Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Out of the 5 cats I've had throughout my life, I have never once seen this. This is on my youngest of two kittens, age 5 months. Normal? He's eating just fine (like a little food vacuum) and doesn't seem to be bothered by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

He's becoming a cat vampire, protect your neck.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sea Pancake posted:

If you can't afford to buy canned, you can do dry. Keep in mind that in order to turn moist, tasty meat into kibble you need fillers. Most commonly, corn or wheat. These aren't there for nutrition, but for texture. The less fillers the better. Gluten free food is trendy but my cats get grain free Merrick because corn is pretty nutritionally devoid for cats so why feed it? Look for something with high protein and fat and remember that something like nine lives, meow mix, or whiskas is pretty much meat flavored corn clumps and is like feeding your cat mcdonalds- they'll live, but there are better options.

Scientifically, this is bullshit. You're relying on a lot of emotional hand-waving to make assertions that are not backed up by any actual facts whatsoever.

House cats have adapted to vegetation in their diets - their intestines are substantially longer than those of wild cats due to having been scavengers of human scraps for so long and ingesting substantial amounts of grain. "Obligate carnivore" does not mean it's obligated to ingest only protein; it simply means it can make its own glucose as needed when its food has insufficient amounts. Just like every other animal, their actual cellular machinery runs on glucose. Cats handle carbohydrates just fine up to a certain level, which has been well known for many decades.

Any cat food labeled "nutritionally complete" will have all the nutrition your cat needs, even Nine Lives and Purina. "Grain free" foods offer no benefit to your cat whatsoever unless your cat has a specific medical issue (we have one that is allergic to corn and pork, so we have to be careful with ingredients).

Buy the cheapest food your cat likes and can tolerate well. Paying extra for fancy formulations does nothing for the cat whatsoever - it's for the emotional benefit of the owners only.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

Protocol7 posted:

Out of the 5 cats I've had throughout my life, I have never once seen this. This is on my youngest of two kittens, age 5 months. Normal? He's eating just fine (like a little food vacuum) and doesn't seem to be bothered by it.

That's pretty common in cats, it just means that his baby teeth haven't fallen out yet. Usually they fall out by themselves, although from what I've read they need to be removed in rare cases.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

It looks like his milk teeth haven't fallen out like they should? I think it's something you should talk to your vet about, because milk teeth aren't designed to be permanent and if they refuse to fall out on their own, they probably want removing.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

This was discussed like two pages ago

Dienes posted:

Tigh had some serious double-fangs going on for a while as a kitten. We called the vet, who said to give them 2 weeks to work their way out and if they either didn't come out, looked inflamed, or if he had any behavioral changes bring him in. 13 days later they both fell out and he was fine.

I'd probably call in the morning to check but he's probably fine.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

RE : Litter.

I like World's Best Cat Litter because it's flushable, but the poo poo doesn't stay clumped very well. It likes to disintegrate when scooping which makes me wonder if it's leaving urine-scented litter behind that makes my cat not like the litterbox.

Clay poo poo seems to stay clumped when scooping but isn't flushable. I like flushable.

What do? Is there a better scoop for WBCL that keeps the clumps more clumped while I'm sifting out the unused litter?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I recently switched from World's Best to Blue Buffalo's walnut litter. In my opinion the BB clumps a bit better, and a few google searches say it is apparently also flushable (though I don't flush it and can't speak to the truth of that).

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Luther was rocking double double canines for a while, too. Didn't realize until the little turd tackled my pants leg à la lion-on-gazelle, gave me a twisting bite move, then rocketed away like he'd been stung. I looked down and saw a tiny gleaming babby fang on the just-vacuumed rug. Checked his mouth and saw that the other side's canine tooth still had a friend. Checked him again a few days later and the extra tooth was gone.

Still got that dropped toof. I show it to him sometimes and remind him that I know where I can find more.

Then he bites me.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Deteriorata posted:

Scientifically, this is bullshit. You're relying on a lot of emotional hand-waving to make assertions that are not backed up by any actual facts whatsoever.

House cats have adapted to vegetation in their diets - their intestines are substantially longer than those of wild cats due to having been scavengers of human scraps for so long and ingesting substantial amounts of grain. "Obligate carnivore" does not mean it's obligated to ingest only protein; it simply means it can make its own glucose as needed when its food has insufficient amounts. Just like every other animal, their actual cellular machinery runs on glucose. Cats handle carbohydrates just fine up to a certain level, which has been well known for many decades.

Any cat food labeled "nutritionally complete" will have all the nutrition your cat needs, even Nine Lives and Purina. "Grain free" foods offer no benefit to your cat whatsoever unless your cat has a specific medical issue (we have one that is allergic to corn and pork, so we have to be careful with ingredients).

Buy the cheapest food your cat likes and can tolerate well. Paying extra for fancy formulations does nothing for the cat whatsoever - it's for the emotional benefit of the owners only.

Thanks for this post - I generally stick with Purina for indoor cats on dry and fancy feast gravy lovers (also Purina).

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

:rolleyes: im tired of this argument and so is everyone but do your own research and talk to your veterinarian re: nutrition.

Edit: I heard this thread is good http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549663

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CompactFanny posted:

:rolleyes: im tired of this argument and so is everyone but do your own research and talk to your veterinarian re: nutrition.

Edit: I heard this thread is good http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549663

The fact that every vet in the country is not swamped daily with cats suffering from nutritional deficiencies is pretty good evidence that most of what is posted about cat food in this thread is bullshit.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Lost my cat today :smith: Never did teach her to clean her butt better.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I spoke too soon about the cat being fooled by the pill in the cream cheese. Today, she ate the cream cheese and spat the pill out. I hope this is just a one time thing.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
My cat is fat, and I blame myself but now I've created a monster.

I bought a auto-feeder to get him on a schedule and to portion it out (1/4 cup a day, 12 hrs apart) but he is always meowing for more and has started to eat the dogs food which is out all the time because she is a self-feeder.

What can I do :( Feeding the dog only at specific times didn't really work because she would leave everything in the bowl until she was ready to eat which left it available for the cat to munch on. I could do 1/4 cup 3 times a day (8 hours apart) and that might help but thats 3/4 cup of food which is a bit much

He's currently eating
Hill's Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin food which I started him on last week, before it was Hills Science Diet Optimal Care Adult Cat food.

Random background:

Initially when I got him I was scared and concerned because he was throwing everything he ate up for like 3 weeks but it's normal now. This is what probably led me to feed him more then he should though.
He doesn't eat canned food, he just licks the liquid a couple times then ignores it
He doesn't eat cat treats, just sniffs them and ignores
Only other food he seems to like (besides the kibble) it ham

When he's really hungry he starts clawing at things and since I've gotten the auto-feeder he's woken me up at 4am with random loud non-stop meowing and scratching because he's hungry

Going to contact the vet and see what they say.. let him eat the dog food, or just feed him a bit more.. of see if theres other issues.

He's a very special cat :|

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Torpor posted:

That sucks. I'm sorry about your cat.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Torpor posted:

Sorry for your loss. Got any pictures for us to remember her by?

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
https://youtu.be/vXHjS4OKTyo?t=3m53s
A segment of Conan I found very funny, especially if you have a bit of a love-hate relationship with your cat.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Deteriorata posted:

The fact that every vet in the country is not swamped daily with cats suffering from nutritional deficiencies is pretty good evidence that most of what is posted about cat food in this thread is bullshit.

But we do see a lot of fat cats and diabetics...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And pee pee problems from food. :(

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I only care about pet nutrition in the first place because we had a fat cat and a friend had a fat diabetic cat that had to be fed at twelve hour intervals and injected an hour after feeding. Fuuuck that.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Braki posted:

But we do see a lot of fat cats and diabetics...

Not to mention the fact that people who don't want to spend much on food probably also won't want to spend a bunch of money on vet visits for stuff like flaky skin/bad poops/weird behavior, which might not seem like big enough deals for that, but can point to bad nutrition. I won't argue that any food on the shelf isn't going to actively kill a cat and will likely suffice, but not all pet owners are satisfied with "good enough" and prefer to put their minds at ease with food whose ingredients better reflect a carnivore's needs.

Sea Pancake
Dec 2, 2013

Dalael posted:

drat. I did not know about Whiskas. I actually thought it was a good brand considering its more expensive than what is usually considered cheap brands. I guess I've been paying for the name more than anything else?

A good litmus test is to look at the first few ingredients on the bag. Ingredients are ordered by weight so if it's listed among the first five, there's a lot in there. So if corn or another filler are in the product it's not a huge deal, but if corn is the #2 ingredient, it's probably not a good choice.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

Cats often like cheap food because they seem to add more flavour enhancers to it maybe? I've transitioned my older cat to good kibble (Frank's Pro Gold which a breeder recommended to me, pretty much the best dry food I can get in my country) but she absolutely refuses to eat expensive wet food while enjoying Whiskas. Fortunately my kitten has eaten it for her :haw:

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 16, 2015

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

khy posted:

RE : Litter.

I like World's Best Cat Litter because it's flushable, but the poo poo doesn't stay clumped very well. It likes to disintegrate when scooping which makes me wonder if it's leaving urine-scented litter behind that makes my cat not like the litterbox.

Clay poo poo seems to stay clumped when scooping but isn't flushable. I like flushable.

What do? Is there a better scoop for WBCL that keeps the clumps more clumped while I'm sifting out the unused litter?

I've only ever used wood pellets just like the SPCA/shelters here use, honestly I don't even know why you would use anything else unless your cat is picky. I've only ever gotten cats from shelters that use it though so there is no transition.

It's $5 for a 40lb bag that will fill 3x litter boxes for 2 weeks ( each box changed once every 6-7 days ). The wood pellets disintegrate in water so you scoop the poop & maybe few pellets and flush them. Similarly the pee just turns the pellets below it into sawdust as it gets absorbed and falls down to the bottom of the box when it's dry. It's cheap, there is no wasted litter, and it's flushable.

"sand" litter is just nasty, everyone who I've seen that has it has a loving mess everywhere around the litter box and/or has to have a separate "skirt" to catch all the litter from when the cat hops out. Use wood!

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

TollTheHounds posted:

I've only ever used wood pellets just like the SPCA/shelters here use, honestly I don't even know why you would use anything else unless your cat is picky. I've only ever gotten cats from shelters that use it though so there is no transition.

I've tried wood litter and the sawdust looks pretty nasty, it covers all the floor of the litterbox in a layer, I'd rather have the silica where I can see where the pee is. Also I don't get people who like clumpy litter, you must have really short haired cats, I have a Persian/Syberian hybrid and every time I tried clumping litter she would have her hind paws covered in litter and crap. My girlfriend has nicknamed it "Shitpaws" :haw:

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
Tali turns 1 today!

I've probably posted this picture before, but she still doesn't totally understand how her bed works.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
A litter of kittens from 3 days to 1 week old. HD video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxeu68kxANo

Cuuuuuuuuute

khy
Aug 15, 2005

SO!

So.

Jade, my cat, is no longer with me. Which is not to say that she's dead. She's at the kitty hospital. Becoming a radioactive cat.

She's going to be there for like 10 days which means I am going to be LONELY for the next week and a half.

Please cheer me up with cat and kitten pictures.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

khy posted:

SO!

So.

Jade, my cat, is no longer with me. Which is not to say that she's dead. She's at the kitty hospital. Becoming a radioactive cat.

She's going to be there for like 10 days which means I am going to be LONELY for the next week and a half.

Please cheer me up with cat and kitten pictures.

Welcome to the hyperthyroid cat club!

Here's mine.

That tail tip is always curled. She never holds it straight at any time. It's not broken, and she can curl it both ways! Also, her tail is strong like a club. Being struck by it is actually startling.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Feel cheered by these whiskers

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Here's two of mine & one of a friends :3:

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Oh, god. The AMAZEBALLS look on grey cat is incredible. One of Luther's favorite toys is a long piece of plastic strapping from the packaging of a cabinet I ordered. Crackle Chutes rule and so does putting things on reclining cats.

Arriviste fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 17, 2015

Dr qq
Apr 9, 2015

by Ralp
hi my cat doesnt understand that covering his poop in litter is the way to go and instead scratches at the sides of the litterbox and the wall immediately adjacent while getting madder and madder that his poop stinks. what the hell?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

xie posted:

Here's two of mine & one of a friends :3:

Gots to put the 20 on top to make it look more ballin

Arriviste posted:

Oh, god. The AMAZEBALLS look on grey cat is incredible.
You are in luck, my friend. That is how Bucket looks 2/3 of the time.

Dr qq
Apr 9, 2015

by Ralp
do i need to post a pic of my cat for cat advice

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dr qq posted:

do i need to post a pic of my cat for cat advice

errrr... let's go with yes. why not.

:jiggled:

Dr qq
Apr 9, 2015

by Ralp

Dr qq posted:

hi my cat doesnt understand that covering his poop in litter is the way to go and instead scratches at the sides of the litterbox and the wall immediately adjacent while getting madder and madder that his poop stinks. what the hell?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cats do that. Their instincts don't include boxes to poop in. They're programmed to dig and don't understand there may not be dirt where they're digging. You could try a bigger box, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I used to use a couple of top entry boxes. One wouldnt bury his poops, and the other wasnt peeing enough. I switched over to larger pans like the one linked and there's been no problem since.

http://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/petmate-stay-fresh-hi-back-pan-large-pearl-tan-pearl-silver-p-23469