Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I've installed OpenELEC/Kodi 14.2 on my Asus Chromebox M004U, and an odd thing is going on when I browse files on my NAS via SMB. When I select a folder that contains a video file, there is a 10-15 second "freeze" before the menu goes into that folder. It only happens if there's a video file in a folder, however. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I've just learned of Episode Bookmarks. How did I miss that before now?

usha
Feb 14, 2012
Would you please recommend me a system that would primarily be used for streaming IPTV? It would primarily be used by my parents, so I don't mind a difficult setup as long as the actual usage would be simple. Low cost would also be a huge plus.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

usha posted:

Would you please recommend me a system that would primarily be used for streaming IPTV? It would primarily be used by my parents, so I don't mind a difficult setup as long as the actual usage would be simple. Low cost would also be a huge plus.

What kind of IPTV? What does this have to do with XBMC?

usha
Feb 14, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

What kind of IPTV? What does this have to do with XBMC?

From what I gather XBMC's addon support enables a good selection of live TV channels through streaming. I could be wrong though, my knowledge on the subject is limited.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

usha posted:

Are you trying to watch local Portuguese-language soccer highlights and the BBC World Service? If not, "IPTV" may not be the magic bullet you're hoping for.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Is FireTV a pretty solid XBMC box for the money? Right now I have my entertainment center connected to my main PC via a lengthy, wall routed HDMI cable. I am moving into a new house in a little over a month and rather than mess around with all that again off the bat I bought the FireTV to install XBMC on and connect over the network to my PC, I've never streamed content over Wifi with XBMC before, but I was just given a crazy AC1900 wrt router and want to go all wireless. I assume with a stout enough signal Wireless-N will be fine streaming content over my network up to 1080p? Actually does the FireTV secretly support wireless AC?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

thebushcommander posted:

Is FireTV a pretty solid XBMC box for the money? Right now I have my entertainment center connected to my main PC via a lengthy, wall routed HDMI cable. I am moving into a new house in a little over a month and rather than mess around with all that again off the bat I bought the FireTV to install XBMC on and connect over the network to my PC, I've never streamed content over Wifi with XBMC before, but I was just given a crazy AC1900 wrt router and want to go all wireless. I assume with a stout enough signal Wireless-N will be fine streaming content over my network up to 1080p? Actually does the FireTV secretly support wireless AC?

It should be solid as long as you have the host PC plugged into Ethernet. My Fire TV is on wifi and I've streamed a 20 GB Blu-Ray remux without any issue.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LORD OF BUTT posted:

So um, this is possibly an odd request, but does anyone know of a program that'll let me change the genres on my movies and TV shows? PseudoTV Live Manager used to let me do it (which was good, because PseudoTV is my main reason for wanting to gently caress with them) but it borked and won't load my database anymore, there's another weird French library manager that also wouldn't read my database properly, and while WIMM reads my poo poo it lets me edit everything but the genres.

Asking this again for a new page.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Asking this again for a new page.

I'll have to check the add-on I have later, but I think it's literally something like TVDB. It mostly just scans for new files, downloads their art work and episode descriptions, but I've changed all of the information you were asking about with it in the past.

Call Me Charlie posted:

It should be solid as long as you have the host PC plugged into Ethernet. My Fire TV is on wifi and I've streamed a 20 GB Blu-Ray remux without any issue.

Thanks, I think the last time I streamed anything over wifi was to my 360 using PS Media Server and it was pretty terrible. Of course that was years ago.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 15, 2015

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

thebushcommander posted:

I thought Android could not do 5.1 audio

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Is Kodi supposed to upgrade from your XBMC library? Cause I upgraded from Gotham at the weekend and it loving didnt. God its a ballache.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Bigsteve posted:

Is Kodi supposed to upgrade from your XBMC library? Cause I upgraded from Gotham at the weekend and it loving didnt. God its a ballache.

Should, yeah. Worked perfectly for me this weekend, incidentally. Went from 13.1 to 14.2 on Windows without a hitch. Install was smooth, all my media was there, all the thumbnails and data migrated, and all I had to do was install an updated version of my skin and tweak a couple settings.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Bonzo posted:

I thought Android could not do 5.1 audio

According to the product page it supports - "Support for Dolby Digital Plus, 5.1 surround sound, 2ch Stereo and HDMI audio pass through up to 7.1"

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

thebushcommander posted:

My FireTV Box's Kodi UI is more responsive than my Zotac AD10. If my Zotac box ever stops working, I'll gladly replace it with an Amazon Fire TV.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
I recently picked up a FireTV and I love it, but when I try to stream 1080p content in Kodi from my Raspberry Pi NAS it buffers like crazy. Both the Amazon and the pi are hard-wired into my modem/router combo (supplied by my provider). Would hooking everything up to my previous router (Linksys E3000) help? Or is there some sort of optimization I can do on either device?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

speedtek posted:

I recently picked up a FireTV and I love it, but when I try to stream 1080p content in Kodi from my Raspberry Pi NAS it buffers like crazy. Both the Amazon and the pi are hard-wired into my modem/router combo (supplied by my provider). Would hooking everything up to my previous router (Linksys E3000) help? Or is there some sort of optimization I can do on either device?

You can use Amazon FireTV Utility App to expand the cache settings. Also be sure to go settings -> KODI -> Video -> Acceleration and disable MediaCodec. I've had weird stuttering issues when that was enabled.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So I got the FireTV today and loaded Kodi into it and setup my addons and such. Then I was going through with Llamma trying to get Kodi to show up on the homescreen by launching it when I select another app (i used ikonoTV and also ClassicTV apps) however it doesn't seem to work, it just ends up loading the ikono or classic app. I've looked over numerous sites and they all say to do the same thing to ( http://sideloadfiretv.com/add-kodi-xbmc-icon-to-fire-tvs-home-screen/ ) and everyone says it works, but I can't get it going. It says you don't need the FTV rooted for it to work either. Anyone have any idea?

edit: I used adbfire to do it initially and it changed the icon for ClassicTV to the Kodi one for me, the event in llamma is properly setup based on all the sites I've looked at for manually doing it and I've tried the automated way using import info from adbfire too.

And just like every other time I post a question I figure it out almost immediately. Turned out there was a FTV firmware update to some weird 51.510101 something firmware that didn't show up after initial setup. Went through that and then afterwards setup the llamma conditions again and it works great now. Only thing I am having trouble with is logging into Showtime Anytime, but I think that is their service since it keeps giving me some dumb error about my previous session timed out and to login again, even though that's what I am doing.

Edit2: Also as a test I ran a 1080p movie over my poo poo wireless signal at work and playback was perfect so here's hoping I have no issues with my 600+ movie library!

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 16, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

thebushcommander posted:

So I got the FireTV today

There's a Fire TV thread :)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644021

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Ahh that would have been helpful, especially since it says Kodi is now an app from the amazon app store so you don't even need to sideload it...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Ahh that would have been helpful, especially since it says Kodi is now an app from the amazon app store so you don't even need to sideload it...

Holy poo poo it is, however, it lists that it isn't compatible with my Fire TV (Stick).

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
^^^ "Buy" it on Amazon. Sideload xbmc as normal. Run xbmc at least once (you'll probably have to do it from the app info screen). Xbmc should now show up in your list of recent items. It's worked for me on both a regular firetv and a stick.

speedtek posted:

Unless you've successfully streamed the same file to another computer on your network, I'm going to blame the pi nas. Raspberry Pis are wonderful little machines, but they shouldn't be used as a NAS. A NAS needs good I/O bandwidth for both storage and network, and a Pi has neither.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

g0del posted:

Unless you've successfully streamed the same file to another computer on your network, I'm going to blame the pi nas. Raspberry Pis are wonderful little machines, but they shouldn't be used as a NAS. A NAS needs good I/O bandwidth for both storage and network, and a Pi has neither.

I forgot to mention, I am coming from a full-blown HTPC that streamed everything from the Pi just fine.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

thebushcommander posted:

I'll have to check the add-on I have later, but I think it's literally something like TVDB. It mostly just scans for new files, downloads their art work and episode descriptions, but I've changed all of the information you were asking about with it in the past.

Did you check and see what that add-on was?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
What do I have to do to get Kodi on a Fire TV Stick to use my MySQL Kodi database?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What do I have to do to get Kodi on a Fire TV Stick to use my MySQL Kodi database?

Can you not access the file system?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Can you not access the file system?

I can push individual files to the Kodi folder via adbFire, but I don't think I can push an entire folder. I don't think I can FTP to it without root.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
What folder are you trying to move, thumbnails or something? You can push an entire folder via ADB by specifying the destination, just use the command line. Most of the Fire tools have an option to load a CLI window after connection or just do it by hand. adb push FolderName /sdcard/FolderName

I forget the location of Kodi on there but I'm sure you can google that and move the files where they're supposed to be, setup advancedsettings.xml and all that.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

What folder are you trying to move, thumbnails or something? You can push an entire folder via ADB by specifying the destination, just use the command line. Most of the Fire tools have an option to load a CLI window after connection or just do it by hand. adb push FolderName /sdcard/FolderName

I forget the location of Kodi on there but I'm sure you can google that and move the files where they're supposed to be, setup advancedsettings.xml and all that.

I'm probably just doing something wrong and will have to mess with it more. When you export your video library, it gives you a folder with an xml file and subfolders with all the thumbnails and stuff. I pushed just the xml file to the userdata folder but couldn't find it to import it, so I thought maybe I needed the whole folder.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm probably just doing something wrong and will have to mess with it more. When you export your video library, it gives you a folder with an xml file and subfolders with all the thumbnails and stuff. I pushed just the xml file to the userdata folder but couldn't find it to import it, so I thought maybe I needed the whole folder.

Pretty sure you're doing something wrong. All you need to get MySQL working is the advancedsettings.xml file in the userdata folder. Well, that and a properly functioning MySQL database, of course.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

redhalo posted:

Gotham is old though, why not Helix?

edit: As in you speak as if Gotham just released. If you are concerned that Gotham is buggy, it's never going to get any better.

Fair enough I have upgraded since then. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So I'm poking around and apparently there's some sort of black magic that allows one to add shows to my libary from streaming plugins (In my instance Crunchyroll Take-out specifically) as if they were actual physical files. Something about .strm files or something but I can't find anything that isn't a word soup about it.

Edit: Got it. This is something of a small boon for me;

To explain, I used pseudolibrary which uses a user defined listing to generate the .strm files and those take the place of a theoretical video file and in kodi uses those files to point to the plug in and play it like a normal stream.

It works a treat for most plug ins so if you follow a series on YouTube it's pretty easy to integrate it into your library.

Only downside is that it doesn't name the .stem files into a library readable format but that's what filebot is for.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 26, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Nexus Player is $68.43 today at Amazon.

How does Kodi perform on it? Will it perform better than the Acer Revo 1600 (Ion 280 cpu)? Will it perform pretty close to a Core 2 Duo system?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would just suck it up and get the $99 Fire TV, it's the best hardware on the market for Kodi bar none. It costs $30 more and has a better remote. And comes with a free month of Prime. I have yet to feed that thing a video that it couldn't play at full FPS with zero jitter including some insane 20 GB 1080p video.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 30, 2015

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I would just suck it up and get the $99 Fire TV, it's the best hardware on the market for Kodi bar none. It costs $30 more and has a better remote. And comes with a free month of Prime. I have yet to feed that thing a video that it couldn't play at full FPS with zero jitter including some insane 20 GB 1080p video.

Kodi is flawless on NP as well, and it has Chromecast support. Fire TV remote does look better though, not sure about $30 better. But some appreciate how simple the NP remote is.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

wolfbiker posted:

Kodi is flawless on NP as well, and it has Chromecast support. Fire TV remote does look better though, not sure about $30 better. But some appreciate how simple the NP remote is.

Can you play Amazon Prime stuff in 5.1 using the Nexus Player?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Does the NP have an ethernet jack? My HDHomerun Prime spews out Mpeg2 and it utterly crushes most devices. Most don't even have codecs to allow HW decoding.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
No ethernet on NP. Not sure about Amazon and 5.1.

While I do love my Nexus Players, I did have one hooked up to my projector and it looked like dogshit, so I went back to my HTPC. Looks okay on my TVs, but not blown up huge. Strange.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

YouTuber posted:

Does the NP have an ethernet jack? My HDHomerun Prime spews out Mpeg2 and it utterly crushes most devices. Most don't even have codecs to allow HW decoding.

No Ethernet but you can use a USBTG adapter to use an normal USB Ethernet adapter on it.

Not KODI related directly, but Limelight Moonlight (the game streaming app) is supposed to work better on the Nexus Player than on any thing else. Apparently it has one of the lowest latency decoders on in the android world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Can you use USB OTG with the Fire TV? I probably won't use the Fire TV or the NP remote...

I also should have clarified that by "performance" I mostly meant the performance of the interface. My Acer Revo HTPC's performance in menus and whatnot is significantly worse than my Core 2 Duo HTPC.

Nowadays, just about anything can play the 1080p mkvs people obtain from places.