Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The used tire shop I was just in had Obama on a zero dollar bill. The universe is mysterious, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

The used tire shop I was just in had Obama on a zero dollar bill. The universe is mysterious, man.

Well he has presided over a significant threat of deflation for like most of his time in office.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Unfortunately all anyone is going to get out of this is "durr hurr crazy mailman gyrocopter" when it gets its 45 seconds of coverage tonight on the news.

Sad to say you're probably right, because in all likelihood it WON'T spark any sort of debate about reforming money in politics, which is certainly a valid conversation we as a country should be having.

If talk of Hughes extends beyond a single news cycle, it'll probably be because of Hannity or some Fox News other pundit declaring him a terrorist.

ReidRansom posted:

One of my grandfathers was born in 1875. I'm in my 30s.

Mine wasn't quite that old, but he was up there, I think born around 1890 or so. My grandmother was his second wife, and yeah, there was about a 30-year age difference. I was born about four years after he passed. I wish I got a chance to meet him. :smith:

As an aside, my grandmother is still kicking. She just turned 102. :unsmith:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Man that's weird. My great-grandmother only recently passed away and she was born in 1912 or 1911.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, "Yes. He should have been subject to being shot out of the sky. I don't know why he wasn't. Our nation is under seige. Radical Islam is a threat to our nation. There are probably radical Islamic cells in our backyard already. And if somebody is willing to approach vital government infrastructure, they should do so at their own peril." ~ Lindsey Graham

He added, "I'll get you next time gyro-guy. NEXT TIME!!! :argh:"

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "Yes. He should have been subject to being shot out of the sky.

Fair enough, the airspace around the White House and Capitol Building should probably be protected.

quote:

I don't know why he wasn't.

Probably not a good thing to shoot down aircraft until it's determined to be a threat, but still I can see where you're coming from.

quote:

Our nation is under seige.

...By gyrocopters?

quote:

Radical Islam is a threat to our nation. There are probably radical Islamic cells in our backyard already.

TRAIN OF THOUGHT DERAILED

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

To be honest he probably knows a lot about hosting Saudi diplomats for a midsummer's eve soiree amidst the myrtles on the back lawn.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "Yes. He should have been subject to being shot out of the sky. I don't know why he wasn't. Our nation is under seige. Radical Islam is a threat to our nation. There are probably radical Islamic cells in our backyard already. And if somebody is willing to approach vital government infrastructure, they should do so at their own peril." ~ Lindsey Graham

He added, "I'll get you next time gyro-guy. NEXT TIME!!! :argh:"

Someone tell McCain to break off a Klonopin, stuff it in Lindsey's mouth and rub his throat before he strokes out at the sight of his own shadow. He's literally afraid of Islamists jumping out at him from behind the nearest tree or shrub.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just trying to imagine Lindsey Graham howling for the blood of gyro copter pilots in his gentle Southern drawl

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nintendo Kid posted:

Man that's weird. My great-grandmother only recently passed away and she was born in 1912 or 1911.

My great grandparents were all dead by the 80s but I had a grandfather born in 1918.

My only living grandparent was literally married at 16 (yay for :catholic: ).

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

PupsOfWar posted:

Death to anyone who can trace their ancestry back more than two generations.

Geneology is a bourgoise affectation.

Knowing were you came from is important and I don't see whats so wrong with being educated about the good and bad things your ancestors did. What you family has done in the past has extremely strong influences on what you do, even if subconsciously.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Joementum posted:

Radical Islam was always going to have to transition to ornithopters to avoid Shai- Hulud.

Also it's impossible to read a Lindsey Graham quote in any voice but that of a southern debutante.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Venom Snake posted:

Knowing were you came from is important and I don't see whats so wrong with being educated about the good and bad things your ancestors did. What you family has done in the past has extremely strong influences on what you do, even if subconsciously.

Genealogy is important. How else will the revolution determine who the capitalist roaders are?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

I think what he's jokingly getting at is that some people just can't, as in, those records just don't exist for whatever reason (slave trade, refugee situation like my parents, etc). Not that I disagree with you, you should probably find out if you can, if for nothing other than curiosity.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Genealogy is important. How else will the revolution determine who the capitalist roaders are?

I dunno, I sorta just figured we'd arbitrarily label any enemy or inconvenient person as such like last time.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I think what he's jokingly getting at is that some people just can't, as in, those records just don't exist for whatever reason (slave trade, refugee situation like my parents, etc). Not that I disagree with you, you should probably find out if you can, if for nothing other than curiosity.

I get that. But it's important not to play down how valuable knowing what your ancestors did can be as it helps link yourself to history in a more personal way. For my family our history is a big deal as we prize the fact since the founding of the country there has been a family member in the U.S. military. It's not wrong to take pride in your ancestry as long as you don't over do it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Duke Igthorn posted:

I'm just trying to imagine Lindsey Graham howling for the blood of gyro copter pilots in his gentle Southern drawl

He got bit by a snake last time he messed with a gyrocopter and has never forgotten it since.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

chitoryu12 posted:

He got bit by a snake last time he messed with a gyrocopter and has never forgotten it since.

Wasn't quick, no reflexes.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

To be honest he probably knows a lot about hosting Saudi diplomats for a midsummer's eve soiree amidst the myrtles on the back lawn.

Even if this wasn't intended to be a poetic metaphor for gay sex, I'm going to take it as one.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

PupsOfWar posted:

Geneology is a white affectation.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Zeitgueist posted:

PupsOfWar posted:

Geneology is a white affectation.

Asians count as honorary whites, I assume?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

As always, yes. :colbert:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I was going to mention the extensive use of family registers across Asia, but that works as well.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Asians count as honorary whites, I assume?
[/quote]

In all seriousness, that's basically the state of Asian-white relations in the United States.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I'm looking forward to 9 years of this bullshit

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

In all seriousness, that's basically the state of Asian-white relations in the United States.
[/quote]

Which comes from the U.S. having a significant influence on Asia for almost a hundred years now. A lot of people forget that U.S. owned a large majority of the Pacific for a long time.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

[/quote]

I should have phrased it a little more tongue-in-cheek so the joke would have been clearer.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

quote:

Which comes from the U.S. having a significant influence on Asia for almost a hundred years now. A lot of people forget that U.S. owned a large majority of the Pacific for a long time.

And we owned even more of the blacks, but it doesn't seem to help them very much

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
How many people DO leave tips at those sorts of places, really?

If they wanted me to leave a tip they should have put a tip line on my check.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fried Chicken posted:

And we owned even more of the blacks, but it doesn't seem to help them very much

We still don't equal rights to our pacific territories to this day. But I was commenting more on the fact that Japan almost became part of our empire at one point.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

JT Jag posted:

I don't though thinking about it I probably should. It takes more effort to make a meal than to pour a beer and I tip at bars.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

How many people running for President order $20~ of Burritos and leave no tip?

Biden, now Biden is a man you can trust to leave a tip in a tip jar.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

How many people running for President order $20~ of Burritos and leave no tip?

Biden, now Biden is a man you can trust to leave a tip in a tip jar.

Well usually. Not today. He thought that gyrocopter was delivering his gyros, and was very disappointed when that wasn't the case

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Yeah there's definitely a subset of rich FYGM Asians, usually first or second generation, that makes common cause with white conservatives to poo poo on black people.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN) officially requested the that Secret Service build a moat.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Venom Snake posted:

We still don't equal rights to our pacific territories to this day. But I was commenting more on the fact that Japan almost became part of our empire at one point.

"our empire"?

:frogout: Learn yourself some manifest destiny, we have no empire, only honest dealings.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN) officially requested the that Secret Service build a moat.

If memory serves we actually did that for our embassy in London

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fried Chicken posted:

If memory serves we actually did that for our embassy in London
As a matter of fact he cites that in the letter

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

Not a bad idea honestly. Especially if they put some water flowers in as cool fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

JT Jag posted:

I dunno about you guys, but I have direct deposit like most adults in TYOOL 2015 and don't carry cash, so I don't/can't tip any place that only has a tip jar to stuff dollar bills into. Step up your game, Chipotle, we live in the future now, I'm not gonna start carrying around a useless wad of singles just in case my lunch destination hasn't gotten functional computers yet.

• Locked thread