Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
No one has feet, some don't even have legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Speaking of Issac, I can't find him anywhere on this page. He came to gym class, right?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Oh. My. God. This page. THIS PAGE. :allears:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Scrap Dragon posted:

Speaking of Issac, I can't find him anywhere on this page. He came to gym class, right?

Nah we haven't seen him in the past few pages. He's probably off somewhere brooding.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

flatluigi posted:

People whose deals I want to know:

We've seen blondie there before somewhere, but I can't remember which page.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

pik_d posted:

Nah we haven't seen him in the past few pages. He's probably off somewhere brooding.

or:

Also the girl in the top-ish left has to be related to Garcia somehow.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

pik_d posted:

No one has feet, some don't even have legs

Guest-drawn by Rob Liefeld.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Surprised that Johnny called for RJ before Ollie. Guess Ollie is the wider target though for dodgebal.

Also I love the "DOORS SUCK" shirt on the kid that's even bigger than Ollie.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Lisa v Cody is the longest and most brutal Hitball Rivalry the sport has ever seen.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow I didn't even see this sneaky lil' guy

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Max is a natural first pick since the first rule of dodgehitball is to dodge not get hit.

Something tells me Ed isn't very good at it.

pik_d posted:

Ed is literally gokuhan

Edit: Link to the image because it doesn't seem clickable and it's bigger than it shows.

Mouseover text: burnhound versus shockodile is my favorite syfy channel original movie

gokuhanten

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Kabanaw posted:

Max is a natural first pick since the first rule of dodgehitball is to dodge not get hit.

Something tells me Ed isn't very good at it.

gokuhanten

Nah he has glasses, definitely Gohan

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Wow I didn't even see this sneaky lil' guy

It's clearly Sasuke from ganbare goemon. or his red-headed brother.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Intersting how Dimitri is on Johnny's side.

I see Dimitri v.s. Max coming up.

Also poor Ed. I figure Isabelle is gonna brush it off when he brings it up.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Laughed my rear end off when I saw this kid:

Also, hoping Ed got snubbed as a way to sabotage Jhonny's team from within.

Or maybe she just wants to face him in glorious Hitball single combat. :black101:

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Surprised that Johnny called for RJ before Ollie. Guess Ollie is the wider target though for dodgebal.

Also I love the "DOORS SUCK" shirt on the kid that's even bigger than Ollie.

That kid likes good webcomics.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

flatluigi posted:

People whose deals I want to know:

Oh Christ I just realized the "eyes" are the Vice Principal's nostrils.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

Oh My God

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh hey check out those background characters from chapter 1, still being in the background.

http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=40

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm still constantly impressed by how much the art in this comic has developed since the beginning. Kinda makes me wish he'd fall into the trap that so many other webcomic people do and redo the first chapter or two a bit

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

If Paranatural was an anime it'd be one of the few where it'd be hard to play "Spot the protagonist in the classroom."

Like there is obviously a few really great standouts but ALL these backgroundians show enough personality that I really wouldn't mind getting to know them more over a page or five. There's not a single miss.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
This is a tremendous page, and Zack is free to feel very pleased about it. It's about as perfect a page for this sort of thing you could make, and for all of the pacing hiccups of the last chapter, this is almost certainly the best stand-alone page the comic has produced yet. Devoid of any context, you have a complete coherent image and even a story--you understand why teams are being formed and the teams themselves are given a lot of character through the visuals alone. The dialog services the art by establishing just enough context to give it the impact it wants to have, and the result is quite spectacular as a result.

It is good and I like it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

He's a little puppet :stare:

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

jesus, the entire head is just her nose :eyepop:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

RandallODim posted:

Nah, Johnny won't pick Max, because that means Isabel can't pick Max before Ed and cause way more middle school drama.

Called it! because it was super foreshadowed so not that impressive

I don't feel that bad for Ed, but that largely comes down to me not being a big fan of his wacky schtick, so I'm fine with anything that causes him to drop it for a while. Also Vice-Principal is creepy as gently caress why are you heeeeere

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

RandallODim posted:

Called it! because it was super foreshadowed so not that impressive

I don't feel that bad for Ed, but that largely comes down to me not being a big fan of his wacky schtick, so I'm fine with anything that causes him to drop it for a while. Also Vice-Principal is creepy as gently caress why are you heeeeere

Nah it'll be great, both Isaac and Ed will be mad at Isabel. Isaac will use this to briefly recruit Ed to his side, but Ed will realize that Isaac's evil plan goes too far and will make nice with Isabel before rejoining the team for the final battle, which will actually only be a major fight of the first story arc when Rita Repulsa reveals she was controlling the Green Ranger all along.

...wait I hosed that up somewhere

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

There is not a fully rendered character there whose deal I do not want to know.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Johnny's gonna win because he's got more named characters on his side, along with the power of friendship [sub]and webcomics.[\sub]

Not only this but Isabel's side has 4 people with their own non-hitball related agendas (possessed Jeff, the vice principal, I assume Suzy is never not scheming and the redhead behind Max is totally Issac being all broody.) A house divided cannot dodge.

I was gonna say The Shockodiles have more magical children but Lisa's a witch and an enigma so that probably counts.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Also before we find out all their real names someone with a lot of free time needs to label the picture with a bunch of goofy nicknames for all the characters we don't know yet.

My favorite thing is that I'm pretty sure all these guys have showed up in old pages.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I've noticed that the people in the last selection panel are all tiny versions of people in the actual picture (Anarchy Hoodie & their hiding friend, Beanie kid and Jeff). But their positions on the teams don't fit with Isabel picking Jeff at that point because three are on the Shockodiles and one is on the Burnhounds! ZACK YOU'VE RUINED MY IMMERSION

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Oh hey check out those background characters from chapter 1, still being in the background.

http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=40

The kid in the first panel seems to have joined some sort of Sunglasses Club since we saw him last.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ariong posted:

The kid in the first panel seems to have joined some sort of Sunglasses Club since we saw him last.

Nah, that's someone else. Look at the front of the Shockodiles, right next to Max.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Ariong posted:

No, first panel kid with the blonde Danzig hair is on Shockodile, to the left of Max.

e: beaten like a hubristic neeeeeeerd

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Maduo posted:

There is not a fully rendered character there whose deal I do not want to know.

This so very much. Zack has done a good thing here.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Cody is very cool

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I'd put money on Burnhound, but I'm cheering for Shockodile. This way, I can't lose!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Whitenoise Poster posted:

If Paranatural was an anime it'd be one of the few where it'd be hard to play "Spot the protagonist in the classroom."

Like there is obviously a few really great standouts but ALL these backgroundians show enough personality that I really wouldn't mind getting to know them more over a page or five. There's not a single miss.

Max is probably the simplest design in the room, actually.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

Max is probably the simplest design in the room, actually.

Short hair, t-shirt and pants, sometimes hat. Yep, Max's design is pretty subdued.

Also, Lisa is great. I wonder who she's pointing at; it looked like she might have spotted the VP. Or maybe she's menacing science kid there; that would explain the latter's expression.

Isabel picking Cody second was interesting; I wonder why. I don't recall seeing them really do anything together previously; I wonder if he's some sort of dodgehitball champion or something.

Lastly, wondering how much Isabel not picking Ed is her still being upset with him over abandoning her when she needed it; her expression while making picks and stuff doesn't look like one that's thinking those sorts of thoughts. Maybe she's planning on immediately pegging him with the Golden Switch because she knows he can't/won't dodge it. (This is probably just wishful thinking on my part sadly.)

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

RandallODim posted:

I've noticed that the people in the last selection panel are all tiny versions of people in the actual picture (Anarchy Hoodie & their hiding friend, Beanie kid and Jeff). But their positions on the teams don't fit with Isabel picking Jeff at that point because three are on the Shockodiles and one is on the Burnhounds! ZACK YOU'VE RUINED MY IMMERSION

There's an odd number of kids. Presumably either Anarchy-Sweater-Girl or Glasses-Girl was left over and Johnny and Isabel either rock-paper-scissor'd for who gets one extra player or Isabel gets the extra player by default to balance Johnny getting first pick.

Also, I think the big Burnhounds vs. Shockodiles picture could work pretty well as a poster.

Edit: Also, knowing Isabel, she didn't even realize Ed would treat not getting picked first as a snub and just picked players based on their perceived hitball ability. He's in one of those insecure middleschool moods which assign greater meaning to actions and omissions than are actually there.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

Oh God! :psyboom: