Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

eightysixed posted:

look at your calendar.

" So now you can get the full Duino experience native on the Pi. I’m not overly worried about Duino sales though because they seem to have forgotten to connect the ATMEGA to the pins (I bet nobody notices though)." :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Slanderer posted:

this is such an "epic" "lul"

pranked so hard!!!

Sorry you don't like fun

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

eightysixed posted:

look at your calendar.

I was clearly awake too early.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Bitchin' Fast Gigabit Ethernet!

Very Broadcom.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
How close to debian 7 is raspbian?

Are they borderline identical and I can expect anything functional on Debian 7 to work on Raspbian?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
It's pretty close from what I understand. The big difference and reason they couldn't use stock Debian is that Debian doesn't build packages for the Pi 1's ARMv6 + FPU architecture, so they ended up building all the packages themselves for the Pi's architecture and calling it raspbian. With the Pi 2 and its ARMv7 architecture it apparently can work with stock Debian packages though since that architecture is built by Debian.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

mod sassinator posted:

It's pretty close from what I understand. The big difference and reason they couldn't use stock Debian is that Debian doesn't build packages for the Pi 1's ARMv6 + FPU architecture, so they ended up building all the packages themselves for the Pi's architecture and calling it raspbian. With the Pi 2 and its ARMv7 architecture it apparently can work with stock Debian packages though since that architecture is built by Debian.

Most distros have armhf branches these days so you have a huge selection available with the Pi2 (probably have to roll your own kernel with most)

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
What's my best option for an IR receiver for a Raspberry Pi 2 (for OpenELEC/Kodi)? I have a Pi Model B and I use this GPIO IR reciever. Can I just re-use that thing in some way, or is there a similar product for the Pi 2?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I used NOOBS to install OpenElec on my Raspberry Pi 2, and while performance is fantastic with a wired connection, wireless playback completely blows; even 720p TV shows can't stream for more than 30sec or so without pausing to buffer, and the pi is maybe 10 feet away, unobstructed, from my router. I really want this to be my primary playback device which would mean moving it even farther away from the router; are there settings I need to update somewhere to try and improve things? I ordered this antenna:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H95C0A2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The advice I've always seen is to try using NFS instead of SMB for that sort of thing.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
I just installed the Pi 2 version of RasPlex and am pretty pleased with the performance. Playback over wifi is good!

Now if I can figure out how to install Plex on a Raspian setup so I can also web surf etc, I will be an ecstatic camper. (Yeah, total noob here, but having fun)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

The advice I've always seen is to try using NFS instead of SMB for that sort of thing.

Switched over to NFS and it's definitely getting better, thanks! I just checked my old box and that was reading from the NFS shares too so I must have set it and forgotten about it quite some time ago. Still not 100% where I want it, I'll keep playing around with advancedsettings.xml and see if I can get it any better.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

venutolo posted:

What's my best option for an IR receiver for a Raspberry Pi 2 (for OpenELEC/Kodi)? I have a Pi Model B and I use this GPIO IR reciever. Can I just re-use that thing in some way, or is there a similar product for the Pi 2?

Hook up an ADC to the power rail and use the exposed die of the regulator IC as a photodetector.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

GobiasIndustries posted:

Switched over to NFS and it's definitely getting better, thanks! I just checked my old box and that was reading from the NFS shares too so I must have set it and forgotten about it quite some time ago. Still not 100% where I want it, I'll keep playing around with advancedsettings.xml and see if I can get it any better.

Wireless tends to be really hit or miss for streaming. I wouldn't really bet on it working.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

YouTuber posted:

Wireless tends to be really hit or miss for streaming. I wouldn't really bet on it working.

Wireless has been working fine for my current box, which is also running on a super cheap USB 802.11N card, so if I can get it to where I can watch all but a few of my super-high quality 1080p movies, I'll be OK with it. As is, 720p streaming seems to be fine for the pi after switching to the NFS shares, which covers about 80% of the files on my server. Unfortunately I don't have much of a choice about the wireless at the moment unless I run a cat5 cord down my hallway and all the way across my living room. I could get Comcast to come out and change the drop location for the modem, but both my file server and home lab would also need to be moved with it, and I'd rather keep those where they are.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 12, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

GobiasIndustries posted:

Wireless has been working fine for my current box, which is also running on a super cheap USB 802.11N card, so if I can get it to where I can watch all but a few of my super-high quality 1080p movies, I'll be OK with it. As is, 720p streaming seems to be fine for the pi after switching to the NFS shares, which covers about 80% of the files on my server. Unfortunately I don't have much of a choice about the wireless at the moment unless I run a cat5 cord down my hallway and all the way across my living room. I could get Comcast to come out and change the drop location for the modem, but both my file server and home lab would also need to be moved with it, and I'd rather keep those where they are.

You sound like a good candidate for a powerline ethernet adapter. Speed can be low on some of the cheaper ones, for streaming HD I'd buy the gigabit units.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

How wireless can I make one of these? I'm thinking of getting one to have by my TV as a media center with plex, will that work? Thinking about having it in mineral oil, but how easy would it be to get bluetooth k/b and mouse + maybe a remote to work with it? Don't really want to have to lift it out to fix software stuff with it.
Having it in a jar with only power and hdmi sticking out would be awesome.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
To be honest, you are going to pay as much to make the Pi work with plex as you would if you bought a firetv stick and the plex app.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

GobiasIndustries posted:

I had some issues with buffering and was able to address with some settings in advancedsettings.xml. I've dumped the file here: http://dumptext.com/30uCH9nE
In the comments I've pasted descriptions of the parameters copied from some documentation somewhere.

BattleMaster posted:

Hook up an ADC to the power rail and use the exposed die of the regulator IC as a photodetector.

I don't understand what much of this sentence means. I guess what I'm looking for is one item I can buy and just plug in somewhere.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

venutolo posted:

I don't understand what much of this sentence means. I guess what I'm looking for is one item I can buy and just plug in somewhere.

It was a joke about the flaw with the RPi2 that causes it to crash when you flash photograph it.

I'd have given a serious answer if I could but that shop you linked has Canada blocked for some reason, those motherfuckers.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Sistergodiva posted:

How wireless can I make one of these? I'm thinking of getting one to have by my TV as a media center with plex, will that work? Thinking about having it in mineral oil, but how easy would it be to get bluetooth k/b and mouse + maybe a remote to work with it? Don't really want to have to lift it out to fix software stuff with it.

Rasplex can do this pretty effortlessly. http://www.rasplex.com/ and their forums should give more information on the bluetooth input devices (I personally dont find I need any more than a remote, which can be your TV remote if it supports HDMI CEC)

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sistergodiva posted:

What the poo poo? Mineral oil? The Raspberry Pi needs no thermal solutions; not even a single heat sink is required even when overclocked.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Unless you're overclocking it pretty hard, which makes no goddamned sense at all. If you're after more than the Pi can deliver, move to a low-power x86 setup. Something like a Celeron 2957U, Athlon 5350, or one of the Bay Trail-M processors. Something like the LIVA mini-pc is just about the same form-factor as the Pi, peaks at 15W, and is pretty comparable in price once you factor in all the things it's got onboard that the Pi doesn't.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

As an average user there's nothing I haven't been able to do with Raspian that I could do with Debian. There are probably some tricks they're using to get acceptable performance out of 256 MB team ram

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Oh, it's not a thermal thing. I just want to try the mineral oil thing and I live in a small apartment and rather not ruin the oakflooring with a oil aquarium. Also I think a raspberry jam jar with oil, red leds and a Rpi could look nice next to the tv if done right.

Or if I can find a raspberri absolut vodka bottle and cut and seal it good enough, but sealing 2-3 cables through a metal jar lid seems way easier.

Sistergodiva fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 13, 2015

FatUglyUseless
Dec 6, 2013
Does any one have a good OpenVPN server tutorial, or run the PI as an SDR server tutorial? The SDR streamer I set up to pipe to my copy of SDR# seg faults like crazy. I am having what I think are hostname resolution issues on my Open VPN pi as well.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

FatUglyUseless posted:

Does any one have a good OpenVPN server tutorial, or run the PI as an SDR server tutorial? The SDR streamer I set up to pipe to my copy of SDR# seg faults like crazy. I am having what I think are hostname resolution issues on my Open VPN pi as well.

I have a rPI running openWRT handling the openVPN stuff. The openWRT tutorials will tell you what you need. Of course, you have to dedicate one raspi to that role, but, hey, those things are cheap.

FatUglyUseless
Dec 6, 2013

Amberskin posted:

I have a rPI running openWRT handling the openVPN stuff. The openWRT tutorials will tell you what you need. Of course, you have to dedicate one raspi to that role, but, hey, those things are cheap.

Thank you. I will need to see if it needs to be run in bridged mode, or port forward just the Open VPN bit to the internal network. (I'm trying to run it behind my FIOS router, instead of as my edge firewall.)

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

FatUglyUseless posted:

Thank you. I will need to see if it needs to be run in bridged mode, or port forward just the Open VPN bit to the internal network. (I'm trying to run it behind my FIOS router, instead of as my edge firewall.)

I run mine as default destination of my ISP provided router (DMZ setting), so all traffic goes to the raspi by default. It is definitely not bridged. On the other hand, It has two NICs so it works also as my firewall.

Addz
Apr 13, 2015

venutolo posted:

Your component will still work, the GPIO for the Raspi have only been changed once, but the pins still have the same assignments. If you're using a Model B with the fewer number of pins, all you'll have are some extra pins sticking out on the end when you plug it in.

Source:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/model-b-plus/ posted:

More GPIO. The GPIO header has grown to 40 pins, while retaining the same pinout for the first 26 pins as the Model A and B.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Are there any pi-alike boards with built in wifi that are cheaper than buying pi and wifi dongle separately?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Edimax adapter is about $8 shipped

Addz
Apr 13, 2015

peepsalot posted:

Are there any pi-alike boards with built in wifi that are cheaper than buying pi and wifi dongle separately?

There are probably too many single board computers for any one person to know the capabilities of all. Each board has its own unique purpose/design.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_single-board_computers#I.2FO_interfaces_and_ports

Look through here and find boards with onboard wifi and the interfaces you want, then make sure it can run Linux and you're golden.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
This is from a few months ago, but:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone got a good listing of projects for the Raspberry Pi? My googling just finds listings of "15 BEST RASPBERRY PI PROJECTS THAT WILL RESTORE YOUR FAITH IN HUMANITY!" and are just lego cases. I just replaced my Usenet downloading one with a more powerful O-Droid C1 so I have one floating around waiting for something to do.

My first idea was to use it as a Hi-Fi player but then I realized I have no use for one since I don't have a MP3 collection any longer.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Hadlock posted:

The Edimax adapter is about $8 shipped

I see the Edimax recommended a lot. The Edimax uses a Realtek chipset. Aren't devices with the Ralink chipset "more capable"? I.e.: easier to set up the device as an Access Point? Or is that old/invalid info?

I wish there was better WiFi info for the Pi. Like, power draw. Lots of WiFi devices "work" with the Pi, but they may not work right if they don't have enough power.

I've seen the Edimax recommended not because of its chipset, but because of its low power draw.

I have a mess of WiFi nano adapters. TrendNet, Tenda, Micro Center, etc. I just ordered some Edimax adapters last night. I sometimes get periods where half my pings fail and it seems the network is getting all flaky. I have no idea why, but I'm guessing perhaps it's a power issue.

I was looking at this site, which showed that some WiFi adapters didn't even work until they were attached to a powered hub:
http://www.mikronauts.com/raspberry-pi/pi-usb-wifi-tests/

I'm guessing that I can set "max_usb_current=1" to give more power to the USB WiFi adapters. I use 2A+ power supplies, so I shouldn't have to worry about USB not having enough juice to run a single thing.

YouTuber posted:

Anyone got a good listing of projects for the Raspberry Pi? My googling just finds listings of "15 BEST RASPBERRY PI PROJECTS THAT WILL RESTORE YOUR FAITH IN HUMANITY!" and are just lego cases. I just replaced my Usenet downloading one with a more powerful O-Droid C1 so I have one floating around waiting for something to do.

My first idea was to use it as a Hi-Fi player but then I realized I have no use for one since I don't have a MP3 collection any longer.

I'm still trying to come up with a neat list. I have several Raspberry Pis now, and I fully intend on getting some use out of all of them!

Some things I want to do (I've started a bunch of projects and left them all half finished):

* weather, humidity, and dewpoint recorder. It displays the data on a line chart, with selectable ranges (past 24 hours, past week, etc). I got the database stuff and all the calculations set up, and the PHPplot software works well. I'm just working on the buttons and form submission stuff to get it to query the database for the different data ranges. I'm trying to get this set up for both home and work. $40 in parts to get better functionality than we get from a $150-$200 probe.

* in-car computer. I have several ideas:
1) media center device. runs a WiFi AP. anyone in the car can connect to it, browse its music/movies via web interface, and tell it to play. My car has an 8" display and 12 speaker Sony sound system.
2) internet music/media streamer. It would be set up to connect to my phone's Hotspot. As soon as I enable my Hotspot the Pi gets connected. I can then connect to it via web interface and pick a music service to start streaming (Pandora, or Google Music, or whatever works).

* in-car video game system. multi-system emulator (a popular thing), with controllers. I probably won't be in my car player video games a lot, but it's a neat thing to show off.

* general web server. Setting up nginx+php+mysql is a snap on the Pi1, and the Pi2 should be able to handle Apache better. Have a mini/light setup with a forum or something. Have other Pi people post to it or whatever, or just use it as a Pi blog.

* OpenVPN setup. I manage several OpenVPN setups already, and I've been wanting to make a simple/decent OpenVPN server with one of my Pis.

One thing that I do NOT recommend with a Pi: file server. Don't bother. It doesn't have the I/O for that.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I'm actually starting (hopefully tonight) a pseudo-Dropcam with mine. Pi B, WiFi adapter, and an old webcam, pointed out my window, to send me notifications any time my rear end in a top hat neighbors park blocking my mailbox. I could buy a pre-made solution for this, but it's a fun project, and I can customize it to my liking, and I already had everything I needed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

I see the Edimax recommended a lot. The Edimax uses a Realtek chipset. Aren't devices with the Ralink chipset "more capable"? I.e.: easier to set up the device as an Access Point? Or is that old/invalid info?

I wish there was better WiFi info for the Pi. Like, power draw. Lots of WiFi devices "work" with the Pi, but they may not work right if they don't have enough power.

I played around with my Pi A+ and Edimax for about two hours one day, the A+ without edimax pulled a max of about 190 mA during boot, but with the edimax would pull about 280 mA peak which was more than the 250 mA solar panel I waswanting to power it with could supply and it would go in to a reboot loop. I have a post maybe 30 pages back that goes in to the specifics if you want to dig for it.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

YouTuber posted:

Anyone got a good listing of projects for the Raspberry Pi?
My two awesome projects:

1) garage door opener and monitor
2) pi sump pump monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
Hey I want to set up my Pi as a tiny dev server but I'm kinda out of my element (first time). Is there a way to connect my Pi to my computer so that I can do all the heavy lifting on my desktop. I find it kind of annoying to disconnect my monitor and develop directly on my Pi. I guess I want to turn my Pi into a non-virtual virtual machine. Is that crazy?