Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Radish posted:

The most Warhammery moment ever was when the local store did a Clash of Worlds event where it was Warhammer Fantasy versus 40k megabattle. Everyone brought something like 200-300 points to fill up three tables worth of stuff and the base rules changed depending on whose turn it was. The local power gamers were the Fantasy players and just brought a ton of cannons and blew up all of the 40k tanks on the first turn since they were stronger than lascannons and could hit multiple vehicles.

That sounds awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The guys running that store were legitimately awesome but GW headquarters hated them since they didn't really do much of the mandated up-selling, instead relying on having a store where you had friendly staff that would shoot the poo poo with you and neat weekly events and leagues to get customers.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Radish posted:

The guys running that store were legitimately awesome but GW headquarters hated them since they didn't really do much of the mandated up-selling, instead relying on having a store where you had friendly staff that would shoot the poo poo with you and neat weekly events and leagues to get customers.

That sounds idiotic, clearly if you're not sending every pre-pubescent boy home with a £35 Eldar codex you deserve to be fired, out of a cannon into the sun.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kai Tave posted:

So here's my X-Wang story.

When I found out that there's a no poo poo actually good game store in Longview Washington one of the first things I bought there, on impulse, was an X-Wing starter set. Fast forward like three or four months and I still haven't played it though I've been regularly going there for board game night. I get to talking about X-Wing and some of the store regulars are like "hey come over on Thursday and we'll run you through some games."

Holy gently caress you're from Longview. First off, I'm sorry. Second, did you get recruited by Panascope/Hixson yet?

Also are you a mountain troll? These questions are related.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm not from Longview, my rootless, meandering trek across the continental United States has simply brought me into proximity thereof. Which (un)fortunately means I don't know the appropriate responses to those challenge phrases.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
There's a group of trash-talking 40k goon ne'er-do-wells up in the Washington area, and he's asking if they've let you into their clubhouse and sold your army yet.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ah. Then the answer is "no" and "I may be dumb enough to spend $300 on plastic toy ships but I'm not dumb enough to buy into 40K."

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I imagine they'd sell your X-Wangs too if you left them on the table and turned your back for a moment

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Obviously there's a story here and I would love to hear more about it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sounds like you're too cool for our group. Us smelly warhams will just have to keep to ourselves.

If you run into Hixson though, be careful. He once sold Panascope's entire army on ebay after he left it on his table for too long. One moment he was playing, then bam, $85 on ebay.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
what an rear end whole

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Cool is the last word anyone has every used to describe me, but I appreciate the sentiment.

For real though, one goon sold another goon's army? Like, just "hey I sold your poo poo, lol"? That's hilarious.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
If anyone is in southern New England and not an anti social sperg ya can play 2nd ed 40k with me. You don't even need armies since I have a ton. Then again Dark Vengeance is basically a 1500 point Dark Angel list if you load up on war gear.

Also X Wing so I can rationalize all the poo poo I've got and have used even less than Wings of War. :smith:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Leperflesh posted:

Oh god guys, no, no! We're going to get another page about loving Gundams now!

Twenty-seven dollars.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh poo poo, you know what? I just bought a Gundam model out of my Barnes and Noble clearance bin. Fifty percent off of a $36 kit.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeCrotch posted:

Was Apocalypse ever a big thing in the US? Maybe it's just because I live in Nottingham but here it felt like it was being pushed in a big way, and seeing people's reaction to it made me wonder just how brainwashed the people who played 40k were. it was like GW was this awesome uncle who had just given you an excuse to buy even more overpriced models, because now you could use them in *huge battles*. It was bizarre.

The defining moment for me was when one games day me and bunch of mates started playing a 6 player game of Twilight Imperium at the same time as another bunch of guys started playing an apocalypse game. 6-7 hours later, we are finishing our game of TI and getting kicked out of the building. We asked the 40k players how far they got as they are packing up. "Oh, about half way through turn 3."

There's no saving some people.

GW mastered the art of creating anticipation, but it was anticipation for something that doesn't exist. That's how they keep people on the 'hams for life. Like cocaine... it doesn't feel like much when you actually do it, but you keep wanting more anyway.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
its a good time to talk about gundam kits

cause apparently theres a FW titan coming that will cost near $1000

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Moola posted:

its a good time to talk about gundam kits

cause apparently theres a FW titan coming that will cost near $1000

$1180 USD for the body, probably another $120 each per arm and carapace weapon

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
kill me

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Moola posted:

kill me

If I sold my car I would have 1/3 of the money needed to buy, arm and ship one

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

NTRabbit posted:

I hope they have a pre-order, I need three of those bad-boys.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

NTRabbit posted:

If I sold my car I would have 1/3 of the money needed to buy, arm and ship one

That Titan would qualify for free shipping from Forgeworld. People made the same mistake when they were talking about Warhammer prices in the Gundam models thread.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

NTRabbit posted:

If you are feeling stingy you can magnetize it instead of buying multiple bodies!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I like to think if I were rich I'd have something better to do with my money than plastic robots. I think my mom would be less disappointed if I spent $1,200 on coke to snort off a stripper. Hell, I know my wife would be less disappointed.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
you could probably buy a decent gaming PC and every warhammer 40k game ever made for that price

boom boom boom posted:

That Titan would qualify for free shipping from Forgeworld. People made the same mistake when they were talking about Warhammer prices in the Gundam models thread.

oh well in that case, solid investment m8

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Imagined posted:

I like to think if I were rich I'd have something better to do with my money than plastic robots. I think my mom would be less disappointed if I spent $1,200 on coke to snort off a stripper. Hell, I know my wife would be less disappointed.

Buying metal robots?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You mean the titan will cost 400 for the body and about 100 for the arms :smugdog: :ussr: :china:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BULBASAUR posted:

You mean the titan will cost 400 for the body and about 100 for the arms :smugdog: :ussr: :china:

Nah, they don't have the Thunderhawk or Manta, they won't have this one either imo

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
because theres no money in it I reckon

only the dumb whales buy that poo poo anyway

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Moola posted:

because theres no money in it I reckon
There's a market for third party Transformers combiners that go from 12 inches to 24 inches and cost three to six hundred, the market must be exceptionally tiny if they can't sell recasts to the same sort of people

I don't know poo poo about the recasting industry I'm just a bit surprised

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
nah I reckon there aint no money in it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Instead of spending $1200 to buy a model of a robot, you could buy an actual robot. Like, an actual, articulated, human-shaped (or scorpion shaped or dinosaur shaped), autonomous robot.

quote:

This premium BIOLOID robotic construction set includes the fully programmable Robotis CM-530 microcontroller for the brain and a set of 18 Dynamixel AX-12A smart servos for the muscles. Sensors include a dual axis gyroscope and an infrared distance measurement sensor. A rechargeable 11 V LiPo battery pack and charger is included to power your robotic creations.

Learn advanced robotics programming the easy way with the powerful RoboPlus programming software. RoboPlus features an inverse kinematics engine and 3D motion animator to help you achieve advanced robot movements. The rich RoboPlus graphical interface also provides C-style programming.

With the BIOLOID Premium Robot Kit, you can build a walking humanoid robot and 29 other robot projects by following detailed online instructions. Start with the simple robot projects and work your way up a step at a time. Soon you'll be a master roboticist creating advanced projects like a six legged hexapod crawler and a premium humanoid walking robot. Create your own designs with the wide assortment of included parts.

This set comes complete with everything you need to get started including a quick start guide, 12V 5A power supply, battery pack, charger, remote controller, software, screw driver and a USB cable.

Just look at the details of this actual robot:

OK, so maybe the face looks a bit dumb, but... it's a face that can actually see things. Like, the robot can see. With its face or possibly it's chest, I'm not sure.

The robot could instead see you with its stinger. Or maybe it stings you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Ttde1Qf-g

Yeah. Like it can loving see you and sting you, because it decided to.

Put that motherfucking real actual robot down on your warhammer 40k table. Tell the nerds it's your titan proxy. And then watch their apoplexy as it stands the gently caress up and seeks out their forces and destroys them, on its own initiative, because, and I can't stress this enough: this is an actual, real, robot for the same price as your pretend model of a not real fictional robot, that does nothing but loving stand there unless you pick it up and move it with your pathetic human hands.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
an I also buy a robot frog to ride the robot scorpion?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Yeah for 27 bucks I can buy a static Warhams guy or a cool poseable robot model with awesome weapons.

Gunpla rocks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Moola posted:

an I also buy a robot frog to ride the robot scorpion?

Don't be the frog. Be the scorpion. You're both going down, but at least it's the other guy who is the chump.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I want a robot

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Well obviously games workshop products look bad when you compare them to other items you could be purchasing with your money instead. That's hardly fair!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The desire for wealth is in reality a desire for the ability to fill your house with robots.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

everythingWasBees posted:

The desire for wealth is in reality a desire for the ability to fill your house with robots.

this is true tbh

I just want more bigger better robots in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Leperflesh posted:

Put that motherfucking real actual robot down on your warhammer 40k table. Tell the nerds it's your titan proxy. And then watch their apoplexy as it stands the gently caress up and seeks out their forces and destroys them, on its own initiative, because, and I can't stress this enough: this is an actual, real, robot for the same price as your pretend model of a not real fictional robot, that does nothing but loving stand there unless you pick it up and move it with your pathetic human hands.

if it just started doing push ups to show off its sweet muscles that'd be hilar oh hey https://youtu.be/ULQCsmYvlcU?t=2m44s

• Locked thread