Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

"Batman Park" !

Yup, the city was co-founded by one John Batman (pronounced Bateman, but all the place/street names are pronounced Batman, as in na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na BATMAN.) The city was even called Batmania for a couple of months. A real lovely person, who was a bounty hunter and helped the British wipe out the Aborigines from Tasmania.
There is even a federal electorate named Batman, currently held by the Shadow Minister for Justice, Shadow Assistant Minister for Defence and Shadow Minister for Veterans Affairs and the Centenary of ANZAC. (yes, seriously)

Anyway, just came across an aerial photograph of the city, which happens to be a similar(ish) view from those renders I posted last page, here is a comparison:

bonus- http://i.imgur.com/TP2VRtr.jpg

Uhh, anyway, back to Cities:Skylines...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

loving grid layouts :argh:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Strangely enough, the Hoddle Grid (which is basically the 8x4 square pattern in the centre of Melbourne) is out of kilter with the alignment of most of the rest of the city. drat I gotta do something like that next.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Because it was designed so the e-w axis would closely align with the river, the rest of the city generally follows north:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoddle_Grid

quote:

While the survey plan has proved, in time, to be far-sighted for public utility, serving Melbourne to this day, at the time Hoddle's instructions from Governor Gipps were more prosaic.

Land allotments for sale at public auction were to be produced as quickly as possible to deliver to the market. Gipps also insisted that all towns laid out during his term of office should have no public squares included within their boundaries, being convinced that they only encouraged democracy.

All major streets are one and half chains (99 ft or 30 m) in width, while all blocks are exactly 10 chains square (1 acre, 201 m × 201 m). It is one mile (1.6 km) long by half a mile wide (0.80 km). The grid's longest axis is oriented 70 degrees clockwise from true north, to align better with the course of the Yarra River. The majority of Melbourne is oriented at 8 degrees clockwise from true north - noting that magnetic north was 8° 3' E in 1900, increasing to 11° 42' E in 2009.[1]
Gipps sounds like a few of us Mayors in Cities: Skylines. No parks!

Still, great forethought back in 1830.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 15, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

I am bad at roads :saddowns:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

no way dude, check out that axe lane :dota101:

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Turn it into a roundabout and you're done.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Tendai posted:

I am bad at roads :saddowns:

8-way free-for-all's are the best. The traffic overlay shows red for usage but it's literally never backed up.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Help. Can't stop intersecting.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Your highway is being attacked by a headcrab.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Friction posted:

Help. Can't stop intersecting.

What's the purpose of those two ramps running parallel to the 4-lane bridge? :confused:

I see one has a merge from the top/left neighborhood but you could just sneak that around to the road on its own.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Supraluminal posted:

What's the purpose of those two ramps running parallel to the 4-lane bridge? :confused:

Ramps have a top speed of 80, 4 lane roads have a top speed of 50. Cars that aren't entering the highway will probably take the parallel ramps.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

nielsm posted:

Ramps have a top speed of 80, 4 lane roads have a top speed of 50. Cars that aren't entering the highway will probably take the parallel ramps.

Yeah, I suppose. Doesn't look like traffic there is heavy enough for it to be worth bothering but maybe it gets spikes. Or could be future-proofing I guess!

Subyng
May 4, 2013
These nonsensical road layouts are highly triggering.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

nielsm posted:

Exactly. I expect moderate traffic at most, and the higher speed bypass lanes should connect sides of the highway nicely. I guess it makes more sense if seen in context:

Never tried a SPUI yet, I hope it fares well.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like interchanges like that work great until they actually need to have heavy traffic use them, and once your city starts getting big they start buckling under the pressure and causing way more trouble than they are worth.

Not always, of course. Just something I've noticed with roundabouts in particular.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I always get the feeling from the thread I'm not using roundabouts nearly enough.

Does sticking my industry in a magic roundabout count as enough?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Too slow, ambulance.

We thought the kids would enjoy watching the dump trucks from the playground.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Is there a car mod out yet? I want to race through my city with realistic car physics! It's look like that old SEGA game from the 90's!

And here's my messy city so far.. it kind of works ok.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Imaginary Friend posted:

Is there a car mod out yet? I want to race through my city with realistic car physics! It's look like that old SEGA game from the 90's!

There's a flight sim mod out that let's you fly a plane but there's no collision or anything really. Hard to control the plane too but oh well impressive nonetheless.

If they could make an add-on or expansion involving street racing that would be amazing though.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Howard Beale posted:

We thought the kids would enjoy watching the dump trucks from the playground.

"OK, kids. For today's playtime activity, we're going to search through my ex-wife's garbage!"

For the people with megacities and crazy spaghetti road networks, did you have some sort of picture in your minds of how the road system should look at that stage when you started, or did it grow organically?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hulk Smash! posted:

For the people with megacities and crazy spaghetti road networks, did you have some sort of picture in your minds of how the road system should look at that stage when you started, or did it grow organically?

Mine grow organically. The most planning I do is 'okay in the future I'll put a downtown high density area here,' or 'okay I'll keep this spot clear because I'll probably run highway through here at some point.'

Definitely not trying to build a road network for a huge city and backfilling it later or anything, I feel like that leads to traffic woes. Most of the time the highway network and things like that expand to meet the needs of the city rather than vice versa.

I like to build little suburbs and high density zones and then connect them over time with roads and more zoning, kind of like how a real city grows. The LA-Anaheim-San Diego area is pretty much one giant city - you can drive all the way up the 5 and still basically be in a city the whole time (except for Camp Pendleton briefly). That's because they all started off as city centers but over time development has caused an urban sprawl.

e: it's called Conurbation when cities do that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conurbation

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 15, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blimpkin posted:

Turn it into a roundabout and you're done.
Actually if I remember right that was the result of about 4 roundabouts in a square with that in the middle. I went a little mad with power.

Moridin920 posted:

Definitely not trying to build a road network for a huge city and backfilling it later or anything, I feel like that leads to traffic woes. Most of the time the highway network and things like that expand to meet the needs of the city rather than vice versa.
This is what I kept trying to do at the start because it's always what I've done in other city games, but it does not work nearly so well in Skylines.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

here's an interesting one: why do the majority of people get off the offramp, go through the intersection, and then get back onto the freeway?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Is there a right turn that they want to make in 500km? Got to keep in that right lane early if you want to make your exit.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Hulk Smash! posted:

Is there a right turn that they want to make in 500km? Got to keep in that right lane early if you want to make your exit.

The traffic sim needs some sort of rear end in a top hat function where they wait until the last possible moment to try to get into turn lanes so they can get in front of as many other people as possible. They're planning far too in advance right now :colbert:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

oh. maybe that's it. :shrug:

anyway, look at this really dumb bridge i made for no reason.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Reminds me of that one absurd bridge in central europe that they built because gently caress you that's why.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Apparently "gently caress it, roundabouts everywhere" is a much better traffic-control strategy than careful grids. Who knew.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET
So is there actually anyway to get consistent power output from a dam without using poop? Because I'd really love to add them as a feature to my city, but not when they dip to 50% output for reasons and half my city goes dark.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

crabrock posted:

oh. maybe that's it. :shrug:

anyway, look at this really dumb bridge i made for no reason.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/CloudyAgonizingGourami.webm

Bonham
Aug 14, 2009

Kill! Kill! Kill!
Can we post assets here? I made a rowhouse http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=425910062

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Not working in a browser for some reason.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So it seems one of the recent updates made all the custom LUT's have the same generic name, anyone know how to fix this?

Content:

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Tendai posted:

Apparently "gently caress it, roundabouts everywhere" is a much better traffic-control strategy than careful grids. Who knew.

That's pretty much how they handle it in my town.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Why not have both? AKA the Milton Keynes solution.

(It's a very unpleasant place to drive/exist)

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I feel like even when we have grids they have to be at an angle.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It would be nice to be able to convert regular four-way junctions into mini-roundabouts. Right now even the smallest possible roundabout is more of a gyratory system.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tunga posted:

It would be nice to be able to convert regular four-way junctions into mini-roundabouts. Right now even the smallest possible roundabout is more of a gyratory system.
I haven't done any practical tests on the matter, but in the mean time it should be possible to replace 4 way intersections of 4 lane streets (and maybe 6 lane? Not sure of their behavior) with a 8 way 2 lane chaos intersection with a relatively small footprint. Basically a 4 lane terminating into 2x one way two lanes on the correct sides of the street is lightless, do this 4 times at the projected intersection and you have a 8 way party intersection that's not entirely not round about like the way the AI drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
This house was just a couple of minutes ago complaining of low land value. I was about to bulldoze it and slap down a basketball court and they were somehow alerted of my plan and shaped up.