Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sigma X posted:

Politicians are already explaining all the time to John Q Taxpayer and Suzy D Populistic-Voter that they have to pay for roadways via taxes that they then have to pay tolls to use. Why would a commercial-vehicles-only highway be so different?

"We'll only charge tolls until the bridge is paid off... j/k we're going to charge tolls forever, you didn't think we'd ever give up a revenue stream did you? Oh and tolls just went up a buck, enjoy"

Protocol7 posted:

My girlfriend is also a terrible phone user when driving, I have had to tell her "The light is green" multiple times, and we rarely go the speed limit when she's texting and actually moving. I hate it. I give her poo poo about it all the time and she finally started only using it at red lights, which is great but as far as she's concerned every light is red until I tell her it isn't or she gets honked at. :argh:

sever

My wife doesn't use her phone while rolling, and she's actually good about not using it at lights, but she does not have good response time for the lights turning green. When I'm driving, 500ms after the light turns green my foot is already in motion to the gas pedal, I'm doing my checks for red-runners, but I'm pretty much ready to go because I've been watching the other lights and I knew my turn was coming. When she's driving, we're often looking at 3+ seconds before action begins, so I'm always saying "the light is green" and pissing her off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've had to tell cabbies, and often my friends, about the light changing. Apparently some people just don't care.

When I was learning to drive manual, it was a godsend, because I could stall, restart the engine, and go before most other people had even noticed the loving light was green. I don't know why drivers are so eager to not pay attention to driving.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Years ago I remember seeing a proposed HIGHWAY OF THE FUTURE™ that had dedicated truck lanes separated from passenger traffic by medians. Pretty much what is envisioned in the first picture in this http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policy/otps/rowstudyproj.htm

Has anything like that ever been put into practice or is it still just wishful thinking in Federal Highway Administration powerpoints?

That sounds very similar to bus only lanes, and I remember reading about them in the ask a traffic engineer thread. They didn't work since buses are so much heavier than cars that they would tear up the bus lane too much. Makes sense for a bus with 30K lbs on 6 wheels vs a 4K lb car on 4 wheels.

KozmoNaut posted:

I nearly ran a dude off the road today. There was a car in the middle lane, so I was passing it in the left lane. Then I changed lanes to the middle and was changing to the rightmost lane when he came zooming up, overtaking traffic on the right.

I get that you just want to keep going without changing lanes, and I do it myself sometimes, depending on the situation. But goddammit, you're the one doing something "wrong" and unexpected, so you have to be super super aware and not just barge ahead.

So I got in behind him at flicked the lights, in return he flipped me off. That's how it usually goes, I guess.

What happens if you are switching from the middle to the left lane in front of a faster moving vehicle?

PT6A posted:

I've had to tell cabbies, and often my friends, about the light changing. Apparently some people just don't care.

When I was learning to drive manual, it was a godsend, because I could stall, restart the engine, and go before most other people had even noticed the loving light was green. I don't know why drivers are so eager to not pay attention to driving.

You know those times when you are at the light, it turns green, and suddenly :rice: speed through right in front of you?

My big pet peeve is people who are watching the lights, and they just sit and creep forwards like 10 or 20 feet as if they want to go as soon as the light changes, but instead they still sit there for an eternity before they go. gently caress those people.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 15, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Crotch Fruit posted:

My big pet peeve is people who are watching the lights, and they just sit and creep forwards like 10 or 20 feet as if they want to go as soon as the light changes, but instead they still sit there for an eternity before they go. gently caress those people.

The guy who makes 2-3 false starts while the light is red, then takes 5 seconds to realize it when the light actually turns green.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Don't forget slowly creeping over the line as well. Happens all the time.
Speaking of red lights, I don't get people who race up to it and the brake hard. Just lift the gas and try not to stop, and hopefully it'll turn green before you have to stop. Unless you are blocking people who can turn and such.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Pham Nuwen posted:

The guy who makes 2-3 false starts while the light is red, then takes 5 seconds to realize it when the light actually turns green.

I watch this happen to EVERY SINGLE ONE of those people. It never fails to happen to a light creeper.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Yeah, when I'm the first one at the stop line and the light turns green, it takes a couple seconds for my brain to process that it's turned green because I was thinking about some cute thing my cat did this morning.

When I'm behind someone else, my response time is usually much quicker.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of red lights, I don't get people who race up to it and the brake hard. Just lift the gas and try not to stop, and hopefully it'll turn green before you have to stop. Unless you are blocking people who can turn and such.

These are the same people who operate the gas pedal as an on/off switch, no middle ground.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Just saw a dude come a second away from being hit by a car while he was crossing a street legally with the walk signal. Old lady driver making a left turn made zero attempt to, I guess, look out her windshield to see the people crossing the street and it looked like she sped up. The dude literally jumped in the air to avoid this woman's car.

Also saw another lady:
-pull to the side of a fairly busy two lane street to sit in the bikelane with no signal
-her sitting there caused traffic going around her to drive into the oncoming lane making me brake to avoid an accident
-after I pass, she, again with no signal, makes an illegal u-turn

She couldn't drive around the block or turn into the parking lot that she was literally next to so she decided to become an accident waiting to happen.

Also saw a dude sitting at a red turn light...just...go. He turned. Against a red light. That he was sitting at.

I drove for about 15 minutes today. gently caress Portland drivers.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I tend to have a good response time to light changes when I'm in front since I tend to notice that either the light for the cross traffic or pedestrian crosswalk has changed or the cross traffic has stopped.

Something I noticed while I was in the UK is that the traffic lights will illuminate the amber signal before changing to green. I guess it helps all the manual drivers a chance to get into gear and take off in a reasonable amount of time. In Taiwan, some traffic lights, especially ones with large traffic volume, will have a countdown timer to indicate how long the red light will be.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

The best are the ones who fling into the other lane after I lift, mash the gas to get around me, cut back into my lane, and then slam on the brakes for the red light.

Way to go, champ!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
bububububut they're getting to their destination one car sooner! :downs:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Edward IV posted:

In Taiwan, some traffic lights, especially ones with large traffic volume, will have a countdown timer to indicate how long the red light will be.

We sort of have that here, in terms of watching the pedestrian crosswalk signals for your cross side that have countdowns. Likewise the crosswalk countdown for the side you're driving on is used on the approach so you know how long you have until it turns yellow.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
The problem with countdown signals is that it doesn't really work well with preemptive signals - intersections that detects the amount of traffic and change the lights accordingly.

MrOnBicycle posted:

No, you should steadily apply the brakes until you're 50 yards away, and then roll towards the intersection at just above idling speed, around 5-10 mph. Then you have a rolling start if it suddenly turns green!

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

NFX posted:

The problem with countdown signals is that it doesn't really work well with preemptive signals - intersections that detects the amount of traffic and change the lights accordingly.

I spent most of my time in big cities like Taipei and Kaohsiung. Much of the lights there were synchronized, which is what you want in big cities, so a lot of intersections had the timers built into the traffic lights. Usually, the timer was displayed in the unlit amber signal but some older signals had them as a separate display next to the light. They're not as common out in the countryside but still pretty prevalent in general. I think the longest countdown I had seen was 90 seconds.

Being driven around Taiwan coming from New Jersey and New York City was interesting. There were a lot of scooters but everyone tended to move smoothly and people usually didn't do stupid poo poo.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 15, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Crotch Fruit posted:

What happens if you are switching from the middle to the left lane in front of a faster moving vehicle?

You check your mirrors, look over your shoulder and switch lanes if it's clear. You also expect faster-moving traffic to the left of you.

This dude came barreling through the right lane, which is 1) somewhat harder to survey in a LHD vehicle, and 2) unexpected because it is illegal to pass on the right here.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Just saw a dude come a second away from being hit by a car while he was crossing a street legally with the walk signal. Old lady driver making a left turn made zero attempt to, I guess, look out her windshield to see the people crossing the street and it looked like she sped up. The dude literally jumped in the air to avoid this woman's car.

Probably another case of "pedal confusion."

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

KozmoNaut posted:

You check your mirrors, look over your shoulder and switch lanes if it's clear. You also expect faster-moving traffic to the left of you.

This dude came barreling through the right lane, which is 1) somewhat harder to survey in a LHD vehicle, and 2) unexpected because it is illegal to pass on the right here.

One issue is, how do you reconcile "no passing on the right" with "drive in the farthest right lane as is possible for the speed you want to go"?

Generally, I only consider it a right-lane pass if I move right, pass someone, then move back over. Otherwise, if you're just driving along in the rightmost lane, isn't it the fault of everybody to your left for driving in the wrong lane?

I'm probably wrong about this, but I don't generally feel like I've ethically done the wrong thing when I cruise in the right lane, passing all of the people who wanted to drive in the "fast lane" going the speed limit.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

One issue is, how do you reconcile "no passing on the right" with "drive in the farthest right lane as is possible for the speed you want to go"?

Generally, I only consider it a right-lane pass if I move right, pass someone, then move back over. Otherwise, if you're just driving along in the rightmost lane, isn't it the fault of everybody to your left for driving in the wrong lane?

I'm probably wrong about this, but I don't generally feel like I've ethically done the wrong thing when I cruise in the right lane, passing all of the people who wanted to drive in the "fast lane" going the speed limit.
Morally, no, but law enforcement and insurance companies can be somewhat harder-nosed (or just inane).

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

xzzy posted:

The best are the ones who fling into the other lane after I lift, mash the gas to get around me, cut back into my lane, and then slam on the brakes for the red light.

Way to go, champ!

I love the ones who always swerve into the shorter/empty lane beside me at a red light to try to get in front of me, and then end up half a mile behind me again because they won't use the gas pedal when the light changes. Especially when they do it repeatedly at every single red light. :v:

Raluek posted:

Eh, I agree, especially on 6+-lane freeways. As long as you're paying attention, it's safer to just pass someone on the right than to try to change over two or more lanes to pass them on the left and then change back to the right lane. Hell, around here there's usually so much traffic that making that maneuver would be impossible anyway, and slowing down in the right lane to match the speed of some slowpoke in the middle lane when you have tons of space in front of you will just get you punted off the road by some brotruck rear end in a top hat.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
This is on surface streets, but my 'favorite' are the people who slow to a near stop in the right lane like their car will tip over if it experiences more than 0.00001G and then proceed to idle their way into the drive of the place they're going.

loving hate this.

I guess it makes me an impatient jackass but every now and again I get fed up with this poo poo and lean on the horn.

I've also been known to shout "turn the god drat thing already!" or similar.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Tonight I had a car come absolutely FLYING almost sideways out of a parking lot to get in front of me coming down the road... and then proceeded to do 25 in a 35

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

You have a fair point, but in my opinion when switching lanes, the person switching should always be responsible for making sure it is safe and clear. Yeah it sucks the guy was passing on the right but poo poo happens, until we can convince grandma to stop going 10 under the limit in the fast lane people will pass on the right.

In other news, I was going around a curve in my neighborhood and some bitch with a couple kids ran out in the street to scream at me for going to fast. I was going probably 25mph when I saw the mom and kids ahead, I was already slowing down for the curve and the fact that there were kids near the road, I was going about 15mph when I got close to the mom. I was probably 50 feet away when the bitch ran out into the street, I managed to stop with a lot of space between me and her, hell I didn't even have to hit my brakes hard. After she screamed some incomprehensible crap she left the road and I continued on. But if she really thought that I was going so fast that I would not have been able to react and stop in time to save her kids (who were waaay far away in a yard) then why the hell would she run out in front a dangerous vehicle?? I guess committing suicide in front your kids is the safe thing to do these days. . .

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Crotch Fruit posted:

You have a fair point, but in my opinion when switching lanes, the person switching should always be responsible for making sure it is safe and clear. Yeah it sucks the guy was passing on the right but poo poo happens, until we can convince grandma to stop going 10 under the limit in the fast lane people will pass on the right.

In other news, I was going around a curve in my neighborhood and some bitch with a couple kids ran out in the street to scream at me for going to fast. I was going probably 25mph when I saw the mom and kids ahead, I was already slowing down for the curve and the fact that there were kids near the road, I was going about 15mph when I got close to the mom. I was probably 50 feet away when the bitch ran out into the street, I managed to stop with a lot of space between me and her, hell I didn't even have to hit my brakes hard. After she screamed some incomprehensible crap she left the road and I continued on. But if she really thought that I was going so fast that I would not have been able to react and stop in time to save her kids (who were waaay far away in a yard) then why the hell would she run out in front a dangerous vehicle?? I guess committing suicide in front your kids is the safe thing to do these days. . .

Did you make the unforgivable mistake of not being in the highest possible gear with the quietest exhaust possible? That's usually what causes that flavour of insanity, in my experience.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I was at a stop light and the light turned green. I started going and I shifted into second gear. My car stopped accelerating momentarily while I was shifting and I guess the guy behind me was riding my rear end because he honked his horn at me. The street is extra wide for street parking but not divided into multiple lanes so the guy decided to speed up and pass me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Raluek posted:

No, I agree that it's perfectly fine to just drive past at a steady speed in the right lane, especially if there is a bit of traffic and you're not actively changing lanes to pass on the right.

But this guy came flying up and seemingly placed himself perfectly in my blind spot.

My point is that if you do pass on the right (and I do it myself, too), you have to be extra vigilant of traffic in front of you. The blind spot to your right is much worse than the one to your left.

I checked my mirrors and looked over my shoulder, and he still surprised the poo poo out of me, almost clipping the rear of my car.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 16, 2015

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Some guy in a big trailer was doing a 3 point turn on the M20 southbound yesterday, or at least thats what it looked like :psyduck:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of red lights, I don't get people who race up to it and the brake hard. Just lift the gas and try not to stop, and hopefully it'll turn green before you have to stop.

People get absolutely furious at this behavior, in my experience. I started doing this when I learned to drive manual because I was lazy and didn't want to have to start out in first at every light, and I've just kept it up over the years. I've had people lay on their horns, swerve around me on two-lane, no pass roads (into oncoming traffic), ride my bumper, whatever. I'm not even talking about excessively slowing down, just cruising and engine braking up to a light that's clearly red.

In general, it seems like other drivers really want to stop and go. I run into the same kind of rage when coasting along at low speeds in traffic rather than constantly speeding up to the next car's bumper and slamming on my brakes. I'm cheap, people, let me save my 0.0001mpg in peace. :mad:

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Vanagoon posted:

This is on surface streets, but my 'favorite' are the people who slow to a near stop in the right lane like their car will tip over if it experiences more than 0.00001G and then proceed to idle their way into the drive of the place they're going.

loving hate this.

I guess it makes me an impatient jackass but every now and again I get fed up with this poo poo and lean on the horn.

This is my biggest traffic annoyance, other than people who cannot comprehend right-of-way at intersections.

You do not need to come to a complete stop to make a turn if you do not have a light or a stop sign. Signal, slow down a bit and take the turn. You're not going to die if you take your foot off the brake.

Speaking of brakes - I followed some Russian woman driving husband's brand new giant truck down a very steep and winding hill. She did not take her foot off the brake for like two miles. Those poor brake pads.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MrOnBicycle posted:

I've gotten the brotruck flyby so many times after passing them at a stoplight with this method. They get passed by some pissant in a yellow sport compact, and it engages their berserker mode wherein they absolutely MUST show off how important and loud their HEMI is. RRRRAREHRHGHR MY TRUCK CAN ACHIEVE 60MPH IN A 45 TAKE THAT FAAAAAAG

(says the guy with a 3 inch exhaust, but eh)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Vanagoon posted:

loving hate this.

This is incredibly irritating but you know what's worse?

When people pull OUT of their driveway onto a road with a 45 mph speed limit and proceed to give a long hard look at their accelerator in an attempt to speed up from the 7mph they're going while you're barreling down on them from behind going 50.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I checked a while ago and it's fully legal to pass on the right almost anywhere you would consider doing it in most of new england, at least.

And yes, I do it all the time, and it makes some left lane fuckwads really really mad.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I've seen enough crazy red light runners that I always wait a second before gunning it on the green if I'm at the front of the queue. Person behind me usually is texting anyways so its not like they care.

Unrelated, but why do I always get tailgaters when it's raining? The 'wash your windshield so they realize wow they're way too loving close" doesn't work when it's raining.

E: There's this one turn on a major road here where the side road is way too loving steep, so you pretty much have to make the turn at a crawl or you'll lose your bumper. Seen more than a few fender benders from that one turn. Anywhere else I'd get pissed off at the crawl, but that fuckin Bojangles, it makes sense.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 16, 2015

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

The Midniter posted:

This is incredibly irritating but you know what's worse?

When people pull OUT of their driveway onto a road with a 45 mph speed limit and proceed to give a long hard look at their accelerator in an attempt to speed up from the 7mph they're going while you're barreling down on them from behind going 50.

Yeah that's loving scary, too. I used to get that poo poo a lot on highway 51 going past Munford, TN.

I think this is somehow tied to the fact that a lot of Americans are terrified of using more than 1/5 of the accelerator pedal travel or letting the revs climb past 3000rpm. "Durr Hurr you're gonna break it!" No, I'm not.

These people's engines must be so choked the gently caress up with carbon and poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slow turners are the worst kind of timid drivers. I don't think anything on the road irritates me more than that.

Not only do I have to ride my brakes, I have to jam the gas to get back up to traffic speed once they're out of the way. I want to keep my momentum you ninnies. :argh:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
How about slow turners who also hang em wide and bank like they're flying a loving jumbo jet? I've thought someone was about to take a right turn when they were actually going left before because of this. Naturally, no turn signal was involved.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Paradoxish posted:

People get absolutely furious at this behavior, in my experience. I started doing this when I learned to drive manual because I was lazy and didn't want to have to start out in first at every light, and I've just kept it up over the years. I've had people lay on their horns, swerve around me on two-lane, no pass roads (into oncoming traffic), ride my bumper, whatever. I'm not even talking about excessively slowing down, just cruising and engine braking up to a light that's clearly red.

In general, it seems like other drivers really want to stop and go. I run into the same kind of rage when coasting along at low speeds in traffic rather than constantly speeding up to the next car's bumper and slamming on my brakes. I'm cheap, people, let me save my 0.0001mpg in peace. :mad:

Fucknag posted:

I've gotten the brotruck flyby so many times after passing them at a stoplight with this method. They get passed by some pissant in a yellow sport compact, and it engages their berserker mode wherein they absolutely MUST show off how important and loud their HEMI is. RRRRAREHRHGHR MY TRUCK CAN ACHIEVE 60MPH IN A 45 TAKE THAT FAAAAAAG

(says the guy with a 3 inch exhaust, but eh)

I only see that from the occasional wannabe racer in an audi or something. But then again, eco driving like that is a required thing to do to pass your drivers test here, which maybe explains why I haven't been murdered yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I see that mostly with larger vehicles, I typically assume it's because they lost track of the curb and don't want to clip it.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

GenericOverusedName posted:

I've seen enough crazy red light runners that I always wait a second before gunning it on the green if I'm at the front of the queue. Person behind me usually is texting anyways so its not like they care.

I was heading to work one day and turning right from the left lane of a double turn lane (end of an exit ramp.) For whatever completely random reason, I looked left when the light hit green before I started going just in time to see a guy in a work truck cruise through the intersection. He wasn't trying to beat the red, he just completely spaced out judging from the brief raised flail of his arms after he made it through. Would have been t-boned at 45 MPH...missing work might have been kinda nice though. gently caress that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I swing wide sometimes cause city streets are tight and my surburban's wheelbase is like 11 feet and the alternative is....slowing down more. So pick one or the other.