Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

mikeraskol posted:

How is Iris not knowing even protecting her? Barry's most dangerous enemy is the Reverse Flash. As far as Joe knows, Reverse Flash knows who Barry is, knows who he is, and knows about Iris. RF could kill her in half a second. How is her not knowing Barry's secret help with that at all?

Because she's stupid, self centered and arrogant enough to go straight to Wells and give her a piece of her mind.

She's pretty and this is a CW show, that means as a character she basically gets to do what she wants with no regard to consequence, you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kin posted:

She's pretty and this is a CW show, that means as a character she basically gets to do what she wants with no regard to consequence, you see.

Hot rear end take right here.

Everyone on the show is pretty numbnuts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I especially enjoyed how Iris had a heart to heart with Barry about her situation, with Barry giving her some great advice and knowledge only to go all "Barry told me some really insightful things, but gently caress all that bullshit, I'm not going to understand Eddie's side of the situation and give him an ultimatum like I had originally planned."

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

mcbexx posted:

Well, that scratches the ominous line "Do you think that's... wise, Barry?" by Wells off the preview bits list...

That was actually super good advice from Wells. Evil Dad still giving good advice

Ray's pleading liook trying to get out of that dinner behind Felicity's back was also comedy gold.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 15, 2015

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

VagueRant posted:

Very surprised to see all the negative reaction to this ep. Sure the villain and the Iris stuff was garbage but uhh, that's been true for almost EVERY episode. (Mind you, the hacking bit was SO DUMB, down to SPARKS exploding out of the computer because she got hacked SO HARD.)

But we got to see Felicity being fun and funny and awkward again (as opposed to crying and inconsistent and existing purely to tease shippers) and it made me happy. I kinda wish they'd cancel Arrow and just bring the cast into the Flash because the Flash writers seem to have a way better handle on them and Arrow is basically dead to me now.

Ray was fun too, and him sciencebro'ing it up with Cisco was good stuff. Cisco having flashbacks to the alternate timeline was interesting and the group finding out at the end is moving that story along in a good way.

Ray: "I can't stay up. [beat] I mean the suit."
Felicity: "He means the suit."
Ray: "The sex is fine."
Caitlin: "Oh god, there's two of them."

"Bee careful!"
"Really?"
"Sorry. Bad pun. Don't die."

"Didn't I give you explicit instructions not to die?"
"That's a big thing for her."

:allears:

I feel like we're totally on the same page. I actually got a big kick out of all the group scenes and Ray being the most adorable millionaire dork ever. He gives some pretty funny hammy looks a bunch of times during the episode. After a little whining, which didn't bother me as much as some, because it does make some sense - Cisco and Kaitlin are now in on the wells plot, and more cool stuff is to come.

Everybody gets some good lines, and in general, the heart is really in there, unlike Arrow which is basically unwatchably stupid and Smallville v.2 at this point. "You weren't yourself".

Whereas, MOST of the people on Flash are fun and smart and interesting and actual people, not cardboard cutouts with "feelings of the week" stapled on their foreheads. P.s. Iris still sucks though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BrianWilly posted:

So how about that superhuman prison eh?

It knows that Barry's the Flash too

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Just watched the episode. Did Joe really call him Barry with that streaker inside the car???

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Ray wasted a lot of money buying out that restaurant

That's the real shame in all of this

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Scyantific posted:

Just watched the episode. Did Joe really call him Barry with that streaker inside the car???

I don't think you quite understand the fact that everybody knows except Iris.

Everybody.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
When they finally let Iris in on it, it's Slade Wilson who knocks on her apartment door and says "Barry Allen is the Flash. Deathstroke away!"

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
I really liked this episode. Felicity and Ray were a lot of fun.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Ray's been the bright spot in this season of Arrow.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I'm going to try and be positive and say that I just have higher standards this week after shotgunning Daredevil. There was some funny bits so it wasn't all bad, but it is sad the highlight of the episode was the CW Fight Club commercial.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Senerio posted:

Ray's been the bright spot in this season of Arrow.

hahahah this is great. Both shows need more Brandon Routh. :3:

e: vv I thought there would be a lot more jealousy angle but Ray being such a lovable goof seemed to keep that to a minimum. Also I guess he's getting enough of that on Arrow?

Maduo fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 15, 2015

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bad Moon posted:

Ray's pleading liook trying to get out of that dinner behind Felicity's back was also comedy gold.

What an awkward dinner in general, for everyone.

"Hey Barry, remember how we had a brief fling? Well, here's this handsome billionaire I'm dating. Wanna invite the unrequited love of your life and her equally handsome boyfriend and get dinner, just the 5 of us?"

They should've invited Cisco and Caitlin. Would've really turned the night around.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was definitely laughing at Barry being stuck as the fifth wheel at a dinner with two exes (sorta) he still had unresolved issues with and their awesome boyfriends. Barry's life really sucks at the moment.

teagone posted:

I especially enjoyed how Iris had a heart to heart with Barry about her situation, with Barry giving her some great advice and knowledge only to go all "Barry told me some really insightful things, but gently caress all that bullshit, I'm not going to understand Eddie's side of the situation and give him an ultimatum like I had originally planned."

I have no problem with Iris simply deciding that she wants a different relationship with her boyfriend than her father and that if their relationship is going to last long term he has to be willing to share the poo poo he's dealing with instead of letting it drive a wedge between them and rest all on his shoulders. Criticizing Iris for that seems entirely unfair. She doesn't have to accept Barry's idea of a relationship. She doesn't have to be ok with the same sort of deal with Eddie that she has with her father. Her dad isn't her partner.

Its not a right or wrong thing, IMO. This relationship isn't working for Iris if Eddie is keeping major secrets, regardless of what they are or what his motivations are. That's not right or wrong, that's how Iris feels. A relationship only works if both parties are on the same page. Some relationships work under different rules and conditions than others. I'm sure many cops have relationships where they tell their SOs nothing and many have relationships where they share the poo poo that is weighing on them with their SOs. If it works it works and Iris/Eddie isn't working right now.

That doesn't make the story good, mind you. But we can't undue what's been done and I'll be shocked if Iris doesn't find out by the end of the season. Everything's coming to a head with Eddie being told, it wrecking their relationship, and her finding out in the other timeline. It feels like we're clearly building to someone breaking down and telling her and as long as it ends with Iris getting pissed at Joe for being the reason everyone was lying to her I'm ok with just moving on. The only problem now seems to be that the show wants to lay it out and tell a story with it while a lot of people are frothing at the mouth to see Iris find out and/or be murdered horribly.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

I was definitely laughing at Barry being stuck as the fifth wheel at a dinner with two exes (sorta) he still had unresolved issues with and their awesome boyfriends. Barry's life really sucks at the moment.

"Actually, Barry, I just talked to Iris. She says you and Linda broke up, but is it cool if she joins? She's dating this new guy who sounds super cool...Leonard something?"

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Pressuring Eddie into something he's not comfortable with by giving him an ultimatum is childish. Yeah, different relationships have different rules. But there's a huge difference between "I don't think I can be in a relationship like this, sorry Eddie" and "If you don't tell me, it's over!"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sekkira posted:

Pressuring Eddie into something he's not comfortable with by giving him an ultimatum is childish. Yeah, different relationships have different rules. But there's a huge difference between "I don't think I can be in a relationship like this, sorry Eddie" and "If you don't tell me, it's over!"

But there's really no difference between those two statements besides phrasing. "This relationship won't work like this and its your choice whether to change that" is the same message in both of those. It may not be nice and we feel for Eddie because we know he's just respecting Joe and Barry's wishes and secrets. But "ultimatum" is a loaded word in relationships even though the reality is that every relationship has SOME key issue that can make or break it and there comes a point where someone has to choose whether to fix it or not.

I mean, what's the alternative to "pressuring Eddie into something he's not comfortable with"? That Iris just continue on with the relationship despite the fact that she's clearly not comfortable with the way its going? That seems a little unfair to Iris.

Of course creating a scene at a dinner with some random people is immature. And of course this whole thing is much bigger than Iris realizes and is really more about her father and brother than her boyfriend. But she doesn't know any of that. All she knows is that her boyfriend is going through something and rather than share it with her is lying about it. And that isn't working for her. My hope is certainly that once she find outs out Eddie was covering for Barry at Joe's demands that she'll forgive Eddie and put her anger where it belongs, on her father.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, what's the alternative to "pressuring Eddie into something he's not comfortable with"?

Actually having a conversation with him about it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah man gently caress that bitch, she should just accept the man's word for it, like a bitch oughta to

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Xealot posted:

"Actually, Barry, I just talked to Iris. She says you and Linda broke up, but is it cool if she joins? She's dating this new guy who sounds super cool...Leonard something?"

Heh.

Snart: "Hi, Barry, nice work with that Trickster gentleman the other week!"
Eddie: "Wait, Captain fuckin' Cold knows before Iris?"

Though someone made a crack about the captains on this show being gay, and I'd be fine if they rolled with Miller's real-life sexuality and made Cold into dudes. I mean, how often is it even going to be relevant?

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Snart doesn't work with Heatwave just because fire and ice is cool.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Scyantific posted:

You're at least the second person to mention this and I don't think anyone addressed it either time but I'm pretty sure Barry delivered the streaker to them. He dropped him off in the back of the car and told them why he picked him up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sekkira posted:

Actually having a conversation with him about it.

Which she did? Granted it wasn't the most well written one but that comes back to the fact that we're watching a pulpy comic book show. But she said she wasn't comfortable just ignoring that something was bothering him like she did with her father and she wanted to know what it was. And he wouldn't tell her so she walked away. What was her other option?

Iris: Eddie, you're keeping secrets from me and I'm not ok with that. I know that you being a cop means you know and see stuff that weighs on you and I saw with my father that he tried to protect me from it. But that won't work with this relationship so you need to share it with me or else this won't work.

Eddie: Sorry, I can't.

Iris: Well, ok. At least you tried. Guess I'll change then so we can stay together.

Timett posted:

You're at least the second person to mention this and I don't think anyone addressed it either time but I'm pretty sure Barry delivered the streaker to them. He dropped him off in the back of the car and told them why he picked him up.

Yeah, Barry showed up with the streaker. I actually don't think Joe said "Barry" when they were in the car. But either way Joe and Eddie didn't anticipate that guy being there because he was Barry's collar.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

BrianWilly posted:

So how about that superhuman prison eh?

They should put Iris in it. To protect her.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Iris is also a journalist. You'd think she'd try a different approach to get an answer when somebody, especially her boyfriend clams up in response to a question. Unless this is supposed to be a commentary on her being a terrible journalist.

Hell, the more I think about it, a good 5 minute scene in the show with such a conversation of Iris trying to pry out answers out of Eddie tactfully would have gone a long way to actually show off her character. It still could have been written to end with an ultimatum like that and we'd have more of her character to go on as well as feel different about it. Iris would come across as a more sympathetic, strong and interesting character rather than a child throwing a tantrum at not getting her way.

Plus, it would have made Eddie look more like an rear end in a top hat (which he really is) if he didn't straight up say "You know what? gently caress Joe. Barry is the Flash and Joe's been trying to keep it from you. I've been trying to do the right thing by him, but he's being a dick."

But I suppose they want to keep Eddie looking like the good guy here, when he's really not. Iris should be justified doing this, she should be coming across as justified. But she's not.

Sekkira fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 16, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

mikeraskol posted:

I don't think you quite understand the fact that everybody knows except Iris.

Everybody.

I wish I had any video editing skills because this just cries out for an edit of the new Silicon Valley.

"Iris.
Barry is the Flash."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

While I agree that Iris is a poorly developed character especially as far as her journalism (although in that regard I think its a lot like Laurel/Canary where the entire story is that they're new at their jobs and not very good and fans seem to think that's somehow a writing flaw instead of just a logical choice for where the character is) I don't really think that has anything to do with this case.

Iris's ENTIRE problem with Eddie is that she doesn't like that he's keeping secrets from her. To that end it doesn't matter what the secret is or if she can figure it out on her own. The issue is Eddie's choice not to tell her and there's only one possible solution to that. Eddie has to tell her.

He won't because of Joe/Barry so she walks away and we sympathize for him. But disliking her for walking away when she doesn't know Eddie's motivations is a lot like the old "getting mad at Skylar for being pissed Walt is lying to her" thing. From her perspective its 100% reasonable to walk away from a partner that is clearly lying and won't come clean.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Go read the edit (in case you missed it).

Those of us that don't like Iris aren't liking her because of the writing. She should be likeable, but she's coming across as a child. Eddie should be the rear end in a top hat here, but he's coming across as the good guy. And that's the real tragedy of the writing.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
What if it were Eddie rather than Barry that said something like

"I've got some things going on at work that are taking a tole but I'm just not allowed to discuss it"

I don't think it's anything like people who were mad at Skylar for no reason.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

STAC Goat posted:

Iris's ENTIRE problem with Eddie is that she doesn't like that he's keeping secrets from her. To that end it doesn't matter what the secret is or if she can figure it out on her own. The issue is Eddie's choice not to tell her and there's only one possible solution to that. Eddie has to tell her.

Eddie's a cop and Iris is a reporter. There are things cops can't tell reporters. Like, somewhere in the real world right now there's a cop/reporter pair that are dealing with this issue. Iris should realize that there are things Eddie just can't tell her, because of his job (and because of hers).

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

STAC Goat posted:

But there's really no difference between those two statements besides phrasing. "This relationship won't work like this and its your choice whether to change that" is the same message in both of those. It may not be nice and we feel for Eddie because we know he's just respecting Joe and Barry's wishes and secrets. But "ultimatum" is a loaded word in relationships even though the reality is that every relationship has SOME key issue that can make or break it and there comes a point where someone has to choose whether to fix it or not.

I mean, what's the alternative to "pressuring Eddie into something he's not comfortable with"? That Iris just continue on with the relationship despite the fact that she's clearly not comfortable with the way its going? That seems a little unfair to Iris.

Of course creating a scene at a dinner with some random people is immature. And of course this whole thing is much bigger than Iris realizes and is really more about her father and brother than her boyfriend. But she doesn't know any of that. All she knows is that her boyfriend is going through something and rather than share it with her is lying about it. And that isn't working for her. My hope is certainly that once she find outs out Eddie was covering for Barry at Joe's demands that she'll forgive Eddie and put her anger where it belongs, on her father.

If Iris hadn't originally coached it in terms of doing an article on the Flash that would all be fine but she did so Eddie is under no obligation to tell her squat any more than Iris should reveal sources to Eddie if he asked. Her making it about her ability to trust him is moving the goal posts.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Seems like Eddie could defuse things if instead of "I can't tell you" he said "it's not mine to tell." Or maybe I'm just being too reasonable about the whole thing.

The whole "don't tell Iris" thing is an artifact of the early episodes. Iris wants to be a cop, Joe wants to keep her safe, it all comes to a head in the Clock King episode and they pretty much sort things out, but Barry's identity was left on the side. On that one note Joe's still in "must keep Iris safe even to the point of stupidity" mode, and instead of tying that up and fixing it they milk it for drama. It's not even Barry's choice any more, on this one issue Joe's treating both twenty-somethings like they're sixteen.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The real question is, can Iris use the metahuman toilets they have in the underground prison

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Chokes McGee posted:

The real question is, can Iris use the metahuman toilets they have in the underground prison

I'm sure she knows how to use the shells.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Whizbang posted:

They should put Iris in it. To protect her us.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Xealot posted:

"We can't tell Iris yet, because nobody's in specific mortal danger and the reveal wouldn't carry enough dramatic weight...have you no showmanship, Eddie?"

All would be forgiven if this actually happened. Ooh make it Cold who stops Eddie from telling her with this line.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Granted I don't know much about DC villains, will Barry ever face a meta with hard light projection powers who's real name is Hal O'Gram?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Granted I don't know much about DC villains, will Barry ever face a meta with hard light projection powers who's real name is Hal O'Gram?

Well, he fought a dude who manipulated emotions indexed across visual spectra for colors, and his name was Roy G. Bivolo. So, sure, why not.

• Locked thread