to recharge at a pretty good rate in a fight, though, so there's that.

I also noticed that all of those fights took about two hundred fuel. Now this will be different for different weights, of course, because bigger Dolls have bigger tanks but use more in transit, so combat is a proportionally smaller amount of the tank, but off the top of my head, it looks like a Formula is going to be able to handle 30-40 engagements on a full tank, depending on how much flying you do and how extravagant you get with the various mounted weapons. The fact that fuel regenerates when you're dismounted and you can buy more (at an extravagant price, but it's an option) leads me to believe that Dolls are a good "hm, this might be a little tough" option, and not "OH GOD PULL OUT ALL THE STOPS" tier. Of course, the player party was also way higher level, so who the hell knows.

There was also some part breaking going on in there. The first enemy got its knees shot out, and it looked like those could be specifically targeted. I guess Dolls can do part breaking against enemies of the right scale, which makes sense, since there are enemies in the game that are pretty clearly meant to be Doll-scale encounters, and it'd suck if you couldn't break them.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hour 50 into Xenoblade: Welp, finally caught up with my first playthrough, all the way up in Agniratha. Took me about 80 hours to get here last time, and trying to finish as many quests as possible before the final boss gave me a major case of burnout, which is why I never actually finished the game. But I will this time, tonight.

Hour 51:30: WELP! Turns out he wasn't the final boss! I think I may be a little under leveled, only 67, took me a couple of tries to actually win that fight. And now Mechonis is moving which is a nice big fat sign saying "your poo poo is wrecked". Well, at least I know the next fight is the final boss.

Hour 52:30: :stare: oh my god Dickson you dick I thought you were a bro you dick jesus christ this game

Hour 53:30: maybe it's cause it's nearly 3 am and I'm a little buzzed right now but Dickson mugging for the camera is the best, I really missed having Mumkhar around to chew the scenery and be a really enjoyable villain, but Dickson and that red dressed High Entia chick both fill that role equally well :allears: at about this point I thought I'd post my thoughts cause I've just hit another save checkpoint and I'm determined to beat this game tonight

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Xenoblade really is the gift that keeps on giving.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hour 53:35: laugh it up Shulk. That's how you get through a rough day oh hey Alvis are you gonna explain why you're so mysterious? No? Kay later
- the affinity chart just updated to show the deceased :smith:

Hour 54: "you know what i am. And what you must do" ah, no, while you just explained a whole bunch of poo poo you kinda skipped over that part
- Shulk you didn't say "sorry i kept you waiting" see me after class
- yes we are all so shocked by Alvis's inevitable betrayal
just look at the shock on my face its real
- i hope i find better armour for seven soon, it's hard to take her seriously in the speed suit

Hour 55: freedom to explore again! I'm gonna take a peek in Tephra cave real quick before moving on to the final fight

Phone posting is the most annoying thing ever don't know how people do it

EDIT: loving hell this game is huge. I just got to the next dungeon, took a look at the clock, looked around to see everything I'm gonna be fighting is at least three levels higher than me, gonna guess that if it's even half as long as the last dungeon that'll still be an hour, add onto that the inevitable miniboss rundown before the final boss and suddenly I don't see myself finishing this game for at least another three hours. So not tonight. I am weak. Also sober. Gonna fix that before starting again tomorrow.

It is pretty cool seeing parts of the game I hadn't seen before. New areas still impress artistically though at least a couple of the last few dozen cutscenes made me wish they'd remake this game with PS5 level visuals.

Also don't get why everybody said the writing doesn't hold up in the last half. Seems to be holding itself together just fine. :shrug:

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 16, 2015

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Doc V posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IwMoproWI0
-You can customize your Doll's equipment, color and name

That theme is really chill, and gently caress MS for posting all this artwork in such small resolutions.
Edit: Just noticed that Elma is once again getting her poo poo kicked in that Doll artwork and she's actually in the process of falling out of her mech. It must be a running joke by the developers that Elma is always the first one to die in all of the trailers.

Dastardly fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 16, 2015

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Davinci posted:

Xenoblade really is the gift that keeps on giving.

It's genuinely surprising that I'm still enjoying a replay of an RPG (that i didn't complete as a kid or something), especially one this big.

Also, all available quests done up to the point just after the Eryth Tomb or wherever, so that should be the majority of Alcamoth and Frontier Village done I think. The various guides you guys posted were quite helpful, although I've still ended up using a combination of sources.

The app to track what's available to me in order, the wiki for a detailed breakdown of what to do for them and a bunch of npc maps that show you exactly where people are.

It's still baffling me that there isn't a single source that combines all of these online. Like the wiki is close, but it's quest order availability is inaccurate and the descriptions of where to find people are sometimes obtuse and don't bother to include a map location.

I'm also convinced the drop rates have been tweaked a little (or I'm having a really lucky run) as so far I've not had to do much in the way of grinding to get super rare items.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Also don't get why everybody said the writing doesn't hold up in the last half. Seems to be holding itself together just fine. :shrug:

People said that? That's nonsense.

By the way, you're at the point of the game where the leveling curve is a bit wonky. The appropriately leveled enemies are actually now the highest leveled enemies way back in Colony 9. You can forge ahead anyway but the next boss tends to be a small bit of a rodeblock since it's easy to get to it underleveled.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The writing starts falling apart right about when the final villain is revealed, but right up until that point it's enjoyable.

It's a shame.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That's the common complaint against Xenogears, not really Xenoblade. The common complaint against Gears is that it poo poo the bed on the 2nd disc.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 16, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

The writing starts falling apart right about when the final villain is revealed, but right up until that point it's enjoyable.

It's a shame.

The ending is one of the best parts of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Xenoblog

I love everything about these posts. :allears:

• Locked thread