Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Anime Curator posted:

Nintendo should add Kirby as a character to Mario Kart 8 and some Kirby Air Ride tracks and vehicles,

This will be the best thing to never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Theta Zero posted:

This will be the best thing to never happen.

They should just turn the game into Nintendo All-Stars Racing. It already kindof is with Link and Animal Crossing characters in it.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Where's Waluigi Pinball :(

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I am so happy to see Neo Bowser City back, easily my fave Mario Kart course ever.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Cat Machine posted:

Nintendo ignores the magic of its best character yet again

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cat Machine posted:

rotting in a garbage can with Wario Stadium 64

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Honestly they should just keep going with the DLC until they've added every previous character, track and course. They have the power to slowly make this into Ultimate Mario Kart. The Omega Kart. Do it, Nintendo. :mad:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Then they wouldn't ever need to make a new Mario Kart game!!!!

But seriously, I would keep paying for more DLC. Too bad the long development time makes this seem kind of impossible.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Then they wouldn't ever need to make a new Mario Kart game!!!!

But seriously, I would keep paying for more DLC. Too bad the long development time makes this seem kind of impossible.

If the first pair of packs sold well, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the kept the DLC team working on another cup or two after this.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

jivjov posted:

If the first pair of packs sold well, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the kept the DLC team working on another cup or two after this.

They take like six months each though, which seems kind of cost-ineffective

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

They could maybe continue the biannual DLC format for a couple more years but yeah that is not very realistic. :sigh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They take like six months each though, which seems kind of cost-ineffective

Do we know for sure that the whole 6 month gap was dev time? They most likely could crank them out faster if they wanted to.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

rotting in a garbage can with Wario Stadium 64

Don't you dare talk poo poo about Waluigi Pinball, the greatest track in all of Mario Kart.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

jivjov posted:

Do we know for sure that the whole 6 month gap was dev time? They most likely could crank them out faster if they wanted to.

I do not want them to.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's only one Mario Kart per console and we probably won't have anything new until like 2017 so it wouldn't surprise me if they did some more DLC to keep people playing

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

codenameFANGIO posted:

I do not want them to.

I don't mean rush it and do a shoddy job; I just don't think it took them the whole 6 months to make each back.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I forgot this was a thread. Have some patch notes:

-9 new Amiibo costumes for your Mii (Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, Olimar, Villager, Wario, Toad, Rosalina, Bowser)

-200CC class! It'll be automatically unlocked for all the multiplayer modes but you'll need to clear the 150cc GP to do the 200cc GP. (If you brake while drifiting in 200cc, sparks will fly off your wheels.)

-You can now brake while drifting with the Wiimote by pressing B+1+2

-You can toggle the on-screen map display when playing with alternate controllers by pressing the minus button (Pro Controller, Classic Controller, Wiimote/Nunchuk)

-You can now toggle CPU players for online custom racers, but only human players count towards the score

-10 new Miiverse stamps

-unspecified bugfixes

They also said the Animal Crossing DLC track will have random seasons during standard play but will be locked to summer during time trials.

Help Im Alive posted:

There's only one Mario Kart per console and we probably won't have anything new until like 2017 so it wouldn't surprise me if they did some more DLC to keep people playing

Nintendo is routinely understaffed on all its console games, I don't know that they can spare the skeleton crew required to keep cranking out DLC forever.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Where does that info come from?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
4gamer, I posted it in the other thread a few hours ago, can't find the link right now.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Baby Park is 7 laps again and Big Blue is one giant course divided into 3 sections like Mount Wario and Rainbow Road 64 according to GameXplain.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah, Big Blue looked like a 3-parter going off how the stage looks like a huge vertical descent without any way to climb back up. That sax is absolutely amazing though. :allears:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

quote:

-You can toggle the on-screen map display when playing with alternate controllers by pressing the minus button (Pro Controller, Classic Controller, Wiimote/Nunchuk)

About loving time. Still super excited for 200cc Baby Park insanity.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S02cjEh6RZA

Big blue is a single-lap course (that isn't super short and lovely) :fap:

Did the announcer shout "Yeah, the final lap!" in Mute City?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Did the announcer shout "Yeah, the final lap!" in Mute City?
No, but hopefully they go back and fix that! I'd like "YEAH! YOU GOT BOOST POWER!" on lap 2 too, please.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

There should be one more DLC pack that's just battle courses plus Dry Bones/Birdo/Bowser Jr (with clown car).

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Kurtofan posted:

loving Ribbon Road and Cheese Land?! gently caress yes.

I am so excited for Cheese Land :pusheen:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The Duck of Death posted:

There should be one more DLC pack that's just battle courses plus Dry Bones/Birdo/Bowser Jr (with clown car).

Plus Waluigi Pinball. :colbert:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kaethela posted:

Plus Waluigi Pinball. :colbert:

yeah.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

Baby Park is 7 laps again and Big Blue is one giant course divided into 3 sections like Mount Wario and Rainbow Road 64 according to GameXplain.

Well, there goes the "every track has 3 laps or sections" consistency that MK8 had going for a while.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Grass Effect posted:

Well, there goes the "every track has 3 laps or sections" consistency that MK8 had going for a while.

A lap in 200cc Baby Park takes like 8 seconds so they kinda had to make it 7 laps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bT94DXYohc

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Big blue was one of my favourite courses in original Fzero. I loved the music.

And I didn't realise the announcement was putting the DLC forward into April, that's amazing!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Grass Effect posted:

Now I'm just angry that N64 Rainbow Road isn't two laps, it made sense if they were going for a "Nah we want everything to just have 3 laps/sections and RR is too long for 3 laps" but this throws that out the window.

Also disappointed at no Waluigi Pinball but I kinda figured it was pretty unlikely given that it was already a retro track in 7.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Now I'm just angry that N64 Rainbow Road isn't two laps, it made sense if they were going for a "Nah we want everything to just have 3 laps/sections and RR is too long for 3 laps" but this throws that out the window.

Also disappointed at no Waluigi Pinball but I kinda figured it was pretty unlikely given that it was already a retro track in 7.

I just want the ability to choose lap numbers myself.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Xad posted:

They should just turn the game into Nintendo All-Stars Racing. It already kindof is with Link and Animal Crossing characters in it.

This game only has one character. Hank Hill, Assistant Manager of Strickland Propane.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Canned Panda posted:

I just want the ability to choose lap numbers myself.

There's really no reason for this not to be in the options menu.

Baby park is pretty lame, both aesthetically speaking and because you only ever make right turns making it super uninteresting to drive on. Item chaos can only take a track so far.

Cool retro tracks I'd still like to see in this game include Riverside Park, Rock Rock Mountain/Alpine Pass, DK Mountain, Wario's Shipyard, Waluigi's Pinball, Koopa Cape, any Bowser Castle so there are two bowser castles in this game, and maybe another "motorcross" style track like Waluigi's Stadium.

Since, given the series history, it will be many years before a mario kart is released for another home console, I see no reason they can't continue doing DLC every 6 months or so. I guess it depends how much of the teams time it takes up, I assume they make this DLC on the side and it doesn't actually take a full 6 months to make 8 tracks and a couple character models.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want some real battle mode tracks before more race tracks. Just Block Fort would do.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

jivjov posted:

I don't mean rush it and do a shoddy job; I just don't think it took them the whole 6 months to make each back.

Nintendo made Majora's Mask in exactly one year. So, they took an existing engine (Ocarina of Time), modified it slightly, reused a lot of art assets, and made a full fledged game.

While Nintendo is putting a lot of polish into the Mario Kart tracks, I really think they could pound them out in 1-2 months if they really wanted to. Majora's Mask was made in a year, and that was a full game with all sorts of text and puzzles. These are race tracks. I'm sure Nintendo has some form of a basic level editor and then they go clean it up.

No way it takes them 6 months to make 8 tracks; especially considering a lot of the tracks are based on stuff that already exists. The core game engine is there; these are just extra "levels."

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Doesn't it make more sense to spread them out anyways? If all the DLC had been released in the first few months there'd probably be a lot less people playing now

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

loving Ribbon Road and Cheese Land?! gently caress yes.

Seconded. I was hoping one would make it into these packs and I'm stoked we got both. Now they just need to remake Sunset Wilds...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Help Im Alive posted:

Doesn't it make more sense to spread them out anyways? If all the DLC had been released in the first few months there'd probably be a lot less people playing now

Yeah, this is almost certainly why the packs were put out this far apart. Mario Kart is an evergreen title; it would get decent sales and a decent player base pretty much forever...but with a DLC pack on the horizon, suddenly there's people actively talking about the game, actively hyping it up.

• Locked thread