Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Cultural Imperial posted:

Give it a try. Chicago too.

I heard Winnipeg is a hotbed of aerospace. No joke. Something about that place is drawing a lot of drone engineering. I don't know if it's bullshit though.

It is true. Bristol Aerospace is headquartered there, they make the Black Brant rocket. Which you probably have never heard of but is really important (apparently) for high altitude science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

tagesschau posted:

You misspelled "LaGuardia." Newark is easily the best of the NYC-area airports.

Orlando is a pretty awful airport. But that may be due more to the clientele than to the facilities.

the two hours I spent walking through the stupid Untied Terminal says your wrong.

Orlando is pretty well planned out honestly but I"m guessing during peak season it's hell on earth, I went through in October and it was nice

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Has there ever been a crash that people in power predicted? Instead of just saying "oh things look bad but it will all be fine"
I'm guessing the people in power have a vested interest in talking about how bad things aren't, because if they were ever honest there would be panic. That sounds pretty :tinfoil: though -- maybe they're all just as dumb as they continually look.

But can you imagine the public reaction if Harper got on the mic and said, "Commodity prices are down and poo poo's about to hit the fan. Buckle up."

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

unlimited shrimp posted:

I'm guessing the people in power have a vested interest in talking about how bad things aren't, because if they were ever honest there would be panic. That sounds pretty :tinfoil: though -- maybe they're all just as dumb as they continually look.

But can you imagine the public reaction if Harper got on the mic and said, "Commodity prices are down and poo poo's about to hit the fan. Buckle up."

Alberta.gif

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sbaldrick posted:

You call and demand on a hold on the fly in the air, learn to fly son (note, this only works if you have multiple people missing the connection anymore)

I tried that. You've not dealt with Air Canada's flight attendants before, have you? Requesting that they "do a thing" puts them in an even worse mood, even when done politely.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
So back to housing chat. Another one of these popped up while I was on my way into the office.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

OSI bean dip posted:

So back to housing chat. Another one of these popped up while I was on my way into the office.

Oh hell yes, Reverend Horton Heat! :dance:

Oh and I guess someone's selling a house too. Neat.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Oh hell yes, Reverend Horton Heat! :dance:

Oh and I guess someone's selling a house too. Neat.

Thanks for stealing my reply, jerk. :mad:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What kind of lovely condo would you have to have to rent it for a paltry $850/month? It must be small, terribly located, or otherwise quite lovely. Even some pretty terrible rentals here in Calgary easily go above the four-figure mark.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

It's different though. Both places have absurdly expensive real estate, but renting in Vancouver is dramatically cheaper than SF.

The cost of renting in SF is completely absurd with 1Br being $3k+ being the norm, whereas in Vancouver it's "only" ~$1200. If you hunt around it's still possible to find something for under $1k. As a result if you can cobble together a down payment it seems very much worth it to buy in SF vs renting.

I have no idea what causes this odd dynamic of super high rents in SF. High housing prices in Vancouver has not caused a similar sky high rent.

There are tons of software folks getting big 6 figure salaries in SF so I guess they're bidding up all the rentals across the city but not as many buying houses? Everyone I know in SF immediately tried to buy a house because the rent was so high. Given the salaries in SF the price of housing doesn't seem that bad...

It still sucks if you aren't one of the chosen ones who lands a big paying facebook, google and startup job. Even a regular white collar job can lead to be financially stretched due to rents increasing by ~10 percent each year and it's not like you will be getting a 10 percent raise each year.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Lately I have been getting an unusual number of emails from recruiters at Seattle, SV, SF, and LA-based companies, including Facebook. I even got an offer from a firm in Venice Beach. If this stuff had come up a couple months earlier I would probably jump on it, but I literally just moved downtown and totally eliminated commuting from my life. If I went to any of those cities I'd be looking at a 45 minute commute each way, and car payments, and $2000 a month for rent. It would be great for my career but terrible for my quality of life.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 16, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Careers are only vehicles to maintain or grow your quality if life, if you're happy be happy. Stress and time have actual costs. I'd rather make 40k a year in a chill job and walk to work than make 80k at a stressful job with a 45min commute. 150k... maybe. 200k? Probably. All depends on how you cost out your stress and time. Some people seem to think the protestant work ethic requires them to ignore such things and work them selves to death for every possible pay rise, bonus, or career advancement. They spend their lives thinking they'll finally be happy one day with just a bit more money, just 3 more letters after their name on their business card, just a few hundred more square feet in their house.

I know a guy who moved to SF a few years ago because it was "good for his career". It reached a financial dead end in the amazing Vancouver tech scene so he moved down there to make what was to me "crazy money" but it was bottom of the barrel crazy money in SF because he was over-worked, miserable, and could barely afford either the time or money to have fun. Fairly smart and frugal guy too so he wasn't being stupid with his money down there. Ended up moving back after a year. The rents are absolutely insane.

What exactly causes huge discrepancies in rent vs purchase ? SF has very high condo/house prices but also gently caress off crazy rents, Seattle has pretty expensive rents and condos. Vancouver has the insane buying prices, but rents are just a touch higher than Victoria. My theory is that rents are a product of local incomes plus supply/demand while housing prices are the same factors but with the added "speculation" factor, in which people pay far higher prices than demand and local income would normally produce out of a belief they can sell for far higher later.

I mean if someone offered you a bean for sale you'd judge it based on your hunger for beans, but if they offered you a bean for $100 you'd tell them to gently caress off. Now if you saw other people buying beans for $100 and later selling them for $150 you'd think hey, I should get in on this. Obviously I'd never buy a bean just to eat for $100, but as an investment sure! The problem is, lots of people just want to eat a loving bean and have to deal with the prices being driven up by the people who think they are magical. If the idea that they were magical was dispelled, the bean prices would return to a level based on local income and demand. Then again RICH CHINESE want to eat all the beans, their appetite is insatiable and their pockets bottomless. Previous bean bubbles did not have this bottomless demand so it's different this time. Also something about beans and Vancouver being a fart.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 16, 2015

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

THC posted:

Lately I have been getting an unusual number of emails from recruiters at Seattle, SV, SF, and LA-based companies, including Facebook. I even got an offer from a firm in Venice Beach. If this stuff had come up a couple months earlier I would probably jump on it, but I literally just moved downtown and totally eliminated commuting from my life. If I went to any of those cities I'd be looking at a 45 minute commute each way, and car payments, and $2000 a month for rent. It would be great for my career but terrible for my quality of life.

What? You don't need a car if you stick to the westside until the expo line is finished in ~1 year and then you can go anywhere almost. Rent a 1 Bedroom in West Los Angeles for $1800 or in Santa Monica for $2500 (yikes) and then take the Big Blue Bus to work every day, or walk. I don't know how sweet your deal is, but as a resident of the westside of Los Angeles, if I got a good offer in Venice Beach I would take it without a second thought and I hate commuting with a burning passion. I walk to work in Santa Monica.

unlimited shrimp posted:

I think it was the head of Citibank who said, about the financial crisis, that he and everyone knew what was coming but they "just couldn't stop dancing" because the money was so good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

What exactly causes huge discrepancies in rent vs purchase ? SF has very high condo/house prices but also gently caress off crazy rents, Seattle has pretty expensive rents and condos. Vancouver has the insane buying prices, but rents are just a touch higher than Victoria. My theory is that rents are a product of local incomes plus supply/demand while housing prices are the same factors but with the added "speculation" factor, in which people pay far higher prices than demand and local income would normally produce out of a belief they can sell for far higher later.

Well in the case of SF it's basically all driven by the next tech bubble pumping billions of dollars into the area and thousands of new rich assholes into the area. SF did a study which predicted even if the ambitious new housing target could be met, prices for both homes and rents would still stay sky high.

Only way to really fix is for the tech bubble to crash and burn. I moved to the Bay Area last year and locals tell me traffic magically improved after the 90s dot com crash for a few years.
Then you had Google setting up shop/Apple going big and the next big surge of VC money getting sucked into the bay area which changed everything.

http://valleywag.gawker.com/techs-dream-of-building-our-way-to-affordability-will-n-1606368906

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

etalian posted:

Well in the case of SF it's basically all driven by the next tech bubble pumping billions of dollars into the area and thousands of new rich assholes into the area. SF did a study which predicted even if the ambitious new housing target could be met, prices for both homes and rents would still stay sky high.

Only way to really fix is for the tech bubble to crash and burn. I moved to the Bay Area last year and locals tell me traffic magically improved after the 90s dot com crash for a few years.
Then you had Google setting up shop/Apple going big and the next big surge of VC money getting sucked into the bay area which changed everything.

http://valleywag.gawker.com/techs-dream-of-building-our-way-to-affordability-will-n-1606368906

My personal feeling is that there is no bubble (this time around companies actually have revenue!) so I think this is the new normal for SF. They've moved up a notch into that NYC/London territory where it's just going to be a given that there's a ton of super highly paid people walking around.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Yes, this is common sense. You can get a mortgage to pay for your house. You can't get a mortgage to pay your rent.

etalian posted:

SF has awful zoning, which explains a lot of it, but prices are awful throughout the South Bay as well. The tech bubble crashing and burning might have some effect, but there are so many people here that already 'made it' from Google or Facebook or Twitter or whatever that there will always be an obscene amount of money looking for property in a relatively small space. It's funny how ~foreign speculation~ is a boogeyman out here as well.

THC posted:

It's funny you mention this, because I recently switched jobs and traded a walk-across-the-street commute at a super chill company for a somewhat more demanding job with a 45 minute commute, but at a company that I really believed in. So far, it's been awesome.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

lol look at you dumb bitches

I still get 3 to 4 emails from London recruiters per week for 6 figure jobs. I get zero from Vancouver

That sounds pretty awesome. What career are you in?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

My personal feeling is that there is no bubble (this time around companies actually have revenue!) so I think this is the new normal for SF. They've moved up a notch into that NYC/London territory where it's just going to be a given that there's a ton of super highly paid people walking around.

The bubble is more on the VC side, the massive number of rich assholes in the USA means there's massive amounts of money being invested in private equity right now.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Ccs posted:

That sounds pretty awesome. What career are you in?

Computer janitation.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

This thread should just have a SF meetup at this point.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

blah_blah posted:

This thread should just have a SF meetup at this point.

This is an INS trap. Don't go!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
More like CRA/IRS trap

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Didn't file Canadian taxes this year, uh oh.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MickeyFinn posted:

This is an INS trap. Don't go!

it would only be a trap if Fremont was the meeting location

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

blah_blah posted:

Didn't file Canadian taxes this year, uh oh.

REPORTED

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
It would be cool of there were an incentive to report tax evasion.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Believe me, thanks to FBAR, the US government (and probably the Canadian government by proxy) knows literally everything about my finances.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

My personal feeling is that there is no bubble (this time around companies actually have revenue!) so I think this is the new normal for SF.

Most of them operate at a massive (if not absolute) loss while financing their growth with continuous investments based on investor confidence in future return. Snapchat and Über particularly have valuations and cash flows that wouldn't at all have been out of place in the IT bubble.

Facebook would be the exception I guess since it finally turned profitable in the last 2 years.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

Most of them operate at a massive (if not absolute) loss while financing their growth with continuous investments based on investor confidence in future return. Snapchat and Über particularly have valuations and cash flows that wouldn't at all have been out of place in the IT bubble.

Comparing Uber to the worse excesses of the IT bubble is pretty dumb. The amount of money Uber makes in bookings is huge, and there's a pretty decent chance at this point that they will end up cornering a large percentage of the transportation market on the entire planet, to say nothing of the potential other markets that that reach will give them access to. Is it enough to justify their valuation? Maybe not, and it depends on a lot of regulatory things going forward, but they are already shockingly good at generating revenue.

Snapchat, whatever, but I assume their endgame is to get acquired by someone that does know how to monetize their user base.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Whelp, I have entered the ranks of the unemployed finally. With the state of the economy and the fact that I've effectively been getting paid to do nothing for six years, I'm pretty hosed eh?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What sort of work? Transferable skills to other jobs/locations? I remember mentioning you're like me, no fancy education but did a super niche job.

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

The Netherlands are my favorite place in the world. The architecture, culture, music scene, food, beer, people, and landscape all appeal to me.

I'm going to Defqon 1 this June it's gonna be one of the best moments of my life.

Amsterdam isn't the only good city. If someone told me I could go live in Utrecht I'd drop everything and leave in an instant.

Utrecht is gorgeous and is a short hop to other major cities. All the charm of Amsterdam without any of the seediness. Plus it has an amazing event center (the Jarbeurs) with lots of great events comparable to Defqon (I go to ASOT every year).

Alberta's equivalent is like... Red Deer? Doesn't compare...

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Rime posted:

Whelp, I have entered the ranks of the unemployed finally. With the state of the economy and the fact that I've effectively been getting paid to do nothing for six years, I'm pretty hosed eh?

If my company goes under I'm just as hosed as you are. The only skill I use at work is reading comprehension and social skills. All my specialized aircraft knowledge is useless the moment this company goes under or stops making them.

It's not enough for me to parachute into a cushy airline or lessor job like my co-workers since I don't have 15+ yrs experience. I really should have jumped into that inside sales job at Salesforce when I had the chance. Couldve made 5k more + commissions but my family dissuaded me telling me it isn't secure and 'll be fired.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Oh my god you passed on salesforce

Wtf

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Oh my god you passed on salesforce

Wtf

I would've been on the phone all day cold calling leads and vetting the good ones to someone else who closes the deal. I was led to believe there was no job security and that I'm not a sales guy. In retrospect the change probably would have made me a lot happier than this sinking ship. For all I know maybe I would've doubled my quota and could actually afford to leave my parents house rather than languish in this hole of a cubicle on a dead end program.

My family found out what I was trying to do and put immense pressure on me to stay where I am using every imaginable argument they could muster about how I'd burn out at the new job and how I could lose it and go back to being permanently unemployed.

They were trying super hard to sell me on the job. I had calls with them for interview preparation and they were trying hard to make me look like a rock star. To me that seemed very suspcious especially for a high turnover department. I'm very wary of being "sold" on taking a job in this economic climate. There is always a catch and I suspect the risk was entirely in my court rather than theirs.

I was also nervous about how management uses dashboards to track your call performance in real time. You're ranked against other people and I think the non performers got laid off while the good people were promoted 12 months later. There's nowhere to hide.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 16, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I know IT sales guys who pull in $300k doing sweet gently caress all. They're in those jobs because they have social skills. They're dumb as loving rocks. One guy I know is obsessed with the zeitgeist documentaries and won't shut the gently caress up about central banking conspiracies. He's also perpetually in debt and his wife is a west side princess who can't stop spending money to keep up appearances.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

I know IT sales guys who pull in $300k doing sweet gently caress all. They're in those jobs because they have social skills. They're dumb as loving rocks. One guy I know is obsessed with the zeitgeist documentaries and won't shut the gently caress up about central banking conspiracies. He's also perpetually in debt and his wife is a west side princess who can't stop spending money to keep up appearances.

The sort that I hate because I'm a sperg and can't speak to another human being.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

You can't do gently caress all at Salesforce dude. They know how many calls you make per day, which calls led to sales and which did not. They know your performance relative to other employees. You can't gently caress around in a company that wrote the book on sales performance management.

Again my main reason for not taking it is because it's an overpaid telemarketing position. Other companies pay 35k for the same position. Anyone I asked about it said they hated their lives when they worked this job.

What happens if the company already saturated the markets? I know the more senior account execs already tied up the big accounts. This job is basically scrounging for table scraps in the American northeast. They can take a chance on me because the expense of hiring and firing me is a drop in the bucket compared to the potential profit they could make if I capture even 1 lead.

Let's not forget this is Canada. How many SMEs do you think have the need let alone the money for salesforce?

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 16, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
While this was just a poo poo inside sales job, it will lead to other better jobs. I know it's too late now but consider that the sales shits I know started selling bottled water, moving up to advertising for local papers, to photocopier rentals to IT sales (servers, software) that lead to loving bullshit six figure salaries.

Sales is extremely portable across industries. You're not being paid to know what the gently caress you're selling. You're being paid to give an excellent blow job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

All you unemployed can move to Seattle and try working for this guy.