Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So much good stuff on iOS right now. Final Fantasy Record Keeper is fantastic, the option to autobattle trivial content is really convenient and the game has just as much depth as most of the Final Fantasy titles on boss fights too. Pocket Mine 2 scratches an itch I didn't know I had, blowing stuff up and watching the power of my cards grow as I upgrade them is freaking awesome. Add Hearthstone on my phone and my coffee breaks should be spoken for the rest of the year.

Now I just need to eBay all the cards from that stupid Star Wars Trading Card non-game thingy to fuel iTunes credit for the aformentioned games. Vintage Han Solo is selling for $250+, friggin insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

RhoA posted:

Really enjoying the game, great work! Love the music as well.

Thanks!

unlurked posted:

The game looks fun! Too bad I'm terrible at anything requiring twitch reflexes. Or just reflexes :v:. I immediately had to load https://soundcloud.com/com-truise after watching the trailer so extra 10 points.

Bold move on offering a paid version. We are in a similar conundrum about what to do with iPad pricing this time around and we will probably price match it with the PC version. Same game, same price. Definitely launching in Steam has completely changed our perspective.

Yeah we have a PC version as well that's going to always be the same price as the paid version of the mobile game. It's currently being shat all over on Greenlight because mobile games aren't allowed on PC but don't tell that to Terry Cavanagh http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=425021966

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah I agree there is a plethora of good games on iOs right now, enjoying the stick game right now, and more good'ns on the near horizon (e.g. heroes and castles 2 :kheldragar:)

Hearthstone on iPhone 5 is just not worth it for me, it runs slowly and the small screen is a pain. It's probably better on the 6 or 6+. I'll view this as a blessing in disguise, though, so that my Hearthstone playing is limited to when I am home...after work. Unlike PaD or CoC which I am constantly distracted by.

In other new-game news, I haven't seen anyone talk about Implosion (http://appshopper.com/games/implosion-never-lose-hope), anyone here try it yet? The toucharcade forums seem to be enjoying it.

Also Drylands came out last night (http://appshopper.com/games/drylands), the only impression I've seen thus far is it doesn't seem to be working on iphone 6 at the moment.

Edit - also, a thing happened - http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jul/08/torn-tendon-texting-thumb/

Xenochrist fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 15, 2015

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

Realizing that the grind Blizzard expects you to put in to play for free is worse than a lot of appstore f2p games got me off of it really quick. I'm sitting on two dozen unopened packs and like 12000 dust and I have no inkling whatsoever to get back into it. That game is aggressively priced.

I don't know how many other F2P games you play, but the major difference (to me) is that hitting a paywall in Hearthstone is nearly impossible unless you listen to the loving grognards that think you need specific legendaries to make their stupid decks work and follow the rather idiotic competitive metagame scene.

It's a fun game for casual people that some nerds take too far and turn into a competitive sea of nonsense and spreadsheets. Ignore them, they don't matter in the game or in life. I played a Paladin weenie deck for a long time that got plenty of expensive decks to ragequit because mine was stupid cheap and according to reddit was impossible to win with. I don't need to be world ranked #1, I just want to have some fun and maybe win a game or two. Way easier to do that for free with Hearthstone than drat near every other game that has a point where it punishes you or stops you completely from playing further if you don't sink $100+ into it.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Attention all roguelike game enjoyers. Go get Crowntakers. It even has a light mode where if you die you don't loose your levels. And (I know this will come as a shock) even the normally critical website TouchArcade has given it 4.5 out of 5 stars (I think it could have easily rated 4.75, or even 4.825). $4.99.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Yeah there's no pay WALL which is nice. And the game is legit fun and has tons of depth which is more than anyone can say about the rest of the f2p garbage posted about in here. I guess I'm just saying that hearthstone has a little mud on it in the cesspool of f2p.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Zigmidge posted:

Yeah there's no pay WALL which is nice. And the game is legit fun and has tons of depth which is more than anyone can say about the rest of the f2p garbage posted about in here. I guess I'm just saying that hearthstone has a little mud on it in the cesspool of f2p.

no bro i promise soccer spirits is so deep you don't even know

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

Thanks!

Yeah we have a PC version as well that's going to always be the same price as the paid version of the mobile game. It's currently being shat all over on Greenlight because mobile games aren't allowed on PC but don't tell that to Terry Cavanagh http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=425021966

PC gamers are weird.

I have an idea for a PC/Mac game and I swear I'm gonna lock the screen resolution to 640x480 just to piss PC gamers off.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bogart posted:

no bro i promise soccer spirits is so deep you don't even know

Don't you bad talk my anime titty games!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Doc Block posted:

PC gamers are weird.

I have an idea for a PC/Mac game and I swear I'm gonna lock the screen resolution to 640x480 just to piss PC gamers off.

Valve can't kill Greenlight fast enough.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Here is a short little beginner's guide for hearthstone.

-Reroll all 40 gold daily missions. You can get 60 gold, 100 gold, and free pack daily missions.

-There are many one time quest like get all heroes to level 10, beat all basic ai, beat all elite ai. They all give 100 gold or more.

-There are quite a few budget deck that can get you decent wins. They are "mech Mage", "face Hunter", "zoo", and "patron warrior". You should focus on mech Mage first, every class can do Aggro mech but mage does it best. face Hunter is the strongest of the budget decks. Parton warrior is the most fun but requires you to buy the first wing of black rock mountain.

-If you are going to spend $$$. Do it on the adventures. They are designed to be have better bang for you buck compare to packs. Naxxramas has more important cards than black rock mountain. A full adventure cost $25 USD, but they are guaranteed high quality cards.

-Arena is the best way to gain cards without spending cash. Arena also doesn't take your collection into account, it is all about skill and luck. If you get 3 wins you break even or better. If you get 7 wins you can buy another arena plus a pack and other rewards. Go to the goon thread and get advice/stream and have goons help you out.

-If you aren't going to spend cash, keep in mind you will need some naxxramas and black rock mountain. Each wing cost 700 gold. You can get that in about a week and half. You need up to sludge belcher in naxxramas. And you just need the first wing of black rock.

-GvG packs have higher quality on average common and rare cards. While classic packs have higher quality on average epics and legendarys. I would recommend focusing on GvG until you have all the good commons and rares, which only take two months or so. Than focus on classic packs. Currently arena only gives GvG packs.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 15, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shwqa posted:

-Arena is the best way to gain cards without spending cash. Arena also doesn't take your collection into account, it is all skill and luck.

Arena is all luck. Luck of what you end up putting together vs the luck of the son of a bitch mage with 7 fireballs.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Shwqa posted:

Here is a short little beginner's guide for hearthstone.

-Reroll all 40 gold daily missions. You can get 60 gold, 100 gold, and free pack daily missions.

-There are many one time quest like get all heroes to level 10, beat all basic ai, beat all elite ai. They all give 100 gold or more.

- there are quite a few budget deck that can get you decent wins. They are "mech Mage", "face Hunter", "zoo", and "patron warrior". You should focus on mech Mage first, every class can do Aggro mech but mage does it best.

-If you are going to spend $$$. Do it on the adventure. They are designed to be have better bang for you buck compare to packs. Naxxramas has more important cards than black rock mountain. A full adventure cost $25 USD.

-Arena is the best way to gain cards without spending cash. Arena also doesn't take your collection into account, it is all skill and luck. If you get 3 wins you break even or better. If you get 7 wins you can buy another arena plus a pack and other rewards. Go to the goon thread and get advice/stream and have goons help you out.

-If you aren't going to spend cash, keep in mind you will need some naxxramas and black rock mountain. Each wing cost 700 gold. You can get that in about a week and half. You need up to sludge belcher in naxxramas. And you just need the first wing of black rock.

Seems like you shouldn't push for Patron Warrior right off the bat, as that requires a $25 (or 700G) buy in. Mech Mage would also split your gold between the Classic and Goblins and Gnomes packs, although I guess you'd be getting those anyways from Arena.

But yeah, Hearthstone is a F2P game that doesn't have timers limiting your play or asking for money to speed up card building or poo poo like that. It's good fun.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Arena is all luck. Luck of what you end up putting together vs the luck of the son of a bitch mage with 7 fireballs.

The best players do have around 7-8 win averages confirmed by blizzard. So skill does play at big part, but seriously gently caress those 5 AOE and fireball mage. Though mages got a slight arena nerf with black rock.

GigaPeon posted:

Seems like you shouldn't push for Patron Warrior right off the bat, as that requires a $25 (or 700G) buy in. Mech Mage would also split your gold between the Classic and Goblins and Gnomes packs, although I guess you'd be getting those anyways from Arena.

But yeah, Hearthstone is a F2P game that doesn't have timers limiting your play or asking for money to speed up card building or poo poo like that. It's good fun.

Meh 700 gold sucks but it is still pretty budget to me. A week and half of gold collecting and 4 rares you got a decent grim patron decks. Though no naxxramas cards does hurt.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
With all the newbie quests and dailies you can buy Naxx/BRM pretty quickly.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Yodzilla posted:

Thanks!

gently caress those PC grognards. I gave you a vote because I liked your last game and hopefully to ruffle someone's feathers. Bonus!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
CivCrafteris a great time waster with such a loving fatal flaw. You have to have the app open to accrue poo poo.

It makes poo poo like 20k piety for an upgrade take ages.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bottom Liner posted:

With all the newbie quests and dailies you can buy Naxx/BRM pretty quickly.
If you do every daily quest and play enough to get 30 wins a day you can. If you're just playing casually it's a real grind.

Meep
Oct 7, 2000

Ghostlight posted:

If you do every daily quest and play enough to get 30 wins a day you can. If you're just playing casually it's a real grind.
Yeah trying to grind out the gold for Naxx as a new player is pretty much the best way to just burn yourself out on the game. For any casual player it's going to take months of never being able to buy a pack or play an arena to get the whole thing. It can't be emphasized enough that if you're going to spend any money on the game at all paying the $25 for Naxx is by far the best investment. You would much rather be using that gold for fun stuff like arena runs and opening packs.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I wonder when Blizzard are going to hit a place where the barrier to entry for Hearthstone is too high for the new player. Two solo adventures and two sets of cards isn't so bad right now, but down the road when there are ten solo adventures at $25 apiece it'd be pretty unrealistic to expect new players to shell out that kind of cash.

Fortunately I had a bunch of Battle.net cash I couldn't do anything with leftover from selling crap on the Diablo 3 RMAH. I wouldn't have spent a fraction as much real world money on it.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I'm curious if they'll eventually transition the game to formats like Magic the Gathering, where "standard" is the core set and the previous two expansions and card set releases. I saw some "leaked" roadmap thing that showed quarterly releases of two single player adventures and two card set releases every year... So it's rapidly going to spiral out of control. What makes digital CCG's weird though is there's no supply chain or retail space to worry about. Magic sort of has to make standard its big format because they can't continually print cards from every set and expecting people playing the "main" format to buy poo poo on secondary markets is crazy. In Hearthstone though, they're just flipping bits in a database, so they realistically could just sell Goblins vs Gnomes packs for eternity.

It's definitely a problem they're going to have to solve at some point, and I can't wait to see how they do it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
considering they have about a trillion playing already I don't think they give much a gently caress.

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

porktree posted:

Attention all roguelike game enjoyers. Go get Crowntakers. It even has a light mode where if you die you don't loose your levels. And (I know this will come as a shock) even the normally critical website TouchArcade has given it 4.5 out of 5 stars (I think it could have easily rated 4.75, or even 4.825). $4.99.

Excellent taste, good sir goon, I give my hearty endorsement for this game. Funnest roguelike on the ios after Dream quest.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

BGrifter posted:

I wonder when Blizzard are going to hit a place where the barrier to entry for Hearthstone is too high for the new player. Two solo adventures and two sets of cards isn't so bad right now, but down the road when there are ten solo adventures at $25 apiece it'd be pretty unrealistic to expect new players to shell out that kind of cash.

If it's done like with WoW, I assume that somewhere around the 1yr mark for Naxx they'll dump the thing down to half price, maybe make two wings free and two wings full price or something. Ten expansions later, I would fully expect the first 5 to be a discounted bulk package of $25 for the whole thing like they've done with the Battle Chest versions of the rest of their games. Maybe $10 for the first few, who knows. Blizzard doesn't leave their stuff at full price forever, they know the value of discounting things to catch up new players.

I don't think I've ever read any plans for card packs rotating or changing though, so it's kinda safe to assume those will stay full price and the same forever. Maybe at some point they'll offer a mega-pack that has 2 of each card from the base set minus legendaries. It's less of an issue I guess since you can always just craft the cards you want if we're 3 years into this thing and you start out and you really want something from the first couple of sets but can't decide which packs to chase. Then again the dust part maybe makes it where that's impossible since you could buy a bulk pack of packs and just dust it all to get the new hotness for less money.

Actually I vote blizzard doesn't give a gently caress, as they don't have to since I bet Hearthstone is already making more money in a year's time than WoW did over the course of its existence in terms of pure profit at least. (no chat is the best idea ever, no need for customer service or GM's when people can't talk!)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Yodzilla posted:

Thanks!

Steam Greenlight is so dumb.
Space Age dude can't get his game onto Steam because they only accept titles that have a PC port. Pretty racist of them.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

So the Aerith event seems unusually charitable after the difficulty there was in getting Sephiroth a few weeks back.

If the Japanese release is anything to go by how long is it likely to be before they add more realms to the game?

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I played Hearthstone for a bit before these adventure sets came out. I enjoyed it well enough, but it seemed like the kinds of decks being played would get fossilized pretty quickly.

Is it worth dipping my toe back in to check the new stuff out? Are there lots of different decks at play out there, or is it just kind of a mad rush to get the killer cards to fill-out a well-tested template?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I played Hearthstone for a bit before these adventure sets came out. I enjoyed it well enough, but it seemed like the kinds of decks being played would get fossilized pretty quickly.

Is it worth dipping my toe back in to check the new stuff out? Are there lots of different decks at play out there, or is it just kind of a mad rush to get the killer cards to fill-out a well-tested template?

The meta game is wide and deep with a lot of variety. You can also do arena and be on an even level with other players.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I was getting 5-6 wins pretty consistently when I played with the occasional longer streak, and if skill didn't matter I'd expect to average 2 wins. (It was enough for a tidy profit when combined with dailies.)

Passion for Dilbert
Dec 5, 2007

This is possibly a really dumb question but is it worth trying Hearthstone if I've never touched World of Warcraft or played a Warcraft game? I enjoy other card games like Magic and so on.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Passion for Dilbert posted:

This is possibly a really dumb question but is it worth trying Hearthstone if I've never touched World of Warcraft or played a Warcraft game? I enjoy other card games like Magic and so on.

It is 100% l like Magic, and 5% "I know that character". It's a really good card game.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Yes. There are obviously tie ins (Skills names and functions, classes are represented by certain characters in lore), but the game itself requires no knowledge of canon/story in order to play.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I have lots of fun with Hearthstone and my knowledge and experience of WoW extend as far as 'I saw that Leeroy Jenkins video one time'. I've never even really played any other collectible card games or whatever before. Try it!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Anybody try spell crafter yet? The screenshots make it look like kings bounty

[e] don't buy dry lands yet it has game breaking bugs. When I load in a game the only buttons that work are left and right

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Absolutely. I love "real" CCGs and Hearthstone is the single only digital one worth playing imo... it's real solid

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Unless you are the kind of nerd that thinks there's a competitive environment within a game that doesn't actually have a competitive structure, there is no well-tested template for anything. 75% of the people playing are making decks with whatever they have. Every few games you get an Uber-Nerd who has an amazingly expensive deck made with the most broken combos and you lose in a few turns, laugh about it and move on.

If you want to be the kind of person who gets that legendary ranking every month for the super awesome(lypointless) card back, you can do that too, but there's a vast chasm of giveashit between the two play styles.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Telex posted:

Unless you are the kind of nerd that thinks there's a competitive environment within a game that doesn't actually have a competitive structure, there is no well-tested template for anything. 75% of the people playing are making decks with whatever they have. Every few games you get an Uber-Nerd who has an amazingly expensive deck made with the most broken combos and you lose in a few turns, laugh about it and move on.

This is so vastly wrong it's staggering.

The most expensive decks (handlock, ramp druid, control warrior) don't even have combos and are late game control decks. The cheap decks are the fast aggros that can kill you quickly with good draws if you have no answer. In ranked play mode, you start at rank 25 and work up to 1, but as early as rank 20 you'll start seeing the same archetypes constantly (mech mage, zoolock, face hunter, Patron warrior, ramp druid, control priest, oil rogue, etc). 90% of players are playing netdecks and not "whatever they have". Luckily, there is still a big variety of popular decks so you won't get bored quickly. You can also take a cheap aggro deck all the way to legendary rank, so it's very friendly to new players with skill.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 16, 2015

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
You can't take anything to legendary without hours and hours and hours of grinding. What I said earlier isn't wrong. Hearthstone is setup like poker where you will only see progress after churning out a fraction over 50% winrate.

Hearthstone is much more fun in casual mode and sealed tournament where you can just play and not worry about any of that poo poo.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

This is so vastly wrong it's staggering.

The most expensive decks (handlock, ramp druid, control warrior) don't even have combos and are late game control decks. The cheap decks are the fast aggros that can kill you quickly with good draws if you have no answer. In ranked play mode, you start at rank 25 and work up to 1, but as early as rank 20 you'll start seeing the same archetypes constantly (mech mage, zoolock, face hunter, Patron warrior, ramp druid, control priest, oil rogue, etc). 90% of players are playing netdecks and not "whatever they have". Luckily, there is still a big variety of popular decks so you won't get bored quickly. You can also take a cheap aggro deck all the way to legendary rank, so it's very friendly to new players with skill.

You're not wholeheartedly incorrect, but you're factually wrong.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/15955974/hearthside-chat-youre-better-than-you-think-9-18-2014

There's a tiny (compared to the base) amount of people giving a poo poo about being competitive and 75%+ that are not. You can hit rank 15 not giving a poo poo, just by being not bad at the game. I've done it on a regular basis. Then you really start running into the real money tryhards and it's not as much fun any more but since the game's free you can take a break until the next month or go play some arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Telex posted:

You're not wholeheartedly incorrect, but you're factually wrong.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/15955974/hearthside-chat-youre-better-than-you-think-9-18-2014

There's a tiny (compared to the base) amount of people giving a poo poo about being competitive and 75%+ that are not. You can hit rank 15 not giving a poo poo, just by being not bad at the game. I've done it on a regular basis. Then you really start running into the real money tryhards and it's not as much fun any more but since the game's free you can take a break until the next month or go play some arena.

Yeah, I meant 90% of the players at those ranks below 20 or so, not total players in the game. You very rarely see anything different or original.