Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Also the war-heavy early republic period is not really that great as a scenario either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

New Tash Kalar expansion (in prototype) with demons as the faction, new Galaxy Trucker expansion and Vlaada has a new FPS (board)game called Adrenaline coming out. Hype (BGG link)

Yesss.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

If you don't like Dominion because of theme just play Puzzle Strike.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

GrandpaPants posted:

New Tash Kalar expansion (in prototype) with demons as the faction, new Galaxy Trucker expansion and Vlaada has a new FPS (board)game called Adrenaline coming out. Hype (BGG link)

Yesss.

You didn't mention the Vlaada word game. Why would you not mention a Vlaada word game?

Seriously I can't wait to see what the gently caress he's doing in those genres.

I'm really happy that Tash-Kalar is getting continued expansion support.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 15, 2015

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bubble-T posted:

You didn't mention the Vlaada word game. Why would you not mention a Vlaada word game?

Seriously I can't wait to see what the gently caress he's doing in those genres.

I'm really happy that Tash-Kalar is getting continued expansion support.

So hyped for VlaadaCon this year!!!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rutibex posted:

You are in luck there is a deck builder out there that both has excellent mechanics (because it's just Dominion) and is terrible. Is pedophilia a flavor?

Do you always post sample pictures of paedophilia when asking people if they like it?

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Was away on business Monday night, so went for dinner in the pub next to the hotel.

When the bar manager comes over with my food I'm playing San Juan on my tablet.

:goleft: What the hell are you playing?

Those are you first words to a customer? Now I'm nervous. I'm either about to get stick for being a nerd who plays something more than Candy Crush on my tablet, or I'm going to get sucked into explaining what San Juan is and how it works.

:downs: "It's a card game called San Juan. You start with just a few basic buildings, and using the cards in your hand you build more buildings to get points."

:goleft: "Oh cool, that sounds like Catan. Have you ever played that? It's awesome, my wife and I play it on our iPads all the time."

:downs: "Yeah it's a good game. I prefer less randomness in games though, stuff like Agricola or 7 Wonders."

:goleft: "Cool. Hey, have you ever played Cards Against Humanity? It's hilarious, I recommend it! Anyway, enjoy your steak!

:downsgun:

(That said he didn't charge me for the pint I ordered so maybe it pays to be a board-gamer?)

Zveroboy fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 15, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

Do you always post sample pictures of paedophilia when asking people if they like it?

Thats a card from the actual game :v: Of course it is not real pedophilia, these are anime girls and, as is well known, over 18 no matter what they look like.
If it's good enough for Felecia Day it should be good enough for anyone with poor taste in board games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E94751B3Kg4

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

Zveroboy posted:

:goleft: "Oh cool, that sounds like Catan. Have you ever played that? It's awesome, my wife and I play it on our iPads all the time."

:downs: "Yeah it's a good game. I prefer less randomness in games though, stuff like Agricola or 7 Wonders."

As a pro social tip in case you have a conversation like this again, stop after "Yeah, it's a good game."

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Esposito posted:

As a pro social tip in case you have a conversation like this again, stop after "Yeah, it's a good game."

Are you suggesting that I keep my adoration of a particular 16th Century German farming simulator game to myself?

How dare you. These party game playing plebs must be educated. :colbert:

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Yesss.

Reading the replies to the post on BGG someone states that the FPS game Adrenaline is not a Vlaada game. Still hype.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bottom Liner posted:

So what are the best deck builder games if I have terrible taste in games and really like Ascension and Star Realms?

I really just like drafting mechanics, hence why I love deck builder games. Dominion doesn't really do it for me though, the lack of flavor feels like I'm playing a spreadsheet.

Yo if you like deckbuilding and drafting and don't mind a little shortage on game balance, try Nightfall. It's literally not as bad as the DC deckbuilder and has some interesting unique concepts.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Zombie #246 posted:

It.......takes a while to get the hang of it. Watch alot of tutorials/vids of people explaining it, and check out the Living Rulebook cause it's laid out much better. I really enjoy it, but it is a bit bloated and overcomplicated for what it is. It made more sense to me thinking of it as a cardgame with a bigass board of references, cause that's all it is.

Thanks, I'll check those out. Republic of Rome seems like one of those games that could really use some modernization. I love the idea behind the open senate phases (voting for and electing officials, conscripting soldiers, assigning governors and generals, land bills etc) but the game suffers from the old school Avalon Hill fiddliness with hundreds of tables, counters, and dice rolls, most of which could probably be streamlined or improved in some way or another.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Wir Sind Das Volk arrived! Read the rulebook and noticed that there are couple of things that we played way, way wrong! Reminder that I should always read rulebooks myself. Game might be less unbalanced to the East than I thought.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

GrandpaPants posted:

Yesss.

oh hell yes can't wait

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Toshimo posted:

Yo if you like deckbuilding and drafting and don't mind a little shortage on game balance, try Nightfall. It's literally not as bad as the DC deckbuilder and has some interesting unique concepts.

Oh you mean the game that defines king making. I sold that game in the middle of playing it the first time.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Thanks, I'll check those out. Republic of Rome seems like one of those games that could really use some modernization. I love the idea behind the open senate phases (voting for and electing officials, conscripting soldiers, assigning governors and generals, land bills etc) but the game suffers from the old school Avalon Hill fiddliness with hundreds of tables, counters, and dice rolls, most of which could probably be streamlined or improved in some way or another.

There's also some fan expansions that add earlier eras to the game; I like them because they slowly add the base rules to the game, like land bills and and such. decreases a lot of the information from load.bthe cost is that it adds playing time. Lets face it though, games like this are lucky to get played once a year, and it's a long game anyway.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I played a game of Xenoshyft, Colon Onslaught with a pal last night. It's a very weird game. I'd hesitate to call it a deck builder, at least not on the same level as Dominion. You only cycle your deck maybe 4 or 5 times during the course of the game, so it's less about planning for the future and more about getting what you need, when you need it. This removes a great deal of strategic depth for me. The meat of the game is the combat, and it felt paper thin. You have a line of soldiers and they bash heads against a line of aliens. You either kill all the aliens, or the base takes damage. It's a very 'stuff' focused game. It has a lot of cards: items, armor, weapons, soldiers, aliens, etc., but not a ton of 'game.' I haven't played any other cooperative deck builder to compare, but there's gotta be better options than this.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

apophenium posted:

I played a game of Xenoshyft, Colon Onslaught with a pal last night. It's a very weird game. I'd hesitate to call it a deck builder, at least not on the same level as Dominion. You only cycle your deck maybe 4 or 5 times during the course of the game, so it's less about planning for the future and more about getting what you need, when you need it. This removes a great deal of strategic depth for me. The meat of the game is the combat, and it felt paper thin. You have a line of soldiers and they bash heads against a line of aliens. You either kill all the aliens, or the base takes damage. It's a very 'stuff' focused game. It has a lot of cards: items, armor, weapons, soldiers, aliens, etc., but not a ton of 'game.' I haven't played any other cooperative deck builder to compare, but there's gotta be better options than this.

Played a game of Colon Onslaught with a friend huh? That what the kids are calling it these days?

Pictomania seems like one of those games that I'd like, but I really want to play it before buying it. I'd be surprised if I ever meet anyone else that's even heard of it, though.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Lorini posted:

Oh you mean the game that defines king making. I sold that game in the middle of playing it the first time.

Nah, Smallworld defines Kingmaking. Nightfall defines "we need MORE DIRECT CONFLICT in our combo games!"

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Yesss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WMBFghFCIg

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm surprised market-row based deckbuilders haven't come out that feature line drafting, bidding, variable turn order, and/or just more than 5 cards or so in the market. They all seem to suffer from internal balance issues, top-decking, turn order problems, card valuation (experience) being the dominant player skill (and lots of trap cards), population dependent strategy issues, Winning / invariant strategies, etc etc that aren't really new to games. Many other non-deckbuilding games games have a market.

They could add a line draft or dynamic cost to the cards, like in Small World or Suburbia.

They could add a bidding mechanic like in Keyflower.

They could feature more than 4-5 cards in the market

They could make turn order variable and influenced by player actions

I think that the problem with these games is less that they have a random market, and more that they are using rarity to limit the impact of broken cards in the O.G. Magic Black Lotus era sense. These games are simulating ripping open a booster pack, basically.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 15, 2015

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Purely a verbiage question: what does the general consensus refer to DBGs like Dominion as, vs the "market row" games? I personally took to referring to DBGs a while back as either "fixed market" (Dominion) or "dynamic market" (Ascension), but it seems that the market term is only used for the latter around here anyway.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Merauder posted:

Purely a verbiage question: what does the general consensus refer to DBGs like Dominion as, vs the "market row" games? I personally took to referring to DBGs a while back as either "fixed market" (Dominion) or "dynamic market" (Ascension), but it seems that the market term is only used for the latter around here anyway.

General consensus is 'Good' vs 'Bad'.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

That's a good question and I think I'm being sloppy with terminology. Seems like several elements of the market can be static or dynamic:

- Which items are available
- Cost of items
- Order of acquisition

The first item seems to typically eitherbe randomly determined at the beginning and then static, or randomly determined incrementally throughout the course of the game. Haven't seen many designs where players can strongly manipulate what's actually available in the market, although sometimes it happens in the random markets via various card effects that banish a card.

The second always seems to be fixed, with the exception of various effects that reduce the prices for a player or put a penalty token on a card/stack, etc.

The final one is pretty much always fixed, too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Merauder posted:

In my experience they're usually referred to as kingdom-based deck builders, after Dominion.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Missed this but anti-Dominion guy, you should check out Eminent Domain. it's pretty good and apart from anything else it's got a great picture of M Bison on the back of the expansion:

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

apophenium posted:

I got my copy as well and played 3 rounds solo. I enjoyed it, but I agree there's not much strategy to it though. I was wondering if there would be more strategy if you had 4-6 players though, as the rules say you can play your cards onto other people's defenses. I love tower defense games so I thought it was fun, and I have a few friends who are into TD games who I think will enjoy it.

I was annoyed that they have card slots for each item in the box, similar to Dominion, but unlike Dominion they don't have a guide in the box as to what each stack of cards is. This means that you basically have to pull all the cards out to find the 9 that you need for the setup, and so it ends up either taking a bunch of space to lay them all out, or it takes a lot of time for the setup.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Merauder posted:

I refer to market row deckbuilders as "parade-style" every now and again, but the proper name is "lovely." It comes as no surprise that no deckbuilder I consider good has a market parade.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm surprised market-row based deckbuilders haven't come out that feature line drafting, bidding, variable turn order, and/or just more than 5 cards or so in the market. They all seem to suffer from internal balance issues, top-decking, turn order problems, card valuation (experience) being the dominant player skill (and lots of trap cards), population dependent strategy issues, Winning / invariant strategies, etc etc that aren't really new to games. Many other non-deckbuilding games games have a market.

They could add a line draft or dynamic cost to the cards, like in Small World or Suburbia.

They could add a bidding mechanic like in Keyflower.

They could feature more than 4-5 cards in the market

They could make turn order variable and influenced by player actions

I think that the problem with these games is less that they have a random market, and more that they are using rarity to limit the impact of broken cards in the O.G. Magic Black Lotus era sense. These games are simulating ripping open a booster pack, basically.

Well If you want another random market game with more cards out you can always dive into the star trek deckbuilders. All of them IIRC have 9 card markets. They're still not great games but there's a huge variety of cards and the costs are at least somewhat in line with the power of the card in question. You could also reasonably play 4 or 5 different spocks or kirks at the same time if you get lucky, so I guess you can try to tolerate the game by going for the original star trek bridge crew or some nerdy pursuit like that, or just most varieties of spock. 50 shades of spock and/or kirk.

You cannot make full deck draw combos but you can get somewhat clever with card interactions. One annoying part of the game is that you have to 'explore' to reveal victory point cards and the method to acquire them is to have enough of the proper 'currency' to do so by way of your cards, and don't have a choice for what type of VP card you're going for - they're just pulled from a random pile so it's possible you can't even get them and someone else can snag it right away on their turn. There's like 4-5 different statistics that can be the currency a card will require to get. Money, attack, speed, diplomacy w/e. Some of the cards initiate a battle which will award VPs to the winner so you may end up giving points to an opponent while trying to get your own.

I've typed a lot of words about a game I have no strong feelings for one way or another beyond complaining that it isn't Dominion. Personally I'm not super fond of market row deckbuilders for reasons discussed all over in the thread.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 15, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I mean, if you think about it, Keyflower could be designed as a market parade game.

Replace the bidding with fixed costs on the tiles. Make the turn order static. Reduce the market to 5 available tiles. Mix all the different season tiles together. Randomly give people boats every 8 or so rounds. Weeeeeeeee

Now you've introduced potential problems with cost imbalance, turn order problems, strategies that can't get off the ground because of scarcity of the supporting tiles, top decking, etc.

Seems like it would be interesting to apply these keyflower mechanisms in reverse to a market parade deck builder and see if it becomes interesting.

EmDo is so cool because your strategy is dynamic based on what you anticipate other people will do on their next turn. Puzzle Strike has tempo of the gems and manipulating your bag and discard with the piggies. Most other deckbuilders, you can program your next 10 turns based on a ranking of the cards and probably do pretty well. Dominion has a little bit of this problem but the massive amount of variance in card setup makes most kingdoms still pretty interesting.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I don't like fixed market drafting because you can just play your set strategy out and there is less decision making and adjusting to the flow of the game. I like the mix of skill + RNG that row drafting has.

Also you guys didn't dissuade me enough from Marvel Dice Heroes, I ended up getting a starter set and a few boosters and it's a lot of fun. Damnit.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'm unironically sorry for your loss.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't like fixed market drafting because you can just play your set strategy out and there is less decision making and adjusting to the flow of the game. I like the mix of skill + RNG that row drafting has.

Also you guys didn't dissuade me enough from Marvel Dice Heroes, I ended up getting a starter set and a few boosters and it's a lot of fun. Damnit.

Hey man, that's cool. Having fun is what's important. Maybe marvel legendary would make a nice fit in your collection.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Here we have it, confirmed proof that board games are art.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Bottom Liner posted:

Sounds like you really want Eminent Domain, because playing the Droid implementation of Star Realms make me think that the "decision making and adjusting to the flow" is really "false decisions and the loving hand of the RNG".

Speaking of deckbuilders that do things different from Dominion, how is Mythotopia? Did he fix all the issues with A Few Acres of Snow?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

I refer to market row deckbuilders as "parade-style" every now and again, but the proper name is "lovely." It comes as no surprise that no deckbuilder I consider good has a market parade.

Which ones do you consider good, incidentally? Other than Dominion, I mean

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Fungah! posted:

Which ones do you consider good, incidentally? Other than Dominion, I mean

Comprehensive list of good deckbuilders:
1. Dominion
2. Eminent Domain + Escalation (expac required)
3. Puzzle Strike Third Edition

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Comprehensive list of good deckbuilders:
1. Dominion
2. Eminent Domain + Escalation (expac required)
3. Puzzle Strike Third Edition

haha, OK. just making sure I wasn't missing any

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Every day I'm more thankful i was able to get puzzle strike + the upgrade pack off of a Good Goon last year.