Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Two good articles here

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/04/14/justified-timothy-olyphant-walton-goggins-talk-about-fx-drama-finale/25799301

Time article http://time.com/3820097/walton-goggins-on-the-series-finale-of-justified-and-the-fate-of-boyd-crowder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The Markham versus Boyd fight was super disappointing. As was the showdown between Boone and Raylan. With that said it was still better than I thought it was going to be. A decent finale with a great final scene. Nicely done.

Teleporting Boyd from under a police helicopter and cordoned off area to someplace of questionable driving distance with a gunshot to the chest before markham does Ava in was a bit weak. (beating Raylan who drove) Kind of disjointed ep, but not horrible. Show will be missed, it is leaving big shoes to fill.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

isk posted:

Thank you, just might use this.

Not gonna spam the thread, but here are a few other options:

http://imgur.com/jE4xw4E,tIL8Fp5,P4gUYEQ,E29UseA,vJKGB6D

The fifth image you might be able to pretty easily turn into a two-frame animated gif.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
I'm going to miss this show, it has been the first thing I suggest to people who want a good show to watch and that will not change now that I've seen it all.

Can't wait for the spinoff Better Call Duffy.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Joust posted:

Can't wait for the spinoff Better Call Duffy.

Wynn-Dixie

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Fog Tripper posted:

Teleporting Boyd from under a police helicopter and cordoned off area to someplace of questionable driving distance with a gunshot to the chest before markham does Ava in was a bit weak. (beating Raylan who drove) Kind of disjointed ep, but not horrible. Show will be missed, it is leaving big shoes to fill.

Lol I really thought more people would be complaining about this, as it kinda let down the episode. I guess they just wanted to show Boyd throwing dynamite. I like to think Boyd found some mineshaft all those cops, dogs and helicopter couldnt see because Rachel and Art should be fired for letting him get away!

Disjointed is the best word. But I enjoyed the Boone scene though it felt as there was so early you didnt think Raylan was gonna die so early, last 5 minutes would have been differnt.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ally_1986 posted:

Disjointed is the best word. But I enjoyed the Boone scene though it felt as there was so early you didnt think Raylan was gonna die so early, last 5 minutes would have been differnt.

You know, there would still be time required for a wrap up if the main guy died with 15 minutes left in the episode. Hell with the never leaving Harlan alive song playing, i was 50/50 that was where they were gonna go with the last part of the episode.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Fog Tripper posted:

Didn't a random cop brag about the helicopter being FLIR-equipped shortly before it failed to find two people slowly struggling their way up a cold-rear end mountain?

"Oh poo poo, Suspect is throwing dynamite sticks like 50 feet, which of you heartland-based lawmen brought a rifle?"

*crickets*

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 15, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Subterfrugal posted:

Didn't a random cop brag about the helicopter being FLIR-equipped shortly before it failed to find two people slowly struggling their way up a cold-rear end mountain?

"Oh poo poo, Suspect is throwing dynamite sticks like 50 feet, which of you heartland-based lawmen brought a rifle?"

*crickets*

None of them did. Didn't you see them all firing at Boyd with their pistols while he was a good hundred yards away?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Also what are your final tier ratings of season big bads, go!

1. Mags and the Bennett clan - no contest
2. Quarles - Just super creepy and well played
3. Markham - Not far behind Quarles, there's just a really big gap between 1 and the rest
4. Augustine
5. Bo Crowder
6. Darryl Crowe - waaaay, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in last place.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
If we get a spinoff I want stephen root to be a main cast member in it, that is all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kin posted:

You know, there would still be time required for a wrap up if the main guy died with 15 minutes left in the episode. Hell with the never leaving Harlan alive song playing, i was 50/50 that was where they were gonna go with the last part of the episode.

Six Feet Under had the main character die with three episodes left.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tide posted:

1. Mags and the Bennett clan - no contest
2. Quarles - Just super creepy and well played
3. Markham - Not far behind Quarles, there's just a really big gap between 1 and the rest
4. Augustine
5. Bo Crowder
6. Darryl Crowe - waaaay, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in last place.

Would you say these track pretty well with your season-by-season rankings? The only difference I'd have with your list and how it corresponds to seasons is I'd move season 4 to 3rd place.

bobkatt013 posted:

Six Feet Under had the main character die with three episodes left.

Narm?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Quarles was always my favorite bad guy, but the Bennett clan as a whole was obviously a goldmine of excellent dialogue and scenes for years. Quarles just had some chilling scenes and felt more unhinged/unpredictable than the others.

Markham wasn't the best but I thought he was better rounded (humanized?) than the others through the relationship with Hale and his interactions with the townsfolk on an individual level. Wish Dillahunt had been around longer, but he and Boon were nice touches after the Florida Crowes of last season were generally pretty lame.

Going to start S1 again to refresh my memory on Bo. Don't have much of an opinion on Augustine now either, except I was recently stunned to learn he is Mike O'Malley from Nickelodeon's GUTS.

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011
"Jere Burns was actually in Fiji over the Christmas break and I asked him to get footage on a GoPro of him surfing in case we wanted to throw that in at the end of the episode. He wasn’t able to do it and I’m glad because I think it would have been a little too neat. But that was always our fantasy." :allears:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Would you say these track pretty well with your season-by-season rankings? The only difference I'd have with your list and how it corresponds to seasons is I'd move season 4 to 3rd place.

Narm?

Hard to say, really.

My favorite season as 4, then 2, then 3. But only by the most slim of margins that would probably change on a binge watch. Mags and Quarles were easily the most well written, well acted, incredibly nuanced bad guys. Markham was a bit of a slow burn that peaked in the scene with Ava in the barn. When he dragged Ava's chair close to him, Sam Elliot really turned it on, and I was all like "whoa, you in some serious trouble, girlfriend". And you know? I thought Katherine Hale was fantastic.

If I had to rank seasons, it would be 4, 2, 3, 6, and then 5. 5 is better on a re-watch, but having to wait on it weekly really made it drag out worse than it really did. Michael Rappaport and the Ava storyline hurt 5. Recast Darryl and remove the Ava story line and it's much much better.

Since 6 just ended, I haven't really had time to really consider it's place.

The problem with S1 is that it's all over the place with some really fantastic episodes, but also a couple stinkers. So for the sake of conversation, I almost want to remove 1 from the rankings and then break it down per episode.

Electromax posted:

Quarles was always my favorite bad guy, but the Bennett clan as a whole was obviously a goldmine of excellent dialogue and scenes for years. Quarles just had some chilling scenes and felt more unhinged/unpredictable than the others.

So, so much THIS.

Mags by herself doesn't push 2 as high as most people rank it. The combination of Mags, Dickie, and Coover was just amazing writing and acting all the way around. Quarles is the only one that genuinely creeped me out and made me scared for anyone that happened to be in the same room with him at the time.

Tide fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 15, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Great show, great episode, great story.

Farewell Hellen-Maeh

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
If I had to lodge one complaint it would be that the resolution to the events in Harlan was slightly rushed, and the whole sequence from the beginning to Raylan v. Boon could've used 5-7 extra minutes.

Even then that's not a major flaw, just a personal nitpick. Aside from that I am completely satisfied with how the episode turned out.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I would have liked to have seen another 20 minutes or so added on. And less commercials what felt like every 4 damned minutes.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Woo, I am the one who called the hat shot. What do I win?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Woo, I am the one who called the hat shot. What do I win?

Some apple pie in a jar.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Villains, RANKED:

1. Boyd: In the end, the most resourceful and he's still alive.
2. Mags/Bennet clan
3. Markham - Quarles without the screw lose. Less cartoony.
4. Quarles
5. Augustine - He was more effective than Quarles, but he also had a lot more muscle help
6. Bo Crowder

7-96. All the lower level guys like Picker, etc.

97. Darryl Crowe

Seasons, RANKED:

1. Season 2 (One of the best seasons of TV ever, for any show.)
2. Season 4
3. Season 1
4. Season 6
5. Season 3
6. Season 5

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 15, 2015

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Raylans new hat combined with his vintage tee & flannel made his Miami look a little toooo hipster :(

Great finale though

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Raylans new hat combined with his vintage tee & flannel made his Miami look a little toooo hipster :(

Winona also seemed to find someone who will put hits out on her. Her second husband was so so stupid.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

My only problem with the last season is how they shortchanged Winona. She gets a scene saying "Let's make this work!" And then the only follow-up we get is 4 years later it didn't work. Did they even try? Why even have those scenes where she comes to Kentucky?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The black hat at the end was sort of a tribute to Elmore Leonard in that he never liked to hat Raylan wore. He always wanted a smaller one that sat higher on his head as described in Fire In The Hole

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Look Sir Droids posted:

Why even have those scenes where she comes to Kentucky?

To give Raylan a pressing reason to leave.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The only way this could have ended better is if Ian McShane drove a big rig into Raylan to the soothing sounds of a gothic Peg Bundy version of "YNLHA"

Thank you Justified :clint:

I also liked that Raylan couldn't give up the badge in Miami and had to give up Winona instead.

Oh and BabbyBoyd needed to be super skinny with a weird eraserhead fro and unusually bright teeth instead of looking like Constable Bob's kid.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 15, 2015

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I liked the shoutout to George Higgins/Friends of Eddie Coyle, very cool.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Seasons 2&1 were great, 6&4 pretty good, 3 was ok, but 5 was garbage.

I never thought Justified was a technically great show, but rather most episodes had at least one really bad rear end moment that kind of lifted the whole thing.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Pretty satisfying ending to a pretty satisfying show.

Sad to see it go.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Keyser S0ze posted:

Oh and BabbyBoyd needed to be super skinny with a weird eraserhead fro and unusually bright teeth instead of looking like Constable Bob's kid.

They should have had him speak in some very flowery language.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Na, I'd rather just retcon Zachariah as constable Bob's kid. He and Ava were alone together briefly, and he's drat charming.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Na, I'd rather just retcon Zachariah as constable Bob's kid. He and Ava were alone together briefly, and he's drat charming.

There was an interview that said they were thinking of having Bob be the one who got Ava out.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

It wouldn't make much sense for it to be Bob, him being gutshot and all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

We know he can take a beating!

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Drewmama

Drewbacca

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Well he wasn't dickshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
I really feel like this was the best outcome that could have happened. Like was said earlier, they could have had goons linger take out Raylan, but this story isn't a tragedy so they didn't. It's all about the lead (Raylan, to a lesser extent Ava) learning a little bit of a lesson and changing a tiny bit throughout the story. Ava got out, Raylan learned that there are more important things than killing bad guys. Boyd goes to jail, and we see him revert back to his preaching days. I did very much dislike the time jump. I would have been much happier if the final scene had been Raylan holding his daughter after getting off a plane. Overall this season still doesn't rank up there with the best of them, but I do give it a 4/5 for the latter episodes more than the first half of the season. It's just good, fun television.

• Locked thread