Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Lovechop posted:

i'd kill to see flame poo poo on everyone in na though, just imagine what him or spirit would do to the entire league by themselves

Flame or Spirit would dominate NA. You could put Spirit on Dignitas and they'd start winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Jerkface posted:

They just have to get enough points to join the play in. Lets assume that TSM wins summer, C9 is 2nd. TSM goes automatically, C9 wins most points. From that point on we have the 6th most points vs 5th most points, winner vs 4th most points, winner vs 3rd most points.
6 spots get points, if we assume that 5 teams keep their spots (TSM, C9, TIP, TL, 1 of GV/CLG), all WFX needs to do is place 6th in summer split, displacing the one of CLG/GV and they automatically get more points than those teams and would be in the play in!

This can get a little dicey depending on if some new team comes out of no where to win summer, but basically any team that has 0 points now needs to only displace one of the other teams from the playoffs and they can get enough points to join the play in.

Only fourth place and up gets points, IIRC. So they need to knock out one of the Forever Four to make worlds.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Nope top six
http://na.lolesports.com/articles/championship-points-unlocked-and-more-2015-lcs-changes

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Transient People posted:

Only fourth place and up gets points, IIRC. So they need to knock out one of the Forever Four to make worlds.

Naw you get points for 5th and 6th. CLG & GV both have 10 points right now. You get 20 points for placing 5th/6th in summer, so displacing 1 of those teams means another team could snag a playin spot.

pre:
Place
Spring Split
Summer Split

1st
AQ

2nd

3rd

4th

5th-6th

7th-10th

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 15, 2015

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm trying to imagine Flame playing nothing but Lulu for 10 straight competitive games and having a hard time deciding if he gets really loving mad about TSM starving him of resources, or somehow stomps everyone in NA on a utility Lulu build.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
The funny thing is that, even though Flame was legitimately the best toplaner in the world for at least a year, I have no idea if he is anywhere near that level now.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Flameingblack posted:

I'm trying to imagine Flame playing nothing but Lulu for 10 straight competitive games and having a hard time deciding if he gets really loving mad about TSM starving him of resources, or somehow stomps everyone in NA on a utility Lulu build.

Dyrus himself has done it before. Flame totally could do it.

Jerkface posted:

Naw you get points for 5th and 6th. CLG & GV both have 10 points right now. You get 20 points for placing 5th/6th in summer, so displacing 1 of those teams means another team could snag a playin spot.

pre:
Place

Spring Split
Summer Split

1st

AQ

2nd

3rd

4th

5th-6th

7th-10th

Whoops, right you are. So to qualify for the seed championship, you just need to be among the six best teams of the LCS. That's a lot easier than I thought it would be, though admittedly there's a grueling road to the third seed after qualifying.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Flameingblack posted:

It's a gimmick specifically for tanky toplaners who already have a decent engage/disengage without needs flash IE: Shyvana, Udyr and Shen, who benefit a whole lot from Cinderhulk in this meta and are strong duelists/counter junglers on their own, which makes them very strong in the current metagame as a dual jungler.

Shen needs flash to have a hope of landing his taunt on the right people in teamfights (you could take it in place of TP/ignite though) and I don't think anyone plays top Udyr at all anymore (Udyr also needs flash or ghost or else he gets kited constantly). Hell, I think Monte was correct that playing Shen right now doesn't make sense at all.

Shyvana and Hecarim are the two that make the most sense.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 15, 2015

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerkface posted:

pre:
Place

Spring Split
Summer Split

1st

AQ

2nd

3rd

4th

5th-6th

7th-10th

way too much whitepsace man, bring it back a lil' thanks

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Firebert posted:

Shen needs flash to have a hope of landing his taunt on the right people in teamfights and I don't think anyone plays top Udyr at all anymore (Udyr also needs flash or ghost or else he gets kited constantly). Shyvana and Hecarim are the two that make the most sense.
Shen and Udyr both have been used a bit in challenger solo queue, so I'm basing it off that and not how great it is competitively. Shy and Hecarim are probably the only two who would be running it in a competitive game.

I ended up playing Cinderhulk Shen top and eventually got so tanky the ADC was killing themselves on me and I was unkillable.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

Shen and Udyr both have been used a bit in challenger solo queue, so I'm basing it off that and not how great it is competitively. Shy and Hecarim are probably the only two who would be running it in a competitive game.

I ended up playing Cinderhulk Shen top and eventually got so tanky the ADC was killing themselves on me and I was unkillable.

As a sidenote, since Shen has Q/W remakes or buffs incoming, I expect to see him become an unholy toplane or jungle terror soonish. Cannot wait for it to happen because he's one of the best loving champions in the game. :getin:

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Disinterested posted:

Lust didn't like Blaze that much and Flame has a reputation for being domineering and demanding resources. I think it's a bad match tbh unless TSM really wants to become a topside oriented team, and right now the meta is botsided.

Flame should go to a team where he is the focal point and superstar or where the team has a good mid and jungler but average botlane.

I think it's more that THEIR meta is bot side not the meta in general (which is pushing more towards carry tops and utility adc's because of Cinderhulk). It's just that TSM push so hard with their bot focused team that it becomes a bit insane to think about a carry top on them (and dyrus' showings on carry top laners are... spotty this season).

I'm surprised that Riot hasn't done anything about Rumble, thinking about carry toplaners. The guy is basically either picked or banned.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

'Utility ADCs' is like the farthest thing from the truth ever, c'mon Calax. There's nothing utility about Jinx and Lucian who are once again all the rage, they're there to melt motherfuckers because nobody else kills tanks faster. Same for Urgot, really.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Calax posted:

I think it's more that THEIR meta is bot side not the meta in general (which is pushing more towards carry tops and utility adc's because of Cinderhulk). It's just that TSM push so hard with their bot focused team that it becomes a bit insane to think about a carry top on them (and dyrus' showings on carry top laners are... spotty this season).

I'm surprised that Riot hasn't done anything about Rumble, thinking about carry toplaners. The guy is basically either picked or banned.

No the game is not top centric at all right now in professional play, it's basically suboptimal to play a carry top style. Winning teams are almost all teams with a supportive top or a top who can play that style at least. Flame wants to freeze for 30 minutes and farm to win, not group for objectives early and take tp.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I'd qualify Jinx as a utility ADC because she has on-demand CC. That said, she has everything else too, so it doesn't really define her kit the way the same kind of skills define Varus and Ashe.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Hecarim says Hi from carrying teams around from the toplane...

Also my "utility ADC" comment comes mostly from this where turtle mentions that things are so tanky now that he can't blow somebody up that fast he has to basically sit back and hang out on a utility unless the p/b's are designed to funnel everything into the bottom.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Did liquid and tip ever play out to determine who was fourth?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

Did liquid and tip ever play out to determine who was fourth?

The fourth place games are Saturday, Finals are sunday.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to know if the prophecy had been finalised with tsm in 1st and c9 2nd and curse/liquid in fourth

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Mic Check from the semi's. Includes XiaoWeiXiao singing, and TiP chanting TSM TSM TSM!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

Just wanted to know if the prophecy had been finalised with tsm in 1st and c9 2nd and curse/liquid in fourth

Yeah we're pretty close to having the exact same finishers as last time.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Transient People posted:

As a sidenote, since Shen has Q/W remakes or buffs incoming, I expect to see him become an unholy toplane or jungle terror soonish. Cannot wait for it to happen because he's one of the best loving champions in the game. :getin:

I expect him to be terrible and in severe need of buffs like Veigar and Zilean post rework.

Riot has shown themselves to be VERY risk averse with their reworks. Q is probably a skill shot now but has +100 range.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Cinder hulk needs to be fwiggin destroyed and will be on the patch after the finals but before MSI in all likely hood haha.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Hypocrisy posted:

I expect him to be terrible and in severe need of buffs like Veigar and Zilean post rework.

Riot has shown themselves to be VERY risk averse with their reworks. Q is probably a skill shot now but has +100 range.

Yo, real talk, I'd take that instantly if it came with a damage increase for vorpal blade. Shen's pretty much fine already, his damage is just so amazingly lovely that you get brutally punished if you don't get a three or four man taunt to replenish all your bar instantly. Just giving him a bit more but more unreliable damage would be enough.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Shen's trading in lane against some champions, however, is really good and Shen can actually all-in some people early game quite well.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Disinterested posted:

Shen's trading in lane against some champions, however, is really good and Shen can actually all-in some people early game quite well.

Yeah, that's part of why Shen needs some tweaking. He's hard to straight buff as he is right now because the combo of not-actually-bad level 1-3 damage on a Q that can't miss, plus a heal, plus a shield, plus Ki Strike is a really overloaded thing for the early levels. Later on though, 195 (or was it 160?) damage from 450 range barely even tickles.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Shen would get lane swapped on so fast and hard you'd think he was Avalon

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I don't think Shen would be that bad in the laneswap all things considered.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Any Shen rework seems like a nightmare to do. Like TF, Riot needs to keep the rest of his kit lovely because of how powerful his ult is. And on top of that, they've said that they want to change him away from being a tank to a role that better suits his character design, which I'm guessing would be closer to a fighter like Yasuo than his current incarnation.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Firebert posted:

Any Shen rework seems like a nightmare to do. Like TF, Riot needs to keep the rest of his kit lovely because of how powerful his ult is. And on top of that, they've said that they want to change him away from being a tank to a role that better suits his character design, which I'm guessing would be closer to a fighter like Yasuo than his current incarnation.

You're gonna have to source that quote, because the last thing I've seen about Shen is 'he's something you don't expect (tank ninja) but it makes a lot of sense, and we want to tweak him to make him more interesting to play with and against while keeping the highs of his kit (money dashes and teles)', coming from Riot Scruffy.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Transient People posted:

You're gonna have to source that quote, because the last thing I've seen about Shen is 'he's something you don't expect (tank ninja) but it makes a lot of sense, and we want to tweak him to make him more interesting to play with and against while keeping the highs of his kit (money dashes and teles)', coming from Riot Scruffy.

Meddler said that "There's definitely some mismatch between his theme and his gameplay. Mechanically he's a health stacking tank who gradually grinds you down, bit of a contrast to his image as a 'traditional' looking ninja and the expectations of speed, damage, stealth, assassination etc that go with it. We'd aim to avoid such a mismatch if making him today" but then said that "he's got an established playstyle and players though so it's not necessarily appropriate to try and change that at this point". I don't buy that second part at all, just look at what they did with the Sion rework.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Jesus christ Riv is even worse than usual on this PTL. "Hey supports are only meant to last hit", what the gently caress are you even talking about.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Riv is an extremely racist asian caricature of a white man that has been brought to life and given a job as an eSports caster.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

fnox posted:

Jesus christ Riv is even worse than usual on this PTL. "Hey supports are only meant to last hit", what the gently caress are you even talking about.

I think the reason they keep him around is because he's so comfortable on camera and willing to anchor that stuff.

I love the great escape by Balls and C9's reactions.

From Reddit translation of Inven

quote:

Translated from an interview on Inven:
http://www.inven.co.kr/webzine/news/?news=130735&iskin=esports
Inven: There's a lot of talk in the community that Korea got much weaker this year. What do you think?
Deft: Still, the level of LCK is much higher than LPL. We scrim with many Korean teams but our scrim results are not good. From that, I can say LCK is still one level above.
Pawn: Even recently we scrimmed with many Korean teams but we lost them all.
Inven: Right now EDG is ranked 1st in Power Rankings. How do you personally feel?
Deft: We never actually beat any Korean teams so it feels undeserved.
Pawn: I feel like we benefited from WE doing so well at IEM. The truth is we didn't know WE would do that well and recently we tied with them.
Inven: What are the top 3 teams that gives you the most trouble?
Deft: I think VG, SKT T1, GE Tigers. The current VG is not the same VG when we first came here. They improved a lot. I think it's because of Dandy and Mata.
Pawn: I also think those teams are the most burdensome. When I watch SKT T1 and GE Tigers play I feel that they are really good. They are very strong teams.
Inven: Of all the players in the world, who do you consider as a rival?
Pawn: All of the KR mids. I feel that they are better than any other regions.
Deft: Pray. I think his champion selections and movement is very good. He plays very intelligently.

Calax fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 16, 2015

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

fnox posted:

He's making a joke.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Not sure about the Alex Ich sub in, I really hope that he doesnt go to TDK permanently though, I want Misfits to work.

Sexpansion posted:

Also, Roccat chose CWA (low land lions) so Giants will get Reason Gaming.

I think Roccat skewers CWA, but RG has a decent chance of beating Giants. I'll call that one 40/60.

Are you sure about Roccat? I thought LLL/CWA were pretty good aside from being smashed by Origen, but I think Origen is markedly better than Roccat (they actually do things)

Overpow is way worse than Soaz too so Morsu might have a chance to do something and maybe carry.

Also Roccat picked up MYM's coach for some reason?!

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
YamatoCannon seemed like a smart guy whenever they had him on the desk this split, even if he was seemingly born without a sense of humour. I'd be willing to believe it's a positive move for the team. I hope Roccat isn't doesn't think a change in coaches will solve all their problems, though - they could probably do with excising the whole team except Vander and Jankos and rebuilding from the ground up, IMO.

Speaking of coaches on the analyst desk, any particular reason NA didn't do this? I enjoyed hearing what the different coaches had to say about things in EU. Pr0lly, Dentist and Leviathan are just plain good personalities to have around in the land of players who sound like they've never talked to a human being face to face before, not to mention it's good to have someone with actual insight on the desk rather than, say, Quikshot.

Wol fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 16, 2015

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

Riv is an extremely racist asian caricature of a white man that has been brought to life and given a job as an eSports caster.

Nah, Riv is the Joe Buck of LoL casters.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Wol posted:

YamatoCannon seemed like a smart guy whenever they had him on the desk this split, even if he was seemingly born without a sense of humour. I'd be willing to believe it's a positive move for the team. I hope Roccat isn't doesn't think a change in coaches will solve all their problems, though - they could probably do with excising the whole team except Vander and Jankos and rebuilding from the ground up, IMO.

Speaking of coaches on the analyst desk, any particular reason NA didn't do this? I enjoyed hearing what the different coaches had to say about things in EU - particularly Pr0lly, Dentist and Leviathan.

I think its because EU lost all their announcers so they dont have enough people, literally, to analyze on the desk. NA has too many color commentators. Kobe, Jatt, Phreak, Zirene can all do color. Its also probably because NA coaches don't speak any english.

I don't get this YamatoCannon guy being some hot get when he is like 12 years old. I kind of side with the Monte side of coaching where coaches should be old enough to have some kind of life experience based authority over the players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

Firebert posted:

Meddler said that "There's definitely some mismatch between his theme and his gameplay. Mechanically he's a health stacking tank who gradually grinds you down, bit of a contrast to his image as a 'traditional' looking ninja and the expectations of speed, damage, stealth, assassination etc that go with it. We'd aim to avoid such a mismatch if making him today" but then said that "he's got an established playstyle and players though so it's not necessarily appropriate to try and change that at this point". I don't buy that second part at all, just look at what they did with the Sion rework.
not that I disagree with you about whether Shen could use a rework or not, but Sion had an established playstyle but pretty much no players. He was a really rare pick because everything about him was pretty much lovely except for the Ah-nold parody/quotes. His kit had two build paths, neither of which was interesting or really made any sense, and he was never really popular.

They could probably tweak Shen, but I feel like Sion is the definition of a champion that needed a kit and theme rework and the Riot created successful outcome. It seriously felt like they got rid of a lovely beta champion and replaced it with a brand new one.

• Locked thread