Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Thanks for the good times, Justified. I don't really have any great observations right now except that I'm satisfied with the finale and that it's kind of touching someone can still misspell "Raylan" at this point :3:

Goodbye Rayland, Eva, Winn, Allen May & co!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
As far as rankings go, I'm most entertained by S3 but feel like S2 is the highest quality. I like the newness and focus on Boyd in S1, the duplicity in S4, and the variety in S6. S5 has its moments, but overall is the weakest.

I think all the season finales are great, with S3's being funny, shocking, and chilling (the line about why Arlo shot Trooper Tom), but Bulletville holds a special place for the shootout and ending dialogue between Raylan and Boyd.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

drat yall really hate Daryl Crowe Jr. huh.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I can forgive all the terribleness of the Crowes just because of 21ft rule Crowe and his final showdown.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

zoux posted:

I mean, dude's just not on the same level as the bad guys we've come to know and love.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
And Michael Rappaport sucks. His accent sucks. He sucks at life.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Dude threw a fit about the definition of caffe con leche and bragged about his prison economics courses in like his second appearance. He was not an intimidating man.

I gotta say, I was enjoying the first half of the episode a lot, but not really feeling much tension. As soon as we got to FOUR YEARS LATER, my heart started pounding in fear of some other shoe dropping. By the time we got to "We dug coal together", I was 100% in invested in everything that had just happened. It was only today though that I thought back to the finale and started tearing up at work.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

mdh1975 posted:

"Jere Burns was actually in Fiji over the Christmas break and I asked him to get footage on a GoPro of him surfing in case we wanted to throw that in at the end of the episode. He wasn’t able to do it and I’m glad because I think it would have been a little too neat. But that was always our fantasy." :allears:

I would've gotten a real kick out of that. :xd: poo poo, he managed to come out of Harlan the best out of everybody - and here I was figured he'd be lucky to get out alive. The episode itself was, as another goon put it, disjointed but it had several great scenes. The final scene really drove home why neither could ever bring themselves to kill the other. It was an interesting dynamic to watch play out, two enemies who only pointed their guns at each other when there was nobody else to point 'em at.

Edit: Also, how odd is it that Loretta was in two scenes in the finale without a single line.

For a moment there I thought there was the possibility that Boyd would turn the gun on himself after Ava told him that she'd only did what she thought he would've done - that really was the point where he'd lost everything.

The final scene was perhaps my favorite since Terriers. As terrified Ava was to see Boyd on her doorstep after his threats in the barn, Raylan didn't so much as bat an eye. Even after four years in prison they greet each other with a smile, a joke and pick up right where they left off - they dug coal together. A great send off to a great show.

Take it easy, Justified. :clint:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Is Boyd really ever getting out of prison though? It seems like they have him on a shitload of stuff, including Karl's murder.

Edit: I suppose there's still the threat of a breakout.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

UberAaron posted:

That was a really good way to end this show. "We dug coal together." :unsmith:

I thought the same thing. A great ending to a great series. I for one am really going to miss it.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Is Boyd really ever getting out of prison though? It seems like they have him on a shitload of stuff, including Karl's murder.

Raylan said he's building up a new flock, presumably some new believers that might eventually break him out. I think that's why Raylan brings him the death certificate from Oklahoma, make sure he doesn't go looking for Ava. But it's also kind of strange, the 'we dug coal together' line, because he's delivering fake news.

So did Ava get ahold of the rest of the money? Or is it still buried out in Harlan somewhere by that forest service cabin that's not on any map? I figured she told Loretta the location in exchange for safe passage out to California. Which also gives Loretta the seed money for her :weed: empire.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 15, 2015

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

First off, ladies and gentlemen, it's been an honor to share this field with you for the past several years. :clint:

I loved the finale. I was worried about Raylan the entire time. Am I the only one who sat up a little straighter and leaned forward during the time with his daughter, worried that Boyd was going to show up with a gun?

I'll agree the showdown with Markham was a tad anticlimactic, but then again, he was an old man in a young man's game, and he couldn't compete. If that scene was lackluster, the ending scene made up for it a hundredfold.

isk posted:

Wynn-Dixie
Ha! I worked at Winn-Dixie when I was a teenager!

Enjoy your sunset, Justified. :tipshat:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Subterfrugal posted:

Didn't a random cop brag about the helicopter being FLIR-equipped shortly before it failed to find two people slowly struggling their way up a cold-rear end mountain?

"Oh poo poo, Suspect is throwing dynamite sticks like 50 feet, which of you heartland-based lawmen brought a rifle?"

*crickets*

See, I figured he would have triggered a rockslide or had some boulders come down the mountain with the amount of dynamite he was carrying to get them off his scent but apparently not.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

red19fire posted:

So did Ava get ahold of the rest of the money? Or is it still buried out in Harlan somewhere by that forest service cabin that's not on any map? I figured she told Loretta the location in exchange for safe passage out to California. Which also gives Loretta the seed money for her :weed: empire.

It sounded like she didn't get the $9 million, but instead swapped its location to Wynn Duffy in exchange for a ride out of town and probably some money. Presumably he can afford to wait until the heat dies down before retrieving it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

red19fire posted:

Raylan said he's building up a new flock, presumably some new believers that might eventually break him out. I think that's why Raylan brings him the death certificate from Oklahoma, make sure he doesn't go looking for Ava. But it's also kind of strange, the 'we dug coal together' line, because he's delivering fake news.

The way I read that scene was that Raylan was using his history with Boyd of always shooting straight with him (heh) to protect Ava and miniBoyd; to keep him from coming after here in the event he did manage to get out of prison.

He was using his relationship with Boyd against Boyd. And as far as I can recall, Raylan never lied to Boyd. Hell, I don't think I can recall Raylan ever misleading anyone. Boyd knows that which is why Boyd believed the Carolyn Dean / Ava's death story.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Season 5 of Justified is terrible. It's almost a different show with the dip in quality. Blame it on Michael Rappaport.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So am I the only one who thought maybe Raylan was going to end up with Ava out in CA somewhere? Raising Boyd's kid, no less?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

AlternateAccount posted:

So am I the only one who thought maybe Raylan was going to end up with Ava out in CA somewhere? Raising Boyd's kid, no less?

I doubt it, as that would mean Raylan would leave his daughter and life in Florida. They did have something at one point but it is over.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I'm deeply sad that this show is over, but I could not of asked for more from the finale. Props to the goonslinger for giving me a mini heart attack, and almost killing Raylan. It genuinely suprised me how low season 3 is rating on everyone's list.

Season 2
Season 3 (Quarles owned)
Season 1 (Bullet ville almost made me rate it higher)
Season 6
Season 4
Season 5

Any news on some awesome collector blu-ray set for the whole series?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

None of them did. Didn't you see them all firing at Boyd with their pistols while he was a good hundred yards away?

*insert gun chat here*

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ghostpilot posted:

Edit: Also, how odd is it that Loretta was in two scenes in the finale without a single line.

I thought it was a good choice by whoever's responsible, I hated the character when she was being set up as the teenage mastermind of Harlan crime and would've been annoyed if she had a major role in deciding the outcome of everything going on.

Tide posted:

The way I read that scene was that Raylan was using his history with Boyd of always shooting straight with him (heh) to protect Ava and miniBoyd; to keep him from coming after here in the event he did manage to get out of prison.

He was using his relationship with Boyd against Boyd. And as far as I can recall, Raylan never lied to Boyd. Hell, I don't think I can recall Raylan ever misleading anyone. Boyd knows that which is why Boyd believed the Carolyn Dean / Ava's death story.

In a way, he was doing Boyd a favor by making him think Ava's dead, as he won't have to obsess over where she is and if she got his money anymore

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
I don't watch that many shows, and with Parks & Rec, Justified, and Mad Men all ending this year my viewing schedule is really taking a hit.

I'll miss Justified the most though and it's not even close. It was a very fun and enjoyable ride right from the pilot episode. The dialog and acting was top-notch and nearly every time Raylan and Boyd were on-screen together was pure gold.

That final scene with them together in the prison is pretty powerful. Last night I thought it was really good, but on rewatching it several times today it just gets better and better. That little knowing almost wink Boyd gives Raylan when he says "we dug coal together" is answered by a hint of a smile from Raylan who responds "That's right". Just fantastic.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Rad Lieutenant posted:

I can forgive all the terribleness of the Crowes just because of 21ft rule Crowe and his final showdown.

One of my favorite Raylan showdown scenes.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Don't get me wrong, I love a lot about S5. The 21 foot rule, Art and Raylan's takedown of Theo Tonin, Constable Bob, Wood Harris, Amy Smart, Alicia Witt, Eric loving Roberts, Jere Burns becoming a series regular - it's still a lot of fun. But I don't like Daryl, I think he's an abusive chump who's less menacing than several of the series' one-off criminals, and because of that S5 is the only season without a unifying hook. The dialogue's still good, there's still tons of great characters, but Boyd, Mags, Quarles, Drew Thompson, and Boyd again help center their respective seasons.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Man, what an ending. So happy that it ended on a high note instead of how most shows seem to end nowadays.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

My only problem with the last season is how they shortchanged Winona. She gets a scene saying "Let's make this work!" And then the only follow-up we get is 4 years later it didn't work. Did they even try? Why even have those scenes where she comes to Kentucky?

I thought they played her just right in the ending. Winona and Raylan have tried it on and off again for several years but they've never managed to make it work because they're fundamentally different people who want different things especially in a relationship. Raylan having a good relationship with her, their daughter and her new partner is a huge step up from the Raylan we see in the pilot episode.

Sure Raylan has grown as a character but he's not suddenly going to turn around and be husband of the year. He's no longer the angriest man she knows.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I don't think Boyd's ever getting out of prison but he's broken free of Harlan and his past.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
That was a really fantastic ending to the series. And a second-tier character (Wynn) making off with the money was absolutely true to Elmore Leonard.

I started watching when the end of season three was airing--I was looking for something to watch during a summer in grad school--and was kind of ambivalent at first. It wasn't until Mags hurt Coover with the hammer that I was absolutely hooked, and season two ended up being by far my favorite because of Margot Martindale and the story between the Givenses and the Bennetts. But every season had some fantastic moments. The dentist in Long in the Tooth. Art hobbling after the old man with the oxygen tank. Sorry about the tablecloth. The piggy bank. Drew Thompson and the IED scene on the road. Four kidneys.The 21 foot rule. I can go on and on naming some of my favorite scenes in the show, and that they were all from the same writers and about the same characters is a testament to the quality.

I'm gonna miss it. I hope Yost and the rest find another project that's worth their talents.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

isk posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love a lot about S5. The 21 foot rule, Art and Raylan's takedown of Theo Tonin, Constable Bob, Wood Harris, Amy Smart, Alicia Witt, Eric loving Roberts, Jere Burns becoming a series regular - it's still a lot of fun. But I don't like Daryl, I think he's an abusive chump who's less menacing than several of the series' one-off criminals, and because of that S5 is the only season without a unifying hook. The dialogue's still good, there's still tons of great characters, but Boyd, Mags, Quarles, Drew Thompson, and Boyd again help center their respective seasons.

Yeah, each season's main villain was crucial because it didn't just tide us over between the Raylan-and-Boyd moments, but they also had to be a legitimate enough threat to pull Raylan off of wrapping Boyd up; Rappaport's character just didn't have enough real weight or menace behind him to pull that off and Season 5 kinda lags as a result. The supporting cast was good, and it's still a good season of TV comparatively, but there were some definite lackluster moments.

I would like to know what the plan would have been for Jean Baptiste had they not had to write him out.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Just a goddamn great finale.

Way goddamn greater than that rear end in a top hat who posted Six Feet Under spoilers on the last page.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Tide posted:

Quarles is the only one that genuinely creeped me out and made me scared for anyone that happened to be in the same room with him at the time.

That bar room scene where he come in to threaten Raylan is one on the tensest of the series.

I know we are talking big villains but Arlo's influence throughout is pretty caustic. One of the best parts of the series was that father / son dynamic.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Freaquency posted:

I would like to know what the plan would have been for Jean Baptiste had they not had to write him out.

I honestly feel he would have made a better villain than the Crowe clan (minus Dewey because he was awesome).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
For a guy who's supposedly a seriously devout Christian, Neal McDonough *always* plays a good villain. He makes me think of Robert Shaw's character from "From Russia With Love" with the towheaded hair and complete lack of moral compass. Then his character in "RED 2" where he says he's going to skin Mary-Louise Parker's character alive from the ankles up...he's definitely mastered a 'look' where you aren't quite sure if he's acting or *really* considering these things.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 16, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For a guy who's supposedly a seriously devout Christian, Neal McDonough *always* plays a good villain.

Not sure what being a Christian has to do with his acting ability?

Part of his bad guy persona is the intense blue eyes. He's just an intense looking guy all the way around.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

JRay88 posted:

I honestly feel he would have made a better villain than the Crowe clan (minus Dewey because he was awesome).

If that fight between him and Danny had gone the other way it could have really changed the course of the season.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
McDonough was great as the out of control alcoholic district attorney in Boomtown, another great Graham Yost show. That show was ahead of its time in a narrative sense and got screwed over pretty hard by NBC before being cancelled.

I imagine Yost will be able to do pretty much whatever he wants to do after the success of Justified. His production company still has a relationship with FX through The Americans too.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For a guy who's supposedly a seriously devout Christian, Neal McDonough *always* plays a good villain.

Apparently he's in the new Paul Blart movie looking exactly like Quarles.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Tide posted:

Hell, I don't think I can recall Raylan ever misleading anyone.

He fed Dewey a bullshit line about deputizing him as a Marshal pretty early on, off the top of my head. But yeah, that's the only one I can think of.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
God drat that was a good season / series. I'm sad to see it go but I'm glad they wrapped it up after S5. Sam Elliot was terrifying at the end.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Satisfying series finale. I had a feeling they'd go dark like The Shield, but seeing everyone make it out in one piece gave me the same feeling as Option C in GTA V- everyone worth a drat to the story continues to live their lives in their own individual ways.

And if a Justified spinoff is anywhere near as good as what Better Call Saul has been to Breaking Bad, look out. Saul's so good it works well if you're like me having never seen BB. Give me Tim and Rachel busting assholes in Kentucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CBJSprague24 posted:

Satisfying series finale. I had a feeling they'd go dark like The Shield, but seeing everyone make it out in one piece gave me the same feeling as Option C in GTA V- everyone worth a drat to the story continues to live their lives in their own individual ways.

And if a Justified spinoff is anywhere near as good as what Better Call Saul has been to Breaking Bad, look out. Saul's so good it works well if you're like me having never seen BB. Give me Tim and Rachel busting assholes in Kentucky.

Wynn Duffy driving around the country in his dog grooming van helping criminals. For a price.

• Locked thread