Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Slate Action posted:

If Fox did a limited edition box set of The X-Files on blu-ray they could charge...quite a lot of money and it would still sell out very fast.

The HD prints of X-Files look great. They need to just get them out there regardless of format, the German's have them already so people have transplanted dubbed audio with the UK or US discs and it's awesome to see.

DrVenkman posted:

Funnily enough, I remember the Sunny guys saying that the HD masters of that show were so bad that they felt uncomfortable with the idea that people would pay for it.

Yeah it was a pretty cheap trick of FX to release HD upscales of episodes that were shot in SD. The only advantage you could really get is better audio (which nobody would notice), a stronger codec to encode in (again, fairly minimal) and possible they put all the episodes on one disc (which they probably didn't, as they undoubtedly encoded them in 1080p then needed the bitrate to be raised to deal with this).

There'd be nothing wrong IMO if they took old shows and put them out as SD on Blu-Ray as long as they were totally honest. Storage and convenience would be a bonus of it, especially on shows that take up serious shelf space and won't ever get HD prints.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

DrVenkman posted:

Funnily enough, I remember the Sunny guys saying that the HD masters of that show were so bad that they felt uncomfortable with the idea that people would pay for it.

That was in regard to one season where they were still shooting SD but it was being upscaled to 1080p for the Blu-ray. The very next season was when they began shooting in HD.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Innerspace is coming on August 4th from Warner.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Innerspace is coming on August 4th from Warner.

And yet we still can't even manage a DVD of Death Becomes Her in widescreen.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

CPL593H posted:

And yet we still can't even manage a DVD of Death Becomes Her in widescreen.

Isn't there a german Blu out of Death Becomes her?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Trump posted:

Isn't there a german Blu out of Death Becomes her?

I don't know, but there's a really good HD master they use on tv. That movie is way too good to only be available in a lovely pan and scan transfer that was unceremoniously dumped onto DVD 15 years ago.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So a couple weeks after adding the DVD of Duel to my Amazon wish list and accepting that it was probably never coming out on Blu-Ray, now I find out that it's getting a Blu-Ray release out of loving nowhere :stare:

I never thought it was that popular of a movie, but I guess there's enough interest in it to put out a Blu-Ray re-release. That's rad. The last time I saw it was over 10 years ago but I remember it really affecting me and I've been wanting to see it again for a while.

This comes out 5/5, so in just a few weeks.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So a couple weeks after adding the DVD of Duel to my Amazon wish list and accepting that it was probably never coming out on Blu-Ray, now I find out that it's getting a Blu-Ray release out of loving nowhere :stare:

I never thought it was that popular of a movie, but I guess there's enough interest in it to put out a Blu-Ray re-release. That's rad. The last time I saw it was over 10 years ago but I remember it really affecting me and I've been wanting to see it again for a while.

This comes out 5/5, so in just a few weeks.

You're clearly not checking well enough. It's been on Blu-ray since last fall, just as part of a Spielberg boxset. And even if you didn't want the boxset, those things almost always get split up in a fairly short amount of time. And there have also been standalone region-free imports of Duel on Blu-ray from Universal - and again, even if you didn't want to import, an international release from the same rights holder as in the US is a drat good sign that it will come to the US soon as well.

So not

quote:

out of loving nowhere :stare:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Neo_Reloaded posted:

You're clearly not checking well enough. It's been on Blu-ray since last fall, just as part of a Spielberg boxset. And even if you didn't want the boxset, those things almost always get split up in a fairly short amount of time. And there have also been standalone region-free imports of Duel on Blu-ray from Universal - and again, even if you didn't want to import, an international release from the same rights holder as in the US is a drat good sign that it will come to the US soon as well.

So not

I think this might be the smuggest post I've ever seen in the blu-ray thread.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think this might be the smuggest post I've ever seen in the blu-ray thread.

It's instructional :eng101:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Neo_Reloaded posted:

So not
Well poo poo, I wasn't even aware of that Spielberg boxset, let alone that it was part of that. I'm just glad it's getting a standalone US release soon, because I've looked for it before and never seen one until now.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Flicker Alley is releasing Man with a Movie Camera on June 2nd. It also has several other Vertov films included.

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit
Perhaps I missed an earlier post, but motherfucking Robot Jox is finally coming to Blu-Ray!

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Battle Rockers posted:

Perhaps I missed an earlier post, but motherfucking Robot Jox is finally coming to Blu-Ray!

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

not to mention Breakin' 1 & 2

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Egbert Souse posted:

Flicker Alley is releasing Man with a Movie Camera on June 2nd. It also has several other Vertov films included.

What score are they including?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

What score are they including?

Alloy Orchestra. Great choice since Michael Nyman's doesn't seem to sync at all, despite sounding appropriate. The other films in the set are Kino-Eye, Three Songs About Lenin, and Enthusiasm. Man is a new restoration with a more complete version than any previous edition. The rest of the silents have scores by Robert Israel.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Egbert Souse posted:

Alloy Orchestra. Great choice since Michael Nyman's doesn't seem to sync at all, despite sounding appropriate. The other films in the set are Kino-Eye, Three Songs About Lenin, and Enthusiasm. Man is a new restoration with a more complete version than any previous edition. The rest of the silents have scores by Robert Israel.

I've only seen Man with the Alloy Orchestra soundtrack myself, so I can't compare to Nyman. It definitely worked well thematically, but it always struck me as a bit on the thin side, primarily because it seems that it was mostly done with synth instruments.

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit

Rusty Staub posted:

not to mention Breakin' 1 & 2

Now how about a Region A Beat Street?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Bad Lieutenant (the good one) is down to $4.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SUVYRNRYGW5QVMW

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Does not compute. They're both "the good one."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Clicked on link, didn't see Nicolas Cage, have decided you're either a liar or have bad taste. I mean, this one is FINE, but the Herzog one is an order of magnitude better.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Does not compute. They're both "the good one."

I didn't get the appeal of the Herzog one. There's way better movies to see Nick Cage act all nutty in.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Call Me Charlie posted:

I didn't get the appeal of the Herzog one. There's way better movies to see Nick Cage act all nutty in.
There's a couple, but Port of Call New Orleans is a prime example of batshit insane Nic Cage handled by a batshit insane filmmaker and the result is glorious.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
Zardoz arrived the other day and I'm thrilled.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

In addition to him acting nutty, it's also a legit great movie.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

I feel like that row of films is missing Swamp Thing or Repo Man or something.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Red posted:

Forbidden Zone

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I didn't even know there was a Darkman bluray. I gotta step up my game.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Red posted:

They Live too.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Red posted:

Criterion's Repo Man is really nice.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

Got mine today, very excited to watch it.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

el oso posted:

Got mine today, very excited to watch it.

It's absolutely beautiful.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
I own way too many of those Scream Factory blu rays...I even have "Squirm" :negative:

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Cthulusnewzulubbq posted a bunch of pictures of his movie collection in the October horror thread last year, and it is indeed an awesome collection.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

I own way too many of those Scream Factory blu rays...I even have "Squirm" :negative:

I love their releases, I've impulse-bought several films I've never heard of just because of the Scream Factory label. Haven't been disappointed yet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Does it come with A Case of Spring Fever?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The new 4K scan of Goodfellas is coming out 5/5 - Warner included a clip in their email, and instead of it being a clip of the movie, it was a promo clip of a new interview with Robert De Niro. Guess we'll have to wait and see how much of an improvement it is over the last release.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Huh, I've somehow missed there was a commentary for Goodfellas. It seems a bit crowded, how is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Red posted:

Is Swamp Thing good? I'm like to roll the dice and blind-buy blu rays sometimes, I feel like Swamp Thing may be something I'd like. Its Craven right?

• Locked thread