Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

mikeraskol posted:

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr its just Skye surprised that she's a year older than she thought and the scene doesn't mean anything.

Exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, something's up with the Afterlife place, including Skye's parents.

Sir Nose posted:

Did the mountain resort actually get called "Afterlife" in the show and I missed it, or is "Afterlife" just a nickname that's floating around here?

Not only was the episode where we see it named Afterlife, but Lincoln said that they (the residents) call it the Afterlife.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Mymla posted:

There's something up with that whole afterlife place. It's too much of a perfect utopian paradise for it not to have a million skeletons in the closet.

It's being shown as a YA fiction cliche for sure, the special place for people just born different to everyone else complete with hot guy to show our heroine the ropes. I definitely agree it's shady though, Gordon just has far too much power over them for one thing. The only person besides Skye there I actually trust is Cal, weirdly.

Another really great episode though. Bahrain lived up to the hype, and even knowing full well it would all go wrong it was still compelling. Whoever posted that Raina's OP powerset would only show her things that would cause her pain is a great read, if depressing as hell. And Fitz stole the show with that 30 second scene.

Something I'm really enjoying is the constant implications that Gordon and his Inhuman society (and it is his) are massive pieces of poo poo. His untermensch insult to Cal, that's he's just a science experiment and not one of the Pure powered people, his 'you wouldn't understand' spiel to Lincoln showing division between human passing and non-human passing Inhumans, the cultish jealousy among people that want to figuratively ascend, it's a hierarchical clusterfuck waiting to explode and no way does Skye's mum make it out when it does.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Then why is he hiding his super duper secret project? And not telling Simmons that she is actually making Deathlok batteries? Burn down both sides and start over fresh.:colbert:

Compartmentalization. If Simmons were to ever get captured, brainwashed, come into contact with an evil mind-reader, etc., she can't divulge information she doesn't know. Likewise only giving out information on a need-to-know basis helps to protect your assets because it makes them less valuable to capture. Of course, problems can arise when a person suddenly needs to know information they could have been given but weren't because it wasn't deemed important at the time.

As for the Skye family dinner, it was definitely awkward but I think it was just meant to show one of the unexpected things Skye would have to deal with when re-uniting with her family. The real main point of the dinner scene is that it was something they could show us which Raina would have a dream about and Sparky Guy could see actually happen. That being said they did give a weird emphasis to when he birthday is. Having two characters tell the same story, and state the same information, in the same episode, to the same person, is highly unusual.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
^This person said it better than I did.

mikeraskol posted:

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr its just Skye surprised that she's a year older than she thought and the scene doesn't mean anything.

Probably, but that whole exchange was awkward and it felt like they lingered on that scene and confusion a bit too long, so I can totally see why someone would think it has some relevance.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Metropolis posted:

As for the Skye family dinner, it was definitely awkward but I think it was just meant to show one of the unexpected things Skye would have to deal with when re-uniting with her family. The real main point of the dinner scene is that it was something they could show us which Raina would have a dream about and Sparky Guy could see actually happen. That being said they did give a weird emphasis to when he birthday is. Having two characters tell the same story, and state the same information, in the same episode, to the same person, is highly unusual.

Not only that by the entire talk about how when she calls a place home it all goes to poo poo.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

That's probably the reason for the look, yeah.

The reason her being 26 stood out to me though is because usually a character is the same age as the actor that plays them, unless there's a reason not to be. The only thing that comes to mind is that they had Whitehall's release placed in 1989, so Skye had to have been born before that. That could even be the only reason. Maybe they just didn't think of Skye/Bennet's age when they put the date on there at the time or something.

This is not true at all - roles are cast with a pretty large age range otherwise you wouldn't get situations like actor A plays the mom of character B but the actor playing character B is only 10 years younger than actor A. Which happens all the time.
Some one earlier in the thread pointed out the there is a 2 year age gap between the actor and the Flash. Wooooo. It doesn't make a difference.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

This is not true at all - roles are cast with a pretty large age range otherwise you wouldn't get situations like actor A plays the mom of character B but the actor playing character B is only 10 years younger than actor A. Which happens all the time.
Some one earlier in the thread pointed out the there is a 2 year age gap between the actor and the Flash. Wooooo. It doesn't make a difference.
Also all those 30something teenagers on shows like 90210.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Dexo posted:

Probably, but that whole exchange was awkward and it felt like they lingered on that scene and confusion a bit too long, so I can totally see why someone would think it has some relevance.

Yeah I think that's all it is. Not that there may not be something up with Skye's mom -- this show enjoys taking parental figures and having them gently caress with their progeny.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Oh yeah. Thanks for reminding me of the best nickname yet: Sparkplug. :allears:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Chloe Bennett is great, she has a real emotional maturity in her acting that I wouldn't think she was only 22 when she started this. I honestly thought she was close to thirty.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maybe they are making her older because actors age way faster than their on-screen characters due to production schedules. So a year in production time might only play out over a few weeks/months over the course of the season. If you make your younger actors play older roles they will catch up to eachother eventually but not be such a ridiculous gap down the line. They may be planning to use Skye well into the 2019 Avengers movies where she still may be 26-27 in the story.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Metropolis posted:

That being said they did give a weird emphasis to when he birthday is. Having two characters tell the same story, and state the same information, in the same episode, to the same person, is highly unusual.

It was just a bone Skye's mom threw to Cal. He was so HAPPY to tell Skye the story of her birth, it wasn't as if she was going to go "oh, sorry, I already told her all this."

Also, since Skye already knew the story, it diffuses some of the tension since none of it is a surprise to her.

In short, the redundancy was just Skye's mom breaking the ice.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Dexo posted:

I think it was INTENDED to be a little awkward, because skye and her mom already knew that skye already knew all that, and were basically lying to throw cal a bone.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mymla posted:

There's something up with that whole afterlife place. It's too much of a perfect utopian paradise for it not to have a million skeletons in the closet.

The one guy that Skye's Mom (what is her actual name?) seemed really nervous when she spoke to him (the one that was going to go out hiking). And more in a "vaguely scared" than "oh god the boss is talking to me" sort of way.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Azhais posted:

(what is her actual name?)

Jiaying.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Maybe they are making her older because actors age way faster than their on-screen characters due to production schedules. So a year in production time might only play out over a few weeks/months over the course of the season. If you make your younger actors play older roles they will catch up to eachother eventually but not be such a ridiculous gap down the line. They may be planning to use Skye well into the 2019 Avengers movies where she still may be 26-27 in the story.

The MCU is supposedly progressing in realtime at this point, so by 2019, Skye will be 30/31 years old

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Eva's mind-controlling daughter kind of struck me as a more deranged version of Luna Maximoff who became a kind of emotion manipulating empath after being forced into the mists.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slashrat posted:

The MCU is supposedly progressing in realtime at this point, so by 2019, Skye will be 30/31 years old

That's probably a pretty smart thing to do. It'll be weird if a character doesn't show up in a movie though. like "Hey Hulk, where were you all last year?" "Oh u know, doin Hulk Stuff ;)" "Oh, that's cool. Welp, see you in 2017!"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

The one guy that Skye's Mom (what is her actual name?) seemed really nervous when she spoke to him (the one that was going to go out hiking). And more in a "vaguely scared" than "oh god the boss is talking to me" sort of way.

There's also the Elders to think of.

I don't get the impression Jiayang is an elder, though. She's just Afterlife's superintendent.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Kind of an out there theory:
They've said categorically that scarlet witch and quicksilver are not inhumans, but what if the source of their powers is?

Whitehall was able to take on some form of Jiaying's power, and It's reasonable to think that Cal's whatever-he-has might have been developed with his knowledge of Inhumans, or just straight up with Jiaying's help. Then there's TAHITI, inhumans are a hybrid of kree and human, and the resurrection process involved bits of kree biology.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Then there's TAHITI, inhumans are a hybrid of kree and human

Not exactly, they're just a product of kree genetic engineering. You wouldn't call those glow in the dark cats that got made a while back human cat hybrids.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

reignonyourparade posted:

Not exactly, they're just a product of kree genetic engineering. You wouldn't call those glow in the dark cats that got made a while back human cat hybrids.

I thought they were human/kree. My bad.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Charles Gnarwin posted:

"Try the hot sauce! I thinned it out a bit because the spice must flow"

This post needs more love.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Error 404 posted:

Kind of an out there theory:
They've said categorically that scarlet witch and quicksilver are not inhumans, but what if the source of their powers is?

Whitehall was able to take on some form of Jiaying's power, and It's reasonable to think that Cal's whatever-he-has might have been developed with his knowledge of Inhumans, or just straight up with Jiaying's help. Then there's TAHITI, inhumans are a hybrid of kree and human, and the resurrection process involved bits of kree biology.

Where did they say that quicksilver and scarlet witch aren't inhumans?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Slashrat posted:

Various press releases and interviews.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Slashrat posted:

Some interview back around the beginning of this season.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Is that for an in-universe reason, or because of the licensing weirdness with those two characters?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Spergatory posted:

So who, exactly, would be stockpiled in Coulson's superpower summer camp? There are presumably plenty of people on the Gifted index, but not that many we've seen who are both A. mentally stable and B. alive. The Inhumans have their own summer camp in the mountains of Whereversia, so I don't think they would want to come. Who does that leave? Mike Peterson? Brainwashed Ice Nerd that Skye shot and definitely did not kill because the show made a point of telling us they never found his body?

Because as far as I can tell, all the other superpowered people in the show fall into those three categories; dead, evil/insane, or Inhuman.

Ward's mask friend would be a good candidate. She used to be a loyal SHIELD agent, remember, and only became evil when she was brainwashed, and then is largely continuing to be evil because Ward's going full Svengali on her. Like, she's pretty crazy, but not Ward or Cal level crazy.

But that's what makes her a good candidate... she's not like Matt Murdock or Bruce Banner who will make the right choices and become heroic (or at least a hermit) even if you leave them on their own. She's headed down a bad path but, maybe, with support, could still be saved and prevented from becoming an irredeemable mass-murdering supervillain. She's exactly the kind of person that kind of program is designed for. People that aren't totally insane, but aren't totally righteous, either. Mike Peterson is basically a success story that proves that philosophy can work.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I just thought of something. We're building up to a crossover with Age of Ultron, Dethlok is following one of the guys experimenting with creating Enhanced, Coulson is building a large barracks/prison/dormatory/something-that-needs-cots, maybe Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch aren't the only experiments and Coulson is planning a large-scale rescue. As folks have said, Coulson's School for Gifted Youngsters, my idea is just where these characters may come from.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Worth mentioning. Jiaying specifically mentioned that Eva stole a bunch of Terrigen crystals. She obviously used one on her daughter. What happened to the others? Were they confiscated by Shield (Hydra?) in Bahrain? The one that created Skye and Raina was found by Whitehall in the 40s. Sif and her Kree pal were after some crystals as well.

I'm just wondering if this a nod that there are some crystals out in play somewhere.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Bruceski posted:

As folks have said, Coulson's School for Gifted Youngsters, my idea is just where these characters may come from.

Now all we need is for Coulson to start losing his hair and have an accident that leaves him in a wheelchair.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

victorious posted:

Now all we need is for Coulson to start losing his hair and have an accident that leaves him in a wheelchair.

And maybe his TAHITI modifications would allow him to touch a terrigen crystal and gain mind powers, maybe the imperfect transition is what puts him in that wheelchair. :v:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
drat, what an episode. :stare: Definitely up there with Turn, Turn, Turn, as one of the best so far.

Also, the girl playing Katya deserves a ton of props for being creepy as hell.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, they actually managed to deliver a story for the Cavalry that lived up to everything associated with it, including why everyone was so impressed and why May hated it.

I agree, this is definitely one of their best.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

victorious posted:

:geno:: The wheelchair's a side effect of the terragenesis. Not much you can do, but it comes with perks. I get the closest parking spot now.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

I tried to check out this show right from jump and quickly realized I wanted nothing to do with it. Daredevil, however, has got me hooked back into Marvel's television efforts, and while I recognize that they're much different shows, I've heard that Agents improves drastically in quality, so I'm thinking about trying to wade back in. What episodes can I skip/where should I get back in?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

double negative posted:

I tried to check out this show right from jump and quickly realized I wanted nothing to do with it. Daredevil, however, has got me hooked back into Marvel's television efforts, and while I recognize that they're much different shows, I've heard that Agents improves drastically in quality, so I'm thinking about trying to wade back in. What episodes can I skip/where should I get back in?

It gets really good at Turn Turn Turn which is season 1, episode 17. You should probably watch at least some of what precedes it for setup and character building though. A lot of that stuff ends up paying off in season 2.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

double negative posted:

If you've seen previous episodes you can probably just jump in at Turn, Turn, Turn (1x17) and go from there. You'll be confused about various things, though, since you're jumping right into the middle of an ongoing plot, so if you want a better grounding then you'll have to wait for someone to give you an edited list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Personally I enjoyed enough of season 1 when binge-watching through it, especially knowing beforehand the pay-off for Turn Turn Turn. If anything it's decent enough background television that provides some nice character moments before re-arranging the playing field.

• Locked thread