Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If they do 16 CPU's + a moderately powerful GPU + 32MB L3 on one die I'd be surprised. It'd have to be gigantic even on 14nm. Definitely a server part.

Totally unfounded speculating here:

Maybe they'll go multi die CPU and GPU and use the interposer to link up the CPU, GPU, and HBM memory dies? They'll already have to put a interposer on there for the HBM to work, why not leverage that interposer as much as possible?

Any reason why that couldn't work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
if HBM is fairly small comparatively, could you get away with a video card that aren't so big? Something that just slots in next to the CPU and is around the same size. You might not need to create a APUs. Just create a version equivalent of a HD5000 on the CPU and create bundles that include more powerful GPUs

I'd love a PC where the only requirement of the size of the case is the size of the cooling. But it still might be stupid confusing compared to APUs.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Power circuitry + heat from the VRM's and GPU would necessitate that you have it a decent distance from the CPU and a decent sized HSF for anything with mid to high range performance.

For low end stuff it might be doable but low end GPU's wouldn't have HBM anyways.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If they do 16 CPU's + a moderately powerful GPU + 32MB L3 on one die I'd be surprised. It'd have to be gigantic even on 14nm. Definitely a server part.

What's the use case of a fast-ish iGPU in a server though? You either don't need a GPU at all, or you're doing heavy GPGPU work and will be stuffing every PCI-E slot with discrete cards that crush any iGPU.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

What's the use case of a fast-ish iGPU in a server though? You either don't need a GPU at all, or you're doing heavy GPGPU work and will be stuffing every PCI-E slot with discrete cards that crush any iGPU.
I could see a future use case for GPU accelerated VDI sessions.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

repiv posted:

What's the use case of a fast-ish iGPU in a server though?
In a server, now or in the future? I dunno. I do know they're trying to push HSA though and I don't think that really pans out well with a slow 'good enough for desktop usage' IGP...but that is just guess work on my part. 'Server CPU' is a bit of colloquialism though. Just like Xeons and Opterons are meant for, and used in, servers they were often used for performance work stations too.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

AMD owns Seamicro. I think that's the use case. You don't build a server chip that you can't use in that microserver company that you own.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 12, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ehnus posted:

There can be bugs on machines with lower numbers of cores that can sometimes manifest. For example if you have two threads of high priority busy-waiting for work to be finished by threads of lower priority the system can stop making forward progress as the operating system will not pre-empt the higher priority threads. On a four core system this situation wouldn't happen.

Sometimes these hangs happen, sometimes they don't, I can't speak for those who set the system requirements but I would not be surprised if it is easier just to say "no dual-core processors even if it appears to work" than to deal with the prospect of making architecture changes that might not be feasible.

I don't remember ever running into a game that had set itself to High or even AboveNormal priority. I'm pretty sure they all run as Normal priority.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Anyone see this?

http://wccftech.com/amd-allegedly-merge-samsung/

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

This gets passed around a lot. Every time it does, both parties say it's not happening.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
I feel like that's a rumor that gets started by AMD every year or two to try and coax Samsung into actually doing it.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't remember ever running into a game that had set itself to High or even AboveNormal priority. I'm pretty sure they all run as Normal priority.

Process priority class and thread priority level are different.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I bought a AMD FX-series CPU (specifically an FX-8370) :ohdear:

I also bought a Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler because my computer was making too much noise.

But while testing the noise level at full blast and 100% CPU load on all 8 cores, I noticed that my CPU is throttling (those dips in the temperature graph are from the cores dropping down to 1500 MHz):

Speccy and Asus fan Xpert don't agree on what the cpu temperature actually is, but neither 42C and 55C sound so hot that it should be throttling. Especially since with the stock cooler I'm pretty sure the temperature rose to over 60C at points.

So what should I try?

The only thing I can think of immediately is reapplying the heat sink and the thermal grease.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Wheany posted:

I bought a AMD FX-series CPU (specifically an FX-8370) :ohdear:

I also bought a Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler because my computer was making too much noise.

But while testing the noise level at full blast and 100% CPU load on all 8 cores, I noticed that my CPU is throttling (those dips in the temperature graph are from the cores dropping down to 1500 MHz):

Speccy and Asus fan Xpert don't agree on what the cpu temperature actually is, but neither 42C and 55C sound so hot that it should be throttling. Especially since with the stock cooler I'm pretty sure the temperature rose to over 60C at points.

So what should I try?

The only thing I can think of immediately is reapplying the heat sink and the thermal grease.

It could be the motherboard forcing throttling because it can't deliver the power. I believe this has happened to a handful of AMD boards, and even some Intel ones (such as the notorious Gigabyte that was massively cut-down from the original model). The VRMs are probably cooking. I barely even want to ask why you bought this CPU.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 15, 2015

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I bought it because it was compatible with my mobo :shrug: (or so I thought at least)

I've been using it for a couple of months now and have not noticed anything except now that I specifically watched the temperatures under full load.

Oh well, I may have owned myself one last by deciding to go AMD almost a decade ago.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
What motherboard? If it's one of those lovely 4-phase vrm boards with no heatsinks on them it's possible it's not able to handle the chip. Also apparently per-core temperatures on that aren't supposed to go above ~61-62c so maybe there's something in the board's settings (cool and quiet???) forcing it to throttle down.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wheany posted:

I bought it because it was compatible with my mobo :shrug: (or so I thought at least)

I've been using it for a couple of months now and have not noticed anything except now that I specifically watched the temperatures under full load.

Oh well, I may have owned myself one last by deciding to go AMD almost a decade ago.

Things change in a decade, 10 years ago AMD was the best choice for desktop CPUs by a mile with Athlon 64s competing against Pentium 4s.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Twerk from Home posted:

Things change in a decade, 10 years ago AMD was the best choice for desktop CPUs by a mile with Athlon 64s competing against Pentium 4s.

Ten years ago we were about to get the Pentium D. Nine years ago we got the C2D.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I remember the computer I built in the summer of 2006. It had an Athlon 64 4000+ in it. I was just a naive teenager at the time playing with his parents money, and didn't even think to research to see if a better processor was coming out within the next month or so.

Well, wouldn't you know it, but the C2D hit almost exactly a month later. That was a tough lesson to swallow :smith:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, I used AMD back then because I liked AMD in the Athlon64 period, after that I've just upgraded one component at a time because something has always been backwards compatible.

I bought that processor because it was the most powerful one that is(?) compatible with my mobo, electrical power wise. Except lol, owned.

I have to check the temperatures of the components on the mobo...

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The Athlons/Phenoms were still reasonable choices when the Core chips were out. It wasn't until Intel's Sandy Bridge displayed a massive leap forward in efficiency while AMD's Bulldozer just kinda fell on its face that the gap became so huge that it's really hard to recommend an AMD based build.

It's pretty much the reverse of the Pentium 4/Athlon XP era.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I bought a Phenom 9600 back in 2008 and felt stupid for doing so, the core 2 quads were out and crushing everything. It's been a long time since they really made sense.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

pienipple posted:

The Athlons/Phenoms were still reasonable choices when the Core chips were out. It wasn't until Intel's Sandy Bridge displayed a massive leap forward in efficiency while AMD's Bulldozer just kinda fell on its face that the gap became so huge that it's really hard to recommend an AMD based build.

It's pretty much the reverse of the Pentium 4/Athlon XP era.

I don't know, I somewhat disagree with the timing. Basically ever since Conroe hit, AMD has been behind. (Conroe was so impressive that some used "conroe'd" to describe a leap in tech). The original Phenom was balls. The Phenom II was fairly reasonable - picking up an X3 and unlocking it represented killer value; and the Phenom II X6 was better than the FX series that replaced it for some time (embarrassingly for AMD). Then Sandy Bridge hit and the gap widened hugely again.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 15, 2015

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Yeah, there was definitely a performance gap in that era but it wasn't so bad that it was insane. AMD systems could still be a solid choice especially if you were working on a tight budget. You might choose a less expensive AMD chip + mobo to have more of your budget available for a beefier video card, and as long as you were going with a mid-to-upper-mid range processor you'd get quite reasonable performance.

The gap is so wide between their current offerings that it's basically insurmountable, especially when heat and efficiency are factored in.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

HalloKitty posted:

I don't know, I somewhat disagree with the timing. Basically ever since Conroe hit, AMD has been behind. (Conroe was so impressive that some used "conroe'd" to describe a leap in tech). The original Phenom was balls. The Phenom II was fairly reasonable - picking up an X3 and unlocking it represented killer value; and the Phenom II X6 was better than the FX series that replaced it for some time (embarrassingly for AMD). Then Sandy Bridge hit and the gap widened hugely again.

Yeah, 4 years ago AMD still had some great budget offerings. I built my main PC around a Phenom II X4 840 processor that I got for $100 in early 2011 and was super happy with the price/performance ratio. That was the last AMD processor I have used in a build though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
No matter how much the gap widens, the people on reddit recommending AMD for a budget gaming build will never go away.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Brand loyalty is a hell of a drug.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I miss my old Deneb/Thuban build :(. I still have an Asus Sabertooth board that no one wanted (but someone bought the CPU so :iiam:), I wonder if grabbing something like a 1050t would be worth it. Aren't the Thubans theoretical better than Visheras?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

FaustianQ posted:

I miss my old Deneb/Thuban build :(. I still have an Asus Sabertooth board that no one wanted (but someone bought the CPU so :iiam:), I wonder if grabbing something like a 1050t would be worth it. Aren't the Thubans theoretical better than Visheras?

The Thubans held their own quite well against the earlier Bulldozer chips but the higher end Visheras are clocked too highly for Thubans to compete.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/880-7/rendu-3d-mental-ray-v-ray.html - in french but the graphs show the FX-8350 beating the 1100T in every benchmark except Skyrim handily.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Beautiful Ninja posted:

The Thubans held their own quite well against the earlier Bulldozer chips but the higher end Visheras are clocked too highly for Thubans to compete.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/880-7/rendu-3d-mental-ray-v-ray.html - in french but the graphs show the FX-8350 beating the 1100T in every benchmark except Skyrim handily.

Is it simply a clock speed issue or an architectural one? What if I water cool and try to crank a Thuban up to 4.0ghz? The article seems to be using the stock 1100T speed and even when the FX8350 beats it it doesn't seem to be that far ahead. I mean this is really dumb and my i5 is fine, but nostalgia calls and I'm full of dumb build ideas

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
If you can get the chip for cheap enough it's worth a shot.

Weird that reddit's still all-in on AMD. Reading some niche hardware forums it seems like most AMD diehards have finally given up and switched to Intel, although I did see a post recently when one AMD-haver was showing pics of his ridiculous dedicated VRM fans and rear-socket fans to another poster. This wasn't even for suicide runs, it was just so that he could overclock the chip enough to almost compete with a haswell setup.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

cisco privilege posted:

If you can get the chip for cheap enough it's worth a shot.

Weird that reddit's still all-in on AMD. Reading some niche hardware forums it seems like most AMD diehards have finally given up and switched to Intel, although I did see a post recently when one AMD-haver was showing pics of his ridiculous dedicated VRM fans and rear-socket fans to another poster. This wasn't even for suicide runs, it was just so that he could overclock the chip enough to almost compete with a haswell setup.

All but the most die-hard AMD fans have admitted that there's pretty much no more reason to get an AMD chip but they're convinced that Zen is the promised land.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Reddit is getting better. r/Buildapc is pretty much all Intel now, the occasional AMD nut gives advice but they are quickly shut down. The source of a lot of issues is that the head mod and build advice guy of r/PCMasterRace, the biggest reddit PC gaming community, is also the owner of both r/AMD and a raging Intel hateboner. If you want to see lovely AMD builds and conspiracy theories (Anandtech and Tom's Hardware are PAID by INTEL to make their stuff look good, see?! Something something antitrust lawsuit), check out the PCMasterRace builds.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Ragingsheep posted:

All but the most die-hard AMD fans have admitted that there's pretty much no more reason to get an AMD chip but they're convinced that Zen is the promised land.

Zen is either the promised land or a smoking crater, AMD doesn't have a future if Zen is bad or not good enough. A timed release with 400 series cards might help them likely 2016 late Q2, but 2016 is pretty do or VIA.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It really *is* the promised land if they can pull it off. I happened to poke through ifixit earlier today, and here's a shot of the entire mainboard of the new Macbook:

That's it. From top to bottom. Processor is on the opposite side, but there's an Intel Core-M, non-Iris graphics, DDR, everything. But man, if Zen is comparable to the contemporary Intel architecture, that would be a coup that AMD could easily orchestrate.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Okay, I checked some components on the mobo using a laser thermometer and they're getting close to 100 degrees C under load :downs: (under 60 when mostly idling)

Also, I'm pretty sure now that this isn't a new problem that appeared after I changed the cooler, rather it has been like this from when I bought the new CPU.

The CPU still is faster than the old Phenom II I had, so I guess now I'll just keep using it until the mobo to frys itself.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Or replace the mobo and not risk potential electrical damage to more precious components?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
That doesn't sound very #YOLO

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wheany posted:

The CPU still is faster than the old Phenom II I had, so I guess now I'll just keep using it until the mobo to frys itself.

AMDPCMasterRace.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

teagone posted:

Yeah, 4 years ago AMD still had some great budget offerings. I built my main PC around a Phenom II X4 840 processor that I got for $100 in early 2011 and was super happy with the price/performance ratio. That was the last AMD processor I have used in a build though.

You know, the flip side of this is that I can keep riding the 2500K that I got for $200 in 2011 for the forseeable future.

• Locked thread