Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The good news just keeps coming from Verizon. And Frontier.

I mentioned that a friend's husband had gotten his layoff notice, as had his boss. His boss is in her 50s with cancer, with only project manager experience. Realistically, nobody will hire his boss, between the age, medical issues, and her only experience being project management. Friend's husband is hireable, as he's relatively young (30s) with plenty of engineering (both software and hardware) experience.

Friend just got laid off as well. She has numerous health issues and may as well be uninsurable in terms of a private policy - she was able to work from home whenever she couldn't get out of bed (she was also an engineer for them). She just tried to get a job delivering pizza, and was told they only hire full time, even though she took her daughter with her and said "I need to be able to care for my kid". They said they'd "think about it".

They went from a combined $180k household income to about $15k in about a week, with kids, two car payments, and a mortgage, and a semi disabled person in the house. They do have enough saved to float for 6 months, but it's one kick in the balls after another.

I know it's a drop in the bucket, but I'm switching back to *shudder* Time Warner for TV. I'll only keep Verizon for internet until Frontshit takes over, at which point I know the first phone call for anything will result in my speeds being cut to less than half, and having worked there, I also know the first phone call will result in cramming of services on my bill that will take months to fix.

I also found out yesterday that Pizza Hut does offer medical now - but you have to have been there for a year, and the deductible is nearly $7,000 before it pays a penny, and runs $150/month. I'll keep my dirty liberal Obamacare with its $0 deductible @ $65/month. And by this time next year I'm hoping to be making triple what I make now anyway.

Last of the rambling rant - I finally spoke to the hospital I visited in October. They were a bit pushy about trying to set up a payment plan, even discounting what's owed by about $500 (I owe over $2000) until I said "ma'am, I make $7.50 an hour, plus tips. My taxable income last year was under $20k. Even with the reasonable monthly payment you've offered, I would have to drop my medical insurance and allow my car to be reposessed to afford that." She immediately changed from pushing a payment plan to "I'll mail out the paperwork to apply for charity care, we'll need a copy of your tax return from last year and a recent paystub. Is your address still <Bucephalus>? Okay. Look for it to show up in a week or so. Best of luck to you." :smith:

(sorry for the wall of text.. laying in bed, can't sleep, and have to be up in 6.5 hours.. at least I'm nearly a week ahead on my homework now)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

some texas redneck posted:

There's a bit of insulation that's brown now.. :smith: I had the briefest sensation of a tiny fart.

April chat thread: follow through by STR.

Seriously though good to hear the drinking is down, I hope the new job combined with college looking like the light at the end of the tunnel gives you reason to stay soberer.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I love when my boss tells us to take it easy and go real slow. I hope we go out for lunch.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I just really can't be arsed to go to the gym these days.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

Join some kind of team or class, and/or get some workout buddies. It really helps when you can motivate each other.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I had very little interest in this game until you guys start posting stuff like this. Now it's on my wishlist :argh:

some texas redneck posted:

There's a pretty neat online clone of Cards Against Humanity. The local Alamo Drafthouse Cinema also hosts CAH in their bar once a week.
CAH online...nice. If there was a bar around here that did a CAH night they would get my money.

88h88 posted:

I make myself lift as soon as I wake up. If I don't I would skip workouts and eventually quit because by the time I get home from work I don't want to do poo poo. Alarm goes off, slam preworkout, get dressed and go lift.

KozmoNaut posted:

Join some kind of team or class, and/or get some workout buddies. It really helps when you can motivate each other.
That helps a lot as well. I haven't been able to find anyone willing to workout in my garage at 4am yet :(

Work bitching... We noticed a couple weeks ago a vendor sent us some equipment misconfigured, 8gb memory total instead of the 64gb we were charged for. How this made it through testing, factory trials and acceptance I have no idea. Took them a week to ship the memory we were supposed to have and they shipped it to the wrong place. Finally picked up the parts yesterday and get ready to put them in this morning. They didn't send enough to fill the empty slots and they are a different vendors memory so it won't play nice with the stuff we have. Damnit get your poo poo together vendors :fuckoff:

Hey possibly stupid question. Are all O2 sensors the same thread pitch and size? I'll eventually be running one on the 320i and need a bung welded onto my headers.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 15, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I hate people. :v:

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

88h88 posted:

Me too. Buy a bench or a cage for your garage/bedroom and use the guilt of spending the money to force you to work out. Works wonders for me :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

I am a horrible misanthrope and consider the vast majority of the population to be mouthbreathing oxygen-wasters who should just shut the gently caress up with their moronic blathering and stop being goddamn idiots all the time.

Even so, I think the people at my local gym are absolutely great workout buddies, and I genuinely look forward to going there, just because I like working out with them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I am a horrible misanthrope and consider the vast majority of the population to be mouthbreathing oxygen-wasters who should just shut the gently caress up with their moronic blathering and stop being goddamn idiots all the time.

Even so, I think the people at my local gym are absolutely great workout buddies, and I genuinely look forward to going there, just because I like working out with them.

The gym I use is on work campus (a university) and it's always full of dickhead students and they refit the entire gym and made the weights area smaller which means....

The Jabberwocky posted:

Me too. Buy a bench or a cage for your garage/bedroom and use the guilt of spending the money to force you to work out. Works wonders for me :v:

...this is probably going to have to be the way to go. I have considered it. Need to move house first though, current garage is old, leaky and packed to the gills with all my speaker kit. It's not like I don't get exercise, I do a solid 50 miles a week on the bike but it's all spinny leg work. Need to throw some weight about the joint. I really need to go check out this other gym in town which looks like it's populated by strongmen, if anything they'll kick my arse into going.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

The gym I use is on work campus (a university) and it's always full of dickhead students and they refit the entire gym and made the weights area smaller which means....

Ugh, that sucks.

I'm so glad the only machines at the gym I go to are rowing machines. Everything else is free weights, kettlebells, sleds, ropes, big fuckoff tractor tires and big fuckoff hammers, that sort of thing. We even have lifting platforms for proper olympic lifts :smug:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Ugh, that sucks.

I'm so glad the only machines at the gym I go to are rowing machines. Everything else is free weights, kettlebells, sleds, ropes, big fuckoff tractor tires and big fuckoff hammers, that sort of thing. We even have lifting platforms for proper olympic lifts :smug:

This just sounds like a rural Scandinavian barn :haw:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Jabberwocky posted:

I'd like to get a cage but they're still to big for the area I have now. Got a small flat bench and some hand weights, along with an awesome joist mounted pull up bar with some ab straps. I go to the gym now and then when I want to lift heavy weights, just don't have the room for them at home :(

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
roomates new gf has been staying over every night for the past week and a half with her little lovely dog that barks at everyone in the hallway. Normally she stays the weekend which is fine, her apartment is like 40 min away so I get it, and I like the girl and we actually get along great but when do I start charging rent?
I should ad she cleans and smokes me up all the time.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I go to Planet Fitness and for $10 a month it's fine for what I do now but it will really suck once I motivate myself to get more into lifting. No bench, cage, squat rack or place for dead lifts but they have four smith machines :downsgun:. The free weight area is crowded too since half the gym is taken up by cardio stuff. But it's gotten me to start going to the gym regularly so that's a plus. I even kept going after my friend that got me to start left (Deeters :argh:).

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My roommate's GF sleeps over about 4 times a week and uses the shower as well, but she usually showers with my roommate and eats his food, so I have a hard time bringing it up to him, even though I find her super loving annoying.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Hey possibly stupid question. Are all O2 sensors the same thread pitch and size? I'll eventually be running one on the 320i and need a bung welded onto my headers.

Almost all of them are M18x1.5 thread but there are some exceptions I think. I'd order the sensor and measure before having it welded.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

where the hell is my motivation today

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Another Wednesday, another tire stabbed to death on my work van. This time they also got 5 out of 6 tires on the box truck as well, and another coworker's van to boot. Also they smashed out a few windows in one of our outlying storage houses. This is the third week in a row that this poo poo has happened, it's getting real old.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

This just sounds like a rural Scandinavian barn :haw:

Right in the middle of northwest Copenhagen ;)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The Jabberwocky posted:

Garage, basement or spare bedroom gyms are the best gyms. Other than the temperature at times I love everything about my basic garage setup.

kastein posted:

Almost all of them are M18x1.5 thread but there are some exceptions I think. I'd order the sensor and measure before having it welded.
Probably a good idea. Need to figure out one I'm going to be running with Megasquirt then go from there.

Terrible Robot posted:

Another Wednesday, another tire stabbed to death on my work van. This time they also got 5 out of 6 tires on the box truck as well, and another coworker's van to boot. Also they smashed out a few windows in one of our outlying storage houses. This is the third week in a row that this poo poo has happened, it's getting real old.
No security cameras or anything? At some point they've got to realize how much time and money that crap is costing them.

One of the customers I work with has a nice collection of old cars, saw his Corvette and pickup this weekend. He called me to his office when I got in this morning to show me his next project. 1978 (I think) Jaguar XJ that was parked in 1984, 40k miles on it. Apparently the guy took amazing care of it but had a heart attack one day shortly after getting home from work so the car has sat untouched. No rust just layers of dust, paint is in great shape, interior looks spotless, engine bay looks drat clean for a car that's sat for 30 years. They're picking it up in the next couple weeks, I'll likely be helping with this and getting the thing running. Price paid $1000

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Probably a good idea. Need to figure out one I'm going to be running with Megasquirt then go from there.

Most aftermarket AFR/wbO2 systems seem to use an LSU 4.2 Bosch sensor. I'm annoyed by the prospect of paying several hundred dollars for a silly looking box with barrier strips instead of real connectors however so I'm working on designing my own LSU 4.9 interface since I found some LSU 4.9 wideband sensors on rockauto for $21 on clearance a while ago. :getin:

Unless you just want a regular old style narrowband, in which case search on rockauto for:
Part Group: Emission
Part Type: Oxygen Sensor

Then look through the results till you find a 4 wire that's got a connector you recognize. They're automatically sorted by price. I don't believe narrowband sensors really vary that much in calibration between makes/models, but I could be wrong, if so, make sure to verify the one you choose is megasquirt compatible or expect to have to come up with your own calibration curve for it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Ugh, that sucks.

I want all of that.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

So what do all the Danish moms do? Because American moms, a crucial part of any gym's income stream, seem to require complex machines which each work exactly one thing.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Nitrospazzz posted:

No security cameras or anything? At some point they've got to realize how much time and money that crap is costing them.

Haha no, I think there are like 5 cameras on campus total, and of those maybe 3 work. We've got one security guard on campus at night, so it would be ridiculously easy to get away with stuff like this. Maybe this will finally spur them to make some changes, but I doubt it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So March 15th was the last day that I didn't work at least 8 hours (it was an autocross day), and it's finallly caught up with my old, out of shape self. Just completely exhausted, even though the work isn't physically demanding (I'm a software QA guy), staring at XML 12 hours a day just wears me out. I don't think I've had a day without my eye muscles twitching and a headache for the last two weeks.

Today I took a sick day and plan to do absolutely nothing but mess around playing games and watching the last season of Game of Thrones that I've had on the counter for a month now. I might read a bit of an old fashioned book too, and take a nap.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

The Locator posted:

So March 15th was the last day that I didn't work at least 8 hours (it was an autocross day), and it's finallly caught up with my old, out of shape self. Just completely exhausted, even though the work isn't physically demanding (I'm a software QA guy), staring at XML 12 hours a day just wears me out. I don't think I've had a day without my eye muscles twitching and a headache for the last two weeks.

Today I took a sick day and plan to do absolutely nothing but mess around playing games and watching the last season of Game of Thrones that I've had on the counter for a month now. I might read a bit of an old fashioned book too, and take a nap.

This is where you say "YOUR MOVE, SHITLORD"

Meh. I should do something about lunch, but I can't be motivated today apparently.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I have been a Discount Tire loyalist for a while now. They are just spectacular in my area. As I have moved around Salt Lake all 3 locations I have patronized they have all been top notch and just basically give a blank stare when I hear people go anywhere else for their tires. I would probably let people get by for going to Costco, but all of Costco's tires are really overpriced.

Cat Terrist posted:

Netflix's Daredevil is just stupidly good.

This is on my list to watch during the summer break from all of the good shows that are wrapping up. This season of TV has been incredibly good. I have been enjoying the crap out of The Flash on CW. It is seriously good television and was a hell of a first season. I have the series finale of Justified waiting for me when I get home from work today. I am worried how it is going to finish :ohdear: Other shows on my list to watch are The Americans and TURN.

Also - I finally got my answers in for the AI Sheep Game if you haven't submitted answers yet then get to it! It is a Wednesday which means nothing really, other than now is as good of a time as any.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ssjonizuka posted:

This is where you say "YOUR MOVE, SHITLORD"

I should clarify that while I had way too much poo poo to do, and not enough time to do it in, I would absolutely not have gotten in trouble for not working the stupid hours I've been working. The hours were all on me because I knew that stuff needed to get done, and if I didn't do it, the likelihood of someone else actually stepping up to make sure it got done was basically zero. We've locked down the release since it pushes to production on Friday, so today would have been double checking stuff or looking at projects for the next release, which are all behind on the documentation side because this release was such poo poo.

I give it about a 60/40 chance that my manager's boss won't even let me use a PDO day for today, and will throw it into a general admin bucket on the time reporting.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Cat Terrist posted:

No, it became a very limited production car. As much as the GTR leaves me cold, Nissan doing something that batshit insane shows there is hope left

Shame, I'd buy that in a heartbeat (not that I could afford it). I love stupid engineering projects like that.

iwentdoodie posted:

For what it's worth, my wife loves her Escape. 2.0 with tow package. Until we got to California it averaged 30mpg, and did 23-25 with a ~3.5k trailer behind it.

I think if I bought a Ford my father would never talk to me again.

I sat in one at the auto show, and I really didn't like it. Everything felt cramped and squished together and the seat was mega uncomfortable. Also I'd only get a newer one, their last gen happy face design is really unappealing to me.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

The Locator posted:

I should clarify that while I had way too much poo poo to do, and not enough time to do it in, I would absolutely not have gotten in trouble for not working the stupid hours I've been working. The hours were all on me because I knew that stuff needed to get done, and if I didn't do it, the likelihood of someone else actually stepping up to make sure it got done was basically zero. We've locked down the release since it pushes to production on Friday, so today would have been double checking stuff or looking at projects for the next release, which are all behind on the documentation side because this release was such poo poo.

I give it about a 60/40 chance that my manager's boss won't even let me use a PDO day for today, and will throw it into a general admin bucket on the time reporting.

Nice! It was more a comment for you towards AI however, because I was jealous of your lackadaisical plan for the day. Admittedly, I don't have any supremely pressing deadlines of my own, nor do I have bosses that care enough to track my PTO - so it's all a wash for me were I to do something similar. I just want to be lazy and do things not at the computer for a bit now that the weather has been pretty drat nice for a few days and things are starting to turn green.

edit: It was a harrowing couple of minutes, but lunch issues resolved. nachos... mmmmmmmm.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 15, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So down here in Cali I was sweating my balls off and dying all yesterday and mom claimed it was only like 70 degrees. She asked if i wanted dad to pack a pair of shorts for me for the solvang trip as it could be 80 or higher and i told her no, because if it is i'll be constructing a rudimentary shelter and conserving my energy awaiting helicopter rescue.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

So down here in Cali I was sweating my balls off and dying all yesterday and mom claimed it was only like 70 degrees. She asked if i wanted dad to pack a pair of shorts for me for the solvang trip as it could be 80 or higher and i told her no, because if it is i'll be constructing a rudimentary shelter and conserving my energy awaiting helicopter rescue.

Where at, because it should be about 85 here in the desert.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Leaving San Jose heading southbound 101 with an eventual destination of the motorcycle museum in Solvang.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

El Jebus posted:

Where at, because it should be about 85 here in the desert.

Yeah, these temp swings are pissing me off. My house goes from freezing to hot as balls.

Edit: so my 10lb dog ate a bag of mixed chocolate candy a couple days ago. He just poo poo in the floor and there was literally a turd in a snickers wrapper.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 15, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kastein posted:

Most aftermarket AFR/wbO2 systems seem to use an LSU 4.2 Bosch sensor. I'm annoyed by the prospect of paying several hundred dollars for a silly looking box with barrier strips instead of real connectors however so I'm working on designing my own LSU 4.9 interface since I found some LSU 4.9 wideband sensors on rockauto for $21 on clearance a while ago. :getin:

Unless you just want a regular old style narrowband, in which case search on rockauto for:
Part Group: Emission
Part Type: Oxygen Sensor

Then look through the results till you find a 4 wire that's got a connector you recognize. They're automatically sorted by price. I don't believe narrowband sensors really vary that much in calibration between makes/models, but I could be wrong, if so, make sure to verify the one you choose is megasquirt compatible or expect to have to come up with your own calibration curve for it.
Ideally I'll be buying a "plug and play" setup off a guy who is eventually doing a M42 swap that may come with an O2 sensor but otherwise I'll just go with whatever cheap one megasquirt recommends. The less calibration and poo poo I have to do the better.

The Locator posted:

Your eyes would likely enjoy a break as well. I get this occasionally thanks to spending all day looking at computer screens. Naps and sitting outside avoiding screens helps me the most.

Yay off to fix more broken hardware. They say software can't break hardware...I have a pile of hardware that says otherwise.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Lol yeah the weather is super pleasant right now.

Solvang is cool for like an hour or two but it's weird. There's nothing to do unless you wanna eat pastries or shop. The wineries were cool but then Sideways came out and now there's like a hundred of them and their crazy overpriced tastings - you're better off in San Jose or points north.

Do yourself a favor and go to El Rancho market on the east end of town (halfway back to 154) and ask for a container of their Mississippi Caviar and a bag of tortilla chips. Grab whatever local red wine you can afford from their (rather good) selection and go hog wild. Best dip I've ever had unless you hate avocado.

The Hitching Post makes a drat good steak and their own wine. Don't go to AJ Spurs it's weird.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 15, 2015

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Leaving San Jose heading southbound 101 with an eventual destination of the motorcycle museum in Solvang.

Cool, but still a ways from me. If you ever make it out to Palm Springs I'll buy you a beer.

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, these temp swings are pissing me off. My house goes from freezing to hot as balls.

Edit: so my 10lb dog ate a bag of mixed chocolate candy a couple days ago. He just poo poo in the floor and there was literally a turd in a snickers wrapper.

It is starting to not cool off at night here, meaning the months of 100+ are just around the corner...

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

El Jebus posted:

Cool, but still a ways from me. If you ever make it out to Palm Springs I'll buy you a beer.

It is starting to not cool off at night here, meaning the months of 100+ are just around the corner...

It's dropping less, but still into the mid 50s here in Temecula.

I'm gonna be out your way next week I think. If my knee can stand it, I'm gonna ride out to PS and try to find that aviation museum I keep hearing about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Just have the dog a none-too-gentle nudge with the foot (sorry animal lovers) because he deliberately rolled a football under my feet as I was walking an uneven path, carrying a heavy basket with no view of my feet. If I'd have gone over I'd have been off work for months knowing my luck. As it was I've :airquote: only :airquote: jarred my back.

Cue wife shouting at me about kicking the dog, no loving concern for the sole breadwinner or his spine.

And we're looking after the in-laws dumb untrained poorly behaved golden retriever next week as well, funny how I had no say in that but when we go away we pay for a kennel. I might be working overtime next week.

• Locked thread