Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver posted:

That one's never not hilarious. Do you have the one where he confesses he struggles with dark, mohammedan desires? I can't find it.

Found it!

". . . now you know your lowest of moments are my highest of moments. The reason why I am so disgusted by the Leftwingers constantly tempting victims of same-sex attraction to give into their filthy sexual desires is not because my sexual desires are Christian and clean, but because they are Mohammedan and filthy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Megazver posted:

Found it!

". . . now you know your lowest of moments are my highest of moments. The reason why I am so disgusted by the Leftwingers constantly tempting victims of same-sex attraction to give into their filthy sexual desires is not because my sexual desires are Christian and clean, but because they are Mohammedan and filthy."

I don't generally like to Internet psychoanalyse, but god drat does Wright need to find a cute Middle Eastern guy and have the weirdest, kinkiest sex that his hideously repressed mind can comprehend.

If the Sad Puppies were focusing their energies on making that happen rather than rigging the Hugos, the sci-fi community would be an infinitely better, healthier place.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Hey for better or worse Worldcon and the Hugos haven't had this much attention in decades!

Ain't no such thing as bad publicity, right?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I'm about three chapters into The Carpet Makers, and despite the intriguing premise, I'm actually finding it quite boring. Does it pick up at some point, or should I just throw in the towel?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Megazver posted:

Found it!

I like his books but loving lmao is he nuts.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't generally like to Internet psychoanalyse, but god drat does Wright need to find a cute Middle Eastern guy and have the weirdest, kinkiest sex that his hideously repressed mind can comprehend.

Now, now. There's no evidence that he doesn't want to have filthy degrading sex with a woman.

Remember kids, it 's the filthy degrading sex that's important. Not who you have it with. :science:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

Now, now. There's no evidence that he doesn't want to have filthy degrading sex with a woman.

Remember kids, it 's the filthy degrading sex that's important. Not who you have it with. :science:

I think 'Mohammedan' refers to how many women he wants to have sex with. More than just the one, the pervert.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 14, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

Dude feels personally threatened by the homosexual agenda giving license to his darkest sexual desires.

Hard to read it another way.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Darth Walrus posted:

That might do wonders for him, but what cute Middle Eastern guy deserves to have John C Wright inflicted upon them?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Autonomous Monster posted:

That might do wonders for him, but what cute Middle Eastern guy deserves to have John C Wright inflicted upon them?

Jian Ghomeshi?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Seldom Posts posted:

Jian Ghomeshi?

Ziiiiiiing

Still, that would be unnecessary cruelty to Big Ears Teddy. He's been through too much already.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

:popcorn:

quote:

John C Wright
23 hours
Concerning Mr Pratchett, I believe human life is sacred, and all civilized men owe the back of their hand to a barbarian who says otherwise, whether he is a witty writer of lighthearted fiction or not.
I have no objection to your storing a record of my comment concerning a man who promotes the abomination called euthanasia. It is murdering depressed people who are sick.
Concerning Mr DiMartino and Mr Konietzko, I hold sex and marriage to be sacred, not to be demeaned by unchaste or unnatural lusts.
Not to worry, my column condemning them is also preserved, not deleted, and I will republish it in due time.
Sorry if your halfhearted attempt to throw me in to a bad light encounters interruptions. You only want to know what I think and believe on a topic when it matches your dishonest and simpleminded narrative. That is why you edited your version here.
I am under no obligation to assist you in your libels. You go to such angular and absurd efforts to portray me in an unfavorable light: why not portray me as I am?
It will not require you to keep track of as many lies, nor to post links your readers might surprise you by following.

http://crimeandtheforcesofevil.com/blog/2015/04/since-some-puppies-are-deleting-things/

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

He seems very "<tips fedora> m'lady"

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

He seems very "<tips fedora> m'lady"

gently caress, he uses the Shadow, an actual fedora-wearer, as his personal icon. (As someone who enjoys the original Shadow pulps, this annoys me to no end.)

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Thank you, Sci-Fi thread, for allowing me to cross a potential author off any future purchases I'll be making. :stare:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I enjoyed The Golden Age and sequels despite the Ayn Rand and logic-denial elements, but apparently those were written before the man went completely nuts.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Selachian posted:

gently caress, he uses the Shadow, an actual fedora-wearer, as his personal icon. (As someone who enjoys the original Shadow pulps, this annoys me to no end.)

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? John C. Wright knows... because it's sure as hell lurking in his.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KU4O1CY/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu is out. I haven't read it at all yet, but I'm predicting already this will sweep some awards and be talked about a bunch etc. etc.

Ken Liu has been on a loving tear recently; I don't know how he has time to do any of this poo poo. He has like a published translation and/or short in almost every issue of Clarke's World, he's working on translating book three of the Three Body Problem, and he's writing an epic Fantasy trilogy inspired by "Negative space in classical Chinese paintings," that is already getting compared to Game of Thrones as far as scope.

I'm going to start reading it today, so maybe it's total poo poo, but it seems doubtful!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Groke posted:

I enjoyed The Golden Age and sequels despite the Ayn Rand and logic-denial elements, but apparently those were written before the man went completely nuts.

If you enjoyed that, don't let his obvious craziness turn you off the Count to a Trillion books. Posthuman superscientists warring over the ages by manipulating the human species into a myriad of forms based on each superscientist's particular philosophy. Wright is really imaginative, if nothing else.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

angel opportunity posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KU4O1CY/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu is out. I haven't read it at all yet, but I'm predicting already this will sweep some awards and be talked about a bunch etc. etc.

Ken Liu has been on a loving tear recently; I don't know how he has time to do any of this poo poo. He has like a published translation and/or short in almost every issue of Clarke's World, he's working on translating book three of the Three Body Problem, and he's writing an epic Fantasy trilogy inspired by "Negative space in classical Chinese paintings," that is already getting compared to Game of Thrones as far as scope.

I'm going to start reading it today, so maybe it's total poo poo, but it seems doubtful!

It's pretty good. I'm almost done with it. I can see it winning some awards, but not sweeping.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Ken Liu's shorts tend to be really good so I'm excited to see what he can do with a full-length work.

I wouldn't be surprised if he sweeps, to be honest. The SFF community absolutely loves him and they tend to prop up the people they universally love (Ann Leckie, for example).

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Connie Willis wrote up a nice post explaining why she has declined to be a presenter at this year's Hugo awards.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Ken Liu's shorts tend to be really good so I'm excited to see what he can do with a full-length work.

I wouldn't be surprised if he sweeps, to be honest. The SFF community absolutely loves him and they tend to prop up the people they universally love (Ann Leckie, for example).

I've enjoyed all of Ken Liu's shorts that I've read, and he has a Michael Swanwick-like ability to punch you in the gut with his work. I'm interested in reading Grace of Kings but I tend to wait a while on fantasy series to at least get a few books out if not finish.

The awards always have a few favorites--Mike Resnick being possibly the most-nominated author for the Hugos as an example, or Connie Willis basically winning anytime she publishes something. It doesn't bother me too much. Liu might be able to sweep but I haven't heard the sort of rumbling major buzz coming up around Grace of Kings that Ancillary Justice got, or even Hild which won none of the several things it was nominated for, a tragedy.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I dunno, there's been a bit of a buzz about Grace of Kings in the blogs I follow. Like, just today:

http://io9.com/ken-lius-grace-of-kings-is-the-bold-epic-fantasy-weve-b-1697843114

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

He's been writing some interesting articles lately, like this one on translating nineteenth-century science fiction into Chinese and Japanese (and features a cameo from Lu Xun): http://io9.com/the-heroic-translators-who-reinvented-classic-science-1696944844 - and something else, perhaps his AMA, talking about how he wrote the book.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I just finished Grace of Kings. If you are worried about it needing more books in the series to pick it up, just pick it up now. The story is fully self-contained. The book is interesting for me because I enjoyed it almost in spite of some of the writing. It's fairly obvious to me it's his first novel and he's used to writing shorter stories. The plot is excellent, and it had some twists I wasn't expecting, but there was just something that was a little "off" to me that I can't fully explain. The character all had motivations and were realistic, yet at the same time could feel like they had little depth. I still really enjoyed it, and I would recommend it. The ending was excellent, and revised my opinion upwards into saying he might be able to sweep awards. I look forward to seeing where he goes with the world, as I enjoyed his world building a lot.

He also responded to me on Facebook around 3 minutes after I asked him a question about his translation of 3 body problem, and frankly, I'll support most authors that are willing to do that.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Man I picked up the first book of that Marko Kloos MilSci series that was nominated for a Hugo since it was a quid and my god. It's absolute pulp trash with the thinnest plot and characters i've read in ages. Like some of the worst self published stuff on Amazon. I know the Hugos are Dumb and Bad but this stuff getting nominated for anything just really makes me sad when there's been so many incredible scifi/fantasy books out the past 5/6 years or so.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

ed balls balls man posted:

Man I picked up the first book of that Marko Kloos MilSci series that was nominated for a Hugo since it was a quid and my god. It's absolute pulp trash with the thinnest plot and characters i've read in ages. Like some of the worst self published stuff on Amazon. I know the Hugos are Dumb and Bad but this stuff getting nominated for anything just really makes me sad when there's been so many incredible scifi/fantasy books out the past 5/6 years or so.

Well, to his credit, Marko Kloos has decided to withdraw from the Hugos because he doesn't want to be associated with Vox Day. Annie Bellet, whose "Goodnight Stars" was up in Best Short Story, has also withdrawn.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Haha, Wright's "Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus" was disqualified from the Best Novelette category because he self-published it on his website in 2013 and now the various flavors of puppies are losing their poo poo because Scalzi serialized Old Man's War on his blog years before it was formally published, but he still made the Best Novel ballot in 2006.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

I read some of that a year or so ago and it didn't seem any worse than most of the Scalzi I've read.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

Haha, Wright's "Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus" was disqualified from the Best Novelette category because he self-published it on his website in 2013 and now the various flavors of puppies are losing their poo poo because Scalzi serialized Old Man's War on his blog years before it was formally published, but he still made the Best Novel ballot in 2006.

That....sounds like a legit complaint to me?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
"Dune World" was serialized in 1964 and together with its sequel "Prophet of Dune" was accepted in 1966 as "Dune".
"The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" was serialized in 1965-66 and was nominated as a novel in both 1966 and 1967.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Award_for_Best_Novel#cite_note-DW-18

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I think if this had been a serialized novel, it would be fine, but this was just a reprinted novelette so the WorldCon folks probably made the right call.

There was also a question about Wright's novella, as it was previously published as a short story and later significantly expanded, so it stayed on the ballot in the novella category (ditto for Kratman).

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Scalzi's belief on his blog is just that publishing and how people think of something being on the Internet has changed in the last ten years. Also, I believe the staff for the Hugos change year over year, so it's not the same people organising it this year as in 2006 and they aren't obligated to make the same calls.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Peel posted:

Scalzi's belief on his blog is just that publishing and how people think of something being on the Internet has changed in the last ten years. Also, I believe the staff for the Hugos change year over year, so it's not the same people organising it this year as in 2006 and they aren't obligated to make the same calls.

A further revisitation of "publication" is probably on the slate for discussion for later years, along with the nomination process and etcetera. I can't say that the Puppies have no point there, but Scalzi is probably right: times change. Ten years ago, putting up one's fiction for free was some quaint thing Cory Doctorow weirdos did, these days it's a common promotional tactic even with big name authors and anthologies or magazines gathering up an already-famous story for publication does sort of seem like a reprint.

In other news, I also decided to stop waffling and just buy Grace of Kings based on at least this thread's enthusiasm for it. I look forward to being punched in the emotions repeatedly.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Peel posted:

gently caress precedent man, what's it ever done for us?

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

Groke posted:

I found it unbelievably dry. There are very few books I start and don't finish, but this was one of them. No engagement with the characters at all. This was before I learned about the author, and I have pretty much no reason to go back now!

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

That's what I said (on the Space Opera thread, but still)! The plot is weak but the characters are nonexistent. Everyone but the white male lead is a last name and an archetype. The white male lead also has a first name to go with his archetype.

I'm just amazed that somebody enjoyed the book enough to remember it, let alone put it on a "This is 'Popular' (for White Men) Sci Fi" slate. gently caress, I'm pretty sure there's a Baen book released in the right time frame that was more readable.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Like some of the worst self published stuff on Amazon.

Haha nope, far far far from the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Srice posted:

That....sounds like a legit complaint to me?

thehomemaster posted:

gently caress precedent man, what's it ever done for us?

You are assuming they are arguing good faith, rather than alleging a conspiracy after they hosed up and didn't familiarize themselves with the rules and how they have changed over the years.