Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I hope the plod handler gets out ok, he's the only one with any actual sense near the silver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wonder if what Duane is seeing is somehow what's actually going on in Alderode right now. Maybe the Gefendur finally decided to get rid of the Ssaelit?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

I wonder if what Duane is seeing is somehow what's actually going on in Alderode right now. Maybe the Gefendur finally decided to get rid of the Ssaelit?

The Ssaelit had their own army and were supposed to be pretty badass. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gefendur could wipe them out... but Alderode's army is currently busy hitting Cresce with everything they got.

Although... hmm. Deploy most of the Ssaelit troops to the front line, then commit genocide on their underdefended brethren? Only snag: Winalils is in on the silver conspiracy and the war appears to tie into it, but he's buddy-buddy with the Ssaelit religious and political elite. He could be a two faced snake I guess, but there's a decent chance that chancellor Brody also ties into the conspiracy somehow and while he's definitely a two faced snake he IS the Ssaelit politicsl elite.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 11, 2015

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Welp, looks like the silver has gone nuclear.

So long Ethelmilk.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I just noticed the background framing is replaced by plain white for Duanes dream sequence pages. Nifty.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
One wouldn't think that the sentence "and then, the world erupted into a geyser of gore" would come up often in conversation, but anything is possible in Ashley Cope's Unsounded.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

reignonyourparade posted:

I think it's not for a civil war it's for an assassination/coup, but yeah the characters who know SOMETHING about it seem to think it's internal Crescean politics.

It's implied that the guy who made the silver, a black tongue named Delicieu, offered it to the Crescian queen as a superweapon against Alderode, which she refused (because it is clearly some totally heinous poo poo.) That refusal, however, did not sit well with a bunch of the nobility in Cresce, who saw it as an opportunity to destroy Alderode once and for all. They instead got involved and are using it as part of an elaborate (but currently non-specific) plan to assassinate/depose the Queen.

The situation is clearly more complicated, though, because Duane is reacting to the silver somehow. Right now the evidence suggests that the black tongue named Bastion Winalils is the guy who is responsible for Duane's condition, and he was in cahoots with Sette's father to send Duane to Stockyard, who was already the guy in charge of smuggling the silver into Cresce (a job that he outsourced to Starfish, and Starfish in turn hired Quigley). Given how the silver's currently acting, it's likely that Duane's weird undead state is somehow linked to the silver. It seems pretty unlikely that Sette's dad just coincidentally got involved with two separate black tongues whose pet projects happen to react to each other.

The problem is, we haven't yet met any character who has the entire story, so this has to be extrapolated from various pieces of dialogue.

Quigley know who made the silver, but not who bought it or what exactly it's going to do: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch08/ch08_27.html

After learning from Quigley that Delicieu made it, Rahm figures out that Delicieu and Winalils are working together. Because Winalils is Aldish, Rahm suspects he's moving the silver into Cresce to launch an attack: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch08/ch08_49.html

He's right about the target but wrong about the motive.

The Sharteshanian gang, led by Nary and managed by Stockyard, don't know who made it (they were hired on by Winalils and do not appear to know about Delicieu) but do know who bought it, since that's who they're giving it to, and by Stockyard's reaction here it's clearly Crescians, and planning to be used on a Crescian target: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch09/ch09_50.html

Who knows about the offer of the silver to the queen? Toma: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch05/ch05_57.html

Since we also generally see some Crescians' deep discontent with their country (all of Mulimar), we can assume that goes higher, especially when the Peaceguard are called out of the city the night before the silver's supposed to come in. So whoever wants it in is high enough up the chain to have that kind of command, which means a very high-ranked Crescian is buying it.

That's assuming Toma is correct when he says the queen refused the sale. The double-agent peaceguard Elan thinks that the queen did buy the silver and is moving it in herself, but the odds are he's wrong because Stockyard is in a position to have more information about the silver's ultimate destination (and he's clearly stating there's a revolution in the works in Cresce.)

Because any of these characters may be mistaken (we had about 7 chapters of the two main characters whose ostensible goal was a total and absolute lie), that can all change if more information is revealed. Toma may be wrong, for instance; the queen may have only publicly refused the sale but accepted it via illicit channels, in which case Stockyard is probably wrong about the ultimate target.

The comic definitely focuses on its main characters and their limited knowledge - you basically need to reread the whole thing to catch the underlying realpolitik, by paying close attention to all the side characters.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Haha, what the gently caress, that bird has tits.

This dream is getting real weird real fast, I don't wanna see any more.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bird's had tits this entire time bro

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah titbird is this whole THING.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Haha, what the gently caress, that bird has tits.

This dream is getting real weird real fast, I don't wanna see any more.

Don't worry, the tits were inside the bird!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Don't worry, the tits were inside the bird!

You've always had the tits, my bird. You've had them all along!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

It's implied that the guy who made the silver, a black tongue named Delicieu, offered it to the Crescian queen as a superweapon against Alderode, which she refused (because it is clearly some totally heinous poo poo.) That refusal, however, did not sit well with a bunch of the nobility in Cresce, who saw it as an opportunity to destroy Alderode once and for all. They instead got involved and are using it as part of an elaborate (but currently non-specific) plan to assassinate/depose the Queen.

The situation is clearly more complicated, though, because Duane is reacting to the silver somehow. Right now the evidence suggests that the black tongue named Bastion Winalils is the guy who is responsible for Duane's condition, and he was in cahoots with Sette's father to send Duane to Stockyard, who was already the guy in charge of smuggling the silver into Cresce (a job that he outsourced to Starfish, and Starfish in turn hired Quigley). Given how the silver's currently acting, it's likely that Duane's weird undead state is somehow linked to the silver. It seems pretty unlikely that Sette's dad just coincidentally got involved with two separate black tongues whose pet projects happen to react to each other.

The problem is, we haven't yet met any character who has the entire story, so this has to be extrapolated from various pieces of dialogue.

Quigley know who made the silver, but not who bought it or what exactly it's going to do: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch08/ch08_27.html

After learning from Quigley that Delicieu made it, Rahm figures out that Delicieu and Winalils are working together. Because Winalils is Aldish, Rahm suspects he's moving the silver into Cresce to launch an attack: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch08/ch08_49.html

The Sharteshanian gang, led by Nary and managed by Stockyard, don't know who made it (they were hired on by Winalils and do not appear to know about Delicieu) but do know who bought it, since that's who they're giving it to, and by Stockyard's reaction here it's clearly Crescians, and planning to be used on a Crescian target: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch09/ch09_50.html

Who knows about the offer of the silver to the queen? Toma: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch05/ch05_57.html

Since we also generally see some Crescians' deep discontent with their country (all of Mulimar), we can assume that goes higher, especially when the Peaceguard are called out of the city the night before the silver's supposed to come in. So whoever wants it in is high enough up the chain to have that kind of command, which means a very high-ranked Crescian is buying it.

That's assuming Toma is correct when he says the queen refused the sale. The double-agent peaceguard Elan thinks that the queen did buy the silver and is moving it in herself, but the odds are he's wrong because Stockyard is in a position to have more information about the silver's ultimate destination (and he's clearly stating there's a revolution in the works in Cresce.)

Because any of these characters may be mistaken (we had about 7 chapters of the two main characters whose ostensible goal was a total and absolute lie), that can all change if more information is revealed. Toma may be wrong, for instance; the queen may have only publicly refused the sale but accepted it via illicit channels, in which case Stockyard is probably wrong about the ultimate target.

The comic definitely focuses on its main characters and their limited knowledge - you basically need to reread the whole thing to catch the underlying realpolitik, by paying close attention to all the side characters.
The impression I always got was that the silver bomb was being placed there to ignite war between Alderode and Cresce, and the the main client seems to be The March (basically Alderode's independence movement). Stockyard's comment says "hire out" their revolution; so I'm thinking the march.

Now that titbird is a thing I have no idea wtf is going on.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I know that Starfish is not the most connected member of the conspiracy, but I still kind of think his exasperated outburst to Toma--"maybe this ain't MEANT for Cresce"--may have something to it. A coup doesn't mean the silver has to be aimed AT the palace, after all. Suppose the silver gets shipped to the front and nukes Alderode's army: now the Palace looks weak (for letting the invasion get this far to begin with), the conspirators can take credit for dealing with the Aldish once and for all, and Cresce just happens to have an already mobilized army that has nothing to do (and takes marching orders from conspiracy higher ups.)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is right on the border so a gigantic reality-destroying nuke effectively engages both countries.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
You know what's odd? Why Alderode and Cresce are so laser-focused on each other when Shartshane is a lawless wilderness of poorly managed city-states and ancient ruins, just waiting to be rolled over and assimilated by either of them. I mean, I'm aware of the ideological differences driving the conflict, but still.

Derp, I had not looked at the map in a LONG rear end TIME and had a much different picture in my head.

Rime fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 15, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I don't quite have a map handy, but isn't Sharteshane on the other side of the continent from them? IIRC, geographically, this is a bit like China and Russia getting into conflict along their borders, where Sharteshane's busy being Spain.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Fabricated posted:

This is right on the border so a gigantic reality-destroying nuke effectively engages both countries.

It's not on alderode's border, it's on cresce's border with one of their client states.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Ulestry, to be specific.

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/world/index.php/Kasslyne

While Sharteshane has a definite criminal class, it's also a dominant naval power and has a lot of heavy manufacturing (the Beadman's products that keep popping up in the background are all Sharteshanian.) So it's not exactly an easy roll.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Wow, dude, excellent job. Was worried I'd need to dig through the archives to pick up the threads myself

Just waiting for the reveal that Delicieu is Quigley's dead wife now (because Ashley)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I've been wondering if it's Cutter.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Murkomania running wild.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Didn't Starfish also give a jab about how the silver may not be on it's way to Cresce after all?

Edit:

I actually wonder one thing. I've got little reason to back it up but...

From what I understand, Cresce is Gefundur. And so is half of Alderode. I know they're of two different sects, but, maybe they're putting aside their differences to team up against the Ssaelit and the Queen?

I wonder that since the latest page talks about civil war gripping Alderode, but then there are Crescian standards.

VictorGrunn fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 25, 2015

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Gotta admit, I'm not sure I'd take advice from her, either.

No offense to any bird-boob-god-demons reading this.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
goddamn.

Anyone remember what exactly the domains of the Lady were?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Always nice to see webcomics actually exploit their medium by adding animation or Flash tricks.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Bloody hell, is Duane getting mind-boned by the tit-crow-God?!?!

This loving comic.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Oh. Literal boning. My mistake.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Unsounded's Khert and K6BD in general: Your leading sources of :lsd:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

oh no he's got duane's torso glowstick

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I love how he just absolutely refuses to give a gently caress.

"Oh, nice bird chick you're talking to/loving there. Yeah, gimme this."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Quigley cares very little for the fate of random goons.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skippy McPants posted:

Quigley cares very little for the fate of random goons.

Matty was worried that Quigley was going to, and I quote, "kill everyone again" when he was locked up. Quigley's response indicated that it was still a possibility.

I wonder if Knock-Me-Down is dead or not. Her head wasn't pulverized like everyone else's, but she definitely doesn't appear to be conscious, at the least.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 8, 2015

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Matty was worried that Quigley was going to, and I quote, "kill everyone again" when he was locked up. Quigley's response indicated that it was still a possibility.

I wonder if Knock-Me-Down is dead or not. Her head wasn't pulverized like everyone else's, but she definitely doesn't appear to be conscious, at the least.

She's fine, or at least not dead. You don't have an establishing shot like that, especially when everyone else in the room is minus their head, unless the character is still alive.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
poo poo. Somehow the gory discretion shot makes it even worse.

Unsounded: Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
"The lid blows off of this next week. Prepare thy britches, kids."

Well it was nice knowing you, whatever this town is called. Next week I can only assume we are going full psychedelic mindfuck, like Chaos invading reality Warhammer style.

Edit: After reviewing the latest page I guess we're already kinda mostly there on that front.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
ahaha, of course the silver is smart enough to start infecting food.

edit: holy poo poo never mind.

Hiveminded fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 23, 2015

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why did everyone ignore the silver growing out from the boat? Even if they weren't thinking it would go off so rapidly, how would the boat manage to sail with tendrils rooted in the building itself? I'm just bothered by the efforts to unblock the passage and not the magic-immune metal.

Also I feel like Dawn's hair is coloured with a pymaric, which I'm sure will turn out fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why did everyone ignore the silver growing out from the boat? Even if they weren't thinking it would go off so rapidly, how would the boat manage to sail with tendrils rooted in the building itself? I'm just bothered by the efforts to unblock the passage and not the magic-immune metal.

Also I feel like Dawn's hair is coloured with a pymaric, which I'm sure will turn out fine.

The reason is that Stockyard just killed the only person in his gang that was any good at risk assessment.