Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Lexicon posted:

NYC or Seattle would be my pick. I'd take SF over Toronto (i.e. Chicago weather with LA traffic at NYC prices) in a heartbeat though.

There's an idea. I wonder if Boeing in Seattle will take a Bombardier employee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Kraftwerk posted:

There's an idea. I wonder if Boeing in Seattle will take a Bombardier employee.

Give it a try. Chicago too.

I heard Winnipeg is a hotbed of aerospace. No joke. Something about that place is drawing a lot of drone engineering. I don't know if it's bullshit though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sitchensis posted:

If I had the opportunity to move to San Francisco from Toronto for the same job, would you guys recommend it?

It all depends if you get paid big bucks, cost of living in the Bay Area has really exploded over the last decade.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

etalian posted:

It all depends if you get paid big bucks, cost of living in the Bay Area has really exploded over the last decade.

Nah, it's worth it even if you don't save any money. The exposure to a real tech scene is invaluable for anyone's career. Canadian tech experience is a loving joke.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

Nah, it's worth it even if you don't save any money. The exposure to a real tech scene is invaluable for anyone's career. Canadian tech experience is a loving joke.

Not to mention it will make you appreciate hit show Silicon Valley even more.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

There are still plenty of lucrative $80-100+/h contracts here for people with the right skills. Even with generic skills you can easily do $60+/h incorporated so I'm not sure if you have a different perspective of wealth generation as everyone else.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

jm20 posted:

There are still plenty of lucrative $80-100+/h contracts here for people with the right skills. Even with generic skills you can easily do $60+/h incorporated so I'm not sure if you have a different perspective of wealth generation as everyone else.

CI is a techie so he probably sees the Bay Area as a promised land.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

etalian posted:

CI is a techie so he probably sees the Bay Area as a promised land.

How dare he!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
someone post san francisco rent increase letter.jpg TIA

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

someone post san francisco rent increase letter.jpg TIA

On the bright side the landlord got caught by the city doing construction without permits, when he tried to do the home renovation to get rid of renter trick.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Here's another fact that is gonna rock your sjw world: those hong Kong Chinese that came to Vancouver in the 90s mostly all went back to HK because the job market in Canada is so terrible. That's right, a city state with more unaffordable real estate and a lousy social safety net is more attractive.

But I guess they'll never know the joys of playing take top games in a cafe on a dark cold rainy day :qq:

This is true of the majority of the people from Hong Kong/Taiwan that I grew up with. I went to high school, undergrad, and grad school in BC and basically anyone with the opportunity to has since left. The only highly skilled professionals that stayed were doctors.

Lexicon posted:

San Francisco is great, but I lived there from 2007-2009 and its only gotten way more expensive and even more overly-techy since then. I don't think I'd move back, unless it was a job that I really couldn't turn down. You're talking $3k+ monthly rent for a lovely apartment at this point.

NYC or Seattle would be my pick. I'd take SF over Toronto (i.e. Chicago weather with LA traffic at NYC prices) in a heartbeat though.

I don't really understand the appeal of NYC as a tech destination, SF pays more and is basically the same CoL (3k+ is a little overblown, you can live somewhere perfectly fine for 2000-2500 if you're willing to look a bit. I pay just under 3k for a 600 sq ft studio in a ~super luxury~ building). There's also a lot more opportunity career-wise.

Seattle is definitely the sweet spot for income versus CoL, about 90% of the salary, 60% of the CoL, no state taxes, and actual affordable real estate. Plus you don't need to live in fear that non-techy residents will revolt against you some day in the not-too-distant future.

etalian posted:

On the bright side the landlord got caught by the city doing construction without permits, when he tried to do the home renovation to get rid of renter trick.

Hard for me to cry any tears about someone getting way below market rent through rent control and then turning around and renting it out on Airbnb.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vancouver is hilarious since it has no jobs but has SF housing price ridiculous.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

blah_blah posted:

Hard for me to cry any tears about someone getting way below market rent through rent control and then turning around and renting it out on Airbnb.

Any proof for that or is this one if those strawmen we've been seeing so much lately?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Ceciltron posted:

Any proof for that or is this one if those strawmen we've been seeing so much lately?

Takes about 2 seconds to find a link: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...bernal-heights/

Also http://blog.sfgate.com/ontheblock/2015/03/17/bernal-heights-tenant-with-huge-rent-increase-addresses-airbnb-situation/

If this was Vancouver I'm sure CI would have some choice words for this "Chinese medicine practitioner who treats cancer patients" arbitraging rent control laws.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 15, 2015

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
We once hired a traditional chinese medicine student as an intern, she told one of our other interns that TCM could absolutely cure his fathers metastasized cancer. :allears:

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Rime posted:

We once hired a traditional chinese medicine student as an intern, she told one of our other interns that TCM could absolutely cure his fathers metastasized cancer. :allears:

From the article!

quote:

“I live hand to mouth,” “I’m an acupuncturist and treat cancer patients and the reality is that they often die from their disease. I’m always having to find new patients. January and February are always slow months for my business. I did Airbnb to make ends meet.”

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
My internal urges to be a vindictive rear end in a top hat and the urge to be a good person who doesn't want to see anyone starve or go homeless are fighting again. Thanks for that.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

blah_blah posted:

Takes about 2 seconds to find a link: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...bernal-heights/

Also http://blog.sfgate.com/ontheblock/2015/03/17/bernal-heights-tenant-with-huge-rent-increase-addresses-airbnb-situation/

If this was Vancouver I'm sure CI would have some choice words for this "Chinese medicine practitioner who treats cancer patients" arbitraging rent control laws.

Jesus loving christ, $2000/mo was the rent-controlled price for that shitheap?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

sitchensis posted:

If I had the opportunity to move to San Francisco from Toronto for the same job, would you guys recommend it?

Sure. Depends where in the Bay Area. Commuting to downtown SF isn't bad, you got ferries and bart. Anywhere else sorta stinks commute wise.

I worked for Lucasfilm and lived in Marin county and carpooled to work from san rafeal, the commute was around 30 minutes ( unless you are in Novato the commute doubles at that bottleneck). I managed to get a 2 bedroom townhouse with 2 parking spots for 1850/mo. After I moved out it went up to 2000 still not a bad deal. That being said SF itself you are looking at 3k for a studio.

If bart is an option you can go out to the burbs or Oakland and bart it in to downtown. If you are in the valley, then there's more options unless you wanna do the Google bus thing by reverse commuting from SF to mountain view or whatever .

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

ChairMaster posted:

The only good countries are the ones that are so far north that they get like no daylight in the winter and it's cold all year round, who would want to live in those ones ever? Maybe Denmark is okay but I doubt it.

Pretty much everywhere in the world sucks pretty hard, there's no getting away from it.

This is bit of a myth. The climate in Northern Europe (let's say from the Baltics to the southern parts of Scandinavia) can be very pleasant in the summer. We have white nights, temperature around 20-25 degrees, we are near the sea. When it's nice, it's REALLY mild and pleasant, when it's rainy and cold (for example due to El Nino), then it's cold and rainy in a lot of places. Winters have been really warm as well in the last few years. Climate warming is making Northern Europe a better place to live, one of the few places on the planet where it's true probably.

Kraftwerk posted:

The benefit of living in European countries is more than just economic. Way friendlier and much more attractive women are pretty common compared to a place like Toronto. I suppose if you're female the same applies to the men too, minus any men located East of Poland.

It's pretty amusing coming back from Europe to see frumpy Toronto girls thinking they're hot poo poo.

If you like pretty girls you should move to my home country, Estonia. We are the #1 country in the world for fashion models per capita, winning by a landslide compared to countries that are further down the list. Seven out of the top 10 countries are located in the Baltics and Scandinavia, by the way (1. Estonia, 2. Iceland, 3, Lithuania, 4. Denmark, 5. Latvia, 6. Sweden, 9. Norway). The top 6 is ALL scandi/EE. Canada is nowhere to be found, strangely enough.

OhYeah fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 15, 2015

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

OhYeah posted:

This is bit of a myth. The climate in Northern Europe (let's say from the Baltics to the southern parts of Scandinavia) can be very pleasant in the summer. We have white nights, temperature around 20-25 degrees, we are near the sea. When it's nice, it's REALLY mild and pleasant, when it's rainy and cold (for example due to El Nino), then it's cold and rainy in a lot of places. Winters have been really warm as well in the last few years. Climate warming is making Northern Europe a better place to live, one of the few places on the planet where it's true probably.
Childhood obesity draining the pool of potentially attractive women.

If you like pretty girls you should move to my home country, Estonia. We are the #1 country in the world for fashion models per capita, winning by a landslide compared to countries that are further down the list. Seven out of the top 10 countries are located in the Baltics and Scandinavia, by the way (1. Estonia, 2. Iceland, 3, Lithuania, 4. Denmark, 5. Latvia, 6. Sweden, 9. Norway). The top 6 is ALL scandi/EE. Canada is nowhere to be found, strangely enough.
Childhood obesity draining the pool of potentially attractive women.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

OhYeah posted:

My last girlfriend was Estonian. The only times she wasn't wearing high heels was inclement weather and exercise. On top of that she was way more of an academic achiever than me. Practically slept through her undergrad, CFA and MBA. Makes like quadruple my income now.

Every time we went out we drew attention from both genders. It was hilarious to see how jealous and spiteful the caker chicks were.

Dating her was a pleasant reminder of how awesome the Baltic states are.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 15, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle23963034/

quote:

Toyota Motor Corp. plans to shift production of Corolla compact cars from Cambridge, Ont., to a new factory in Mexico, ending an era that began when the company opened its first Canadian assembly plant in 1988.

Corolla production in Cambridge is expected to be replaced by other, larger vehicles when the auto maker’s first full-scale Mexican plant begins production 2019, said sources familiar with Toyota’s plans, which are scheduled to be announced Wednesday.

While employment levels at Toyota’s two Ontario plants are not expected to change, the shift underlines how Canada’s competitive position in vehicle manufacturing is eroding.

It’s a sign that almost 30 years after establishing manufacturing operations in Cambridge, Toyota no longer generates sufficient profit from manufacturing in Canada the bestselling vehicle in its Canadian lineup.

The company has assembled about 3.5 million Corolla models in Cambridge. Its first vehicle, a blue 1988 model, still adorns the lobby of the factory.

Costs are higher at Toyota’s assembly plants in Cambridge and Woodstock, Ont., than they are at its factories in Kentucky, Indiana and other U.S. states, so it makes sense to build more expensive vehicles at the Canadian operations, sources said.

A report done in 2013 for the Canadian Automotive Partnership Council, an industry labour group set up to advise the federal and Ontario governments, warned that assembly is moving to the Southern United States and Mexico because of higher logistics, labour and parts costs.

“At least one assembler with operations in both Canada and the U.S. South indicates that, on an annual basis, the costs of operating an assembly facility is significantly less in the U.S. South than in Canada,” the report said. That comparison was between costs in Cambridge and Toyota’s factory in Kentucky, sources have said.

The possibilities to replace Corolla include adding RAV4 production to Cambridge – that crossover is already assembled in Woodstock – and the larger Toyota Highlander crossover and possibly more Lexus models, sources said. The four-year horizon for building the Mexico plant also means Toyota could add new vehicles now on the drawing board or not developed yet.

About 3,000 of Toyota’s 5,600 employees in Cambridge assemble Corolla models. Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada Inc. also assembles the Lexus RX350 luxury crossover in the same factory. The vehicles share a body shop, but each has its own paint shop and final assembly line.

Toyota is relatively late to the party in Mexico, which landed $3.4-billion (U.S.) in investments in new assembly plants last year alone and now boasts a roster of auto makers that includes the largest Detroit-based, European, Japanese and South Korean companies and several luxury brands.

Reuters reported Tuesday that Toyota’s investment in Mexico will be $1-billion.

Toyota operates a plant in Baja, Mexico, that does final assembly of compact pickup trucks, but it has no established supply base in the country, unlike the parts producers that have been established around its other North American plants to supply components.

Because of that lack of suppliers, logistics costs will negate the low-cost advantages of locating in Mexico in the short term, said one senior industry source familiar with the company’s North American operations.

“So the return from Mexico is long-term, not shorter term,” the source said.

Separately, other wire service reports said on Tuesday that Ford Motor Co. will announce $2.5-billion in engine investments on Friday, including a project that the Ontario and federal governments tried and failed to land for Windsor, Ont.

GOOD MORNING MOTHERFUCKERS

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

And the hurt keeps coming: Cdn new factory orders down EIGHTEEN PERCENT #cdnecon

https://twitter.com/LJKawa/status/588319081511710721

Manufacturing in Canada is getting utterly loving raped.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

I guess the solution is to make the minimum wage in Canada about $5 US a day so we can compete with Mexico?

Or maybe people could start paying more for Corollas?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Hammering Boeing 's career site with applications. I gotta get outta here. This entire company is an anachronism from 1978 and I have a feeling reality is about to "correct" it.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Kraftwerk posted:

Hammering Boeing 's career site with applications. I gotta get outta here. This entire company is an anachronism from 1978 and I have a feeling reality is about to "correct" it.

What about Lockheed? I hear the f35 project is hiring. :laugh:

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Kraftwerk posted:

My last girlfriend was Estonian. The only times she wasn't wearing high heels was inclement weather and exercise. On top of that she was way more of an academic achiever than me. Practically slept through her undergrad, CFA and MBA. Makes like quadruple my income now.

Every time we went out we drew attention from both genders. It was hilarious to see how jealous and spiteful the caker chicks were.

Dating her was a pleasant reminder of how awesome the Baltic states are.

My 16-year old daughter is a very good student in school, despite being away from school months at a time. Plus she is very talented in foreign languages (English, French, Russian), plays the cello and piano. And she's a model. :)

PS. What the hell is a caker chick?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

lol

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Also, big day today.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle23959859/

quote:

Poloz to update on economy
It probably won’t be as “atrocious” as the word implies, but expect the Bank of Canada today to slash its economic call for the quarter that just ended.

The question now, economists say, is where we go from here.

Governor Stephen Poloz and his Bank of Canada colleagues are not expected to cut their benchmark overnight rate, which now stands at 0.75 cent after January’s surprise cut.

But they are likely to cut their estimate for first-quarter growth when they release their decision and accompanying monetary policy report at 10 a.m. ET.

The Bank of Canada originally forecast that the economy would expand at an annual pace of 1.5 per cent in the first three months of the year, but that clearly didn’t happen, though we don’t have the numbers yet. The central bank made a similar call for the current quarter.

Economists expect Mr. Poloz to cut the first-quarter estimate to about zero, or slightly higher, given the impact of the oil shock, though he may well boost the outlook for the second quarter.

Remember that Mr. Poloz famously told The Financial Times that he expected the first quarter to be “atrocious,” though you can chalk a lot of that up to his colourful, and refreshing, way of talking.

He also said late last month that he had his “fingers crossed” for the rest of the year.

“Accordingly, look for the MPR to forecast near-flat GDP growth for Q1, while Q2 will likely be upgraded above the prior 1.5 per cent,” said senior economist Benjamin Reitzes of BMO Nesbitt Burns.

“The rest of the growth forecast could see some minor tweaks which keep the closing of the output gap at the end of 2016, the same timeline as in January,” Mr. Reitzes added.

“With the loonie averaging more than 6 cents below the January MPR assumptions of 86 U.S. cents, there could be some upgrades to 2016 growth, suggesting 2015 Q2 may only get a modest bump.”

Like other observers, Mr. Reitzes doesn’t expect Mr. Poloz to cut his key rate this morning, though the Bank of Canada governor isn’t “afraid to surprise the market,” and will rather wait until July to see how things look at that point.

The European Central Bank held its key rate steady today.

Here’s what some other observers say:

“The BoC will likely toe the party line that a factory recovery will offset the energy-sector drag later this year. Although the BoC could cut its 1Q GDP growth forecast to 0.5 per cent from 1.5 per cent in the MPR, they will likely boost growth in later quarters.” Emanuella Enenajor, Bank of America Merrill Lynch

"Attention will be paid to possible upward revisions to the earlier projected gains of 1.5 per cent, 2 per cent and 2.5 per centin Q2 through Q4, respectively. How significant an offset [to the first quarter] will be gauged by the extent to which the currently projected annual growth this year and next of 2.1 per cent and 2.4 per cent, respectively, are revised. RBC’s forecast of growth this year closer to 2.5 per cent implies the positive offsets start to dominate growth by the second half of this year. As this becomes increasingly evident in the data, the chances of another insurance rate cut will disappear. That said, the bank is likely to remain cautious and wait until 2016 before initiating any rate increases." Paul Ferley, Royal Bank of Canada

“With the economic contraction in January, it will be hard for growth in Q1 to be stronger than 1 per cent. Moreover, given the comments from Governor Poloz that growth in Q1 is likely to be ‘atrocious,’ we would expect very weak growth on the quarter … However, we believe the BoC will continue to expect a relatively sharp growth rebound in [the second half of] 2015.” Charles St-Arnaud, Nomura Securities

“Markets have priced near-certainty on another cut this year, but the real odds are much less certain either way. Our last published forecast had the Bank of Canada on hold through the balance of the year. Our 1.7-per-cent real GDP forecast for the year will likely sit below the bank’s revised projections, creating room for a governor who likes to fine-tune to justify another move. But there’s a fine margin of error in that GDP call, and an extra couple of decimal places in growth could stay the BoC’s hand.” Avery Shenfeld, CIBC World Markets

“While part of the disappointment can be explained by bad weather, one can’t rule out some underlying weakness in the economy via a more front-loaded impact of the oil shock than was initially expected. It will therefore be interesting to see if the BoC downgrades its near-term growth forecasts, and if so how soon it projects the economy to return to a stronger growth path. That will have implications for odds of further rate cuts.” Krishen Rangasamy, National Bank

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The problem with BoC rate day under Poloz is the guy flips a coin to determine policy and makes up words to support the coins decision.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

OhYeah posted:

PS. What the hell is a caker chick?

Its a word I appropriated from the Italian community to express my frustration with Anglo Canadian culture.

Urban Dictionary posted:

A derogatory term for a Canadian person of Anglo-Saxon descent. Cakers have bad taste for absolutely everything, including music, film, sports, food, style and the opposite sex. Cakers love and get drunk off cheap beer and put ketchup and maple syrup on almost anything they eat. Cakers are big fans of hockey and follow the sport religiously. Toronto is the Mecca of Cakers.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ceciltron posted:

My internal urges to be a vindictive rear end in a top hat and the urge to be a good person who doesn't want to see anyone starve or go homeless are fighting again. Thanks for that.

Death by guillotine for the TCM AirBnB scam-artist! Those two parts of you will have to fight no longer.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thanks to this thread I've learned that Toronto is full of unfriendly, ugly women and has a comparable cost of living to NYC with traffic as bad as LA. Also goons frequently express dumb and wrong opinions.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

eXXon posted:

Thanks to this thread I've learned that Toronto is full of unfriendly, ugly women and has a comparable cost of living to NYC with traffic as bad as LA. Also goons frequently express dumb and wrong opinions.

And also Pearson is a terrible, garbage airport. I haven't been to JFK or LAX, so I can't compare those, but YYZ is definitely worse than AMS, about equal with Frankfurt, and significantly worse than IAH.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Forums intellectual makes a tautology :rolleyes:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

And also Pearson is a terrible, garbage airport. I haven't been to JFK or LAX, so I can't compare those, but YYZ is definitely worse than AMS, about equal with Frankfurt, and significantly worse than IAH.

You have not experienced airport hell until you've spent time in LAX's domestic terminal. The international one isn't much better but ohhhhhhhhh boy LAX domestic is probably my least favourite place on the planet.

CDG used to be terrible then they upgraded it so now it's ok. YVR is pretty good by international airport standards except for how they designed it so you have like a ten minute walk to customs when you arrive.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Kraftwerk posted:

This entire company country is an anachronism from 1978 and I have a feeling reality is about to "correct" it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HookShot posted:

You have not experienced airport hell until you've spent time in LAX's domestic terminal. The international one isn't much better but ohhhhhhhhh boy LAX domestic is probably my least favourite place on the planet.

CDG used to be terrible then they upgraded it so now it's ok. YVR is pretty good by international airport standards except for how they designed it so you have like a ten minute walk to customs when you arrive.

They probably stole that design feature from YYC. It's a pretty passable airport when you're departing, but motherfucker does it ever take a long goddamn time to get to customs. Hopefully that's fixed when the new international terminal opens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Airport hell talk: Get back to me when you've been to Logan in Boston. Ugh.