Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Has ORD suddenly become a magical fantasy wonderland? I always thought that was the absolute worst airport to transfer through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 28, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sassafras posted:

That's a deliberate design feature so that you don't have to wait ages at the baggage carousel which makes people crankier than a long walk. If no checked bags, oh well, tough!

What makes me cranky is people shuffling along at 1 km/h. I've just been on an airplane for 9 loving hours, let's get the blood flowing!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

Rime posted:

They also discovered a new 100 Billion barrel field in the UK this week, which is probably only around 10-30 Billion after extraction losses but still enough to make them energy independent for the next decade.

Granted, the production decline across the board by 2025 is going to be glorious to behold. If you want to make insane money, buy like buffet during this slump and hold as long as possible.

Pimpmust posted:

Or it's like all that sweet shale oil in California and like... 4 % of the initial claim. :iiam:

Basically, don't take "report commissioned by the field's developers" to be worth anything (but for tricking investors).

This article does a pretty decent take on a lot of media-propelled bollocks going around:
http://oilprice.com/Energy/Oil-Prices/Top-12-Media-Myths-On-Oil-Prices.html

Going back a little to this previous discussion on oil and the Gatwick find but something funny happened today:
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/gatwick-oil-gusher-claims-wildly-165413266.html

quote:

UK Oil & Gas Investments accused of making 'misleading' statements about scale of oil held on the Weald near Gatwick Airport

Gatwick the new Dallas? Think again.

A respected oil and gas expert has slammed claims made by entrepreneur David Lenigas that 100bn of oil lies under the South of England within a few miles of Gatwick Airport (Shanghai: 600463.SS - news) as "wildly optimistic" and "misleading".

http://uk.businessinsider.com/ukog-...ill-2015-4?r=US

quote:

The company that discovered 100 billion barrels of oil near a London airport just admitted it doesn't actually know how much oil is there

http://news.sky.com/story/1465217/oil-find-near-gatwick-clarified-by-owner

quote:

The company which reported a massive upgrade to an oil find near Gatwick Airport has conceded it was not in a position to properly size it up.

Last week's announcement that up to 100 billion barrels, a potentially "world-class" discovery, had been identified in the Weald Basin sparked excitement and scepticism.

That caution extended to other partners in the project, as previous estimates were as high as 40 billion and as low as 4.4 billion.

Shares in UK Oil & Gas Investments (UKOG) rose by more than 300% at one stage following its original statement last Thursday.

UKOG did not repeat the words "world class" in today's update, which was requested by the junior AIM market on which the company's shares trade.

That went fast :ms:

There's more in each link if you're interested.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

HookShot posted:

YVR is pretty good by international airport standards except for how they designed it so you have like a ten minute walk to customs when you arrive.

It's nice, but it irks me to no end that they have the entire thing done up inside like a goddamn Rainforest Cafe (remember those?) and I have to help pay for that nonsense every time I fly out of there.

Pearson is perfectly sensible by comparison. That could be their slogan, even: YYZ: Canada's AMS.

edit: Someone once tried defending YVR's palatial decorations by saying that "world class cities should have world class airports". I :lol: 'd so hard at that, as they got the relationship entirely backwards - the best cities all have terrible airports!

Lexicon fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 15, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What

Pearson is loving retarded. Transitioning from international to domestic is why one of my life goals is to get into a fistfight with a professional ~starchitect

Also shut your whore mouth. Schiphol loving rules.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lexicon posted:

It's nice, but it irks me to no end that they have the entire thing done up inside like a goddamn Rainforest Cafe (remember those?) and I have to help pay for that nonsense every time I fly out of there.

Pearson is perfectly sensible by comparison. That could be their slogan, even: YYZ: Canada's AMS.

edit: Someone once tried defending YVR's palatial decorations by saying that "world class cities should have world class airports". I :lol: 'd so hard at that, as they got the relationship entirely backwards - the best cities all have terrible airports!

I think AMS has a very nice airport (and about 100x better-planned than YYZ), and while it's not my cup of tea as a city, I think it would still rank on a list of the world's best.

Singapore, Hong Kong and Tokyo likewise, from what I've heard (especially Singapore).

Madrid's new terminal is quite nice too, provided you don't mind a bit of walking. I'm flying through Heathrow terminal 5 in a few weeks, we'll see how I like that one too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

Schiphol loving rules.

It's true, it's probably the best airport I've ever been to in the world.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Pimpmust posted:

Going back a little to this previous discussion on oil and the Gatwick find but something funny happened today:
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/gatwick-oil-gusher-claims-wildly-165413266.html

http://uk.businessinsider.com/ukog-...ill-2015-4?r=US

http://news.sky.com/story/1465217/oil-find-near-gatwick-clarified-by-owner

That went fast :ms:

There's more in each link if you're interested.

Hah, thanks for the update, that is hilarious. So much for the UK being energy independent! :v:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

PT6A posted:

I think AMS has a very nice airport (and about 100x better-planned than YYZ)

I phrased that poorly. I just meant that AMS is a sensible airport.

YYZ's international => domestic thing is indeed stupid. I had forgotten about that. I was really just talking about the fact that it looks clean and airporty, and that a photo of its interior wouldn't be mistaken for a still of the ape stronghold from Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, unlike YVR.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

It's true, it's probably the best airport I've ever been to in the world.

Schipol does rock, but Dubai's airport is amazing. Too bad the city sucks.

Canadian content, NS film credit protest going on now.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Yeah gently caress you landlord!!!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I don't get the love for Dubai. Incredibly sterile airport. Used to travel internationally on business a lot before going back to school, Singapore and Hong Kong were great in terms of getting in and out.
Tokyo had good amenities. JFK and LGA were nightmares. Heathrow even worse.

In terms of airlines, can't beat Singapore Airlines although the first class food options on JAL/ANA were the best ever.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle23959859/

quote:

“The decline in commodity prices is having a large effect on income, with Canada’s real gross domestic income (GDI) decreasing by 0.7 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2014. Canada’s terms of trade declined by about 8 per cent in the fourth quarter and are estimated to have continued to deteriorate in the first quarter of 2015 … A number of signals suggest that the reduction in domestic incomes, profits and wealth associated with this deterioration is already affecting household spending.”

“In recent months, unemployment rates have increased in the main oil-producing provinces as well, interprovincial migration to Alberta has declined by over 65 per cent since the middle of last year and is at its lowest level since the third quarter of 2011. Households in oil-producing regions also appear to be reacting strongly Consumer confidence, housing activity and retail sales have all shown outsized weakness in Alberta and, to a lesser extent, in the other oil-producing provinces.”

“At the national level, a soft landing in the housing sector continues to be the most likely scenario, with residential investment as a share of GDP expected to edge down over the projection horizon. Nevertheless, elevated house prices and debt levels relative to income continue to leave households vulnerable. The adverse impact of the oil price shock in Alberta and continued robust price growth in Toronto and Vancouver suggest a risk of a correction in these markets. While historical experience suggests that localized Canadian house price cycles, both in terms of the factors behind the boom as well as the correction, have typically not spilled over to other regions, it would be a major event if it occurred.”

But …

“Beyond the energy sector, the natural sequence of stronger exports, increased investment and improved employment opportunities is progressing, even though the temporary weakening in the U.S. economy early in the year has slowed this process. Looking ahead, this sequence will be bolstered by strengthening U.S. demand and by the considerable easing in financial conditions that has occurred, resulting in part from the January cut to the target for the overnight rate. As the impact of the oil price shock on growth starts to dissipate, this natural sequence is expected to re-emerge as the dominant trend around mid-year.”

“Easier credit conditions, together with the 8-per-cent decline in the value of the Canadian dollar relative to the assumption in the January report, will help to mitigate the negative effects of the decline in oil prices. They will facilitate the sectoral adjustment needed to strengthen investment, improve firms’ cash flows and provide support to household spending.”

“The January cut in the target for the overnight rate should help to mitigate financial pressures in the household sector by cushioning the decline in income and employment caused by lower oil prices. It also reduces the likelihood of a more adverse scenario that could cause stress in the financial system.”

“A sustained expansion in U.S. residential investment - a key market for Canada’s exports - has been slow to materialize. However, with robust growth in labour income, low mortgage rates and signs that household formation is improving, new housing construction is still expected to post strong growth later this year.”

~*~*~*~*S O F T L A N D I N G*~*~*~*~

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Lexicon posted:

YYZ's international => domestic thing is indeed stupid. I had forgotten about that. I was really just talking about the fact that it looks clean and airporty, and that a photo of its interior wouldn't be mistaken for a still of the ape stronghold from Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, unlike YVR.

It's better than what they had planned with having people commute from Pearson to a different airport in the east.

Which ended up happening with Dorval and Mirabel. That ended well.

Pearson's always had a pretty beleaguered history, with huge terminal space issues in the 70s, and any airport expansion opposed by the people who lived around there.

Apparently I should have spent more time admiring Schiphol because I don't remember much about it, other than I was able to navigate it pretty effectively at 5 AM, exhausted and still kinda stoned.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dreylad posted:

Apparently I should have spent more time admiring Schiphol because I don't remember much about it, other than I was able to navigate it pretty effectively at 5 AM, exhausted and still kinda stoned.

That's basically what I remember about it too, though I wasn't stoned. It's not an amazing piece of architecture or anything, as I recall, it's just the easiest airport to use, navigate and access that I've ever seen. And, really, isn't that the whole point of an airport? Amenities and architecture are nice touches, but functionality has to be number one. I also found IAH very easy to navigate, even between terminals.

I'm hoping Heathrow isn't too terrible. I'm flying BA the whole way and I'm staying in transit, so I should have a fairly easy go of things, from what I've heard. I'm told that, provided you don't have to change terminals or leave, it's at least pleasant.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
All of you loving people that go to Amsterdam to get stoned please go kill yourself. What is otherwise probably one of the nicest places in the world to live is partially ruined by weed tourists.

Unironically, the suburbs of Amsterdam are sublime places to visit.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Has there ever been a crash that people in power predicted? Instead of just saying "oh things look bad but it will all be fine"

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

etalian posted:

Vancouver is hilarious since it has no jobs but has SF housing price ridiculous.

It's different though. Both places have absurdly expensive real estate, but renting in Vancouver is dramatically cheaper than SF.

The cost of renting in SF is completely absurd with 1Br being $3k+ being the norm, whereas in Vancouver it's "only" ~$1200. If you hunt around it's still possible to find something for under $1k. As a result if you can cobble together a down payment it seems very much worth it to buy in SF vs renting.

I have no idea what causes this odd dynamic of super high rents in SF. High housing prices in Vancouver has not caused a similar sky high rent.

There are tons of software folks getting big 6 figure salaries in SF so I guess they're bidding up all the rentals across the city but not as many buying houses? Everyone I know in SF immediately tried to buy a house because the rent was so high. Given the salaries in SF the price of housing doesn't seem that bad...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Has there ever been a crash that people in power predicted? Instead of just saying "oh things look bad but it will all be fine"

There are always people that predict the crash, they just tend to be in the vast minority.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Femtosecond posted:

I have no idea what causes this odd dynamic of super high rents in SF.

It's the least odd dynamic in the world. Rents are paid for out of current income; so high income implies high rent. That's why Vancouver rent is pretty low in comparison - huge swaths of the working population earn peanuts.

Houses are, crucially, not paid for out of current income. They are paid for with credit or existing wealth. As the former becomes cheaper and/or more lax, it supports ever ascending prices - an effect that can be orthogonal to income.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

All of you loving people that go to Amsterdam to get stoned please go kill yourself. What is otherwise probably one of the nicest places in the world to live is partially ruined by weed tourists.

I agree. I did it, and I wish I hadn't, and I wish that other people wouldn't. It was the least fun part of being in Amsterdam, and the stoned jackasses wandering around made everything so much worse.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Lexicon posted:

It's the least odd dynamic in the world. Rents are paid for out of current income; so high income implies high rent. That's why Vancouver rent is pretty low in comparison - huge swaths of the working population earn peanuts.

Houses are, crucially, not paid for out of current income. They are paid for with credit or existing wealth. As the former becomes cheaper and/or more lax, it supports ever ascending prices - an effect that can be orthogonal to income.

Right I understand that mechanism. I guess what I mean is that it's odd to me because the balance of rent to housing costs seems a bit off where I'd expect it to be.

Really now that I'm thinking of it, it's clearly SF that's the "normal" market, and Vancouver is the "odd" one as some housing prices in Vancouver have no relationship to the average income. The difference in rent/house prices between SF and Vancouver I think lend weight to the argument that outside money is substantially impacting the Vancouver market.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Also [Airport Chat] clearly Gander is the best airport in all of Canada. http://www.dwell.com/rewind/article/aviation-preservation#3

It sounds like it's under risk of demolition, but people at least recognize there's some heritage value here. I hope they can come up with some solution.

https://www.heritagecanada.org/en/issues-campaigns/top-ten-endangered/explore-past-listings/newfoundland-and-labrador/gander-internati

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Femtosecond posted:

Right I understand that mechanism. I guess what I mean is that it's odd to me because the balance of rent to housing costs seems a bit off where I'd expect it to be.

Really now that I'm thinking of it, it's clearly SF that's the "normal" market, and Vancouver is the "odd" one as some housing prices in Vancouver have no relationship to the average income. The difference in rent/house prices between SF and Vancouver I think lend weight to the argument that outside money is substantially impacting the Vancouver market.

I've made this exact point in conversation numerous times in the past. Exogenous* money has to be a factor, because the wages to support such an expensive real estate market by and large don't exist in Vancouver itself. Loose credit of course is a big issue also, but the credit terms are largely country-wide (CMHC etc) whereas Vancouver has a uniquely large price to rent disparity.

* No, that doesn't automatically mean China!!!1 It just means external-to-Vancouver-itself

Lexicon fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 15, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
biking through Amsterdam was a lot of fun, as was going down the canal on a friend's houseboat, and it apparently has the highest number of museums per km2 in europe, which I can believe because I went to a dozen of them over three days. The Rembrandt House was one of the highlights for me.

I only get stoned at the camper hostel the night before I was leaving.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Or cheap credit domestically.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I kinda hated the amstedam airport because there was nowhere to sit but on the floor while you were waiting for your flight. No seating at all in the actual gate waiting hallways.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Unironically, the suburbs of Amsterdam are sublime places to visit.

The Netherlands are my favorite place in the world. The architecture, culture, music scene, food, beer, people, and landscape all appeal to me.

I'm going to Defqon 1 this June it's gonna be one of the best moments of my life.

Amsterdam isn't the only good city. If someone told me I could go live in Utrecht I'd drop everything and leave in an instant.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

PT6A posted:

And also Pearson is a terrible, garbage airport. I haven't been to JFK or LAX, so I can't compare those, but YYZ is definitely worse than AMS, about equal with Frankfurt, and significantly worse than IAH.

Pearson is a loving paradise compared to Newark, the reigning shithole of Airports. You need to fly more if you think IAH is a good airport, Christ. My current favorite is SLC but I'm sure it's been renovated to poo poo recently like Logan's and Cincinnati did.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

Also [Airport Chat] clearly Gander is the best airport in all of Canada. http://www.dwell.com/rewind/article/aviation-preservation#3

It sounds like it's under risk of demolition, but people at least recognize there's some heritage value here. I hope they can come up with some solution.

https://www.heritagecanada.org/en/issues-campaigns/top-ten-endangered/explore-past-listings/newfoundland-and-labrador/gander-internati

Considering the crucial role it played as 9/11 was happening, I feel like closure would be an irresponsible option. Planes will continue to have emergencies.

Also, WestJet could consider using it as a stopover on its way to Europe, because they are retards who imagine that people will enjoy flying transatlantic on a tiny, lovely Boeing 737 with economy-class seating. I mean, Dublin and Glasgow? Give me a loving break, it's like they introduced those routes just because they could. Yet still no direct flights to Havana, no matter how many times I ask them.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kraftwerk posted:

Amsterdam isn't the only good city. If someone told me I could go live in Utrecht I'd drop everything and leave in an instant.

Yeah my one big regret when I was in Netherlands was not going to visit Utretch. some dutch girls I met in paris sold me on it pretty quickly, but there wasn't enough time.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I love the Ottawa airport. But at the same time, gently caress Ottawa and the assholes who think that city deserves an awesome airport.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

Pearson is a loving paradise compared to Newark, the reigning shithole of Airports. You need to fly more if you think IAH is a good airport, Christ. My current favorite is SLC but I'm sure it's been renovated to poo poo recently like Logan's and Cincinnati did.

I made it across terminals in IAH in 15 minutes to catch a tight connection after United and Air Canada had both done their best to gently caress me leaving Calgary. That simply couldn't be done in YYZ, and it would be a loving struggle in most other large hubs, if not outright impossible (LHR or FRA? Forget about it!).

Also Pappadeaux's was delicious, and they served Shiner Bock in the United Club.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
What the actual gently caress does two pages of discussing airports around the world have to do with the Canadian Debt Bubble?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It's social marking. Basically the most Vancouver way of passive aggressively telling you we're better than you.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Rime posted:

What the actual gently caress does two pages of discussing airports around the world have to do with the Canadian Debt Bubble?

we're all gonna be too poor to ever see them again

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

I love the Ottawa airport. But at the same time, gently caress Ottawa and the assholes who think that city deserves an awesome airport.

The Ottawa airport loving sucks, gently caress the stupid international lane that always disembarks at the far end.

Rime posted:

Canadians have spent too much time and money flying.

PT6A posted:

I made it across terminals in IAH in 15 minutes to catch a tight connection after United and Air Canada had both done their best to gently caress me leaving Calgary. That simply couldn't be done in YYZ, and it would be a loving struggle in most other large hubs, if not outright impossible (LHR or FRA? Forget about it!).

Also Pappadeaux's was delicious, and they served Shiner Bock in the United Club.
You call and demand on a hold on the fly in the air, learn to fly son (note, this only works if you have multiple people missing the connection anymore)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

sbaldrick posted:

You misspelled "LaGuardia." Newark is easily the best of the NYC-area airports.

Orlando is a pretty awful airport. But that may be due more to the clientele than to the facilities.