Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Poil posted:

Maybe aggressive or defensive formations? More or less damage at the expense of lower or higher survivability? Doubt it's anything more advanced than that.
Whatever it is it's probably going to suck rear end and not fix a drat thing. I'm also expecting AP dive bombers to somehow be even worse than the dive bombers we have now.

Time to go play my Ranger some more because I hate myself I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

FINALLY

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/

I had to buy my way into the closed beta, but it's gonna be worth it. I'm tired of seeing this game and not playing it.

So apparently I also bought my way into this beta without knowing I was doing it. Now, if only I wasn't working 70 hours per week so I could actually try it after the download finishes.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Kitakami is made up entirely of weakpoints. It was designed with the idea that it would never be shot at, because the super long-range torpedoes meant it could shoot from well outside of gunnery range. That turned out not to be the case thanks to airstrikes and radar-directed gunnery, so it was never deployed in its intended role.

I ran into a Kitakami+2 Fubuki platoon today. There was just this permanent cloud of smoke in the 8-line of North machine-gunning torpedoes in all directions. It was some Serious poo poo.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Pubbies who bought the Kitakami are so mad and bad about it. 10km range is perfectly okay for torpedoes, even if you're a fatass destroyer like the Kita. If you're smart about it, you can lay down torp walls that are totally inescapable, but instead I always see pubbies throw 15 torpedoes aimed at the same rock.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
That Atlanta....it's a fun ship...

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Bought the Soviet Premium destroyer and then got the re-badged Soviet Omaha class and holy poo poo! Playing only IJN, I've neglected the entire US inventory at this point, so any online talk just slid past my eyeballs as I wasn't interested - are the other US Cruisers as good / similar gun-wise?

Also, the hue and cry from the masses on the WoWS forums about not being a special snowflake anymore is amazing. A few weeks into the game and I already want to remove the chat box too.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Bought the Soviet Premium destroyer and then got the re-badged Soviet Omaha class and holy poo poo! Playing only IJN, I've neglected the entire US inventory at this point, so any online talk just slid past my eyeballs as I wasn't interested - are the other US Cruisers as good / similar gun-wise?

Also, the hue and cry from the masses on the WoWS forums about not being a special snowflake anymore is amazing. A few weeks into the game and I already want to remove the chat box too.

Yes, US cruisers have really good guns. Good guns and generally tough is their thing.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Got my first cruiser captain to Commodore and a +4 level skill. I'm kind of torn between the increased AA / secondary range skill and the pyromania skill.

What's the base chance of setting things on fire? 5%, so the 5% upgrade doubles it?

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Sweet, sweet fire for the enemy is the only answer.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

MoraleHazard posted:

Got my first cruiser captain to Commodore and a +4 level skill. I'm kind of torn between the increased AA / secondary range skill and the pyromania skill.

What's the base chance of setting things on fire? 5%, so the 5% upgrade doubles it?

Get the AA upgrade first. The level 5 skills aren't really worth it for cruisers right now imo, so you can get Pyromania after.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

Depends on shell, so it varies a bit from ship to ship and caliber to caliber. Roughly:

127 mm 5%
152 mm 10%
203 mm 15%
360 mm 25%
410 mm 30%
460 mm 35%

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Speaking of the chat box, what does 'poi poi poi' mean?

Edit: Also, is there a gooncensus on the best lines? I'm thinking I'd like American cruisers and Japanese battleships. And I will play anything Russian in anticipation of the bias to come. I'm in no special hurry to rush up tiers, but I'd like to at least get to some really nice ships before progress gets wiped.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 15, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

It means they're proud of loving their pillows.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

xthetenth posted:

It means they're proud of loving their pillows.

Oh jesus I just googled it. Of course it had to be anime.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Edit: Also, is there a gooncensus on the best lines? I'm thinking I'd like American cruisers and Japanese battleships. And I will play anything Russian in anticipation of the bias to come. I'm in no special hurry to rush up tiers, but I'd like to at least get to some really nice ships before progress gets wiped.

Getting to tier 5 is pretty easy because of the credit and xp bonus. There are some great ships there.

The Minekaze is probably the best Japanese destroyer other than the tier 10. It's very fast, and has 3 sets of 2 torpedoes, which is great. The IJN destroyer line becomes worthless from here on out.

The Kongo is fast and fun and the best battleship in the game. All other battleships fall short of the Kongo. I guess the Fuso is ok.

The Omaha is a soft light cruiser with great firing arcs and a lot of guns. I think the Cleveland is sluggish and undergunned, but it shoots a lot and a lot of shells.

But getting to tier 7 starts to be a little grindy. I think Japanese cruisers are perfectly fine, but they're huge and fragile. American destroyers are mainly destroyer hunters that can prey on cruisers sometimes. Carriers are an acquired taste, much like crystal meth.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Sweet, sweet fire for the enemy is the only answer.

So say we all..

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Insert name here posted:

Whatever it is it's probably going to suck rear end and not fix a drat thing. I'm also expecting AP dive bombers to somehow be even worse than the dive bombers we have now.
Well yes of course. I mostly use my dive bombers for the chance to start a fire and given their pitiful damage I doubt that they'd be useful even if the AP did four times the damage.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sitting in the TS lobby, someone enable my powers!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Poil posted:

Well yes of course. I mostly use my dive bombers for the chance to start a fire and given their pitiful damage I doubt that they'd be useful even if the AP did four times the damage.

I saw somebody one-shot a destroyer with their Dive Bombers, and both of them were surprised. They might get decent, although unavoidable damage seems unbalanced.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
It's not even guaranteed though; I've seen DBs not even under AA/fighter attack miss a ship completely enough times from both the giving and receiving end to know better. :geno:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I saw somebody one-shot a destroyer with their Dive Bombers, and both of them were surprised. They might get decent, although unavoidable damage seems unbalanced.
That's amazing. I've managed to severely hurt a destroyer but it's like one chance in fifty to do so. And about one chance in five that not a single bomb will hit. Possibly around one chance in ten or twenty that they'll miss a stationary carrier or battleship.

Speaking of that, I spotted a juicy battleship all alone and suddenly noticed it wasn't actually moving at all. Several seconds later it was still not so I knew it was safe to force feed it some manual torps even with my abysmal aiming skills. Weird thing is that given its position and the direction it was facing it wasn't someone who went afk at the start.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Poil posted:

Speaking of that, I spotted a juicy battleship all alone and suddenly noticed it wasn't actually moving at all. Several seconds later it was still not so I knew it was safe to force feed it some manual torps even with my abysmal aiming skills. Weird thing is that given its position and the direction it was facing it wasn't someone who went afk at the start.

I've seen this (and been that person). Usually it's someone whose connection dropped in mid-battle.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Poil posted:

That's amazing. I've managed to severely hurt a destroyer but it's like one chance in fifty to do so. And about one chance in five that not a single bomb will hit. Possibly around one chance in ten or twenty that they'll miss a stationary carrier or battleship.

If your game crashes or your connection drops your ship comes to a dead stop so I'm guessing that.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

https://www.facebook.com/flodbergshipmodels?fref=photo

Guy has made a very impressive model of Yamato

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Burt posted:

https://www.facebook.com/flodbergshipmodels?fref=photo

Guy has made a very impressive model of Yamato

His water is fantastic.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Had a pretty decent game in my Myoko earlier. 500k creds and 7k xp, Then the game or two after some cheap destroyer tried hitching a ride on the back of my Myoko.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

The Locator posted:

Sitting in the TS lobby, someone enable my powers!

FFS guys if you see someone in the lobby please take ten seconds to see if they are a Goon and give them permissions please? Everyone has the permission level to grant access from the Playhouse channel..

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks Demon, and Distracted, who both gave me access at about the same time while I was away watching a movie.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
NP. I dragged you down to botes lobby.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

grrarg posted:

With the 5 free ship slots from spaceships, I'm looking forward to rebuying a Wakatake, Kuma, and Omaha tommorrow to beat up on new people. People love the St. Louis and Cleveland, but Omaha is my favorite US cruiser. 8x1 and 2x2 main guns means it has more guns than the St. Louis plus it can go 34 knots plus it has 5.5km range torpedoes. So much fun.

The only bad part about the Omaha is facing Clevelands in it.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Pubbie gave me a lecture on how to play boats after I rammed his Kongo with my Cleveland (hint: Ramming is not playing right). I told him his lesson was to try not to let ships ram him.

Also my stats are better :smug:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Aww yiss.

My first aimbot accusation. :haw:

Waited until the pubbie in his Farragut had his turn point right at me, fired a full salvo in front and nuked him instantly. The whining was glorious and turned into a full-scale chat war over the aim mod.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
"Aimbot means you are hard to hit so I use an unfair advantage when the reality is you loving suck hot donkey balls."

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Just remind them that the aimbot is legal, it makes them furious beyond measure

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I was playing last night and watched as a low-tier BB (I can't remember the class) let three destroyers pepper and torpedo him from ranges of 3-5km while he was focusing all his attention on a cruiser 8km away to his flank.

When I asked him why the gently caress he wasn't alpha'ing - or even *shooting* at the destroyers at point blank range, he answers:

"I can't hit destroyers in a battleship."

So yeah, don't even try. Sure. gently caress.

Also, I've started playing this again ever since fishing for the three-ship package and buying a Murmansk with the gold. I'm grinding my way up personal ranks before I start grinding the ships I already played in the closed alpha so I'm able to start with captains and upgrades. Good idea or bad idea? I'm making good credits and I know enough about the game and how to play it that I'm not a liability.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I was playing last night and watched as a low-tier BB (I can't remember the class) let three destroyers pepper and torpedo him from ranges of 3-5km while he was focusing all his attention on a cruiser 8km away to his flank.

When I asked him why the gently caress he wasn't alpha'ing - or even *shooting* at the destroyers at point blank range, he answers:

"I can't hit destroyers in a battleship."

So yeah, don't even try. Sure. gently caress.

Also, I've started playing this again ever since fishing for the three-ship package and buying a Murmansk with the gold. I'm grinding my way up personal ranks before I start grinding the ships I already played in the closed alpha so I'm able to start with captains and upgrades. Good idea or bad idea? I'm making good credits and I know enough about the game and how to play it that I'm not a liability.

The low tier battleships are either terrible or have very little turrets.

Destroyers at 5km are hard to correctly damage, because your shells just sail above their important hitboxes. Meanwhile, cruisers at 8km are citadel city.

The real mistake is letting destroyers get so drat close to you because they easily torpedo battleships at 5km and then move on.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Vengarr posted:

I ran into a Kitakami+2 Fubuki platoon today. There was just this permanent cloud of smoke in the 8-line of North machine-gunning torpedoes in all directions. It was some Serious poo poo.

:allears:

Also I don't understand the furious sperging over the aim mod. Given enough time in a ship, judging lead becomes second nature. Ask the Yamato I slammed for 46k damage in one salvo from my Amagi yesterday.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

rossmum posted:

:allears:

Also I don't understand the furious sperging over the aim mod. Given enough time in a ship, judging lead becomes second nature. Ask the Yamato I slammed for 46k damage in one salvo from my Amagi yesterday.

Playing enough for it the lead time to be second nature is an acquired skill. Modifying the game to tell you where to point is not. If they included it by default (like the torpedo lead indicator) I doubt people would be bothered, because then at least everybody is playing under the same rules.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Zaodai posted:

Playing enough for it the lead time to be second nature is an acquired skill. Modifying the game to tell you where to point is not. If they included it by default (like the torpedo lead indicator) I doubt people would be bothered, because then at least everybody is playing under the same rules.

It *should* be included up to ~T5/6 as a training feature that can be toggled. It'd serve two purposes - it'd keep pubbies playing in T5/T6, and as a teaching tool. If you're in a T7 ship (including premiums), you should have that 'second nature' thing down by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Another huge match in the Iwaki. This thing is stupid and I hope it never, ever gets nerfed.