Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

quote:

He caught the huge man and held him close, whispering into his ear.

This is the only part I read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Maybe a stupid question but do any LGS's have the ability or desire to say run a retro themed FNM? Would something like that be supported by Wizard or the player community?

I only started playing right when Dragon's Maze was released and I realize I can play those decks now if I wanted since they're modern legal but they lose out to actual real modern decklists.

I just thought of a casual style FNM of an old set/block would be hit with people who had favorite decks back then who can't play them now. ie Maze's End, U/W Control, Wolf Run Ramp, etc etc etc

FNM can be anything you can convince the store to run now.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Think I'm gonna swing more towards Dang's list for Game Day. 2 rabble in the SB and so on. Curious about the Frenzied Goblin though, looks cool. Someone was recommending Break Through the Line instead. But Frenzied gives you an actual creature that can swing and is overall cheaper so that still seems like the better idea, right? Gotta figure out how to stick a heelcutter or two in the sideboard probably. I still love searing blood but don't see a place for it.

Do you ever side out Lightning Strike or just keep that for face burn?

Edit: Presumably Eidolons come in and Foundry Street potentially goes out against the mirror as well, yeah? Plus the Lightning Zerkers for twin bolts/hall of triumph or something similar.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

This is the only part I read

What a tragic story. Surrak hunts for bears but he keeps finding the wrong kind.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What a tragic story. Surrak hunts for bears but he keeps finding the wrong kind.

Yeah I guess he just grins and bears it but man it must be tough barely scraping out a living, what a grisly timeline change, I hope he's not dragging his clan's past when working for the brood.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Felipe Valdivia, the guy who was caught on camera returning a scry land to his hand for no reason at PTDTK, wrote a long Facebook post trying to explain it. Basically boils down to "brain fart, no idea why I did that, if you think about it the play actually hurt more than it helped, etc."

https://www.facebook.com/arturo.belano/posts/10152635771837030

I have no idea whether he intended to do it or not, and basically no one can ever really know in situations like this unless the player admits it. It just goes to show how incredibly difficult proving cheating must be currently, when a situation like this, that was caught on camera at a Pro Tour with a bunch of officials standing around watching it, could be ruled as accidental. Imagine all the poo poo people get away with at the non-featured tables.

Not really sure what the solution would be to reduce cheating at high-level events like this.

Edit: Here's the incident in question. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZorp03qJuU Happens at around 31:00.

qbert fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 15, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

qbert posted:

Not really sure what the solution would be to reduce cheating at high-level events like this.

Magic Online, if it wasn't a POS. The commentators even get to see all the cards easily!

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Yeah there's no way that's accidental

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Starving Autist posted:

Lol if you were expecting quality writing from the MTG creative fluff pieces.
I must be missing something. The writing seemed adequate.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Wezlar posted:

Yeah there's no way that's accidental

You'd be amazed at the incredibly retarded poo poo players do that really does end up being by accident, its no excuse and the penalty should still be applied in the interest of tournament integrity, but I don't immediately assume players are intentionally cheating.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ciprian Maricon posted:

You'd be amazed at the incredibly retarded poo poo players do that really does end up being by accident, its no excuse and the penalty should still be applied in the interest of tournament integrity, but I don't immediately assume players are intentionally cheating.

A judge at SCG Baltimore walked past while I had 2 cliques on the battlefield swinging at my opponent. Neither myself or my opponent noticed anything, the judge went "why are they there?" nothing else. I was confused, looked at him, looked at the board state, then it clicked. I got a GRV, I explained to him what I did. Thankfully the game hadn't proceeded to a point where we couldn't fix the situation. I just forgot about the legendary thing. I had just gotten the Cliques and it just never really crossed my mind.

So yeah, people can do dumb poo poo. That said, I don't know isn't a great explanation either. That is the poo poo toddlers say when you go "why is your hand in the cookie jar!" "I dunno."

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

jassi007 posted:

A judge at SCG Baltimore walked past while I had 2 cliques on the battlefield swinging at my opponent. Neither myself or my opponent noticed anything, the judge went "why are they there?" nothing else. I was confused, looked at him, looked at the board state, then it clicked. I got a GRV, I explained to him what I did. Thankfully the game hadn't proceeded to a point where we couldn't fix the situation. I just forgot about the legendary thing. I had just gotten the Cliques and it just never really crossed my mind.

Hahaha, we've all been there man. At the Legacy GPDC one of the losses that put me out of day 2 came from resolving a Burning Wish and realizing there were 19 cards in my sideboard.... Woops! Called the Judge ate my game, and match loss. Earlier in the tournament an opponent who was soundly beating me resolved a Life from the Loam and put three lands on the table, neither of us even noticed until a turn later and he lost the game and match.

If you've honestly never made an error that could be considered cheating in complete earnestness then either you've barely played any competitive Magic or you have an incredibly selective memory about your matches.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

jassi007 posted:

So yeah, people can do dumb poo poo. That said, I don't know isn't a great explanation either. That is the poo poo toddlers say when you go "why is your hand in the cookie jar!" "I dunno."

Cheating is 100% about intent. It's pretty much "Commit an infraction knowingly and willingly, in order to gain an advantage". I'd write more but I'm kind of busy, but I'm sure Ciprian knows much more than me on the topic, if they want to take this one.

EDIT: And apparently they already did. But yeah, every infraction is "potentially" cheating. There's a good chance your Judge mentioned to other Judges that "so and so forgot the legend rule for his/her cliques, just so you know", even if he thought it was just a mistake. If you were seen 'forgetting' the legend rule again and again, that starts getting suspicious. Same if you're a known/notorious cheater.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 15, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Chill la Chill posted:

Magic Online, if it wasn't a POS. The commentators even get to see all the cards easily!

I find it a lot more fun to watch a game where I only know what's in one guy's hand but not the other (meaning, the way you see it when you watch a person playing in real life).

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Serperoth posted:

Cheating is 100% about intent. It's pretty much "Commit an infraction knowingly and willingly, in order to gain an advantage". I'd write more but I'm kind of busy, but I'm sure Ciprian knows much more than me on the topic, if they want to take this one.

EDIT: And apparently they already did. But yeah, every infraction is "potentially" cheating. There's a good chance your Judge mentioned to other Judges that "so and so forgot the legend rule for his/her cliques, just so you know", even if he thought it was just a mistake. If you were seen 'forgetting' the legend rule again and again, that starts getting suspicious. Same if you're a known/notorious cheater.

Yeah I'm sure I got some judge chatter. I was not fit for playing magic that day. After that round, round 2 I'm shuffling my opponents deck, I mash, then hand over hand. of course I miss a hand over hand (I am not a dexterous person) and of course a card is revealed. and of course it is a splinter twin. I got 2 GRV's in 2 rounds.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

jassi007 posted:

Today I learned the Vendillion Clique is legendary.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

jassi007 posted:

Yeah I'm sure I got some judge chatter. I was not fit for playing magic that day. After that round, round 2 I'm shuffling my opponents deck, I mash, then hand over hand. of course I miss a hand over hand (I am not a dexterous person) and of course a card is revealed. and of course it is a splinter twin. I got 2 GRV's in 2 rounds.

I've never judged a big event like that, but I'd say that two GRVs in as many rounds would get you at least a more specific "watch out for them" mention, especially if it was early in the day. Last round before Top 8, people are tired, missing a shuffle would be more lenient I feel, but still.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Serperoth posted:

I've never judged a big event like that, but I'd say that two GRVs in as many rounds would get you at least a more specific "watch out for them" mention, especially if it was early in the day. Last round before Top 8, people are tired, missing a shuffle would be more lenient I feel, but still.

Last time (and second time ever) I played at Comp REL I had to call a judge on myself for looking at extra cards twice because of my shameful drawing skills

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

Today I learned the Vendillion Clique is legendary.

Legendary Creatures with ambiguous sounding names are the worst. Hell, Yuuya Watanabe had to learn the hard way that Radiant, Archangel was a Legendary at the freaking World Championships.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I cut someone's deck after they scryed with Magma Jet once.

That was awkward.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Count Bleck posted:

That was awkward.

lol, how'd that turn out?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

That was awkward.

For some reason this reminded me of the story where Tomoharu Saito was about to lose a game, so for no reason whatsoever he moves a couple of the cards in his library around and then offers his deck to his opponent to cut. The confused opponent cuts the deck and then Saito immediately calls a judge to try and get a game loss for illegal game action.

Saito got DQ'd and then banned for that one.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Also wanted to mention that Patrick Chapin wrote a long article on SCG's Premium side about his own particular controversy at the Pro Tour.

I don't want to just copy/paste a wall of text, but the gist of the article was that he spent thousands of words arguing that he should not have gotten a game loss off of that Ajani play, citing a bunch of rules minutiae and arguing the interpretation in his favor. He just really, really thinks he should have been given a pass on that one.

On the plus side, he did acknowledge the 2 lands play earlier in the game, called it an accident, and proposed that people should carefully watch his play in the future and make their own decisions about whether a pattern of potential cheating emerges. Which I think was a classy way of addressing that issue.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

Legendary Creatures with ambiguous sounding names are the worst. Hell, Yuuya Watanabe had to learn the hard way that Radiant, Archangel was a Legendary at the freaking World Championships.

It doesn't help that Mistbind Clique is not legendary, yet Vendilion is.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

jassi007 posted:

lol, how'd that turn out?

The judge had my opponent find the top two cards he had, and do the scry again.

It was a basic store hosted tournament but still. Don't play magic on 3 hours of sleep.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

qbert posted:

Also wanted to mention that Patrick Chapin wrote a long article on SCG's Premium side about his own particular controversy at the Pro Tour.

I don't want to just copy/paste a wall of text, but the gist of the article was that he spent thousands of words arguing that he should not have gotten a game loss off of that Ajani play, citing a bunch of rules minutiae and arguing the interpretation in his favor. He just really, really thinks he should have been given a pass on that one.

On the plus side, he did acknowledge the 2 lands play earlier in the game, called it an accident, and proposed that people should carefully watch his play in the future and make their own decisions about whether a pattern of potential cheating emerges. Which I think was a classy way of addressing that issue.

i think all his rationale is bullshit and while he most likely did not intentionally cheat, taking your lumps for your errors is part of magic. Arguing at the time is relevant but continuing to do so afterward mostly rubs people the wrong way. Unless his article was a constructive way to change the rules/IPG so that his almost but not quite unfixable cards in hand situation should now be allowed to be fixed, then it really is pointless.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

jassi007 posted:

i think all his rationale is bullshit and while he most likely did not intentionally cheat, taking your lumps for your errors is part of magic. Arguing at the time is relevant but continuing to do so afterward mostly rubs people the wrong way. Unless his article was a constructive way to change the rules/IPG so that his almost but not quite unfixable cards in hand situation should now be allowed to be fixed, then it really is pointless.

I'd have to read the article (and I don't have SCG Premium), but I pretty much agree with this. Classy to mention his lands and openly invite people to keep an eye on him, but it's pretty tasteless to keep appealing the ruling. Card touched his hand, he didn't say anything on the spot (like "yo, it's the top card physically, I will reveal it right now" or something), it's Drawing Extra Cards, downgrade didn't apply.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Um the solution is to just know the game's rich and storied lore, duh.

Radiant is the leader of the angels on the plane of Serra that's why she's got like Dragoons and poo poo. Presumably she's the executor and she has to fight off the Zerg Phyrexian invasion but refuses to escape the dying plane. Basically blame Urza for not constructing enough pylons.

the vendilion clique has that name because that's their names but other cliques are named for what they do like fencer clique, knacksaw clique, mistblind clique etc.

This is like the dumber version of "not understanding Kamigawa names because Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar is too hard to semantically parse".

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Actually, I will copy/paste the relevant portion of his argument, because it's kind of funny that he's basically continuing right where he left off from the judge appeal on camera onto the internet, and also maybe the judges in this thread can comment on the validity of his arguments.

quote:

Here's a question for you:

Have you ever seen someone take a mulligan, counting out how many cards from the top of their library they are going to draw? They reflexively lay out a seventh card and then remember they are taking a mulligan, putting it back...

After it had touched their hand.

Let's say you start your turn with no cards. You draw a card for your turn, but your opponent motions in a way that you suspect means they want priority during your upkeep, so you put the card back, but it turns out they don't.

When you had drawn the card, it was your hand, and now it's touching the top card of your deck.

These examples seem obvious and easily resolved, but so was this situation. The physical location of the card was not in question. The identity of the card was not in question. The event that had just transpired was not in question. My intent was not in question. The explanation of the ruling was that the facts of the case don't matter once it has been determined that the card physically touched any of the cards in my hand.

Of course, the above examples and numerous others reveal there are exceptions. For instance, the penalty guidelines explicitly state that if the contents of your hand are known because of Courser of Kruphix, the penalty should not be upgraded. Clearly, judgment is needed. The floor rules are not as crystal clear on this as might appear on the surface.

Some relevant portions of the Game Rules Violation section of the Floor Rules:

-An error that an opponent has no opportunity to verify the legality of should have its penalty upgraded. These errors involve misplaying hidden information, such as the morph ability or failing to reveal a card to prove that a choice made was a legal one.

This is the section that speaks to why I would have been issued a game rules violation and had it upgraded to a game loss. Note, this is a very different situation than intentionally violating game rules, which in this case, would be Cheating - Fraud and result in disqualification from the event.

-If the information was ever in a position where opponents had the opportunity to verify the legality (such as on top of the library, as the only card in hand, or on the battlefield at the end of the game), do not upgrade the penalty and reveal the information if possible.

This is an important point, because the point of the rule is not to create as many game losses as possible, but to minimize the possibility of abuse. In my match, my opponent wrongfully believed that none of my hand was public information, and it was his statement as such that lead to my penalty being upgraded to a game loss. As it turns out, the Abzan Charm had been revealed, however, the Read the Bones had not been revealed by Courser, so there was still basis for upgrading the penalty if the legality could not be verified.

Recently, some have suggested that it doesn't matter if the cards were revealed by Courser, but this is not true. As mentioned above, Courser of Kruphix itself is named in the penalty guidelines as a reason to not upgrade the penalty. The important thing is whether or not the legality of the play can be verified.

-Additionally, if the card that was supposed to be revealed was put into an empty hand, we also will not upgrade that. This is because there is no question, no ambiguity what the physical card is.

This is the crucial point of this situation. This is not a "Our hands are tied, there must be zero tolerance for mistake, a game loss is the only way to preserve the integrity of the event" type of situation. An important part of the philosophy here is to avoid being disruptive as much as possible. When there is no question, no ambiguity what the physical card is, do not upgrade the penalty, because this section is not designed to "punish" players for sloppy play, but rather to prevent potential for abuse.

That there was no ambiguity what the physical card was was the crux of my argument and a fact that was agreed on (and could have been verified by countless witnesses), as the cards had not changed order. The counterargument was that while this fact was agreed on, we also agreed that the card had touched other cards in my hand. I certainly do not fault the judges for choosing to prioritize that element of the case over the previous, however, I believe that is the more disruptive path and in the future, we should do the reverse.

-Please note, this is NOT an exhaustive list of exceptions, just the most common ones. Use the guideline of "ever in a position where opponents had the opportunity to verify the legality" and you should be able to apply this exception correctly.

This speaks to the reason I asked the head judge to use discretion in this case, as this is very much a situation that has countless potential exceptions, many of which have never been imagined yet. In this case, we had the ability to verify the legality, as the location of the card was not physically ambiguous. In fact, I immediately did just that, revealing the card.

The head judge does have the ability to determine when an exception is called for, and I believe that such a situation in the future should warrant one, when the location of the card is agreed upon to be not physically ambiguous, as that is a much more relevant fact of the case than whether or not two cards touched, for the purposes of minimizing abuse and preserving integrity of a match.

-If the infraction falls into one of the following categories, perform the fix specified unless backing up is very simple: So right here we are going to have a list of partial fixes. You do them first. If you can't, then you evaluate if you need to do a back up or leave alone. However, if the backup is trivially simple, (ex. a single action) and makes for a more organic fix, the HJ may authorize the back up.

Because nothing has happened yet, including changing the order of any cards, it is trivially easy to back up the game and reveal the card and then add it to the hand. Failure to reveal is not always a backup type of situation, however, when you Mystical Tutor for a card and fail to reveal it before putting it on top of the deck, it is easy to backup; take it off the deck, reveal it, then put it on top. The physical location of the card is not ambiguous.

A lot of people have focused on the fact that the video coverage could verify the legality of the card, a suggestion I had made during the appeal. However, that is not currently an option under current procedure (in stark contrast to the Kibler/Finkel/Wolf thing in Hawaii a few years ago), and I am sympathetic to arguments that it shouldn't be. In my specific case, it didn't particularly matter anyway, as there was agreement on the key facts of the card not being revealed, the physical location of the card, and the cards touching.

However, on the topic of not making feature matches "different" than regular matches, I do have a few observations. Games being covered and watched by tens of thousands of people are different than random matches that don't have spectators or even a table judge, whether we like it or not.

Whenever I am doing commentary on a match, if I see something wrong, you better believe we send word to the floor ASAP. Cedric Phillips, Patrick Sullivan, and Matthias Hunt do the same. Why would you not? You don't want to be disruptive and interfere, but when we see state-based effects resolved wrong, an illegal gamestate, or someone doing something illegal, we typically start by having a spotter on the floor look into it real fast, potentially even stopping the match if it's important. We're not always going to be right. Sometimes we'll think we're seeing something and just missing a key part of some complex boardstate or interaction.

Now, isn't this just making the gamestate more often correct? Absolutely. And that's the point. When there are spectators watching a match and there is a dispute, the judge may ask the spectators for information on what they saw. This means matches with spectators are functionally different than matches without. And guess what? Matches with spectators have a higher chance of what really happened being known. Matches on camera are just the extreme form of this, a time where there may be ten thousand spectators.

I am not arguing in favor of using instant replays, nor against it. I think it is a nuanced issue that I could imagine making sense either way. I am just arguing that a major issue is (or should be) tournament logistics. A lot of suggestions people make would run a serious risk of slowing down the tournament. Regardless, it would be bizarre if a non-featured match was more likely to involve asking spectators because of feature matches having a policy of judges not questioning spectators that were "only able to see because it was televised."

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Angry Grimace posted:

It doesn't help that Mistbind Clique is not legendary, yet Vendilion is.

There are five Cliques, only one of them happens to be legendary, and it's not at all obvious from the name. It's pretty dumb.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Zoness posted:

Um the solution is to just know the game's rich and storied lore, duh.

Radiant is the leader of the angels on the plane of Serra that's why she's got like Dragoons and poo poo. Presumably she's the executor and she has to fight off the Zerg Phyrexian invasion but refuses to escape the dying plane. Basically blame Urza for not constructing enough pylons.

the vendilion clique has that name because that's their names but other cliques are named for what they do like fencer clique, knacksaw clique, mistblind clique etc.

This is like the dumber version of "not understanding Kamigawa names because Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar is too hard to semantically parse".

if only she'd gotten goon range at the cyb core D:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
you must construct additional hedrons!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

Counsel the Soratami is a famous example. It's pretty easy to figure "Oh, a Council, cool" if you skim it and/or English isn't your first language. Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar is just an oddly named creature, I don't see an issue, personally.

qbert posted:

Actually, I will copy/paste the relevant portion of his argument, because it's kind of funny that he's basically continuing right where he left off from the judge appeal on camera onto the internet, and also maybe the judges in this thread can comment on the validity of his arguments.

First up, Chapin is using an older version of the IPG. Cheating no longer has subcategories (it's just "Cheating" not "Cheating - Fraud"), but it doesn't matter, it's just a tidbit I noticed. His Courser argument is invalid, since he had drawn cards without Courser being in play. And both of his early examples are different cases (Improper Drawing At Start Of Game, and the rules on Drawing Extra Cards specifically mention what happens if your hand is empty).

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
wait in this analogy is radiant aldaris?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

black potus posted:

wait in this analogy is radiant aldaris?

no shes raszagal somehow

actually radiant is pretty badass cuz she basically kicked the poo poo out of urza's rear end after going crazy

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Chapin's argument isn't without merit, it was a repairable game state, but it was only a repairable game state because it was a feature match with a table Judge and a camera, we can't apply a different standard in those situations, rulings should strive to be universally applicable and at this point Patrick needs to take his lumps like the Hall of Famer he's supposed to be not use his column on SCG to have a nice big moan about the ruling.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
this whole argument is chapin my rear end

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Forgetting about the legend rule in that case seems understandable - it comes up rarely for that card and normally you're allowed to have two creatures on the board. There aren't many reasons to be returning scrylands to your hand during a wrath though.

Also I always found Master of the Way rather confusing.

e: oh right Master the Way. The art just looks like a creature.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 15, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Forgetting about the legend rule in that case seems understandable - it comes up rarely for that card and normally you're allowed to have two creatures on the board. There aren't many reasons to be returning scrylands to your hand during a wrath though.

Also I always found Master of the Way rather confusing.

There is little doubt that picking up the scryland was an obvious cheat though. I guessing the only mistake was zoning out and forgetting it is a match on camera. Good chance that he does this often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Chapin's argument isn't without merit, it was a repairable game state, but it was only a repairable game state because it was a feature match with a table Judge and a camera, we can't apply a different standard in those situations, rulings should strive to be universally applicable and at this point Patrick needs to take his lumps like the Hall of Famer he's supposed to be not use his column on SCG to have a nice big moan about the ruling.

The problem I'm seeing is that there isn't an actual reason being given why Judges can't use whatever resources are at their disposal beyond an insistence towards mechanical enforcement of the rules as written. Taking discretion away from a judge because of the fact that it won't work in every single situation isn't necessarily a compelling argument, imo.

• Locked thread