Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

That sounds delicious.

... what do I do with them?

Use a base like mayonnaise & vinegar, or tomato sauce, or broth + soy sauce, and then add from there. Blend them up as is or add some sugar or cornstarch or lemon juice or horseradish or whatever else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ShadowMoo posted:

Got a crockpot for crustmas that I have never used, need some cheap summer crock pot recipes that I can cock then chill and still tastes good.

I'm a proponent of beans, so: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/01/black-bean-soup-toasted-cumin-seed-crema/ but you can skip the cream stuff if you want, totally unnecessary. Load it up with cumin + chipotles en adobo and you can't go wrong.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Drifter posted:

Use a base like mayonnaise & vinegar, or tomato sauce, or broth + soy sauce, and then add from there. Blend them up as is or add some sugar or cornstarch or lemon juice or horseradish or whatever else.

Can you give me an actual RECIPE though? I'm still relatively new to this cooking poo poo; I have no idea how much of each thing to use.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 15, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Can you give me an actual RECIPE though? I'm still relatively new to this cooking poo poo; I have no idea how much of each thing to use.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/caribbean-shrimp-salad-with-lime-vinaigrette
http://www.livestrong.com/article/472954-how-do-i-make-japanese-shrimp-sauce/
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Shrimp-with-Chinese-Lobster-Sauce
Just at random - here're simple ones.

If you're looking to add it to a salad or something and you want the light salad dressing you mentioned, I'd suggest warming up olive oil in a pan and heating some chili pepper, turn the heat off and mix in some garlic and ginger paste as it cools, and then add some soy sauce or lime juice into it, before mixing all of that into some rice vinegar to make that dressing.

As for how much...I don't know. 2 or 3 cloves of minced garlic and maybe a little less of ginger (or 1/4 teaspoon of the powder stuff), uhh...1/2 teaspoon of the pepper and 5 or 6 tablespoons of oil, half that of juice or soy sauce, with the same amount for vinegar? And then just add or remove stuff to your taste.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 15, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Drifter posted:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/caribbean-shrimp-salad-with-lime-vinaigrette
http://www.livestrong.com/article/472954-how-do-i-make-japanese-shrimp-sauce/
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Shrimp-with-Chinese-Lobster-Sauce
Just at random - here're simple ones.

If you're looking to add it to a salad or something and you want the light salad dressing you mentioned, I'd suggest warming up olive oil in a pan and heating some chili pepper, turn the heat off and mix in some garlic and ginger paste as it cools, and then add some soy sauce or lime juice into it, before mixing all of that into some rice vinegar to make that dressing.

As for how much...I don't know. 2 or 3 cloves of minced garlic and maybe a little less of ginger (or 1/4 teaspoon of the powder stuff), uhh...1/2 teaspoon of the pepper and 5 or 6 tablespoons of oil, half that of juice or soy sauce, with the same amount for vinegar? And then just add or remove stuff to your taste.

Thanks! That Jamaican recipe sounds hella tasty. I'm really looking for something simple and quick to make, so I'll probably try that.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Drifter posted:

If you're looking to add it to a salad or something and you want the light salad dressing you mentioned, I'd suggest warming up olive oil in a pan and heating some chili pepper,

I don't know how new you are to cooking but just in case DO THIS WITH THE VENT FAN ON OR A WINDOW OPEN. And do NOT rub your eyes with fingers that have prepped the chilis. Let my beginner mistakes be your lesson. I once accidentally maced my whole house.

\/\/ That too, don't get it too hot. Medium low is a fine temperature. Just be patient when heating the oil. \/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 15, 2015

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Suspect Bucket posted:

I don't know how new you are to cooking but just in case DO THIS WITH THE VENT FAN ON OR A WINDOW OPEN. And do NOT rub your eyes with fingers that have prepped the chilis. Let my beginner mistakes be your lesson. I once accidentally maced my whole house.

This is caused by cooking it on too high a heat. My Sri Lanken flatmate used to do this all the time (and I've done it a few times myself too).

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ignore these people.

Mace your house. Rub your eyes after cutting chillies. GO FOR A PISS WITHOUT WASHING YOUR HANDS FIRST!

IT FEELS GOOD TO BE ALIVE!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I've rubbed my eyes after handling chili peppers before. It is not a good feeling.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

\/\/ That too, don't get it too hot. Medium low is a fine temperature. Just be patient when heating the oil. \/\/

As an aside, soaking chicken in tabasco isn't as good of an idea in practice. I too have cleared out the entire house cooking this stuff. That must be what it feels like to have a tear gas can fired towards you..

But at least the chicken was spicy :haw:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Suspect Bucket posted:

Um I have never had a single ventilation problem when cooking the hottest of chilis or anything

My hands however

There's a reason I bought a box of food prep gloves.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Scientastic posted:

Ignore these people.

Mace your house. Rub your eyes after cutting chillies. GO FOR A PISS WITHOUT WASHING YOUR HANDS FIRST!

IT FEELS GOOD TO BE ALIVE!

And pick your nose!

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Senior Funkenstien posted:

And pick your nose!

WHY NOT? Do what feels right! Or wrong! Everything's fair game! Nothing's sacred! You can even put honey on bread without toasting it first!

Speaking of, I sorta bought a Cornish game hen, thinking my dad would be around to cook it. He canceled the visit, and I'm kinda stumped. Most I know how to cook on my own is eggs, so it's just sitting in my freezer. Mocking me.

So, what's the best way to cook the hen? Should I use the stove or the pressure cooker? How long? What temp? Should I season it? Would it go well with maple syrup? I have way too much maple syrup, in hindsight.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

BattleCattle posted:

WHY NOT? Do what feels right! Or wrong! Everything's fair game! Nothing's sacred! You can even put honey on bread without toasting it first!

Speaking of, I sorta bought a Cornish game hen, thinking my dad would be around to cook it. He canceled the visit, and I'm kinda stumped. Most I know how to cook on my own is eggs, so it's just sitting in my freezer. Mocking me.

So, what's the best way to cook the hen? Should I use the stove or the pressure cooker? How long? What temp? Should I season it? Would it go well with maple syrup? I have way too much maple syrup, in hindsight.

Defrost it, remove any giblets, then roast it for 25 minutes per 500g at about 200°C. Shove garlic and butter under the skin if you like. I wouldn't put chicken with maple syrup, personally. I guess you could roast some carrots with maple syrup for the side, if you desperately want to use maple syrup.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Bollock Monkey posted:

Defrost it, remove any giblets, then roast it for 25 minutes per 500g at about 200°C. Shove garlic and butter under the skin if you like. I wouldn't put chicken with maple syrup, personally. I guess you could roast some carrots with maple syrup for the side, if you desperately want to use maple syrup.

Thanks for the hen tips! I'm also glad to have something to use the syrup on instead of waffles. I barely eat those anymore! Maple-roasted carrots sounds perfect, actually. Any advice on other things I could do with the syrup would be wonderful. I'll finally have my pantry back!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Maple syrup is also good in porridge, on pancakes (of course), for using in the garlic cream used here (that poo poo is SO.loving.GOOD.), for glazing pork with, for roasting other veggies with, such as parsnips, for putting on ice cream...

e: Buzzfeed does maple syrup

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 15, 2015

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

This is PERFECT! Y'all are the best!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm making either mashed sweet potatoes or mashed yams. Can I leave the skins on like with normal potatoes? I ask because I'm lazy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm making either mashed sweet potatoes or mashed yams. Can I leave the skins on like with normal potatoes? I ask because I'm lazy.

Yes. You will lose the perfectly smooth consistency of the mash, but if you're truly that lazy, it will not kill you.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Was there a homemade jerky thread at any point? I thought there was but it's fallen into the archives if so. Anyone have a link handy?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I recall a goon jerky production project being advertised, I don't know about an actual GWS thread.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Of course. The skins are super tasty and I can't understand anyone tossing them except for presentation's sake. Although, I personally very much dislike mashed potatoes that are silky smooth with all the cream and poo poo.

You can also just squeeze the meat out of the skin after you roast it and gobble up the skins and use the meat as your mashy-stuff.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was actually thinking about that. They come out of their skins much more easily than red/yellow potatoes, don't they? I haven't made them before, but my mother used to make yams all the time.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was actually thinking about that. They come out of their skins much more easily than red/yellow potatoes, don't they? I haven't made them before, but my mother used to make yams all the time.

The absolute simplist way is to just slice 'em down the poles and spoon out all the meat, scraping as you go.

I would leave the skin on, personally, but tastes differ.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Drifter posted:

The absolute simplist way is to just slice 'em down the poles and spoon out all the meat, scraping as you go.

I would leave the skin on, personally, but tastes differ.

You do this and then you've got potato skins which are also amazing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A well-roasted sweet potato skin smells and tastes exactly like a toasted marshmallow, hell yeah keep all that in.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Can you make stovetop popcorn without any oil or butter?

I'm going to the store later but I want popcorn sooner.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Drifter posted:

Can you make stovetop popcorn without any oil or butter?

I'm going to the store later but I want popcorn sooner.

I've never tried it personally, but I'm leaning towards "yes". It may take a little bit longer for the kernels to get hot enough to steam themselves inside out.

Beware, I've just woken up, and could be completely wrong.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Do you have any pan spray? You don't need much, but a little oil is much better then dry.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You can always just toss the kernels in a paper bag and nuke email if you wanna avoid oil.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

So, I have to cater a lunch for 20 people for Saturday. I'm not sure exactly how much food to make. I don't want to make too little, but also don't want to create too much work for myself.

It needs to be vegan, mostly gluten free, and good at room temperature. Here's what I was thinking. Pretty uninspired but I'm volunteering my time on this and ALSO have to make a bunch of cookies and appetizers for the same group later in the day, and don't want to spend 2 whole days in the kitchen.

- cold plate of marinated and grilled vegetables, tofu, and olives
- a couple loaves of good crusty bread
- some veggies for dipping (carrot, celery, etc)
- white bean, sage, and artichoke spread
- quinoa and cauliflower salad (cauliflower raw and chopped up in the food processor to make "cauliflower rice", a couple cups of quinoa, a bunch of herbs and lemon, some chickpeas, kind of tabbouleh-ish)
- pasta salad (1lb box of macaroni, veggies, sundried tomato and basil dressing)
- a leafy green salad with a couple kinds of salad dressing

Does that sound like a good amount? I figure if each person takes a half cup of each thing that should be a pretty substantial plate but I don't need to make more than a big bowl of each thing.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Casu Marzu posted:

You can always just toss the kernels in a paper bag and nuke email if you wanna avoid oil.

Or buy an air popper for like 20 bucks.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Plus_Infinity posted:

So, I have to cater a lunch for 20 people for Saturday. I'm not sure exactly how much food to make. I don't want to make too little, but also don't want to create too much work for myself.

It needs to be vegan, mostly gluten free, and good at room temperature. Here's what I was thinking. Pretty uninspired but I'm volunteering my time on this and ALSO have to make a bunch of cookies and appetizers for the same group later in the day, and don't want to spend 2 whole days in the kitchen.

- cold plate of marinated and grilled vegetables, tofu, and olives
- a couple loaves of good crusty bread
- some veggies for dipping (carrot, celery, etc)
- white bean, sage, and artichoke spread
- quinoa and cauliflower salad (cauliflower raw and chopped up in the food processor to make "cauliflower rice", a couple cups of quinoa, a bunch of herbs and lemon, some chickpeas, kind of tabbouleh-ish)
- pasta salad (1lb box of macaroni, veggies, sundried tomato and basil dressing)
- a leafy green salad with a couple kinds of salad dressing

Does that sound like a good amount? I figure if each person takes a half cup of each thing that should be a pretty substantial plate but I don't need to make more than a big bowl of each thing.

Pasta is cheap and filling and easy to prepare - for 20 people I'd make two pounds, not just one.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

The Midniter posted:

Pasta is cheap and filling and easy to prepare - for 20 people I'd make two pounds, not just one.

Yeah, I guess if I make too much and it's pasta it's not that big of a deal. I was just thinking if I make one pound of pasta salad it lasts me and my husband a whole week of lunches, so that's like 14 servings, and 3 or 4 of the people I'm cooking for are gluten free so they wouldn't be eating the pasta at all, so one pound sounded about right. But yeah, better to make too much I guess. Thanks!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

FishBulb posted:

Air poppers rule.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I like do do a vegan gf pasta salad that's based on cold glass noodles, citrus juice, and sliced cucumber, melon and fresh herbs like basil mint cilantro... it's usually pretty popular and has a big wow factor for low effort if you're serving white people that haven't had glass noodles before

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

pile of brown posted:

I like do do a vegan gf pasta salad that's based on cold glass noodles, citrus juice, and sliced cucumber, melon and fresh herbs like basil mint cilantro... it's usually pretty popular and has a big wow factor for low effort if you're serving white people that haven't had glass noodles before

Oh that's a good idea. I make peanut-sesame noodles like this all the time but because I put boatloads of soy sauce in them I didn't even think of adapting it to be gluten free. That's totally doable though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

FishBulb posted:

I got mine for $3 at thrift store, I'd check there

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Shill zone: friends of mine, gr8 people and gr8 gr8 cooks, are starting a really interesting restaurant. GWS might like the looks of it. The have a kickstarter going: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/151012306/apteka-eastern-european-kitchen-bar

Far more worthy than Doobie Dogs IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would, but you said "gr8" and now I hate them by proxy.