Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo

Finn Pennywhistle posted:

it is surprisingly effective. i've found myself orbiting most things, players included, if space allows

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=316

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro Target

Finn Pennywhistle posted:

i can't get a feel for the curved sword parry window

also i think this graph is cool

"The Monastery Scimitar has been 're-patched' as of Calibration 1.10. The graph is incorrect now, and the weapon now falls under the 'curved swords' category."

Stormyish

I got S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
has anybody else played it and is it as super good as I'm hoping, because I'm super bored

Pro Target

I played call of pripyat and really enjoyed it, but yo uneed to be in the mindset to enjoy it as what it is (a survival game) and not a Fallout 3 Style Crappy First Person RPG or whatever

Pro Target

The levels arent constructed for human traversability, the world is designed to impede your progress and youi need to scavenge and think tactically to get the resources you need

Stormyish

I need to try something new anyway, I've gotten bored with every other game I have, and i've modded every bethesda game I have to the point that they're less of a game and more of a crash simulator

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

it's excellent and lonely as hell which can be good if that's what you're up for

Stormyish

I am a fan of things that are excellent as hell
also do I have you on steam, bo

Pro Target

i love finding artifacts in obscure hard to reach places... STALKER is a greatgame series

joke_explainer

Stalker is an amazing game series. It's nothing like fallout. There's actual resource scarcity and the wasting anything comes back to bite you. Amazing games.

I hear the creators are putting out somethung else... did that ever get finished?

Stormyish

joke_explainer posted:

Stalker is an amazing game series. It's nothing like fallout. There's actual resource scarcity and the wasting anything comes back to bite you. Amazing games.

I hear the creators are putting out somethung else... did that ever get finished?

If they did, I don't see it on steam

Pro Target

they did, its called survarium and its No Good

joke_explainer

Stormyish posted:

I got S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
has anybody else played it and is it as super good as I'm hoping, because I'm super bored

You'll love it I think. Every bullet is a previous resource... The fights are brutal, one shot can kill you. Then the enviroment itself is trying to kill you. There's nothing like carefully trundling across the wasteland to suddenly be in the middle of a blowout (emission from the ruined reactor) that will kill all living things outside. A mad dash to cover... to find a new area, a dark tunnel to explore. Maybe this will solve your problems... a pristine, untouched area to loot.

But no. There's something out there in the dark. A reason this tunnel went ignored...

joke_explainer fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 15, 2015

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Stormyish posted:

also do I have you on steam, bo

i dunno my username is bo-pepper so it's pretty easy to find me

Scaly Haylie

holy hell, could gta5 load any slower?

Scaly Haylie

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa loving LOAD

Stormyish

joke_explainer posted:

You'll love it I think. Every bullet is a previous resource... The fights are brutal, one shot can kill you. Then the enviroment itself is trying to kill you. There's nothing like carefully trundling across the wasteland to suddenly be in the middle of a blowout (emission from the ruined reactor) that will kill all living things outside. A mad dash to cover... to find a new area, a dark tunnel to explore. Maybe this will solve your problems... a pristine, untouched area to loot.

But no. There's something out there in the dark. A reason this tunnel went ignored...

Well, I heard it was like the Metro series a bit as well, which I enjoyed
Except for Bourbon

Stormyish

BYOB Rachel posted:

i dunno my username is bo-pepper so it's pretty easy to find me

Wait I've talked to you a bunch of times, I do have you
I am just forgetful as hell today

Pro Target

im pretty sure it only resembles metro aesthetically (they both draw inspiration from Roadside Picnic) they dont really play the same

Scaly Haylie

oh, maybe it had something to do with AVG running a scan at the same time

problematic hug

riveting

Pro Target

another thing that draws inspiration from roadside picnic is Tarkovsky's Stalker, an excellent film that i highly recommend

3D Megadoodoo

Pro Target posted:

another thing that draws inspiration from roadside picnic is Tarkovsky's Stalker, an excellent film that i highly recommend

Is it about Arnold?

Stormyish

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is it about Arnold?

hoh

joke_explainer

There is definitely aesthetic similarities with metro, though Metro is mostly an on-rails shooter and Stalker is completely open world. The story is not bashed on your head at all. There's a line of quest dialog saying where you need to go but no pointer as far as I remember.

Fallout 3 is a theme park designed to usher you from ride to ride, but Stalker felt much more organic. There were certainly puzzles and there's no doubt it was built around the player, but everything fits together in a really good way. The game doesn't care if you're uncomfortable or starved, it's got no problem with you leading yourself into an inescapable situation. If I didn't have such a crazy backlog, I'd go back and play through again.

There were some mods in progress when I quit playing, that basically just were going to upgrade the graphics. I'm not sure if its worth messing up the original game but you might want to look into them.

Pro Target

Stalker captures moments of panicked survival really well for a video game. Like I was caught in a blowout and ran for shelter in an abandoned train station and spent the whole thign cowering in a corner cause i could hear Mutant noises coming out of the dark tunnel

Pro Target

The setup for the first bloodsucker in SoC is basically a flawless piece of video game design

joke_explainer

Pro Target posted:

Stalker captures moments of panicked survival really well for a video game. Like I was caught in a blowout and ran for shelter in an abandoned train station and spent the whole thign cowering in a corner cause i could hear Mutant noises coming out of the dark tunnel

yeah, compounding the survival methodology of 'keeping your distance' with the sudden necessity to rush to the nearest available shelter was an absolutely fantastic game mechanic. I had a very similar experience, it just pushes you so far off balance and keeps the tension high even as you start to become more comfortable in the world

Pro Target posted:

The setup for the first bloodsucker in SoC is basically a flawless piece of video game design

yeah, holy poo poo. I played CoP years after SoC too so its not just rose tinted glasses. if you haven't played that series totally go for it video games fans

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

Pro Target posted:

Literally every supernatural monster had a perfect introduction.

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
Just saying their names are spoilers, but you should know which two come to mind

cute anime girl

Lizard Wizard posted:

holy hell, could gta5 load any slower?

get a better pc nerd

Scaly Haylie

cute anime girl posted:

get a better pc nerd

i'll have you know my pc is very good at loading video games, when it is not virus scanning.

3D Megadoodoo

buy a microsoft or sony brand computer

Scaly Haylie

i have a sony brand computer lying around but it's the 06 model

problematic hug

scholar of the first sin: i could really use another http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Manslayer before going into ng+ and if someone could help me out with that it would be grand. i've kept all the weapons up to this point except soul weapons so

trading is an option, is what i'im trying to say

Pro Target

can you not get that via bonfire ascetic?

problematic hug

it's from an iron chest, those don't reset

Stormyish

I can't wait till Bloodborne comes out on PC
*crawls into coffin waiting for pc launch*

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

i hope it's a comfortable coffin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
I'm running a dex build, and just got the drakewing ultra greatsword. This thing loving owns, holy poo poo. I'm offhanding it with the rapier in my main hand, and just exploding everything i meet with stagger from the greatsword letting me go into the safety and damage of the rapier for free.

It's two handed alt-fire keeps giving me kills on people trying to estus or roll away, and the actual swing on the alt-fire can hit too, doing like 1000 damage :mrgw:

Pomp fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 15, 2015

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!