Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Call of Cthulhu's probably a lot harder to print, though, seeing as you can't read the books without going insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's not like the printing machines can read.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

However, I should not be indulging this ridiculous derail, given that a nearly-complete product has leaked, we've seen at least half of the art, and while the delays have been substantial, setbacks have been explained in excruciating detail (I wouldn't wish Morke's fate of heading such a contentious project while battling life-threatening illness on anyone) and everything indicates that the developers have engaged in a good-faith effort to complete the game. While I disagree with a lot of the choices made with Ex3's Kickstarter and subsequent development, I honestly don't think the developers are guilty of anything more than perhaps naivete and overconfidence.
My own internet outrage, at this point, is towards the apparent news that the WRITERS haven't been paid, AT ALL, after OVER A YEAR, during which it is quite clear they DID write a book based on the leak. I think that poo poo is dumb as hell and if it is typical for OPP I'd like to know why, because having done freelance writing myself to a substantial extent, "not getting paid for months" is a great recipe for penury and desperation.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
They've been paid in massive amounts of attention by internet forums the world over.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

To put in in perspective, Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition was only funded about a month after Exalted and is only now going through printing, so not a huge amount less time than Exalted and as far as I'm aware the changes Call of Cthulhu went through this edition are a lot less dramatic. Point is this delay isn't actually a huge exception.

The completed their book and released it digitally last year. They are only waiting on printing hard copies.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

A_Raving_Loon posted:

The completed their book and released it digitally last year. They are only waiting on printing hard copies.
From a certain perspective, I suppose EX3 has done the same..

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
As far as I'm concerned 3E has been out for weeks.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Yeah this open beta has done a lot to restore enthusiasm for the product.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Nessus posted:

My own internet outrage, at this point, is towards the apparent news that the WRITERS haven't been paid, AT ALL, after OVER A YEAR, during which it is quite clear they DID write a book based on the leak. I think that poo poo is dumb as hell and if it is typical for OPP I'd like to know why, because having done freelance writing myself to a substantial extent, "not getting paid for months" is a great recipe for penury and desperation.

Yeah, it's pretty dumb.

I did some random minor freelancing back in the d20 boom days and even with the complete nobody publishers it was "pay on receipt of draft", not "no cash until the book gets published".

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

nrook posted:

I have a hard time sympathizing with the poor, oppressed consumers who said, "Do you know what I want for my hard-earned dollars? Rape ghosts. I am looking for sexual assault ghosts in my fantasy roleplaying experience."

Indeed, the reasonably good game Exalted 3E appears to be more than they deserve!

are the rape ghosts going to be in the base book, or will I have to pay out for supplements to get the full ravishing+seduction experience? I want to know what my hard-earned dollar is buying me, here.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Nessus posted:

Again I'm calling this into question. My uncle works at Nintendo and I have it on good authority you get paid half upon submission of the final draft and half upon the printing of the book with per-word rates that, while not generous, are comparable to the industry. In a world where some RPG books literally never see the light of day I actually think this is a decent policy and if anything the people running this show on this particular book should be taken to task for making their writers work so long on it. In a universe where gaming books require a consistent tone and mechanical identity it's pretty foolish to alienate your writers, since it's unlikely those people will take another job from OPP->Exalted at this point.

It's important to remember that OPP is not a print magazine or even Wizards; it's an order of magnitude less well-funded and most people writing for OPP know this. Everything else aside their pay schedule is typically very professional considering the work-to-time ratio of RPG products (barring mechanics). If Exalted is a unique case here, I'll shut my mouth but that has not been my experience.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mendrian posted:

Again I'm calling this into question. My uncle works at Nintendo and I have it on good authority you get paid half upon submission of the final draft and half upon the printing of the book with per-word rates that, while not generous, are comparable to the industry. In a world where some RPG books literally never see the light of day I actually think this is a decent policy and if anything the people running this show on this particular book should be taken to task for making their writers work so long on it. In a universe where gaming books require a consistent tone and mechanical identity it's pretty foolish to alienate your writers, since it's unlikely those people will take another job from OPP->Exalted at this point.

It's important to remember that OPP is not a print magazine or even Wizards; it's an order of magnitude less well-funded and most people writing for OPP know this. Everything else aside their pay schedule is typically very professional considering the work-to-time ratio of RPG products (barring mechanics). If Exalted is a unique case here, I 'll shut my mouth but that has not been my experience.

Yeah, that was probably just my own goof when I thought 'you get paid when you're finished' meant 'the book is done' not 'the draft is submitted.'

PleasingFungus posted:

are the rape ghosts going to be in the base book, or will I have to pay out for supplements to get the full ravishing+seduction experience? I want to know what my hard-earned dollar is buying me, here.

Not until Abyssals, friend.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mendrian posted:

It's important to remember that OPP is not a print magazine or even Wizards; it's an order of magnitude less well-funded and most people writing for OPP know this. Everything else aside their pay schedule is typically very professional considering the work-to-time ratio of RPG products (barring mechanics). If Exalted is a unique case here, I'll shut my mouth but that has not been my experience.
Well then I may have gotten upset over nothing, a truly unique experience on the Internet. I can understand why you'd keep part back til the book is at the printers or its equivalent, to help ensure timely edits and so forth. What made this particularly mystifying to me is that thanks to the Kickstarter they had, if not ALL the money, A LOT OF the money up front - and indeed, several of the stretch goals were explicitly "increase compensation for the writing team."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Argas posted:

It's not like the printing machines can read.

that's just what they want you to think :tinfoil:

cybertier
May 2, 2013
Build my first ever Exalted character this weekend for one of my players. Took me just about three hours.

Do you think a combination of Sorcery and the combat Charms in the Stealth-tree is a good idea? We also got the artifact that lets you turn into a shadow, I think nothing stops you from gathering sorcery motes while you are an immaterial shadow? Escpecially if you took the demon pact with the darkness Shaping Ritual.

For everyday offense I took the ifreet merit and reflavored it as a shadow attack. Since those attacks have the *thrown* tag, can they be combined with Thrown charms?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
You're the ST, that's your call to make.

cybertier
May 2, 2013

zeal posted:

You're the ST, that's your call to make.

You I know, and I already houseruled some things, but I'm wondering if anyone agrees that this would be the intended idea or if there is a text passage that directly contradicts this.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

cybertier posted:

For everyday offense I took the ifreet merit and reflavored it as a shadow attack. Since those attacks have the *thrown* tag, can they be combined with Thrown charms?

In 3e, the only charms that care about what skill you're using to attack are Supplemental ones - even if you attack using Intelligence + Occult, reflexive and simple Thrown charms should be fine.

Then again, what skill you roll is a little weird - first, the merit explicitly says you have to attack with the flames using Intelligence + Occult, but the Thrown (Short) tag does only two things - limit range to Short, and allow you to use the Thrown ability to attack with it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The (Thrown) tag means you can use the Thrown ability to attack with a weapon, so, yeah, you wouldn't be stuck using Occult to throw fire/shadowballs.

Even then, I don't see any reason why an Occult-based Burning Name attack can't be used with Thrown Charms, and in fact a character in our game does this. You'd still have to buy a Thrown rating to qualify for the Charms, and even if you used them in conjunction with making Int + Occult attacks rather than Dex + Thrown attacks... so what? What, you're somehow getting away with a worse Dexterity rating? Yeah, enjoy your lower DVs, pal.

Gathering sorcerous motes while totally immaterial is iffier because it'd let you attack people without their being able to hit you back, depending on how you actually statted up shadow form. I'd at least say that if you start shaping a spell that's going to affect another character, you automatically put yourself 'in phase' with that character such that they can try to punch you before you Obsidian Butterflies them.

cybertier
May 2, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Even then, I don't see any reason why an Occult-based Burning Name attack can't be used with Thrown Charms, and in fact a character in our game does this. You'd still have to buy a Thrown rating to qualify for the Charms, and even if you used them in conjunction with making Int + Occult attacks rather than Dex + Thrown attacks... so what? What, you're somehow getting away with a worse Dexterity rating? Yeah, enjoy your lower DVs, pal.
Dex is already maxed anyway, for maximum ninja-action. So I think I'll allow the use of Thrown charms.

Ferrinus posted:

Gathering sorcerous motes while totally immaterial is iffier because it'd let you attack people without their being able to hit you back, depending on how you actually statted up shadow form. I'd at least say that if you start shaping a spell that's going to affect another character, you automatically put yourself 'in phase' with that character such that they can try to punch you before you Obsidian Butterflies them.
I was only thinking about gathering motes itself. When the character reaches the necessary motes he would have to get material again to affect the material world. Maybe he'd even get the suprise bonus if he was also sneaking while being immaterial.
Stalking Wolf Attitude and being in the shadow state also seems really nice.

I hope the character ends up on par with the Dawn when he can sneak in combat and still quite good when they are fighting in broad daylight.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Okay, but being able to spend a bunch of free turns Shaping while your enemies can't touch you is still an enormous upgrade over having to spend a bunch of turns Shaping while your enemies can touch you. You should liken it, in your mind, to an artifact that allows you to disperse into a cloud of invulnerable fog on any turn on which you aim or reload your weapon as opposed to firing it.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Would countermagic still be possible against a dematerialized caster? I mean, as I understand it, counterspells in Ex3 still target the spell, not the caster, so an enemy sorcerer would still be able to force them into stalemate instead of repeated ninja-nuking.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I have no idea if this is still true, but I also got the fluff impression that other than explicitly small/simple spells, Sorcery involves a lot of glowing glyphs floating in the air and other spell-card usage appurtenances. So even if they can't see or hit you, it's really clear that that shadow is producing a bunch of green glowies. Perhaps you should move.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.

Ferrinus posted:

Okay, but being able to spend a bunch of free turns Shaping while your enemies can't touch you is still an enormous upgrade over having to spend a bunch of turns Shaping while your enemies can touch you. You should liken it, in your mind, to an artifact that allows you to disperse into a cloud of invulnerable fog on any turn on which you aim or reload your weapon as opposed to firing it.

That particular artifact only lets you go immaterial once per scene; it has a ten minute cooldown. Spirit-hitting charms - which are Essence 1 - allow you to be hit as normal. It's smarter to use it as an emergency escape tool than a once-per-fight risk-free shaping session.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

jagadaishio posted:

That particular artifact only lets you go immaterial once per scene; it has a ten minute cooldown. Spirit-hitting charms - which are Essence 1 - allow you to be hit as normal. It's smarter to use it as an emergency escape tool than a once-per-fight risk-free shaping session.

Oh, yeah, going immaterial while shaping, and then popping back into the physical world at the last second to release whatever you were shaping, especially if the immateriality itself is on a cooldown, is probably perfectly fine. I was assuming the worst and imagining some kind of "I'm still in the physical world but effectively immune to non-fire damage" effect.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Is it out yet?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
There's a leak of the original full text but the backer PDF (which will have been edited for, at least, page length) is still a bit away.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Can someone point me to the dynast/patrician skill package? I don't have my books on my device and don't wanna use data.

e:never mind, I just remembered it's a bunch of 1's and twos. I got everything but the 1 in War and rationalized it as "older sister gave him all her notes and the teacher never noticed."

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 15, 2015

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

ErichZahn posted:

Can someone point me to the dynast/patrician skill package? I don't have my books on my device and don't wanna use data.

You mean the one in the 2e DB book?

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

ErichZahn posted:

e:never mind, I just remembered it's a bunch of 1's and twos. I got everything but the 1 in War and rationalized it as "older sister gave him all her notes and the teacher never noticed."

It's Archery 1, Lore 2, Martial Arts 1, Melee 1, Performance 1, Presence 1, Ride 1, Socialize 2 and War 1. Keep in mind that those are the minimums it's possible to come out of the primary school system with; most Dynasts have them all rated at two dots or higher since anything less means they are "generally regarded by their peers as deficient in critical life skills".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Calde posted:

It's Archery 1, Lore 2, Martial Arts 1, Melee 1, Performance 1, Presence 1, Ride 1, Socialize 2 and War 1. Keep in mind that those are the minimums it's possible to come out of the primary school system with; most Dynasts have them all rated at two dots or higher since anything less means they are "generally regarded by their peers as deficient in critical life skills".
How did 1E handle this, out of curiosity?

Calde
Jun 20, 2009
It's the same list except Brawl and Martial Arts are interchangeable. The phrasing is basically copy-pasted.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
So, I've been running an Exalted game for the past few weeks now and thought I'd share a few things I've found from Actual Play

Artifacts:
Evocations are really fun, and I love them
5-dot artifacts are worse than 4-dot ones, because they have way too many Evocations so it takes too many charm buys to get to the cool stuff you wanted. Sure, they can do more cool stuff but you have a finite number of charms to play around with. Better to get a 3 or 4 dot artifact focused on the one or two things you really want it to do rather than a 5 dot which can do ten things but you only really want one or two.
I am seriously addicted to writing up Evocation trees. Send Help.

Combat:
Get some sort of combat tracker, or else you will lose track of whose turn it is when initiative starts hopping around everywhere. I ended up coding my own after one combat
Join Battle pools are very powerful, but not big enough for a huge alpha strike to become easy. Never forget the +3 successes everyone gets.
Onslaught is nasty, but managing enemy initiative pools means people tend to pair off in combat rather than ganging up one at a time

Social Influence:
It is way easier to boost "attack" rolls than "defense"
I like how intimacies provide a hard cap on what you can get people to do. It stops social influence from being a Mind Control button, and gives players incentives to actually find out and care about npc motivations

Crafting:
Too many craft skills, but several craft charms get stronger based on how many you have. Definitely need to find a good house rule for this
Craft-XP counting minigame... gah, still not sure how I feel about this. Makes people feel more like actual crafters, but also stops some good ideas when they realize they don't have the silver xp to do a major project right now
WAY too many craft charms that are all handy but not impressive. Supernal Craft + 10 charm buy-in at chargen or go home. Only exception to this is if you take CNNT and just just crafting as a sort of flavor extra

Sorcery:
Sorcerous workings are actually really neat and play out well in practice. I find it's good to be lenient with the XP cost, if the working won't actually affect the game much but is still cool (like enchanting their home. Yeah, it's technically a benefit but I don't want to discourage sorcerers from having strange partially-alive abodes)
Combat sorcery isn't all that good, but provides a cheap way for non-combat mental characters to participate in combat.
Death of Obsidian Butterflies is mediocre on its own, but can destroy Battle Groups once a combat character weakens them. Provides some nice teamwork effects.

Technically have a martial artist in the group, but he's not really a combat focused character so I can't say much about how they work out

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Kaza42 posted:

Combat:
Get some sort of combat tracker, or else you will lose track of whose turn it is when initiative starts hopping around everywhere. I ended up coding my own after one combat

How do people type things like "the combat system is so complicated I needed a computer to help me do the math" and come out thinking that yes, this is a good game.

Like, if the game embraced that and came with software so you never had to bother with the nitty-gritty that would be one thing, but christ, it kinda crossed the boundary away from hobby when I found myself writing a tick management program in Java back in 2e.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
The fluid combat initiative is a bad part of the system. The rest of combat is actually quite fun, but the fluid initiative stands out as "I see what you're trying to do, but you REALLY need to find a better way".

In the end, Exalted 3e is fun despite its flaws, not because of them. Perfect? Not by a very long shot. Fun? Certainly.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Kaza42 posted:

The fluid combat initiative is a bad part of the system. The rest of combat is actually quite fun, but the fluid initiative stands out as "I see what you're trying to do, but you REALLY need to find a better way".

In the end, Exalted 3e is fun despite its flaws, not because of them. Perfect? Not by a very long shot. Fun? Certainly.

Hell, I had lots of fun with 2e, but that had very little to do with the mechanics of the game. The momentum system really does seem cool, and I think is a great take on narrative combat, but they just kept adding more and more ctuft on what was a pretty elegant system, not to mention keeping way too much baggage from earlier editions. I'd really love to see someone give it the same treatment sacred bbq did to 4th edition, cut the crap and try to get to the essence of what makes the system work.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

axelsoar posted:

How do people type things like "the combat system is so complicated I needed a computer to help me do the math" and come out thinking that yes, this is a good game.

That's like asking why people bother with games that deal in fiddly, overly complicated, hard to estimate invisible bullshit (such as fighting games with heaps upon heaps of complicated system mechanics). It's worth the effort in the end.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Transient People posted:

That's like asking why people bother with games that deal in fiddly, overly complicated, hard to estimate invisible bullshit (such as fighting games with heaps upon heaps of complicated system mechanics). It's worth the effort in the end.

But fighting games are about technical mastery, being able to pull off crazy obscene combos you have learned how by being able to input like 50 commands in a few seconds.

Exalted is about punching the Mask of Winters with a golden magic powerfist into the screaming mouth of oblivion.

Fiddly systems benefit the first one, and hinder the second.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

axelsoar posted:

But fighting games are about technical mastery, being able to pull off crazy obscene combos you have learned how by being able to input like 50 commands in a few seconds.

Exalted is about punching the Mask of Winters with a golden magic powerfist into the screaming mouth of oblivion.

Fiddly systems benefit the first one, and hinder the second.

...No? Or rather, yes, but what I mean is, Exalted is a roleplaying game. Game mastery is always a part of it. It's totally fine to not care for that half of it, but that doesn't mean there's no feeling of accomplishment to it, especially with a system so detailed. If you think people don't enjoy playing the game well I don't know what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Transient People posted:

...No? Or rather, yes, but what I mean is, Exalted is a roleplaying game. Game mastery is always a part of it. It's totally fine to not care for that half of it, but that doesn't mean there's no feeling of accomplishment to it, especially with a system so detailed. If you think people don't enjoy playing the game well I don't know what to tell you.

Is system mastery an excuse for a game to be willfully obtuse? Like is "This game is super complex and requires a ton of regularly updated tracking so that the few players that can finally grok it will feel awesome?" a good model for design?

• Locked thread