Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Traps are really weird in 5e anyway. If you go to the index of the PHB and look up "traps, finding" it refers you to Perception and Investigation elsewhere in the index. But if you follow that trail and thumb to page 178, neither Perception nor Investigation actually mention that they can be used to detect traps. In fact... I'm not sure the PHB anywhere teaches new players that traps are supposed to be a fairly prominent part of dungeoncrawling.

But what makes this even stranger is that the PHB's index implies that both Perception and Investigation can be used to detect traps, but the DMG states that it's only Perception that can do this. (It also mentions the Arcana skill for magic traps, but again the PHB's description of the Arcana skill says nothing of the sort - and neither did its index.)

But wait, hang on, the PHB does mention traps on page 178. Not under the skill descriptions but briefly in a sidebar. But they advice that skill checks aren't enough, you have to also specifically mention where you are looking in order for this to work. In other words, it's "pixelbitching", the passive-aggressive DM style where you make people investigate each spot and object separately. And they advice this. Were you looking for traps? Well, sorry, you didn't say you were looking at this one specific flagstone so the pressure plate is now activated. But we are still not done. Because the DMG states that a general Perception check is enough without saying you need to look at specific spots, and even that passive Perception can be sufficient to notice that trap in passing. Better yet, looking in a specific spot can automatically find the trap without the need for any skill check whatsoever. A fairly obvious and big contradiction of the PHB.

I find myself once again awestruck by how incompetently these books were written. This is really, really basic stuff. This isn't some complex interaction between randomized treasure charts and specific spell list choices, it's "do I know how to resolve this basic D&D task and does my book say so?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Oh god, that section of the DMG is just awful - where they distinguish a "secret door", which you find by searching, from a "concealed door" which you have to find by stating you're taking an action. The example they give is that a door that's hidden behind a curtain would not be found with a Perception or Investigation check (!) because you have to say you're moving the curtain.

It also says that in addition to disarming a trap with a skill, you can "foil a trap" by just taking actions that invalidate it, such as avoiding a poison needle trap by pushing a chest open from a distance with a pole. That's fair enough, but has the implication that if you use the disarm skill, that's not what you did.

In other words Mearls wants to bring back SOPs and pixelbitching for some reason. It's a miracle he didn't reintroduce the Identify Dance as well.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nah it's fine if you just don't use traps.

e: Obviously don't tell your players you're not using traps though.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Shank someone for a ton of damage from stealth or if an ally is near. Being able to move around much faster, bail from combat without being punished for it and the ability to hide in the same turn you revealed yourself using Cunning action. Being able to halve damage against yourself using your reaction. Avoiding half or all the damage from area of effect attacks. Always being able to take a 10 on your ability checks. Being able ignore advantage. Being able to hit or succeed when you fail.

These are the abilities that all rogues get. The Bard is equal purely on the skill part even then it falls behind once the Rogue gets the power to never roll lower then 10.

Bard is a fantastic class but it can't do everything the rogue can do.

Did you literally just read the rogue abilities off in order?

Sneak Attack sucks, its unreliable and doesn't really give you much more damage.

Due to limited reactions and the way attack of ops work, its pretty drat easy to move around in combat. If you want to eat your reaction to reduce 1 attacks damage go nuts, everything in this game has multiple attacks even as early as level 5.

Evasion is the one nice thing a Rogue really gets and given the way aoes tend to work, it usually means everyone stops to heal anyway. Also its not aoes its dex based aoe checks and damage is the least valueable thing to worry about anyway since there are abundant save vs suck spells in the game.

Taking 10 comes at level 11. At that point a bard can add d10s to dice rolls Also they have expertise on the check given they have 4 expertise skills by level 10. They dont even need to add the dice until after they roll. Plus whatever spell buffs they feel like casting without worry. They also have greater invisiblity opened up by this point. Stuff like charm/dominate person, disguise self, compulsion, invisibility and plenty of spell slots at this point to go nuts with whatever you need and have plenty big spells left over. Also they can just start taking spells off other class lists anyway so if they really want to be experts at skills stuff. They take guidance so every check gets an additional d4 to every single check they ever make without cost. So in the end you get your base check 13(is max at this point) with a minimum of 23 with the rogue, max 33. The Bard is getting minimum 15, average 22, and max of 27. This is purely going off using guidance and your inspiration that you can shoot out like candy by level 11. Again, bards have plenty of space to top up their skills with spells which can be from any spell list by level 11

Elsuive is at 18 to ignore advantage. Level 18. A bard can cast Power Word Kill at level 15. Kills anything currently with 100hp or lower no save. Or Power Word Stun, anything with a 150hp or lower is stunned, save at the end of their turn.

Your level 20 capstone is to to get an auto hit or 20 on a check once per rest. lol. To be fair the Bard capstone isn't really great either because again, inspiration back every short rest by level 5 so who cares

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/my-new-d20-modern-campaign

I know it would increase the amount of stuff you'd have to track, but I almost feel as if those ideas for base non-magical armor granting resistances to things should have been in the base game for 5E and not just a feat in terms of Heavy Armor Mastery. I mean, it's already pretty easy for less-armored classes to get more AC, making certain types of armor more useful would have been a good idea.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
3.5 Unearthed Arcana did something like that:

pre:
                      Normal AC Bonus     Alternate AC Bonus     Alternate DR
Light Armor
Padded                      1                     1                 None
Leather                     2                     1                 1/-
Studded Leather             3                     2                 1/-
Chain Shirt                 4                     2                 2/-

Medium Armor
Hide                        3                     2                 1/-
Scale Mail                  4                     2                 2/-
Chainmail                   5                     3                 2/-
Breastplate                 5                     3                 2/-

Heavy Armor
Splint Mail                 6                     3                 3/-
Banded Mail                 6                     3                 3/-
Half-Plate                  7                     4                 4/-
Full Plate                  8                     4                 4/-
Not sure how easy or hard it would be to rework the math to make it fit with 5e's Bounded Accuracy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Damage output accelerating through lots of attacks rather than single-big-damage would make it somewhat viable.

DR 4/5 would neuter a lot of the chaff, which is possibly a good thing. The Fighter in their full plate can just ignore the scrubs and deflect, parry or dodge their attacks without even thinking about it. Ruins it when too many people get heavy armour though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

AlphaDog posted:

I haven't actually seen traps done particularly well in any pen-and-paper RPG. The early ones often have, "You didn't find the trap, you're dead", while the more recent ones tend to have, "You didn't find the trap, but the cleric heals you back up and you're OK again".

What RPGs have the best rules for traps? I'd like to see things like the classic room-filling-up-with-water or ceiling-crusher-with-spikes, or the rolling boulder from Indiana Jones, and traps should be pretty much as dangerous and given as much rules focus and support as combat - it sucks when anything is "You didn't make the roll, now you're dead".

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Traps should be statted out as encounters, because reducing them to skill checks is boring.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The best use of traps I've seen is in 4e, because they are neutral hazards that populate the encounter and add uncertainty, danger, and excitement to fights.

It's a crummy adventure in a lot of ways but Thunderspire Labyrinth has some really inspired trap setups to dog the players with.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

What is the point of the trap? Something like a water trap or the walls closing in is interesting because it puts a time limit on doing something. Running away from a giant boulder adds to the difficulty of the scene. Fate could be pretty good at dealing with this.
Something like a dart trap which if you miss it it does some damage and you move on is boring unless it is part of another encounter to add an extra source of peril, especially if the NPCs know about the traps and can bait you into accidentally triggering them through clever positioning, but you can do the same with forced movement was a mainstay in 4e.
As far as a trap that will just flat out kill you if you don't notice it, doesn't feel like it has a place in heroic fantasy. It could work in a high mortality campaign, but but what is the use of a binary trap like that to forward the story?

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Gort posted:

I haven't actually seen traps done particularly well in any pen-and-paper RPG. The early ones often have, "You didn't find the trap, you're dead", while the more recent ones tend to have, "You didn't find the trap, but the cleric heals you back up and you're OK again".

What RPGs have the best rules for traps? I'd like to see things like the classic room-filling-up-with-water or ceiling-crusher-with-spikes, or the rolling boulder from Indiana Jones, and traps should be pretty much as dangerous and given as much rules focus and support as combat - it sucks when anything is "You didn't make the roll, now you're dead".

The best rules for traps that I've ever seen are in the late 3.5 supplement Dungeonscape. They'red called "encounter traps" and the idea is exactly like the room filling up with water/ceiling with spikes bit. The general idea is that encounter traps require multiple actions to deal with/resolve, and they are built to involve multiple PC's instead of just the rogue. They are usually obvious instead of hidden. If you squint, you can see that 4E was trying to incorporate the same idea in its traps, but I don't think 4E did a very good job getting the point across.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The best traps are ones that just set off noise and alert enemies to your presence .

The second best are magic ones that go off if you bypass all the other traps with magic, resulting in instakills with no save. Yes, this happened to one of my favorite characters.

Other than that, damage traps are fine because you either have to pull back to heal or risk death of you keep taking damage. And the priest healing means less utility spells. All this is irrelevant if it's an empty dungeon and theres no plot time pressure.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 14, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Grandicap posted:

What is the point of the trap? Something like a water trap or the walls closing in is interesting because it puts a time limit on doing something. Running away from a giant boulder adds to the difficulty of the scene. Fate could be pretty good at dealing with this.
Something like a dart trap which if you miss it it does some damage and you move on is boring unless it is part of another encounter to add an extra source of peril, especially if the NPCs know about the traps and can bait you into accidentally triggering them through clever positioning, but you can do the same with forced movement was a mainstay in 4e.
As far as a trap that will just flat out kill you if you don't notice it, doesn't feel like it has a place in heroic fantasy. It could work in a high mortality campaign, but but what is the use of a binary trap like that to forward the story?

Epic LFR had some great trap encounters. The one where you're trapped on a huge pyramid up which mud is inevitably and unstoppably washing, drowning all in its path, the one which you surf down a river of acid in a collapsing tunnel on rapidly-disintegrating boats, the one where you descend through a web-filled room on domino-collapsing pillars etc etc etc.

Traps are great when done right. Traps are poo poo when they're 'make an X check or take Y damage, then continue if alive'.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah traps-as-wandering-damage-table is dull.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Probably the best "traps" I've seen were in some homebrew 4e stuff where they were essentially dangerous terrain. Like, you're fighting, and if anyone gets within x squares of the thing, it shoots spikes / immobilise you / sets a 4x4 area on fire / drags you into the pit / whatever, so the fight becomes about who can shove who into things the best. We did one fight in a closing-walls trap room where the sides of the battle map moved in one square each round. That was goddamn tense.

Equal to that, my brother's always liked to play the thief/sneak/rogue type guy and has never been happy with traps. First time he played Dungeon World, the GM told him he found a trap, he asked what it was, and the GM's response was "You're the trap expert, you tell me". So he got to make up a fiendishly cunning trap and then get around it. He was as happy with that as I've ever seen him during an RPG.

e: Some of the oldschool dungeon crawls had traps that simply blocked your escape or moved you elsewhere in the dungeon without doing damage. Knowing that you can't just easily backtrack and exit the dungeon is loving terrifying in BECMI.

e2: And yeah, in BECMI and AD&D the best traps were the ones that caused wandering monster rolls or "summon all enemies from rooms 5a, 5b, and 6" or whatever. They were genuinely scary because most dungeons were set up so that you weren't expected to just fight every monster and doing that was usually a bad idea.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 15, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Traps in the middle of a battle could be fun, especially if you can lure an enemy into one or have the rogue modify it to hit them or something.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Hey! I'm looking for a great white board app. My friends and I have just started playing D&D, but some of us are Skyping in to do so. It would be great if there was essentially a "doodle chat" we could all be in so the DM could draw maps or upload maps and draw on those. iPad support is necessary.

Anyone know of anything like this? Or a better solution? Anyone have experience with D&D with some people not physically being there? Any tips?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

AlphaDog posted:

Traps fell deep into my verisimilitude pit. If I couldnt come up with a reason that a tool using creature would place a trap there for some understandable reason then there wasnt a trap there.

"Welcome to the foyer. *suddenly you fall into a pit filled with spikes and green slime*"

"Who the gently caress built this place?"

Sure for something explicitly made to be a giant trap by a well-known insane person maybe (Undermountain or whatever) but otherwise.. no.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Where did the idea of poison needle traps come from anyway? Is it a purely D&D thing?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Adventure serials/pulp magazines?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

xiw posted:

Where did the idea of poison needle traps come from anyway? Is it a purely D&D thing?

Indiana Jones and the british adventure serials its basing itself off. Entering Egyptian tombs was basically all about avoiding death traps.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Let's talk about Two-Weapon Fighting.

Assuming you start with a 16 in the given ability score, with 3 ASIs you can get:
  • 18 DEX + Dual Wielder [Feat] + Medium Armor Master [Feat] + Half Plate [700gp] = 19 AC, +4 Stealth [no disadvantage], dual-wielding Shortswords [20gp], 2d6+4 damage if you hit with both weapons
  • 20 DEX + Dual Wielder [Feat] + Breast Plate [400gp] = 17 AC, +5 Stealth [no disadvantage], dual-wielding Rapiers [50gp], 2d8+5 damage if you hit with both weapons
  • 20 DEX + Dual Wielder [Feat] + Studded Leather [45gp] = 18 AC, +5 Stealth [no disadvantage], dual-wielding Rapiers [50gp], 2d8+5 damage if you hit with both weapons

One of these things is not like the others..

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 15, 2015

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

P.d0t posted:

Assuming you start with a 16 in the given ability score, with 3 ASIs you can get:
  • 18 DEX + Dual Wielder [Feat] + Medium Armor Master [Feat] + Half Plate [700gp] = 19 AC, +4 Stealth [no disadvantage], dual-wielding Shortswords [20gp], 2d6+4 damage if you hit with both weapons
  • 20 DEX + Dual Wielder [Feat] + Breast Plate [400gp] = 17 AC, +5 Stealth [no disadvantage], dual-wielding Rapiers [50gp], 2d8+5 damage if you hit with both weapons
  • 20 DEX + Dual Wielder [Feat] + Studded Leather [45gp] = 18 AC, +5 Stealth [no disadvantage], dual-wielding Rapiers [50gp], 2d8+5 damage if you hit with both weapons

Maybe ~flat math~ evens things out so gaining 2 AC is worth a feat and lower damage? Haha who are we kidding, this is tummyfeels as hell.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

P.d0t posted:

If you're playing a game where you can choose between taking one of a list of powers and just directly increasing stat bonuses, I think it is already obvious that the game is 'ivory tower' as hell.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

P.d0t posted:

Why is the first one wielding shortswords?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Nihilarian posted:

Why is the first one wielding shortswords?

Bad editting on my part.

The thing I was getting at was the glaring discrepancy in GP cost for not a lot of difference.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

P.d0t posted:

Bad editting on my part.

The thing I was getting at was the glaring discrepancy in GP cost for not a lot of difference.
Yeah, a feat and 655 gp does seem like a bad trade for +1 AC.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

Nihilarian posted:

Yeah, a feat and 655 gp does seem like a bad trade for +1 AC.

It's not like there's anything else to spend money on. 655 gp is pocket change by 6th level or so. Spending a feat for +1 AC is boring, but seems in line with boring core feats from editions past. 5e isn't exactly rolling in strong feats the way 3e and 4e ended up.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Dire Wombat posted:

5e isn't exactly rolling in strong feats the way 3e and 4e ended up.

Pffffffft WHAT? Did we even play the same 3E? Even by the very end of 3E's lifecycle, browsing through like fifty supplements, I was always pressured for finding any feats that weren't just "get +1 to a thing" or "get +2 to a thing... in narrow circumstances." 3E never loving got feats right and is about the worst example of it so far.

I'd say that while the 5E feats aren't perfect? They are least get a lot closer to being interesting than 3E's feats ever were, for me. Though maybe I just missed the one or two supplements that had feats which weren't snoozeworthy as gently caress.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Pffffffft WHAT? Did we even play the same 3E? Even by the very end of 3E's lifecycle, browsing through like fifty supplements, I was always pressured for finding any feats that weren't just "get +1 to a thing" or "get +2 to a thing... in narrow circumstances." 3E never loving got feats right and is about the worst example of it so far.

I'd say that while the 5E feats aren't perfect? They are least get a lot closer to being interesting than 3E's feats ever were, for me. Though maybe I just missed the one or two supplements that had feats which weren't snoozeworthy as gently caress.

I think he meant strong as in lol powerful. Like metamagics.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Near the end of its lifespan 3e feats had stuff like 'clerics can use turn attempts to spontaneously persist spells with no modification to the spell slot' so yeah if you knew where to look you could find stuff that was monstrously powerful. As long as you were a caster, that is.
E: There was this one feat that let you use a supernatural ability of something you could turn into, which was absolutely broken because you could just grab free wishes and stuff like that, which was again mostly a thing you had to be a druid for.

is that good fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 15, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

xiw posted:

In pulp they kickstart a "find the cure" plot, put a poisoned character at a plot-relevant disadvantage, introduce a time limit complication to the plot, kill important secondary characters to introduce new or influence existing plot points, kill unimportant characters to add a sense of danger or significance to current or future plot points, and/or kill a villain to provide closure for hanging plot threads.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

rear end Catchcum posted:

Hey! I'm looking for a great white board app. My friends and I have just started playing D&D, but some of us are Skyping in to do so. It would be great if there was essentially a "doodle chat" we could all be in so the DM could draw maps or upload maps and draw on those. iPad support is necessary.

Anyone know of anything like this? Or a better solution? Anyone have experience with D&D with some people not physically being there? Any tips?

I'll plug Roll20 again. You can totally whiteboard on it, and it has built in voice chat (...whose efficacy I haven't tested) and iPad/android apps.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Daetrin posted:

I'll plug Roll20 again. You can totally whiteboard on it, and it has built in voice chat (...whose efficacy I haven't tested) and iPad/android apps.

I wouldn't go with the roll20 voice chat unless you absolutely had to.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

kingcom posted:

I think he meant strong as in lol powerful. Like metamagics.

Oh, yeah. But like, in that case it was kind of good to not have feats as "strong" as in 3E. Because there was a bit of gamebreaking poo poo you could do with some of those dull number boosters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Well, Forbes just had an interview with Nathan Stewart.

The things I noticed that weren't things they've said before is that they're only planning on releasing things that fit their adventure paths and they're all in on Forgotten Realms until they run out of Forgotten Realms things to do.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 16, 2015

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, yeah. But like, in that case it was kind of good to not have feats as "strong" as in 3E. Because there was a bit of gamebreaking poo poo you could do with some of those dull number boosters.

Right I don't think the arguement was that those feats were good. Just that in 5e theres gently caress all reason to get more than or two feats because the rest mostly suck so who cares.

my back pages
Jun 23, 2009

kingcom posted:

Right I don't think the arguement was that those feats were good. Just that in 5e theres gently caress all reason to get more than or two feats because the rest mostly suck so who cares.

There is literally one book out with any feats in it holy poo poo relax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

my back pages posted:

There is literally one book out with any feats in it holy poo poo relax.

I'm not sure what your talking about?